Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

If you had $240K: new 997GT2 or used F430 coupe

Maybe I'm asking this in the wrong forum but, I'm thinking of eventually buying a 2006 F430 to go along with my 997S. But at that price, maybe I should get a new 997 GT2. Which would you get and why?

Re: If you had $240K: new 997GT2 or used F430 coupe

I think the F430 is getting outdated and will have a replacement coming out very soon, I would go for the GT2 as it will last a bit longer. Plus the performance figure of GT2 should be much better then the F430.

How do you plan to use your cars?....daily commuting/wkend mtn twisties/track/just posing on sunny wkend PMs in BevHills/NwptCoast?

If need/want just one car for commuting and wkend twisties and on a budget, would lease a new 599/Scud at mkt (if can't get one at MSRP in near-term); ditch the useless, outdated 997S that isn't free anyway....

For past some 9mos (since US 599 launch), 430 is an ancient-tech poseur car for those who can't get a new 599 (even dentists in SF already have 599s now; and the serious repeat F buyers will be trading in their commuter 599s for commuter Scuds in next few mths )....and GT2 is an incredibly expensive car (when considering deprec) w/fairly laughable tech advances....w/archaic turbo lag; a codger's tranny; and commute-incompatible ground clearance (and no Bluetooth/iPod/commuter-relevant fuel tank capac, unlike 599/Scud )....not to mention zero status value in jaded parts of LA/SF/NYC....

I would wait for the first reviews to see how the GT2 performs/handles and if it is as good as hoped then go for it!

If I get the F430, it will be the weekend car/occasional commuter car. The 997S will fill in the gap during the week. If I get the GT2, I would get rid of the 997S. It will be the commuter car. No sense in having two 997 based cars. (I don't have that far to drive. From Corona Del Mar to UCI. I.e., no traffic)

By the way, I saw a black 599 at Fashion Island in Newport Beach a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely beautiful car. The only 599 I've ever seen. Parked in front of Flemings Steakhouse.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    If I get the F430, it will be the weekend car/occasional commuter car. The 997S will fill in the gap during the week. If I get the GT2, I would get rid of the 997S. It will be the commuter car. No sense in having two 997 based cars. (I don't have that far to drive. From Corona Del Mar to UCI. I.e., no traffic)

By the way, I saw a black 599 at Fashion Island in Newport Beach a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely beautiful car. The only 599 I've ever seen. Parked in front of Flemings Steakhouse.

Alan, you gave yourself the answer. If you don't want more cars, get the GT2 instead of the 997, if you want to keep your 997, the F430 is an ideal stable mate. Both versions are highly desirable.

One car is easier than 2. I like black f430's and I have been looking at a manual one....its cool and all that, but
    I am sure the new GT2 is a more ruthless machine.

A GT2 has no social stigma, a Ferrari does.

The GT2 will have a very strong soul.

Get the GT2!

Quote:
    WBH said:
    How do you plan to use your cars?....daily commuting/wkend mtn twisties/track/just posing on sunny wkend PMs in BevHills/NwptCoast?

If need/want just one car for commuting and wkend twisties and on a budget, would lease a new 599/Scud at mkt (if can't get one at MSRP in near-term); ditch the useless, outdated 997S that isn't free anyway....

For past some 9mos (since US 599 launch), 430 is an ancient-tech poseur car for those who can't get a new 599 (even dentists in SF already have 599s now; and the serious repeat F buyers will be trading in their commuter 599s for commuter Scuds in next few mths )....and GT2 is an incredibly expensive car (when considering deprec) w/fairly laughable tech advances....w/archaic turbo lag; a codger's tranny; and commute-incompatible ground clearance (and no Bluetooth/iPod/commuter-relevant fuel tank capac, unlike 599/Scud )....not to mention zero status value in jaded parts of LA/SF/NYC....

997 GT2 with as you said "laughable tech advances"

How about safety standards on F430 Scuderia? Only two airbags(saftey standards year 1991.).
    F430 are very prone to fire. Did you see any 997 Turbo on fire? NO? It seems to be the case...

