Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I miss my Cayenne GTS so much...

As you may know, I exchanged the Cayenne GTS for a Boxster S because we already have a family SUV, a BMW X3 35d and it just didn't make sense to keep both, the Cayenne and the X3. My wife cannot exit her lease contract that easily, so I took the plunge. Now I miss the Cayenne so much, let me explain.

We drove to our ski vacation resort in the BMW X3 35d. For those who don't know this car: It is actually the most powerful and sportiest version of the X3 range. It has 313 hp and straight line performance is actually better than the one of the Cayenne GTS. From 0-100 kph, the X3 needs only 5.3 seconds, from 0-200 kph around 26 seconds. This is not a slow Diesel SUV, it is actually quite fast. So the engine is quite enjoyable, even if it lacks any sporty engine sound (Diesel) BUT everything else, interior, drive feel, sucks big time.

When driving the X3, I have the feeling of driving disconnected. The steering feel is firm but completely disconnected. I can't feel the street and in fast curves, I actually get afraid (I'm used to the Cayenne, 911 Turbo S, Boxster S9. The chassis just sucks, even if you can be quite fast with it. The interior look and feel is just cheap. Not even close to the Cayenne feeling. I just can't help it. My wife told me that I was bickering all the time about how bad the X3 is during our drive to the ski resort. I wasn't even aware of it.

Now I get the difference between an ordinary SUV and a Porsche SUV. It is huge. Not only the interior look and feel but especially the drive feel is completely different. This is like day and night.

Luckily, I don't have to drive the X3 too often and only twice a year to a short ski vacation. However, if I had the chance, I would exchange it immediately for a Cayenne or a Macan. 

Btw: The X5 M felt completely different. Maybe it is time for a X3 M.

Only good thing with the X3 35d: No matter how fast or slow I drove (up to 210 kph on the Autobahn, car fully loaded, Sport mode), the Diesel consumption was always around 10.2 liters / 100 km. To be honest, I would rather pay more for fuel than getting bored. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Re: I miss my Cayenne GTS so much...

Macan Turbo for you, Christian. This I am sure will be a blast. When the X3 contract is up go get it..

--

throt

"I couldn't do it"

This is a prelude to "Just got a Macan Turbo" 

No offense Christian but sometimes I think the heat of the moment gets the best of you when changing cars. You always say "I'm set for the next 3 years, this is the perfect car combo for my needs and my family" then a few months go by and you change your mind and have to get something newer and faster. 

Rc,

To be honest, I really don't understand why you sell/buy your cars with, what seems, no prior reflexion. It is clear to me, after all these years, that you need (i) the fastest 911 available out there, (ii) the fastest and sportiest  SUV on sale and (iii) a convertible for your wife.

In other words, what you need to own is a 991 turbo S, a Cayenne GTS/turbo S (the Mecan is too small) and a 991 convertible or a Boxster S. Nothing more, nothing less.

Instead of doing what needs to be done Smiley,  you keep selling the cars you need to get some car you don't actually  like.

You should have traded in the BMW X3 for the Boxster S, and not the Cayenne GTS. I know, such a deal would have cost you a lot more, but... in the end, if you had not bought the Panamera turbo S, the X5M and probably some other useless car like the mercedes C63 (for you at least), you would own that perfect garage by now.

I know,  you have to make some mistakes along the way to figure out what you really want, but still...

Amazon....you have just struck a cord with me.  I have a Cayenne Turbo - my wife has a new Boxster S - we have an Avant with a body kit on it for he kids....and I was hmming and hawing on trading my Cayenne and buy a Turbo S....just might do it after all....and keep my Cayenne Turbo which I love.  :)  Only thing left to decide  what to do with my 993 Turbo...which I never drive. It is so much money though these 991ttS s!

RC has "The Itch"...... Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

...and this is keeping us entertained....Smiley

d997h:

...and this is keeping us entertained....Smiley

+1 Smiley

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

hey RC, when we want out of a lease that is too hard to break we can always drive it to Montreal, have lunch or somehting and someone will relieve you of the bad leaseindecision

there must be somewhere in your neck of the woods with similar attribues; though having said that i believe montreal is # 1 or #2 for disappearing cars.

