Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche May Price 918 Spyder at $630,000

Porsche May Price 918 Spyder at $630,000

Porsche 918 Spyder hybrid automobile

A Porsche 918 Spyder hybrid automobile is seen on display on the second press day of the Geneva International Motor Show in Geneva, Switzerland, on March 3, 2010. Photographer: Adrian Moser/Bloomberg

July 9 (Bloomberg) -- Bloomberg's Jason Harper and Carol Massar race in a convertible Porsche against Matt Miller on a Vespa. Piaggio & C. SpA's scooter beat Porsche AG's luxury car in the race through city traffic. (Source: Bloomberg)

Porsche 918 Spyder hybrid automobile

A wheel and exhaust pipes are seen on a Porsche 918 Spyder hybrid automobile on display on the second press day of the Geneva International Motor Show in Geneva, Switzerland, on March 3, 2010. Photographer: Adrian Moser/Bloomberg

A Porsche 918 Spyder hybrid automobile

A Porsche 918 Spyder hybrid automobile is seen on display on the second press day of the Geneva International Motor Show in Geneva, Switzerland, on March 3, 2010. Photographer: Adrian Moser/Bloomberg

Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid automobile

Exhaust pipes are seen on a Porsche 918 Spyder hybrid automobile on display on the second press day of the Geneva International Motor Show in Geneva, Switzerland, on March 3, 2010. Photographer: Adrian Moser/Bloomberg

Porsche AG may price the 918 Spyder, which soars to 100 kilometers an hour in 3.2 seconds, at 500,000 euros ($630,000), topping the Carrera GT as its costliest model, according to two people with direct knowledge of the plan.

At least 2,000 individuals have put in non-binding expressions of interest for the supercar, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the information is confidential. The 918 Spyder is one of three hybrid models Porsche presented at the Geneva auto show in March.

Demand for luxury cars is returning as Wall Street firms add jobs for the first time in two years and offer guaranteed payouts to attract top bankers. While Porsche hasn’t decided whether and when it will begin production of the model, at that price the 918 Spyder would top the 453,000-euro Carrera GT. Fewer than 1,500 of that model were built between 2003 and 2006.

“The Spyder will become Porsche’s new supercar showpiece project,” said Stefan Bratzel, director of the Center of Automotive at the University of Applied Sciences in Bergisch- Gladbach, Germany. “It unites Porsche’s high-performance engineering with intelligent drive technology.”

Porsche, which is merging with Volkswagen AG, needs at least 1,000 sales pledges to approve limited production of the car, development chief Wolfgang Duerheimer said in an April 24 interview. If only half of those who signed up eventually bought the car, Porsche stands to reap 500 million euros in revenue.

500-Horsepower

A Porsche spokesman declined to comment on the potential price tag and said a decision on production of the model will be made later this year.

The two-seater car accelerates to a top speed of 320 kilometers (199 miles) per hour, relying on a 500-horsepower V8 engine and electric drive-systems allowing the vehicle to run up to 25 kilometers on electric power.

The 918 Spyder emits no more than 70 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometer on fuel consumption of three liters per 100 kilometers, according to Porsche’s website.

Frank Biller, an analyst at Landesbank Baden-Wuerttemberg in Stuttgart, where Porsche is based, said the 918 Spyder may enhance the carmaker’s environmental credentials and potentially help attract customers to the brand which he says builds “Europe’s worst gas guzzlers.”

Lamborghini SpA, another luxury brand owned by Volkswagen, introduced its Reventon Roadster supercar at the Frankfurt motor show last September. At 1.1 million euros, the Reventon is the priciest model Lamborghini has ever made.

Ferrari 599 GTO

Fiat SpA’s Ferrari unit charges 320,000 euros for the 599 GTO, which the Italian carmaker calls its “fastest road-going model in our history.”

Boosting demand for super-luxury cars, average Wall Street bonuses jumped 17 percent to $123,000 last year, New York State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli said Feb. 23. Morgan Stanley and Citigroup Inc. are among banks that are hiring to replenish their ranks, while Nomura Holdings Inc. and Jefferies Group Inc. have been recruiting talent from larger firms in a bid to increase their standing on Wall Street.

In the first six months, Bayerische Motoren Werke AG’s Rolls-Royce almost doubled deliveries. Daimler AG’s Mercedes- Benz unit increased sales by 22 percent in the U.S. alone.

Porsche is promoting the 918 Spyder at a time when Wolfsburg, Germany-based VW is seeking to revive the sports-car manufacturer’s vehicle lineup. Volkswagen last week named its head of strategy, Matthias Mueller, as chief executive officer of Porsche from Oct. 1, replacing Michael Macht, who will head production at the parent company.

Boxster, Cayenne

Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn said last week Porsche will probably add a new line of smaller Boxster roadsters to its four-model lineup as the manufacturer aims to double sales in the medium term to 150,000 cars and sport-utility vehicles.

A further addition may be a compact SUV, smaller than Porsche’s best-selling Cayenne model, with production based on the Q5 model of VW’s Audi division, the people said.

Porsche’s deliveries in North America, which includes Canada and Mexico, fell 18 percent to 15,592 units in the nine months through April. Sales in the U.S., Porsche’s biggest single market, slumped 40 percent last fiscal year to 19,024 cars and SUVs.

Porsche’s preferred shares fell 5.5 cents, or 0.2 percent, to 36.67 euros at 9:47 a.m. in Frankfurt. Volkswagen added 83 cents, or 1.2 percent, to 72.95 euros.

Uwe Hueck, Porsche’s works council chief, said July 6 that building the 918 Spyder at the main Zuffenhausen plant would help create jobs at the factory where about 5,500 workers are employed. Hueck is aiming to conclude talks with management over investment and employment terms at Zuffenhausen by July 22.

To contact the reporter on this story: Andreas Cremer in Berlin at acremer@bloomberg.net.

Re: Porsche May Price 918 Spyder at $630,000

If the 918 Spyder would do 0-100 kph in 2.5 seconds, 0-200 kph in 8 seconds and 0-300 kph in 22 seconds, this price tag would be definitely worth it. Otherwise...well... 

Performance-wise, under 200000 EUR sports cars have already passed the "under 0-200 kph under 10 seconds" barrier, the new 997 Turbo S does 0-100 kph even under 3 seconds.

I don't know...paying such a premium for design and hybrid technology ? Not sure...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

People with "money no object" status  will buy it.

If you get in the cost-benefit logic no car costing so much is worth it.

--

"Form follows function"

They are smoking something.

The 918 has the design done right inside and out, except the wheels. But the hybrid concept is too gimmicky - all electric for transportation, all oil for fun. They are giving people a 360 CS engine and want 200K more than a 599 GTO?

NOPE, this car should have a N/A engine with 675 hp, which probably means starting with the CGT V10 and re-working it a little.

The engine is from the RS Spyder.

918 Spyder is an engineering masterpiece and as such it has to be expensive in order to become part of the automotive history.

Having in mind the above, it’s ridiculous to calculate the “machinery” part in the price and the premium for the company, IMO… We have to be really proud, that Porsche decided to make such a car in the financial climate at the moment. (I’m sure Porsche will produce this car)…  

reginos:

People with "money no object" status will buy it.

So far the price seems to be a rather theoretical figure. Apart from that, there comes so much more with the car than just the mere performance.

Did you guys really think this car will have that hybrid stuff  I don´t think so,with Mclaren,Ferrari.Lamborghini or even Pagani hallo cars in the cards it will have to run for its money.That Hybrid tech its to heavy and spoils the fun,it was made for political reasons.

Its my opinion and i really hope Mr Matthias Muller agrees with me.

PS: I would love to see an NA high performance 8 cylinder flat engine....i can dream.An RS Spyder V8 Bi-turbo based engine is more likely with more then 700hp and PDK.Fuel efficient and biblical fast. Well V8,V10 V12 V16 BIturbo,quadriturbo for sure Porsche will not let down their fans and sports car enthusiasts in general.

Spyderidol:

I know that, I read all the introductory stuff.

