Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    997 Driving Report Teaser

    Please give me more time, guys. I just finished the german version and I'm sorting the pictures.

    Here's a little teaser for you guys.

    Re: 997 Driving Report Teaser

    RC could you post the german version on the german porsche board? Even outside Germany there are people who read German as easily as English.

    Re: 997 Driving Report Teaser

    Quote:
    WF said:
    RC could you post the german version on the german porsche board? Even outside Germany there are people who read German as easily as English.



    Of course, this is why I did it. It is also easier for me to translate than to form my ideas in English and put them to paper in English.
    The german driving report should be online tomorrow, the English version maybe a day or two later.

    How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Very scary !

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Why not?
    If he's in control, then it's ok.
    I guess the primary thing is make sure there's no one in front.
    And who knows, it's not him who took the pic?

    Re: 997 Driving Report Teaser

    One thing that I noticed from that picture is that the oil temp gauge has returned - yeah! Never noticed that before...

    Where is the oil pressure gauge now? Is it part of the digital display or just a warning light?

    Re: 997 Driving Report Teaser

    The oil pressure (or is it the oil level?) gauge is on the very right side, and if I remember correctly it was on the facelifted 996 already, wasn't it? Not sure about that!

    Re: 997 Driving Report Teaser

    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    The oil pressure (or is it the oil level?) gauge is on the very right side, and if I remember correctly it was on the facelifted 996 already, wasn't it? Not sure about that!



    Oh, that makes sense - I forgot there is one more gauge to the right of the photo's frame. That would be oil pressure. Level is in the LCD display (with the lighted bars)...

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Quote:
    John SF 2005 997 S said:
    Very scary !



    If this is scary, what about this one?

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Why not?
    If he's in control, then it's ok.
    I guess the primary thing is make sure there's no one in front.
    And who knows, it's not him who took the pic?



    Right, Francois. And there is nothing scary about it. A minute later I was slowing down to around 240 kph due to a 120* left curve. It is a curve where a lot of accidents happened over the past few years but one just has to drive a "clean" line and it is a piece of cake. I was just worried a little bit because of the tires but more about it in my driving report.

    And a last point regarding high speed driving: there is nothing special in doing that. I know it looks cool but to be honest: almost anybody could do it with a little bit high speed experience. The real challenge is to drive that speed or slightly lower speeds in curves and an even bigger challenge is do drive on the track through twists and turns, this is where the fun is. But I actually loved those rallye races on closed public streets because it is a different challenge than a clean track. Yeah...I'm getting old...dreaming of "old times".

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    John SF 2005 997 S said:
    Very scary !



    If this is scary, what about this one?



    Nice, I see you have the cruise control set even!

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Quote:
    danny911 said:
    Nice, I see you have the cruise control set even!



    Right but it works only up to a speed of 200 kph.

    The picture is from a friend's tuned Turbo, my tuned 996 Turbo once did 340 kph on the speedo but the only picture I have shows 337 kph as far as I remember. I think it is here on the forum too, you just have to check the older threads (maybe 2 years or so ago...).

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Wow excellent photo 341kph!!!!, amazing.
    Did you find any difficulties reaching 290 with the 997???!!. Was that your top speed or you think the 997 could go bit more??!!( just asking RC !!!)
    Again very impressive pics!!

    Re: 997 Driving Report Teaser

    Impressive picture .

    Does your camera have "Image Stablizer" or the car wasn't shaking much since the picture is not fuzzy and blury?

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Did you find any difficulties reaching 290 with the 997???!!. Was that your top speed or you think the 997 could go bit more??!!( just asking RC !!!)



    Yeh, sure it could go a bit more! RC was holding back because the car wasn't broken in yet!

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    RC, I am a bit surprised by you driving this poor 997 S with
    147 Kilos on it at close to red-line, with "Green" tires and brakes, and not even close to being broken in. Is that the
    oil temp @ 120 F. ? Is that normal Temp. ? I'm not saying
    I'm not envious, mind you. Tell us more, when you can.
    Revvv

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Quote:
    RC said:
    And a last point regarding high speed driving: there is nothing special in doing that. I know it looks cool but to be honest: almost anybody could do it with a little bit high speed experience. The real challenge is to drive that speed or slightly lower speeds in curves and an even bigger challenge is do drive on the track through twists and turns, this is where the fun is.



    Is this really true Christian? I personally don't think so.

    There are three factors as I see it.