F430 Scuderia on long trips... Your ears will be tired of very, very loud exhaust note(it is pleasing on short bursts). BUT, you only commute via SF hills in your 599...

Ground clearance... Again you are wrong since F430 Scuderia is lower then normal F430.

...and I will end here since your last sentence said pretty much everything about you.

f430 is no match for the gt2. i pulled on an f430 with my turbo tip. the scuderia is a different animal...so you are more likely to compare gt2 with f430 scuderia.

the gt2 is perfect....save for the tranny. PDK would have made it the ultimate. the f430 scuderia has shift times of 60 milliseconds...amazing.

i will order a gt2 and my best friend carnut is going for the scuderia...i.e. buy one dirve two...how wonderful life can be

clear vote for the 911 GT2!

The GT2 is a great car; it faster then the F430 (much faster on a track) and has a gorgeous interior. Most people are sympathetic to the ubiquitous and familiar 911 and they can be driven and parked without attracting unwanted attention.

Ferraris have an image problem; they are considered flashy and pretentious by many, and their owners are often (wrongly?) presumed to be compensating for sexually inadequacy.

I prefer one great car that can be used everyday and everywhere from the track to the shops to two very good cars that have more limited utility. Why not drive a great car all the time if your lifestyle permits?

Re: If you had $240K: new 997GT2 or used F430 co

This is gonna sound like Ferrari bashing but I wish I you knew me so you'd see I wasn't BS'ing.

Long story short: I'd be wary of a used Ferrari. I was very close to buying an excellent used Testarossa (v12). The dealership is very well known and reputable. It's owner is also a "friend of the family." He pulled me aside and, shaking his head slightly said, "You don't want a pre-owned Ferrari." I got what he was saying. Basically they are headaches and I personally wouldn't "enjoy" throwing wads of cash and large amounts of concern at it to keeping it running like it should.

I'm not sure if this applies to the more modern F430, but I'm sure vintage copies are an "experience" to own.

I'd get the new Porsche anyday.

what about a gallardo...

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    what about a gallardo...

gallardo is sexy but not the greatest performer.....

A used G?
    You can save a lot of cash.

Personally I refuse to pay over MSRP.

The Gallardo and F430 are rivals. The GT2 is in a higher performance category.

It is without question that the 997GT2 will be a much better performer than the 430. Though new it also will be cheaper than a used 430. Thus on the face of it the GT2 is a no=brainer. But think again.

The GT2 is a hardcore track car and not designed for public streets. Its ride will be jarring and harsh. Its looks very much like the 100,000 other 997's produced and god knows how many more. It has a whale tail on the back which makes it look like a refugee from a local race track. Driving it to work would be the ultimate expression of a wannabe. AND finally, the GT2 if history is any indication, will probably lose about 30% of its value after one year use.

The 430 has its problems as well. It is headed toward the end of its life cycle. Its performance now has been exceeded by newer cars. Its footprint on public roads is very conspicuous attracting a lot of attention. Nevertheless, it is a very conducive car for daily driving especially if there is secure parking and the commute is not far.

My position is one should not pay over MSRP for a Ferrari if they have no plans to stay within the Ferrari family for future models. You pay the premium to be able to buy future Ferrari's at MSRP. If you have no intention of doing so or uncertain, don't buy the Ferrari.

nice position to be in...i would take a gallardo over an f430 as i think these are getting a little long in the tooth...if you can wait id line myself up with the f430 replacement...i wouldnt spend 200k + for a gt2 ever as i dont feel they have differeniated it enough from the tt visually or performance wise ...and imo they are ugly with the speed racer wing and awkward looking lower slats

We need confirmation but performancewise, but the GT2 should be much faster than the 997TT, especially if PTM is really to blame for some of the 997TT underperformance.

I'd buy the GT2 and sell the 997S - why keep both? While the F430 is terrific, I wouldn't pay over list price for one. If you must have the F430, wait until the new one comes out - and save some $$$.