I was trying to relate it's closest equal in the road car market. The Stradale has a 3.6L at 8500rpm and 425hp while the 918 will be 3.4L at 9200rpm with 500hp. Both small displacement high strung V8's with low torque.  That's where the electric comes in I guess.  Not my style.

I tend to agree with Leblanc, like I said before, I am suspicious of this 2 ways of powering 1 wheel simultaneously.

reginos:

If I would be one of these people, I would rather get a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport.

I would however, probably, get this car for a car collection...if I would be the Sultan of Brunei or somebody as car crazy as him. 

Don't get me wrong: I know that this car will find buyers but from a personal point of view as an enthusiast and somebody who loves driving cars, this car doesn't make much sense to me...at this price tag.

Well..since I don't have this money anyway, I guess I couldn't care less. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Leblanc:

An RS Spyder V8 Bi-turbo based engine is more likely with more then 700hp and PDK.Fuel efficient and biblical fast.

According to Hartmut Kristen, it is not possible to turbo-charge the RS Spyder engine. It would have to be a new engine design.

"Technically, it’s not possible if it’s a one-to-one additional turbo charger to this engine.  That wouldn’t be strong enough.  A lot from what we have learned with this engine could be used to design a V8 Turbo engine." - Hartmut Kristen

reginos:

I agree.  If one will spend 300k to 400k then 600k wouldn't be an issue.

--
    Happy Driving

Since the price is 500k Euros, this means that it would be around the same $440k USD as the Carrera GT.  If you look at Porsche cars in Europe, they sell for more Euros than the same model sells for in the US in Dollars (despite a currency conversion that gives $630k - this mistake is always made in the press by those who don't pay close attention to US pricing).  Not that $440k is cheap...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

For me the price looks kind of expected. Sad part is just, that technology and design out of those super Porsches are not going to the trademark model 911!

I don't care how fast your car goes 0-100 or 0-200 or 8-113, you disappear the second you pull up next to the 918 in anything short of an Enzo, Veyron, or Zonda.

Assuming they manage to include a targa top like the CGT, this is the car I'd buy for $500K. Nothing even looks close to this for that price range.

racerx:
    Spyderidol:

I know that, I read all the introductory stuff.

I was trying to relate it's closest equal in the road car market. The Stradale has a 3.6L at 8500rpm and 425hp while the 918 will be 3.4L at 9200rpm with 500hp. Both small displacement high strung V8's with low torque.  That's where the electric comes in I guess.  Not my style.

I tend to agree with Leblanc, like I said before, I am suspicious of this 2 ways of powering 1 wheel simultaneously.

For me, the idea of this marvelous concept is to be politically fine for the “green people” and on the other hand to have excellent performance unmatched by other RWD hyper cars. I expect even better performance in 0-100 or 0-200km/h than the Turbo S with its clever AWD and technology…

Boyko23:

For me, the idea of this marvelous concept is to be politically fine for the “green people” and on the other hand to have excellent performance unmatched by other RWD hyper cars. I expect even better performance in 0-100 or 0-200km/h than the Turbo S with its clever AWD and technology…

Yes I believe that this was conceived as some sort of "make the greens" happy idea but that is fine for drawing board concepts but not for the street. We as a society have to get a little more mature and instead of applying the same standards across different categories get a little more practical.

It's now time to require a date by which all transportation-category vehicles will be full electric and leave pure sports niche vehicles alone. Pure Sports cars make up roughly 2% of total vehicle sales. A drop in the bucket. All normal daily transportation vehicles should have 10 years to switch entirely to pure electric drivetrains. No excuse for not doing this. Better for everyone.

I also can not grasp how 2 different sources can power the same wheel at the same time. How do you add power to an already spinning axle which will be additive?

Leblanc:

Did you guys really think this car will have that hybrid stuff  I don´t think so,with Mclaren,Ferrari.Lamborghini or even Pagani hallo cars in the cards it will have to run for its money.That Hybrid tech its to heavy and spoils the fun,it was made for political reasons.

Its my opinion and i really hope Mr Matthias Muller agrees with me.

PS: I would love to see an NA high performance 8 cylinder flat engine....i can dream.An RS Spyder V8 Bi-turbo based engine is more likely with more then 700hp and PDK.Fuel efficient and biblical fast. Well V8,V10 V12 V16 BIturbo,quadriturbo for sure Porsche will not let down their fans and sports car enthusiasts in general.

You are absolutely right, that hybrid shit is way too heavy ! And expensive. And completely unnecesary, because a supercar is not about mpg, or co2. Not to mention it adds 4 wheel drive which always means less fun, and also it corrupts the steering feel. So without the hybrid BS the car should weight about 200 kg (or 440 lb) less, which is A LOT, and thus behave more like a lotus instead of a nissan GTR, in terms of handling characteristics and overall feel. 

Anyway, what's wrong with the RS spyder engine ? Smiley 3.4 liter and 500+ bhp, now that's insane engineering my friend. It will be the most powerfull NA engine fitted on a road car ever ! Per liter of course. 147 bhp per liter to be precise, now eat that 458 italia !

Oh, and just so you know, adding more bhp (especially by means of forced induction) doesn't necesarilly mean more fun, just look at the 911 turbo...fast as hell ? Sure. Fun ? Not really. At least, not compared to a Gt3, or even a base carrera for that matter.

Oh snap, harsh TT hate. Though i sort of agree, i think they're fun in a slightly different way so it really comes down to personal preferences. What im much more concerned about is the steering feel, if this thing is AWD it will be mighty different but i still think porsche can pull it off... after all they did it with the 959 back in the 80s. I just don't see any real use for this whole hybrid tech investment. It's the dumbest thing ever.. It's a high performance supercar, and they care about CO2... so they add some electrical shit to gain 5-10% by using electricity... well where does that come from??? That's right coal burning power plants, which btw produce most of our CO2 anyways.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Racerx:

I also can not grasp how 2 different sources can power the same wheel at the same time. How do you add power to an already spinning axle which will be additive?

I'm sure there are many ways to do this.  The 911 R Hybrid already interfaces a combustion engine with regenerative electrical power.

I would think that a Variable Frequency Drive integrated with the wheel design would be able to monitor wheel frequency (speed) and add power separate from a mechanical drive shaft.  Then the fuel engine could be unloaded and shut down and de-coupled throught a clutch...?

This is pretty complex, but I think Porsche (with the help of specialized engineering companies) can pull it off.  And I think that system alone makes this vehicle special, and desirable to some...

Oops.  I need to retract the comment about the 911 R Hybrid - sorry.

I revisited some info on it recently, and had forgotten that the KERS works independently from the combustion system (not the same wheels), so that has nothing to do with the question.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

686721 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 10/9/22 4:08 PM
    watt
    320240 1186
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 12/3/22 10:23 PM
    watt
    217512 1262
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 12/4/22 12:10 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    203075 439
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/6/22 12:37 AM
    WhoopsyM
    186235 580
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 11/22/22 8:19 PM
    GaussM
    129570 9
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 11/30/22 2:30 PM
    GnilM
    57585 68
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    521405 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    476962 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 11/27/22 2:46 AM
    WhoopsyM
    473039 3785
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/30/22 6:31 PM
    Grant
    230406 774
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 12/4/22 9:11 PM
    WhoopsyM
    228946 1452
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    199989 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    196143 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 10/27/22 2:59 PM
    Leawood911
    190681 1863
    Porsche GT4RS 11/24/22 3:09 AM
    GnilM
    190364 1193
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    163530 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    160781 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    156921 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    143506 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 10/6/22 11:48 PM
    DJM48
    140366 501
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    138547 593
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    137705 443
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    136372 722
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 12/2/22 1:07 AM
    DJM48
    127338 1556
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    107359 640
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    106393 335
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 10/24/22 7:42 AM
    RCA
    104192 402
    Ferrari Wandered to the dark side 8/29/22 9:35 AM
    BiTurbo
    79173 418
    Ferrari Ferrari Roma 4/18/22 4:33 PM
    watt
    31556 438
    174 items found, displaying 1 to 30.