    First of all, the handling of most cars will change at speed. Often they understeer at slower speeds and oversteer more at higher speeds (though bad aerodynamics can reverse this). The driver needs to be aware of this and ready to take it into account. The big issue comes in high speed manoeuvres such as emergency lane changes. This means more than ever it is important that you don't lift the throttle abruptly or apply the brakes without thinking. If you need to use the brakes then you have to be ready to modulate the brakes to control the back end. This is true even in my Turbo which generally understeers.

    Second, is the issue of judgment when it comes to cornering. Most of us are very comfortable with the entry speeds for slower corners. But it takes some experience to really know how fast you can go through a fast corner. From a racing perspective, most of us go too fast in slow corners and too slow in fast corners but still you need to be careful. Entering a high-speed corner at too high a speed can be disaster.

    Third is the need to look ahead and concentrate on what you are doing. The more speed you have the further ahead you need to be looking and the more tasks you need to be analysing in a given period of time. This is where taking that photo can be a distraction. But in the scheme of thing, it isn't that big of a deal. Just a matter of picking a moment when you aren't busy with other things like traffic.

    Christian, I think what you need to realise is that you've been doing this for a very long time. High speed driving is second nature to you. But what I worry about is the person without a lot of experience. Let's not make it sound like it is "nothing" for those who haven't really done it yet. Like everything in driving you do need to work at it and be careful.

    Stephen

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Quote:
    Revvv said:
    RC, I am a bit surprised by you driving this poor 997 S with
    147 Kilos on it at close to red-line, with "Green" tires and brakes, and not even close to being broken in. Is that the
    oil temp @ 120 F. ? Is that normal Temp. ? I'm not saying
    I'm not envious, mind you. Tell us more, when you can.
    Revvv



    That's 120C which is around 248F. FWIW, this would be considered too hot for the old air-cooled cars...

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    Christian, I think what you need to realise is that you've been doing this for a very long time. High speed driving is second nature to you. But what I worry about is the person without a lot of experience. Let's not make it sound like it is "nothing" for those who haven't really done it yet. Like everything in driving you do need to work at it and be careful.

    Stephen



    Sorry, Stephen...of course you're right, I just wanted people to realize that I'm not Mr. Porsche or Mr. Perfect Driver because I can drive at 290 kph.
    Yes, it takes a lot of high speed experience with many different cars to be able to drive this speed safely (yes, safely) but it doesn't need the talent of a Walter Röhrl to do that, this is what I actually wanted to say.
    I feel flattered by the many "RC..." posts but I also feel somehow bad about them. There are so many knowledgable people on this forum, some of them probably know much more about Porsche cars than I do. And some of them drive much better than I do, this is why I wanted to give these people a credit.
    High Speed Driving is nothing for unexperienced drivers, I'm sorry if I gave the impression that really ANYBODY could do it.
    I never intended to put other people in danger, sorry.

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Quote:
    Revvv said:
    RC, I am a bit surprised by you driving this poor 997 S with
    147 Kilos on it at close to red-line, with "Green" tires and brakes, and not even close to being broken in. Is that the
    oil temp @ 120 F. ? Is that normal Temp. ? I'm not saying
    I'm not envious, mind you. Tell us more, when you can.
    Revvv



    Well...

    The oil temperature is that high because I did 290 (and slightly more... ) for about 10 minutes. I drove the car real hard because I had to know what it is capable of.
    The only thing which worried me were the tires but more about it in the final report.

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    RC, Totally Awesome !!! Revvv

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    I think we're on the same page Christian.

    Getting arrested for driving 99 MPH has really made me think about this topic. I had one person, a police officer, tell me that he considered this speed to be just about the same thing as "attempted murder". Then on the other hand, you pointed out that 160 MPH on shitty roads is still nothing. Obviously my thinking is closer to your own than the police officer's.

    I just worry a little about those people, the vast majority of the Porsche community, who buy these cars as jewellery. Let's face it, the necessary credentials for owning a Porsche are oodles of cash. Skill doesn't come into it. I just worry that some of these people might feel social pressure to go fast and get in over their heads.

    But I do totally agree with you that it can be done with relative safety by a competent (not necessarily a Walter Röhrl like) driver. Are there risks? Sure. But they are manageable.

    Oh, and forget the false modesty. We all know you're a damned good driver. I've heard this from people who know.

    Stephen

    Re: How and WHY? did you take a picture at 174mph ???

    Quote:
    RC said:
    The oil temperature is that high because I did 290 (and slightly more... ) for about 10 minutes.




    10 min at 290 km/h would equate to almost 50 km (or 30 miles) of clear road. Where the hell did you find that, unless it was 5 AM on a Sunday?

    RC - Driving Report Teaser

    How are you doing on the English version of your 997 Driving Report? I am hanging on the edge of my chair waiting to see it.

    Re: RC - Driving Report Teaser

    Does anyone know if in the navigation system of the 997, you can play DVD's???.
    I've read that in two spanish car magazines: Automovil and Car and Driver Spain.
    Thanks in advice, it would be absolutely amazing if dvd's can be played with the navigation system!!!!!

    Re: RC - Driving Report Teaser

    Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Does anyone know if in the navigation system of the 997, you can play DVD's???.
    I've read that in two spanish car magazines: Automovil and Car and Driver Spain.
    Thanks in advice, it would be absolutely amazing if dvd's can be played with the navigation system!!!!!



    I wouldn't get my hopes up, spanish legislation (and european in general I think) dictates thats it completely ilegal to have any type of DVD video, games, ect on the dash screen, the only exception is GPS navigation, or rear screens for the rear seats.

    And for a good reason IMO, distractions are a mayor cause of accidents, more than speeding, and there are already enough toys and gadgets in cars nowadays that distract the drivers (not to mention those idiots that eat or talk on the non-hands free phone while driving), so DVD player in the field of vision of the driver would only add to that danger unnecesarily and I wouldn't want other cars on the road were my family may be driving to have them, there is no point, the driver can't be watching a movie and driving at the same time and if a passenger wants to see a DVD they can move to the rear seats were a DVD player can be very usefull especially if you have kids.

    Re: RC - Driving Report Teaser

    Carlos,
    I think it is legal in Europe to have systems that play DVDs or TV on the dash in the driver's field of vision, as long as they only work when the car is not moving. I've seen this in BMWs.

    Re: RC - Driving Report Teaser

    Thanks Carlos and Fantasma for your answer!!.
    I completely agree with Carlos, and by the same say I agree with Fantasma, I think incase of having the 997 dvd player it will only work if car its not moving.

    Re: RC - Driving Report Teaser

    Quote:
    DD694 said:
    How are you doing on the English version of your 997 Driving Report? I am hanging on the edge of my chair waiting to see it.



    I'm sorry, I'm still working on the german version. My kids need to be feeded, they need clothes, my wife needs some blink blink stones and daddy needs fuel money for his Cayenne Turbo. Or to make it short: I have to work and can't postpone important stuff to finish the report.
    Not to forget about a big party at our house this weekend.
    Another excuse: I want to write a pretty complete report incl. some technical details and I have tons of technical infos which have to be sorted out to "fit" my report.
    Not to forget about the many pictures.
    I don't want to promise anything (anymore) but with some luck I finish the german report tomorrow.

    Regarding the DVD Navigation: to my knowledge, the DVD system in the 997 and Cayenne is not capable of playing DVD movies or DVD music. Maybe a software upgrade later on could change that...

    Re: RC - Driving Report Teaser

    Quote:
    RC said:
    ...

    Not to forget about a big party at our house this weekend.

    ...(



    Hey, I missed the invitation in my letter box!

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    576608 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino
     
     
     
     
     
    356559 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    85847 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/4/21 8:01 AM
    bluelines
    43235 328
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35033 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    32659 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/14/21 2:39 PM
    watt
    14852 299
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4101 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    560805 5257
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/20/20 8:24 AM
    schmoell
    533298 4260
    Porsche Cayman GT4 4/13/21 10:04 AM
    996FourEss
    400749 3585
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/13/21 8:01 AM
    BjoernB
    355263 3915
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/27/20 4:06 PM
    Topspeed
    352163 3486
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/5/20 9:55 PM
    DaveGordon
    312332 3242
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    309529 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    215161 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    182227 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    160234 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    137937 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 4/14/21 9:14 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    108363 2034
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    105260 1225
    McLaren F1 2/25/21 11:33 AM
    RCA
    76984 207
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 3/15/21 7:26 PM
    Enmanuel
    69382 1151
    AMG AMG GT R 11/19/20 11:47 PM
    Topspeed
    64454 819
    Lambo Aventador and SV 3/15/21 3:59 PM
    Topspeed
    63314 679
    Porsche 991 Speedster 9/3/20 4:29 PM
    Topspeed
    56272 878
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    42884 596
    Others Bugatti Chiron 4/12/21 3:42 PM
    RCA
    36279 476
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    33512 615
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 3/21/21 5:01 PM
    Topspeed
    28530 385
    271 items found, displaying 1 to 30.