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

i have gone to sell my GTS half a dozen times and always bail when it gets close to the line. or as i have noted before, i never think of selling my GTS when i am in driving it.

right now i have been toying with leasing a 2011 turbo for the 4 months of winter to take the wear and tear of mine given that it will be impossible to replace a manual Porsche SUV. have to talk to my dealor and see what kind of deal they could do.

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

What you are looking for is a proper DD for you angry  you will never last in the Boxster indecision

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

What you are looking for is a proper DD for you angry  you will never last in the Boxster indecision

I am thinking... a Panamera Turbo S! Smiley The perfect DD for a sporty family father.

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells

bluelines:
    Gnil:

I am thinking... a Panamera Turbo S! Smiley The perfect DD for a sporty family father.

--

Previous

you missed that episode during the year you were gone from Rennteam Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Damn it. Must have been an exciting episode 1388785269624popcorn.gif

--

Previous

Whatever you do, do not, repeat, do not get a Macan Turbo. smiley

Don't even think about one. Its just too damn small for 4 people.  Somehow indecision reshuffle your deck of cars and just get a Cayenne Turbo S.  Even if someone gave you a Macan Turbo you would be kicking it for being too slow compared to a Cayenne Turbo S.  And even worse for you, just looking the Macan's Tach and not seeing "Turbo S" script would drive you crazy.indecision

We know you really want a Ford Raptor with twin superchargers, gun racks and some Mud Digger tires. But unless you move to another country that wont happen.   Actually for the price of a spec'd out Macan Turbo in the US you could get both a Raptor and the new 2015 Mustang Shelby that will be leagues ahead of previous Mustangs in looks, finish,handling and performance.

Maybe you need to block the Porsche build site on your computer. smiley

bluelines:
    Gnil:

Damn it. Must have been an exciting episode 1388785269624popcorn.gif

Started off  slow but picked up near the end. 

Thanks for sharing your views (and some making fun of me ). 

No, my decision with the Boxster S has been thought through pretty well, my wife always wanted a cab and this finally puts a lid to her craving since the Boxster is and always was her favorite "topless" car. As to my daily driver, I shouldn't really complaint driving a Boxster S.  I would love to drive in my Turbo S to work but as everybody knows by now, I can't do that.

The Macan Turbo was an option until I saw the current lease offers. Just shocking, way too expensive, almost outrageous (compared to the deals I got on my previous cars). No way I would get a Macan Turbo now, so this ain't going to happen. However I have to admit that as soon as my wife's X3 lease runs out in about 18 months, the Macan will be taken into a very close consideration.

So why did I post that I am missing the Cayenne GTS? Simple reason: Just now I realized how good actually the Cayenne is. I didn't get to drive the smaller and lighter X3 very often and this was the first longer trip in it. The drive feel, the overall feel just being in that car, the steering, the chassis, even the smell, everything is much less exciting and sporty than in the actually slower, heavier and bigger Cayenne GTS. Porsche did a great job here to provide that typical Porsche drive and feel in the Cayenne, this is something I just realized now.

So if people don't understand why someone would get a Cayenne or a Macan over an Audi or VW SUV, or even a BMW, this is it. That special drive feel, the whole atmosphere, everything just looks, smells and drives as a typical Porsche and makes a huge difference. I now even get the Cayenne Diesel or V6 buying thing: Their engines may not be powerful but the same drive feel is there, maybe not as strong as in a Cayenne GTS but it is.

Bottom line is: Porsche ruined my SUV driving experience for life. I won't be happy with any other SUV anymore. Dammit. 