GT2! In my city, there are several F430, and undoubtedly there will be fewer GT2...

If you are keeping the 997S it's ridiculous to get another 997 even a GT2.

997S AND 430 best combo period..... trust me.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    This is gonna sound like Ferrari bashing but I wish I you knew me so you'd see I wasn't BS'ing.

Long story short: I'd be wary of a used Ferrari. I was very close to buying an excellent used Testarossa (v12). The dealership is very well known and reputable. It's owner is also a "friend of the family." He pulled me aside and, shaking his head slightly said, "You don't want a pre-owned Ferrari." I got what he was saying. Basically they are headaches and I personally wouldn't "enjoy" throwing wads of cash and large amounts of concern at it to keeping it running like it should.

I'm not sure if this applies to the more modern F430, but I'm sure vintage copies are an "experience" to own.

I'd get the new Porsche anyday.

I met the guy who bought my used Stradale and he was right, the car really was better when he bought it then when I bought it new because it was already broken in properly/had the 3M done and was basically mint/no different looking than a brand new car from the show room floor. Your instinct is right your example isn't really relevant otherwise it could be used against used Porsche's as well. It just depends on how used. You can't compare buying a 25 year old "used Testarossa" w/ a 1 or 2 yr old used 430. I can tell you first hand if someone bought MY 430 right now it would be no different than buying new in terms of headache vs. no headache, I haven't had a single problem w/ the car.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Ferraris have an image problem; they are considered flashy and pretentious by many, and their owners are often (wrongly?) presumed to be compensating for sexually inadequacy.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

I honestly never undertood the whole concept above. I seriously don't get it..... When/how expensive a car is 'compensating'? Does that mean the guy in the Toyota thinks the guy in the Camaro is not well endowed? And then that means the guy in the Corvette & especially the Ferrrai is "compensating sexually" EVEN MORE? Do the same people that believe the above then also think the guy driving 200k mile pos rust bucket has the biggest...ahhhh private part? LoL! Honestly, I've never gotten the whole expensive car = small 'thing',,,, thing....

Frankly the idea that other men EVEN think about other guys slongs when they see their cars gives me the hee-bee-gee- bees. Really does I mean anyone thinking about another guys private parts when they see what kind of car the guy is driving has serious issues......I mean eeeewwwwwoooo! LoL!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

I honestly never undertood the whole concept above. I seriously don't get it..... When/how expensive a car is 'compensating'? Does that mean the guy in the Toyota thinks the guy in the Camaro is not well endowed? And then that means the guy in the Corvette & especially the Ferrrai is "compensating sexually" EVEN MORE? Do the same people that believe the above then also think the guy driving 200k mile pos rust bucket has the biggest...ahhhh private part? LoL! Honestly, I've never gotten the whole expensive car = small 'thing',,,, thing....

Frankly the idea that other men EVEN think about other guys slongs when they see their cars gives me the hee-bee-gee- bees. Really does I mean anyone thinking about another guys private parts when they see what kind of car the guy is driving has serious issues......I mean eeeewwwwwoooo! LoL!

ummm, actually, AUM never mentioned endowment, he just said "sexually inadequacy". Stop thinking about mens schlongs Stradale

Quote:
    palenimbus said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

ummm, actually, AUM never mentioned endowment, he just said "sexually inadequacy". Stop thinking about mens schlongs Stradale

For the record: Personally I like Ferrari styling; it is art on wheels. Particularly the Strad.

But I for everyday use I prefer the understated 911. However, the GT2 rear has problems and is not really growing on me.

of course, Ferrari's have that image problem

expensive ultra flashy attention grabber usually piloted by an older men due to the vehicle cost. Assumption is older guy trying to project a youthful vital issue - every woman I have discussed the F car with assumes that the car's parts works great , but the guy's parts don't!!

You didn't know this?

Quote:
    palenimbus said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

You got me! LoL!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805723 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449111 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266749 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90296 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6956 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886696 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835411 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM