Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: RIP Paul Walker aka Brian O'Connor

bridggar:

+1

+2 Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

RC quitting would be like a Formun set on Automatic (PDK) - boring!  RC is our 'manual' transmission.  His clutch is just worn out.  Perhaps being a strong willed and being a forum moderator is not a good mix.  I know I would not want to moderate!

Enjoy life and your family RC.  Whatever you decide - base it on what matters most.

Gnil:

When Rennteam changed soft wear a few years back, there was big planes to become a major ''social'' car community crossing into different languages . 

Today no one is really looking after the soft wear  ( Eunice dit it for a few years, but I understand that the owner now does not put much time and thoughts into this forum anymore ) . 

As on any forums, there will always be people '' attacking'' or dismissing or contradicting . RC having his strong personality , and often not wanting to let go , has probably slowly worn him out a bit . 

Porsche not bringing out very exciting ( except 918 ) products must also contribute to less passion .

RC, maybe taking one step back would be enough to '' recharge your energy ''  and interest in this forum  

You have fed very valuable informations over the years to RT , I am sure 95 % of the users appreciate . Don't let the 5% spoil it .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

The reality is the forum has had steadily declining participation for several years. Part of the problem has to do with the software. Also, I agree recent Porsche products have not inspired much discussion. Another factor is the forum has not attracted enough vibrant informed car enthusiast. As for Christian, he is strong willed, well informed and very opinionated. But he has never allowed criticism to discourage him from active participation. Something else is at work here. 

Many of us who have been part of this community for years have become intolerant of baseless claims and attacks for the sake of stimulating controversy. It gets old and often we don't have energy or the desire to answer/respond. As we get older and wiser the fight is not worth it. It will make no difference as to how we live and enjoy our lives. If anything fighting could make our lives less enjoyable. Best to move on.

I think the products have little to do with the forum activity. None to be direct. Other forums are very active and I did not notice any declining participation. Especially true for Planet-9 which has a very enthusiastic 98x owner base.

I feel the participation decline was triggered with the forum's software upgrade from version 1 to 2. Many special characters, regular contributors and participants disappeared after the upgrade and somehow the forum never recovered. This upgrade has been discussed to death in many threads so I won't elaborate more on this.

The key to this forum are it's members... not the products, not the software, not even the moderators (nothing ill meant). So hats off to all those members who actively contribute and participate! wink

RC, for sure you will tag along. I think in your heart you enjoy the sometimes heated discussions here too. You just have to see through all the bullsh*t and never ever take anything personal wink

--

Without new interesting products, there would be little to discuss.

Respectfully disagree. There is lots and lots more to discuss than actual, rumours or speculation on new products. But you might have hit the nail on the head. Here on Rennteam most of the discussions are about new products. Very rarely do members post about outings, track days, modifications, restorations, etc. On other forums these posts and discussions are in a majority while the endless speculation about unicorn products are less frequent. This should not be taken as criticism in any way, it is simply an observation from my side. Could this be a reason for the declining participation?

--

Interest in modifications, outings, and restorations is limited to a few posters. I do agree track video is of interest. But there are very few hardcore track enthusiast particularly on this site. Also, since this is an international community outings have little value because of the distances involved.

What most want to know is what is new, how does it perform, what options are available, RT reviews of the product and is there anything better. Also, what do world wide journalist think (for an example we in the US do not get foreign reviews and I suspect the same hold true for US reviews with the ROW). Finally,   a very important aspect of the forum is the discussion of predicted/rumored future new products.

RT is an international community and the exchange of opinions among distant participants is appreciated by all.Smiley

nberry:

Interest in modifications, outings, and restorations is limited to a few posters. 

For the remaining RT posters maybe Smiley In general not. Look at the modification sections in Planet-9 and you get what I mean.

Personally I have little interest in the speculation of new products and the endless comparisons of straight-line performance figures. I am more interested in real life experiences, chosen specs and owners'  views on these, aftermarket tweaks and mods, track events, outings with photo sharing, etc.

--

I still haven't seen another site with the same level of polite and respectful responses that can be found here.

Gladstone:

I still haven't seen another site with the same level of polite and respectful responses that can be found here.

Smiley

I have had great entertainment following the 918-P1-LaF thread at Fchat. Nothing I ever come across come close.

--

Whoopsy:
    Gladstone:

Smiley

Understandably RC feels worn out at times because this is an online forum and there are always going to be head buts and contradictions. Any of us can say they had a clash with someone over time. But that's no reason to leave a place where people (mostly) are very pleasant. I'd say it's probably the only place online I know where people can agree to disagree. 

RT needs work, needs maintenance, probably needs a little more attention than it's getting in terms of tech support, this is true. But there are a lot of members that cherish this place and make it as great as it is. I'd be a shame if we let some internet petty arguing drive one away from this. 

Enmanuel:

RT needs work, needs maintenance, probably needs a little more attention than it's getting in terms of tech support, this is true. But there are a lot of members that cherish this place and make it as great as it is. I'd be a shame if we let some internet petty arguing drive one away from this. 

Of the forums I have frequented, past and present, and despite a few rough edges here and there, the RT forum software is, in my opinion, one of the better. Particularly in comparison to the nearly ubiquitous vBulletin, it's much easier to find one's way to the active topics you are interested in and follow them, especially in regard to keeping track of unread posts.

The level of civil, thoughtful, knowledgeable and informed discussion also far exceeds most of these other forums, and many mailing lists, I've read or participated in. 

Grant:
    RC:
    Gnil:
    RC:

Also, don't worry, I am going to be the first to walk away from this forum because lately, I really don't see the point to feed the lions anymore. Smiley

You have mentioned this twice in the last weeks . So, what is your plan ? Are you really thinking about quitting RT

Yes. 

Hope you reconsider or maybe just a short break to recharge your energy?

RC, Rennteam would not be as special as it is without you and some of the other moderators and members.  Please consider taking a temporary break (you decide how much time you need based on how you feel) to recharge your battery rather than resigning permanently from Rennteam.  Smiley

Thanks for the kind words, guys. However, I also have to point out that this is no one man show and the mods, who I think feel a little bit like I do also, play a huge role too. 

I am sorry that I didn't keep my mouth shut, especially in the Paul Walker thread.

Taking a break or tagging along is not my style. If I call it quits, I quit. I won't be around on other car forums either.

Yes, I am disappointed (the mods feel the same...I guess), I am frustrated and I also realized that I started to neglect other (more important, from a family and business man point of view) activities. 

We have the right people here but not the right (technical and financial) environment. It is impossible to keep up such a site without serious money and serious involvement (time is money).

I know that some great people come together here and that many friendships have evolved out of Rennteam but I just don't see a future anymore and this isn't related to the users, the mods or even the necessary content but to the fact that  we just cannot improve what counts most...the user experience. Sad but true.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Nothing wrong with the software or the user experience IMHO...

I think participation has declined because of the lack of new blood. When you do a search of Porsche info this forum doesn't come up like other forums do? Not sure. Maybe the name has something to do with it also...

This forum is the nicest collection of cars enthusiasts, polite, opinionated and savvy...

Post count is also much greater than forums like FChat so I don't know what people really complain about...

It is a terrific car forum but if it cannot be maintained or does not have the resources to do so then there is not much anyone can do. I doubt donations would do any good. 

It is obviously complicated but it seems the "owner" doesn't care anymore but doesn't want to sell?

Many more mods are needed?

SciFrog:

It is obviously complicated but it seems the "owner" doesn't care anymore but doesn't want to sell?

Many more mods are needed?

You hit a nerve here. Smiley

Donations wouldn't really help, we need a full-scale overhaul and the necessary financial means to make it work. We have the contacts, we have the enthusiasm but me and the mods cannot invest more time (which would be needed to improve the content) and more mods could help but it wouldn't improve the software/appearance/marketing issues. Also, we would need an official accreditation with car manufacturers (we have one but only on a very low level) and when I see who gets test-drives and invites to events, it makes my skin crawl.

When some people, no blame here, enjoy special events and cars but don't want to share because they simply don't care (for whatever reasons) anymore, this cannot work. When some people have the means to improve our press contacts but they couldn't care less, this cannot work. I'm investing my precious (seriously, time is money for me...serious money) time, so do the mods (all of them have serious jobs and every single minute they spend here, means kind of "leaking" money out of their own pocket) but if you don't see a light on the horizon, why bother anymore?

We had Skype conferences, he had talks, we had a meeting (which was amazing from a friendship point of view but quite disappointing from an achievement point of view...so many plans and decisions and nothing has been achieved) but nothing has changed. 

So quite frankly, we would need a rich and car passionate IT and marketing pro who is willing to put money and other resources into Rennteam, so we can give it a complete overhaul and concentrate on making it what we planned from day one: A unique social network for car enthusiasts from car enthusiasts. We all know however that this is never going to happen. I do not think this is a business idea you can make a lot of money with (how? We don't want to bother our users with ads like other sites, where you almost don't know if you read a post or an ad), so it would require someone who has tons of money but even more enthusiasm regarding sports cars. I can also see Rennteam (or whatever it would be called) as a part of something bigger (like Google or Facebook or whatever) but do these internet giants really care about a couple of thousands of passionate sports car enthusiasts like us? Not so sure about that.

There are so many car sites on the internet but most of them aren't made and run by people who actually own and drive the cars they are reporting/talking about. Example: I got a warning from another (large) Porsche website because the owner wasn't to keen about me posting a link to Rennteam (it wasn't an ad, I just posted a link to a driving report). I exchanged a couple of mails with the owner of the site and found out that he has no Porsche (too expensive, too uncomfortable, bla bla bla). Oh well, so he does this for the money only. I get it. Smiley

We could make a difference and with our contacts and a better accreditation, we could offer a lot of content which wouldn't be accessible to other car sites. Right now however, we have to rely on the goodwill of Porsche and Co. and on our sources, which risk their jobs to offer some interesting information/rumors. Not what I expected when I started Rennteam.

Sorry for sharing my frustration with you guys but Rennteam is part of my life, kind of my "baby" and it makes me insanely sad to see it die a slow death. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Thanks for sharing RC . Maybe we should start a thread dedicated to this topic. Some ideas could come out of it .

Maybe RT needs to change direction and get ''sponsored'' by at least one major brand .

I don't believe in the ''big social car network '' but a well informed forum with great people ( like now ) and police , smart , discussions will make the difference .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Just so you know, and I might be alone in this, but the day Google or Facebook puts its hands on RT I am gone...

The current forum layout is great, much better than what is out there...

An iPhone/iPad app wrapper would be a killer feature however.

But in the end it is all about the people here. Whoever owns this should let it go... Can't be worth that much money anyway, like you said, and it won't make enough money to matter...

FWIW, RT is not alone in reduced participation. From what I have been able to determine, most auto sites are suffering. The problem is the same for all. The long time enthusiasts and participants are getting older, less enthused,  developed other interest and participate less. They have not been replaced by younger passionate car people. The result is inevitable. Declining membership and participation. 

New software may help but it would not address the problem above.  The issue is how do you get new blood into the car forums.

nberry:

FWIW, RT is not alone in reduced participation. From what I have been able to determine, most auto sites are suffering. The problem is the same for all. The long time enthusiasts and participants are getting older, less enthused,  developed other interest and participate less. They have not been replaced by younger passionate car people. The result is inevitable. Declining membership and participation. 

New software may help but it would not address the problem above.  The issue is how do you get new blood into the car forums.

This is true of most sites now. People like to come in and read what other people post but leave it up to others to add the content. RC probably has stats, but the number of daily visits vs the number of daily posts is most likely dreadful. We all have jobs and lives, but the community is what you make it.

Could be also the younger crowd chats about cars in FB or twitter and don't use traditional forums.

I also think that the majority of younger crowd is interested in different cars than the ones being discussed here. Mostly because they can't afford expensive cars (yet), so their interest moves to cars (and related forums) that are affordable. The group of younger people that can afford expensive cars is probably not as big as it was 20 years ago I guess... Not sure.

I have to agree with SciFrog, regarding the Rennteam forum. I like the layout and also the forum in general. Only a good iOS app would be nice to have, but not necessary. And please no Google or Facebook intervention on the forum... Sponsoring is a better way IMO.

Of the car-related forums that I participate on, I think Rennteam is the best, with the best crowd as well...

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SciFrog:

Could be also the younger crowd chats about cars in FB or twitter and don't use traditional forums.

Where is the fun in that? Those 2 don't really keep history.

I just went through the whole 918 thread from the beginning, re-reading my 'diary' from a year ago. Pretty cool.

--

A few thoughts about the above.

1. Right now, this Domain itself is likely worth more for other promotional purposes than for it's value as a Porsche car forum.

2.  At some point Porsche, now VW, completely missed the boat on social media as a marketing tool, not as a overt hammer but more of a subtle brand influencer. Porsche should have assigned a pr/marketing liason to this site years ago to help with special content.

3. Brand focused car forums can't generate the same traffic and viewer interest as a YouTube channel.  However, the two combined can be very powerful and can generate some fat revenue if done right.

4. If it was my site and my budget and my mission to crank some profit from this domain I would really push out car reviews on You Tube using a mix of hot babes and credible performance drivers and use the forum as a fan talk back/marketing/pr area.

I have noticed much more activity by Porsche Retail Group in the UK on twitter of late - they would appear to post more  risque content than the actual dealers are prepared to confirm - which is refreshing. Not sure how this could influence RT direction but on the face of it, PCGB seem to be embracing the digital age now?

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

SciFrog:

. Whoever owns this should let it go... Can't be worth that much money anyway, like you said, and it won't make enough money to matter...

+ 1 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Guys, thank you for the insight and yes, most of you are right and I agree with your opinions. We are on the same page here. I was just referring to Google and Facebook as "partners" to build a very special site for car enthusiasts but I think you guys are right, those who are younger and Google/FB addicts, probably don't care too much about Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari or whatever. Lately, I see so many young men being driven around by their girlfriends or wives in some small cars, apparently younger people don't enjoy sports cars anymore, maybe because they are out of reach (financially) for many but also because of the green movement lately which has also affected and altered the perception of sports cars in our modern society, I don't know.

I still think that manufacturers like Porsche or Ferrari could support a site like ours financially and with cars (for reviews, etc.) because they would profit directly and the connection to their customers (and future customers) would grow stronger. Yes, sports cars manufacturers missed the social media movement and not every Ferrari or Porsche owners wants to share his life/photos with a Twitter or Facebook crowd, I agree. 

So let me explain what we would do with financial AND car/marketing resources from Porsche and other manufacturers: Tons of driving reports, photos, videos, sharing experiences, etc. etc. etc.

Wouldn't you be interested in an interview with the development team of a 911?

Wouldn't you be interested to read about the daily routine of a Porsche test driver?

Wouldn't you be interested to view a Macan Turbo video done by us, not by a professional team or the Porsche marketing department? What would be different? Well, we would show more of the boot space, the rear passenger space, the engine/exhaust sound, etc., stuff potential buyers are really interested in.

I could continue but I think you get my point.

Also, I would love if Rennteam would become a place to plan group events, meetings, incl. the possibility to rent some of the latest models for special events. So many ideas, no financial support and more important, no support from car manufacturers.

It wouldn't really matter if Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc. would support us together. This would actually create a unique sports car community with many different people and car brands. Unless of course one brand, like Porsche for example, wants to keep it exclusive. It would be a pity (and a mistake in my opinion because comparisons aren't always bad) but I think we could live with that too.

Unfortunately car manufacturers keep the whole marketing stuff to themselves and if they would do something like Rennteam, they would actually do it with their own staff and on their own terms. This is why official sites never get the appreciation semi-official or private sites get but this is a lesson they need to learn first. 

Bottom line is: We could do great things, we have a great "audience" and user base and lots of people here would be willing to help but without some official support from manufacturers, this is not possible I'm afraid.

--

Christian, you raise several good points. However, many of them are covered by Porsche in their magazine Christophorus. They control the subject and questions.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 10/25/21 12:29 AM
    Pilot

492450 1291
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 11/8/21 7:43 PM
    Leawood911
    181106 1154
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 11/12/21 10:01 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    71708 383
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 11/25/21 6:30 PM
    watt
    67207 686
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 11/19/21 6:44 AM
    bluelines
    53192 529
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    49064 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    13393 29
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 11/18/21 3:28 PM
    RCA
    496 0
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    474057 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    389945 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/25/21 12:31 AM
    WhoopsyM
    386177 3949
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    351642 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 10/8/21 11:41 AM
    xpto
    321025 2647
    Porsche 992 GT3 11/27/21 7:07 PM
    WhoopsyM
    277689 3111
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    254784 1587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    169336 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    120066 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    104465 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 10/9/21 1:11 PM