No, no new Porsche on the horizon for me but maybe a Macan for my wife in 18 months. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

JimFlat6:

Whatever you do, do not, repeat, do not get a Macan Turbo. smiley

Don't even think about one. Its just too damn small for 4 people.  Somehow indecision reshuffle your deck of cars and just get a Cayenne Turbo S.  Even if someone gave you a Macan Turbo you would be kicking it for being too slow compared to a Cayenne Turbo S.  And even worse for you, just looking the Macan's Tach and not seeing "Turbo S" script would drive you crazy.indecision

We know you really want a Ford Raptor with twin superchargers, gun racks and some Mud Digger tires. But unless you move to another country that wont happen.   Actually for the price of a spec'd out Macan Turbo in the US you could get both a Raptor and the new 2015 Mustang Shelby that will be leagues ahead of previous Mustangs in looks, finish,handling and performance.

Maybe you need to block the Porsche build site on your computer. smiley

Smiley Smiley

Don't worry, I am perfectly happy with my 991 Turbo S and also glad I made the right choice this time, not listening to my wife (Panamera Turbo S).  Smiley  I have the perfect car for me and everything else, well...my wife has her cab now too. The family car (X3) stinks but there is nothing I can do about it. My wife has her own business and the car is on her business, so it is actually her car and she is the only one who can decide what is going to come next. In the past, I always got the family car but my wife never really enjoyed driving it (too big, whatever), so she got her own family car. Didn't make much sense. I would love to have a Cayenne Turbo S in my garage (or even the Cayenne GTS I had) but two SUV again? Not going to happen. Thanks god our family trips in my wife's SUV(s) are limited to two per year, so it doesn't really bother me much. The only problem would have been our 2x per year family trips to lake Garda (Italy) but my wife wants to drive in the Boxster, so I am going to enjoy my Turbo S. The Turbo S can load quite some luggage if there aren't any rear passengers, so everything is just perfect. Smiley

In a worst case scenario, if the X3 really annoys me further, I can rent a Porsche Cayenne from my dealer for a week. I don't think however that this is going to happen, I can use that money for something better. Smiley

--

RC:

No, my decision with the Boxster S has been thought through pretty well

Come on, we all know you got the Boxster for yourself Smiley

--

Previous

bluelines:
    RC:

Smiley It may look this way but I'm afraid this is not true. My wife always wanted a cab and the Boxster is her favorite "topless" car, always has been. So before she gets herself a cab at some point and I end up with the family car, again, this was kind of a pre-emptive strike. Smiley Now actually the ball is in her corner because she has to replace the X3, our family car now, with a Porsche Macan (I got her the Boxster under the condition what she seriously considers the Macan when replacing her X3). Family stuff...you don't have to "get" it. Smiley Smiley

--

I saw in the showroom yesterday a white Cayman with red interior and i had a chance to observe it at length and examine its finish. This car looks very attractive and special. I wonder why Cayman is not favoured given its price and real world performance 

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I saw in the showroom yesterday a white Cayman with red interior and i had a chance to observe it at length and examine its finish. This car looks very attractive and special. I wonder why Cayman is not favoured given its price and real world performance 

You can't drop the roof Smiley The Boxster offers all the Cayman does, but is a cabriolet in addition. The minimal power difference, etc. does not add much in the real world, mostly only in magazine tests or if your squeeze the last 3% out on a track.

As for the 911, I think the Cayman is a great alternative. Unless you A.) need the 911 badge or B.) need the rear seats.

Of course, Horst von Sauron did not like the Cayman. Maybe that is why it is not popular Smiley

--

Previous

RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:

Smiley It may look this way but I'm afraid this is not true. 

Just get a 2nd one for yourself Smiley One kid in each car, one luggage compartment per person, perfect for holiday travel.

--

Previous

bluelines:
    reginos:

You can't drop the roof Smiley The Boxster offers all the Cayman does, but is a cabriolet in addition. The minimal power difference, etc. does not add much in the real world, mostly only in magazine tests or if your squeeze the last 3% out on a track.

As for the 911, I think the Cayman is a great alternative. Unless you A.) need the 911 badge or B.) need the rear seats.

Of course, Horst von Sauron did not like the Cayman. Maybe that is why it is not popular Smiley

I like the Boxster, as I owned one in the past, but IMO the 981 Cayman looks more special and more of a performance car. Unless someone is an open top addict. I wonder how often cabrio owners in many countries can open their cars!

You are correct the Cayman may be a victim of the Press but mostly of Porsche marketing.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    I wonder how often cabrio owners in many countries can open their cars!

Last time on December 25th heading up the alps in 15 degrees C and sun Smiley Thanks to this  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind

I think the 981 Boxster looks more special than the 981 Cayman. To me the new Boxster looks like a mini Carrera GT. The new Cayman looks like, ehm, a new Cayman. Then again, taste is different and I am biased Smiley

--

Previous

bluelines:
    reginos:

When the roof is closed, the car just finishes behind you. I don't like that feeling and rear open luggage space of Cayman makes a huge difference and makes the car more spacious. That's the biggest reason why we choose cayman over boxster.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

bluelines:
    reginos:
    I wonder how often cabrio owners in many countries can open their cars!

Last time on December 25th heading up the alps in 15 degrees C and sun Smiley Thanks to this  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind

Foehn wind! I've learned somethig today Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I had 10°C in Garmisch Partenkirchen yesterday, over 15°C in the sun, it was an amazing day. The streets weren't completely dry though (so and so...) and in Lermoos (Austria)...only 25 km or so from Garmisch, we had 0.5°C. Ouch. On my way back home, I drove a different route and in one small forest, outside temperature was 8°C, at exactly 100 kph in a curve, my car started (smoothly) sliding towards the opposite lane. Either there was oil on the pavement or the mix of wet street (only very little) and the salt applied in the past for melting ice and snow, created a slippery surprise. I managed to get through this curve without even touching the opposite lane but a stupid bicycle rider was sitting next to the street right after the curve with his bicycle and a flashing red light, that I almost switched to the opposite side because I was so concentrated on the slippery road, that I had to adapt to the second "situation" fast. People were usually driving way too fast for the road conditions and some accidents happened according to the radio.

Btw: In a Boxster, I would have ended up in the woods, I am pretty sure about it. No kidding. On the other hand, I would have never driven that fast in a Boxster in that part of the road.

Speaking of slippery roads: Close to home, I was sitting at a stop light. At some point, an old BMW 3 series entered the intersection, made a turn to the left (so I could see his rear) and started suddenly drifting. I thought he is doing that by purpose because in the beginning, it looked quite good but then, he apparently suddenly let go of throttle and applied the brake and guess what, he crashed into the left concrete side wall of the road. Absolutely unreal, this was the most stupid accident I have seen for a very long time. My guess: He accelerated too much, lost control and then hit the wall. Saw a similar scene in a YouTube video with a Lamborghini (Gallardo?) but that guy hit a car on the opposite lane instead. Stupid people.

As to the question if Boxster or Cayman, I would always go for the Boxster. The Cayman really doesn't have any major advantage (if any) over the Boxster but the Boxster top can be opened and in spring/summer time, this is an excellent fun car, especially with the sport exhaust turned on.

In the end, I think Porsche needs to give the Cayman a different design to be successful with it. Not sure how well Cayman sales go but in my opinion, the Boxster is just the better offer.

--

Was the PSM activated? I presume you were in Sport (not Sport Plus) mode.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Was the PSM activated? I presume you were in Sport (not Sport Plus) mode.

Yes, PSM was active (Sport mode), I never drive with PSM turned off on public roads. However, the PSM didn't engage, it was too early. I just felt how the tires started loosing grip, the Pirelli Sottozero Winter for the Turbo S is an amazing winter tire with a lot of feedback and a super smooth sliding "announcement". The AWD/PTM setup also plays a vital role in this. These are the weather conditions where a Turbo S is clearly in advantage over the Boxster for example or a GT3.

I remember meeting with my wife at home (she was skiing with some friends and we met in Lermoos/Austria) and telling her how much I love my car. Smiley She left before me, we drove the same way back home but I arrived first and I would be damned if I remember that I overtook her. She doesn't remember either, weird. Maybe I passed through the time/space continuum without realizing it. Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    814984 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453541 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273800 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92328 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9907 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

892967 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    853971 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM