Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Turbo Porsche Experience Day - Millbrook track

Sorry about the delay guys, had a rather busy weekend so only now had the chance to write in a little more detail about the Porsche Experience Day I had last week in the 2 Turbos.
  • 1st car spec: Basalt Black, Tiptronic, Steel Brakes
  • 2nd car spec: Dark Olive, Manual, PCCB

The day consisted of meeting up at a very nice country manor hotel, having a spot of lunch, then heading out on the public roads for about 30 mins followed by a few hours at the Millbrook track.

For those of you that don't already know, Millbrook is a testing facility and not a public racing track. These days manufacturers like Aston Martin have offices located at the track where they hone their cars each and every day. So other than the odd DB9, or Jag flying by the whole place is very very quiet. Very much like a Six Flags theme park all to yourself

I am going to compare against my C2S Cab quite a bit as this is what I will be upgrading from.

Acceleration
    On the mile straight the acceleration (especially in 2nd gear) is just mental. The car just turns into a total psychopath when the Turbos kick in. First gear is almost pointless as you need to change practically straight away after you take off. I must say that I didn't feel that much difference when in Sport Mode and the over-boost kicks in. When I get mine I will definitely just drive around in Sport mode though as otherwise you only get about 0.7bar on the Turbos when you plant your foot. To get the full 1.0 you need Sport on I found. After I got back in my C2S to drive home I realized how much more civilized a N/A engine is though. It accelerates so much more smoothly, whereas the Turbo is a real Jackal and Hyde between casual driving and sticking your foot down.

Handling
    Firstly, the Turbo feels much more planted than my Carrera, especially when accelerating. The steering is slightly heavier, and the clutch in the 3.6L engine much lighter. The grip this car has is simply ludicrous. Going round the inner handling circuit (with the instructor driving) was sheer madness. We were absolutely thrashing the car just to try to get the PSM warning light to come on. The instructor was driving like a maniac and still the car gripped and went like you wouldn't believe. How anyone can complain about too much over/under-steer must be doing some seriously high speed cornering. I would say my driving limits are only about 7/10 on a twisty track, on the public roads I don't see how anyone could even put the car through 5/10 of its limits.

Manual vs Tiptronic
    I spent a lot more time in the Manual Turbo than I did in the Tiptronic, mainly because I will be getting a manual myself. The reason being my Turbo will be more of a weekend toy than a town commuting car. But I would say that the Tip does have 3 main advantages. Firstly, better in stop/start traffic. Secondly, it let's you concentrate on steering instead of changing gear constantly when accelerating (eg. you spend more time looking at the revs than you do the road otherwise). Thirdly, it's much smoother than hitting the rev limiter all the time in manual when accelerating hard. However, the car is just so much more involving with a manual. You do have to aim to up-shift when you hit 6000rpm otherwise you hit the rev limiter all the time - 1st and 2nd gear especially which just disappear in seconds. So that's just a practice thing really.

PCCB vs Steel brakes
    I definitely preferred the feel of the PCCB brakes over the steel ones. They bite a little earlier and for me are more confidence inspiring. We did lots of emergency brake tests from 30mph, 60mph with no hands, 70mph with swerve avoidance, 100mph and even 160mph. The only downside is that the PCCB brakes did squeal when only doing gentle braking. I believe this got better after our high speed brake executions though.

Noise
    I actually wasn't that disappointed with the MY07 Turbos I had (manual was better than Tip) in terms of exhaust/engine sounds whilst I was driving them. Obviously, afterwards, getting back into my Carrera with a hacked-open Sports Exhaust put things more into context. So I will still add a Cargraphic exhaust pretty soon after delivery,

Limited Slip Dif
    Although neither car had a LSD I did ask all the instructors about this option. The overwhelming verdict was that unless you wanted to do power-slides on a track then don't bother. I am still going to order mine with a LSD as I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

All in all, I was very impressed with the Turbo after my track day. A 20 min demo on public roads really doesn't do the car justice. So if you are thinking about getting one then a Porsche Experience Day gets a huge thumbs up in my book.

• Re: Turbo Porsche Experience Day - Millbrook track

Thanks for the great write up!

Re: Turbo Porsche Experience Day - Millbrook track

Thanks! Agree on the PCCBs which I have gotten on my TT.

Awesome. Very well done.

Great write up - looks like a great place. I want that in my backyard LOL!!

Alex (UK),

Nice review, particularly regarding the tip vs. manual debate. Sounds like you had alot of fun with the manual. Although you had minimal time in the tip and you did not time your laps, what vehicle do you think that you would have been faster in (around Millbrook) ? Assuming your an average driver (like me and I assume most of us) I would think the tip for all of the reasons you stated. As a tip owner I'm biased, but I think you stated quite succinctly the numerous advantages of the tip.

Thanks Alex for taking the time to write up your experiences. It's posts like yours that help stay relatively sane while I wait for my car!

Do any Aussies know if we have a similar kind of offering (Porsche Experience Day) in Australia?

Hi Alex

Great write up,I did the same thing last year,it was great great fun.
    Tell me what is the situation in the UK with reagrds to aftermarket exhausts and warranty with Porsche ? I had a horrendous experinece with Porsche with my 996tt and am concerned that installing a exhaust will allow them all sorts of reasons not to duck and dive out of warranty work.

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    Although you had minimal time in the tip and you did not time your laps, what vehicle do you think that you would have been faster in (around Millbrook) ?

Unless you are very good at left foot braking, heal'n'toe , and have a lot of racing experience then I think the Tiptronic will be faster around most tracks.

Quote:
    franki68 said:
    Tell me what is the situation in the UK with regards to aftermarket exhausts and warranty with Porsche ?

Well I know a lot of 996 Turbo owners do have after market exhaust and powerkits (DMS is common in the UK for example) as when you look for used models they typically declare this.

I asked my OPC this question at the weekend and their response was that if I changed out the exhaust and the people that fitted it 'touched something they shouldn't have' this can cause problems which the OPC simply won't cover under warranty.

They did say though that the service engineers do get very excited when they see aftermarket kits as it's something new for them to look at.

I think changing the exhaust is much less of a deal than changing the ECU.

Very nice report. Thank you.

Really good write up. I believe Tiff Needell tested the 996 Turbo when it first came out on the Millbrook Circuit.

Thanks for posting this.

Good write up Alex. I have still to take up the Millbrook day and by the sound of it its worth the visit.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Limited Slip Dif
    Although neither car had a LSD I did ask all the instructors about this option. The overwhelming verdict was that unless you wanted to do power-slides on a track then don't bother. I am still going to order mine with a LSD as I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Alex, did you go for this option? I didn't when I placed the order last week, but think that I will add it. It is odd that the lsd is not really seen as a must-have in the UK (and I haven't come across it on any of the Approved used ones that I've seen) whereas it is in the US. What do you think is the reason for this difference of view?

Yes, on my list:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=350921&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

This thread talks about whether to add LSD or not.

I think the reason it's not a must have here is the same reason the colour red is worth 7-9k less on resales - because the Sales people discourage you from getting it in the first place!!

Alex, great spec.

Why aren't the dealers interested in pushing the lsd? :-) It brings an extra Pounds1k. Do they consider that it makes the car less attractive for re-sale (suggesting that it was specced for track use)?

They consider it a redundant system when in combination with 4WD. They say unless you do a LOT of track work and really push the car very hard then it is not necessary.

The problem is: how do you really know, when you order the car, whether you will want to track it? Unless you can know for certain that you will not, the lsd seems to be a sensible option (given the price). And, in light of the incredible power and performance of the car and the ever-reducing scope to deploy it properly (or fully) on the UK roads, I don't think I could be certain that I would never track it.

It's just curious how strong the opinions of US owners are (in favour of the lsd), given the lukewarm enthusiasm of UK dealers.

Quote:
    skrambles said:
    It's just curious how strong the opinions of US owners are (in favour of the lsd), given the lukewarm enthusiasm of UK dealers.

The difference is that the US owners you come across on rennteam are generally car enthusiasts.

I ordered it in my TT for Sydney Australia delivery. My salesman also tried to talk me out of it (also tried to talk me into a tip). Where I live I'm fortunate enough to have 20 - 30 miles of quiet twisty roads through hilly bushland. I'll be using the car there a lot and figured it migh help me get through all the hairpins a little quicker. I don't really know if it will but it's not a lot of money to find out. I don't think it will make much difference at resale here in Oz though.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805173 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449032 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266671 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90284 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6928 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886533 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835276 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM