Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Brake calipers becoming caricatures?

Almost everyone's first question about my car is "What's with the yellow things in the wheels?" I give the explanation, beginning with "It's a Porsche thing." Do we think the painted calipers look has gone too far, particularly with the yellow PCCB calipers?

Re: Brake calipers becoming caricatures?

It's no longer just a "Porsche thing". Look at any WRX STi, Lancer Evo, VW R32, Ferrari, etc and they all have colored calipers of some type.

Karl

actually , i love them ,and they are huge , specially with the carrera classic wheels.
    try to answer :"its ceramic composite breaks ,formula one stuff".
    i admit it sounds like nick taking but...

Anyone who calls brake calipers "yellow things in the wheels"... well, lets just say its not worth explaining it to them or thinking twice about their question

Just tell them is a DOT thing, something about greater visibility at night, you know like the biciclist reflectants wear, and that it will be mandatory on ALL cars in the following years including their car and they are $8k a pop!

The colored calipers can make your car look so cool. I can imagine having a Midnight blue with yellow calipers and yellow seatbelts and black int. with yellow stitching. Or a white or silver one with red calipers and red belts and stitching. (I prefer the blue with beige or grey int. though, and a silver with teracota, but there are millions of possibilities I like)

You should just make up a stupid joke and see how stupid they are when it comes to cars. Have a laugh....

Quote:
    booger said:
    Almost everyone's first question about my car is "What's with the yellow things in the wheels?" I give the explanation, beginning with "It's a Porsche thing." Do we think the painted calipers look has gone too far, particularly with the yellow PCCB calipers?

Just ignore people, some don't have a clue about cars and some just want to provoke.

The whole colour thing actually became some kind of tradition:
    1. black calipers indicate the "base" braking system
    2. silver calipers indicate the "base" braking system for a C4 (4WD)
    3. red calipers usually indicate the "Turbo brake", a high performance braking system
    3. yellow calipers indicate Porsche's top of the line braking system, the PCCB

But I'm also sometimes very surprised how knowledgable some people are. A lot of strangers and non-Porsche owners approached me at the fuel station, at parking lots and two young guys in a car even at a stop light, asking if my car has a ceramic brake. They all seemed to be impressed, those two guys even showed thumbs up when they moved side by side to my car at the next stop light.
    So don't worry too much about what people say, some really say something only to say something.

Quote:

But I'm also sometimes very surprised how knowledgable some people are. A lot of strangers and non-Porsche owners approached me at the fuel station, at parking lots and two young guys in a car even at a stop light, asking if my car has a ceramic brake. They all seemed to be impressed, those two guys even showed thumbs up when they moved side by side to my car at the next stop light.

recently on a autobahn filling station some kids came along to my GT3 RS while i was paying -- when i got back to the car, one of them asked me if my car features ceramic brakes. i answered "no" -- they all seemed quite disappointed and immediately left...

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    actually , i love them ,and they are huge , specially with the carrera classic wheels.

You all have a little of Nick in you.

I am finalizing my 430 order and debating the color of my calipers. My exterior wll be California Azzurro with creme interior. With the Scuderia shields (yellow),yellow calipers may just work. Silver would be good too. Now which one will get the most attention.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

recently on a autobahn filling station some kids came along to my GT3 RS while i was paying -- when i got back to the car, one of them asked me if my car features ceramic brakes. i answered "no" -- they all seemed quite disappointed and immediately left...

Shame on you...no ceramic brakes.

I never was a friend of the PCCB and I would have never ordered it for my 997. "Lucky" me, the 20 mm chassis equipped car was available with PCCB only.
    The new generation is really completely different, the 996 Turbo Cab I drove for a few days had the old PCCB and the difference is huge, including brake feel and this car even had that "famous" squeaking below 10*C temperatures.

I'm just waiting to evaluate it's reliability and durability and of course the lifespan of the brake pads and brake discs. And there shouldn't be any misunderstanding: I brake pretty hard, especially from speeds above 260 kph. Let's hope the PCCB stands to it's specs, I don't want to have to replace the brake discs before my lease ends.

Yes I think PAG wento to far with yellow calipers. Actually I think they went to far with several other "design bugs" like yellow seat belts and painted center consols, painted wheels or even worst, chromed wheels among many other things more proper for a cheap tuning company, than a reputable car maker.

J.Seven

Bragging rights: period.

It was revealing and amusing that lots of 996 owners resented the fact that their car looked like the "lowly" Boxster.

I'm sure Porsche focuss-groups the crap outta every new car concept and so we get these "designations" which say: my car is better than your car. But they do this in ways that aren't _TOO_ obvious.

997S wheels are prpobably that way to be "unmistakable"

Too bad the uneducated public (focus group members) get so much influence.

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    Yes I think PAG wento to far with yellow calipers. Actually I think they went to far with several other "design bugs" like yellow seat belts and painted center consols, painted wheels or even worst, chromed wheels among many other things more proper for a cheap tuning company, than a reputable car maker.

J.Seven

Though no car co. can eliminate bad taste in choice of colors/options, I credit P w/offering various leather, stitching, etc options that allow one to upgrade car from the "cheap" look/feel of many standard P interiors. I'm fine w/P choosing cheap standard cosmetic features to maintain its legendary profit margins, as long as I can factory-spec option the car to overcome these issues.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

I am finalizing my 430 order and debating the color of my calipers. My exterior wll be California Azzurro with creme interior. With the Scuderia shields (yellow),yellow calipers may just work. Silver would be good too. Now which one will get the most attention.

No way! I don't give a damn for the color of my car's calipers. And besides... Porsche's caliper color is (as RC described) a color code for the type of brake in use; it is NOT, a vain, irrelevant, menu choice for the local poseurs to ponder - as you are apparently agonizing over re. the order of your next car.

P.S. - For a while I thought you were growing up as you were not posting on PAG forums. I guess that did not happen.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    booger said:

Just ignore people, some don't have a clue about cars and some just want to provoke.

The whole colour thing actually became some kind of tradition:
    1. black calipers indicate the "base" braking system
    2. silver calipers indicate the "base" braking system for a C4 (4WD)
    3. red calipers usually indicate the "Turbo brake", a high performance braking system
    3. yellow calipers indicate Porsche's top of the line braking system, the PCCB

So don't worry too much about what people say, some really say something only to say something.

Although isn't P now adopting the F system of painting calipers whatever color you wish? I thought someone recently posted CGT's "ability-to-pay"-based option prices...which included brake calipers in various colors....capitalism at its best

For what it's worth I like the look of them, and on my otherwise sedate 911 it seems ok to highlight a notable feat of engineering. I suppose the color code is a way of indicating to others (in the know) that the technology is important enough to you to spend the $8k. The improved performance arguably should be enough justification, but I'll admit to being shallow enough that I like the lack of brake dust and were they painted black I'd be less likely to go for them.

No one has said "Looks like a VW Beetle," and even to a basic poser like me, the car is awesome. I'll be a motorhead before long. I never thought I'd have a hard time listening to the morning news because I want to hear the engine sing.

If indeed the PCCBs do not produce dust brake, that is a welcome added bonus.

Do wheel cleaning agents, effect PCCBs?
    I suppose there less of a need to use chemicals due to the lack of dust, but all car valet (car washers) automatically spray wheels prior to washing..so there might be a problem if you have your cars cleaned....

Quote:
    P.S. - For a while I thought you were growing up as you were not posting on PAG forums. I guess that did not happen.

1. This is no PAG Forum, but a PAG Fan Forum
    2. Why such hostility?

Quote:
    booger said:

No one has said "Looks like a VW Beetle," and even to a basic poser like me, the car is awesome. I'll be a motorhead before long. I never thought I'd have a hard time listening to the morning news because I want to hear the engine sing.

Some people would disagree.

Quote:
    Gauss said:
    Quote:

1. This is no PAG Forum, but a PAG Fan Forum

Correct. But it's assumed that if you participate you are contributing something, and not just be on a crusade to bash P-cars.

Quote:
    2. Why such hostility?

Hostility? You should ask Nick...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

Hey, dhayek, I'd get that complaint seen to quickly. If caught in its early stages, the doctors might be able to do something about it.

If not, well, you know what exciteability and over-indulgence, and .... whatever, can lead to.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Go for the yellow, Nick!

The color tone is a pretty good match for the Yellow Arches your car will be standing under.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Go for the yellow, Nick!

The color tone is a pretty good match for the Yellow Arches your car will be standing under.

Yellow w/red leather and yellow stitching...and red calipers...the quintessential LaJolla/RSD look for cruising local burger stands.....after all, it's all about resale value in the SD mkt...gotta have a color combo that hides messy burger stains from those oh-so-shrewd used F buyers

Two words: status symbol? Probably until I see some performance characteristic data/metrics on the differences between the different systems.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    booger said:

Some people would disagree.

Yeah, most of them being ferrari fanboys with a deep inferiority complex, trying to hide their err..marque insecurities by resorting to derrogatory comments

What is the difference between Ferrari's Carbon brakes and Porsche's Ceramic Composite brakes?

Quote:
    med said:
    Do wheel cleaning agents, effect PCCBs?
    I suppose there less of a need to use chemicals due to the lack of dust, but all car valet (car washers) automatically spray wheels prior to washing..so there might be a problem if you have your cars cleaned....

There is no issue

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    Two words: status symbol? Probably until I see some performance characteristic data/metrics on the differences between the different systems.

Au contraire. You need to drive a car with these brakes and I guarantee you will be a convert. The difference in feel, let alone performance is enormous. The real issue is that Porsche has grossly overpriced them.

red calipres get the most attention. i know this because someone was claiming their turbo was a GT2, and the easiest thing to tell was the colour of the calipers, not to mention rear seats, turbo shifter, and a plethora of other hints. (what a fooker)

I bet there will be a small percentage of people who buy the PCCB system because of its yellow colour!

I have to say that Porsche chose very apropriate colours for the individual designations - all of them correspond to the exterior colours of the cars and as mentioned before raise attention in a lot of people!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

587699 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 6/8/22 4:41 PM
    Topspeed
    225455 1180
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 7/2/22 8:22 PM
    JoeRockhead
    116650 1058
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 7/2/22 7:50 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    111300 408
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    91999 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    32032 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    515214 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    430596 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    427432 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    391248 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    374866 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 6/28/22 3:43 PM
    Grant
    359702 3664
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    291947 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    139163 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/1/22 4:24 PM
    WhoopsyM
    138210 1411
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    112066 834
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM