Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Prices on 918s have come way down?

Maybe  I just haven't looked lately, but they seem hundreds of thousands cheaper than they were before. There are 7 on eBay right now, from $1.4 to $1.8M. 

Re: Prices on 918s have come way down?

Which is like twice the new price? heart

Still, for those who can't get hold of a GT4, the 918 could be an alternative smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:

Still, for those who can't get hold of a GT4, the 918 could be an alternative smiley

Well, but those disappointed non-GT4-buyers would always feel second-best with only a 918... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

bluelines:

I'm not sure what options there were, buy I'm pretty sure lots of 918s were in the mid-900s to $1M when all said and done.

Rossi:
    bluelines:

Well, but those disappointed non-GT4-buyers would always feel second-best with only a 918... Smiley

Yes, it is a truly tough situation. For most people it will remain the unicorn in Porsche's lineup and one can only hope that the 918 or RS can help to overcome the sorrow and emptiness which is destined for the non-GT4-buyers.

--

Best thing about buying a 918 in the US is the VIP Program.  You don't get that when you buy used...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:

Best think about buying a 918 in the US is the VIP Program.  You don't get that when you buy used...

Which was a smart move on Porsche's account; this way the pool of VIPs will shrink over time as relatively few initial buyers are the kind to declare any car a long term keeper.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

bluelines:

Smiley

Price coming down is a good thing, we owners can start driving them again. Unlike P1 owners who likes to admire the garage queen and talked about how valuable their cars are, the 918 owners flock the shit out of theirs. But it has become too valuable to drive lately. 

The 918 is a work horse, made to be driven. Hell we abused the bejesus out of those in Finland and they never missed a beat, a P1 will not last one morning. 

--

A bit like their F1 equivalent at the moment...   surprise

Will see what the GP in Melbourne this weekend brings

David

--

Whoopsy:

Price coming down is a good thing, we owners can start driving them again. Unlike P1 owners who likes to admire the garage queen and talked about how valuable their cars are, the 918 owners flock the shit out of theirs. But it has become too valuable to drive lately. 

The 918 is a work horse, made to be driven. Hell we abused the bejesus out of those in Finland and they never missed a beat, a P1 will not last one morning. 

Dunno about that. Seems like P1s get driven plenty. There are 2.5x as many 918s, so it's only natural you'll see them more often or more videos of them. The ML board seems to have owners who drive them all the time.

I'm guessing it would last just as long in Finland as the 918, the difference being it wouldn't be nearly as good given the RWD vs AWD.

If the 12C can drive fine in the snow with winter tires, why can't a P1? After all, you say the P1 is just a boosted 12C, so what's the difference?

I am on ML too, it's always only  that handful of owners. And some of them have moved onto the GTR.

P1 is a more stressed version of the P1, do you think it can handle the abuse? It's not about driving fine on ice, it's about redlining in the first few gears with tire spinning and sliding around, that'a lot of stress and McLaren doesn't have nearly the same amount of testing on their cars. 

Porsche has a fleet of 138 cars in Finland, for 2 months they have been abused in the cold from morning to night, not a single car has mechanical problems. And I said ABUSED. They were brand new with not much km on the clock, at the end of the whole event they now have 5000km each of hard hard mileage. The 918s were even older, as they were the preproduction cars. Try that with a fleet of McLarens and see if any survive the whole 2 months.

It's not even news that you try to talk down the 918 whenever you can without justification. 

--

Whoopsy:

I am on ML too, it's always only  that handful of owners. And some of them have moved onto the GTR.

P1 is a more stressed version of the P1, do you think it can handle the abuse? It's not about driving fine on ice, it's about redlining in the first few gears with tire spinning and sliding around, that'a lot of stress and McLaren doesn't have nearly the same amount of testing on their cars. 

Porsche has a fleet of 138 cars in Finland, for 2 months they have been abused in the cold from morning to night, not a single car has mechanical problems. And I said ABUSED. They were brand new with not much km on the clock, at the end of the whole event they now have 5000km each of hard hard mileage. The 918s were even older, as they were the preproduction cars. Try that with a fleet of McLarens and see if any survive the whole 2 months.

It's not even news that you try to talk down the 918 whenever you can without justification. 

Well, actually he does that with every single car, especially Porsche but apparently not McLaren. Smiley

Maybe we should start to moderate the forums in a more effective (but also restrictive) way, including off-topic stuff (yeah, I guess I would be banned then... Smiley). Seriously, I think it it time to consider it since some posts are just annoying without any substance.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

LOL. Your comment was nothing but some baseless assumption and anecdotal evidence.

Unlike P1 owners who likes to admire the garage queen and talked about how valuable their cars are, the 918 owners flock the shit out of theirs. 

You have proof of this other than some anecdotal evidence? Does the average 918 owner even have the skills to flog a 918 any more than they do any exotic? I really doubt it. Just because a handful of enthusiasts go to Porsche driving events does not mean the majority of the cars do anything other than cruise casually, accelerate hard in a straight line for a couple seconds on the highway, or maybe even just sit 99% of the time. That's not to say P1 owners do it any differently, but let's not pretend the 918 has suddenly become the daily driver, track workhorse for most owners. You yourself have said on numerous occasions you don't even drive it that much and use the RS much more.

Again, do you have any proof of why this is the case? You can make assumptions all you want, but at the end of the day you have no evidence to support it one way or the other.

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Well, actually he does that with every single car, especially Porsche but apparently not McLaren. Smiley

Maybe we should start to moderate the forums in a more effective (but also restrictive) way, including off-topic stuff (yeah, I guess I would be banned then... Smiley). Seriously, I think it it time to consider it since some posts are just annoying without any substance.

1. Huh? My 12C has been a relative piece of shit, and I've said that here and on McLaren forums. I'll say it anywhere and I tell people not to even buy one without a warranty of some sort. I'm quite vocal about its flaws.

2. Where did I talk down about the 918 anywhere in this thread? All I said was that they have come way down in price on eBay and that of course a 918 would be better in the snow with AWD.

3. If you'll notice, it was Whoopsy who got his panties in a bunch and started taking shots at McLaren for some reason, as if I care one way or another about the brand. People who find my comments about cars to be "talking down" are usually the ones who have some sort of attachment to them. You're right, I don't like the vast majority of cars and find many modern ones extremely disappointing in many respects. Why did I love the 1st gen R8? It was fresh. Why do I like McLaren? Fresh. Why do I like the NSX? Fresh. Many exotics today though are derivative with borderline facelift design and useless added performance, and that's why I'm not impressed with a huge number of them.

Hmm, should I?

Nah.

Everyone has been reading what we wrote for years. 

No need to say anything more.

--

RC:

Good idea. This would require the forum to first acquire a moderator. That is, an objective person with integrity and patience, who can moderate discussions to stay on topic without subjectively leading, disagreeing or correcting them, who refrains from and neutralises personal attacks, who acknowledges and accepts people opinions and views and finally who inspires the forum to prosper and thrive.

Shall we put together a job ad? 

--

918 owners flog the shit out of their cars rather than stare at them in the garage, yet they don't drive until now because they have been to valuable until just now? That doesn't even make any sense. Driving you 918s hard and but being so concerned about value doesn't make much sense either.

It's not that I have it out for the 918, it's that you get ruffled feathers over it so easy to the point someone can't even mention prices have dropped without reading it as some subliminal shot at the car.

GT3 RS prices have dropped too from what I can tell. There are 20 for sale on eBay and a white one in Chicago for $270K. Do you want to say how 675 LTs aren't being driven nearly as hard or something? Who cares and what does that have to do with anything?

If I am allowed to get back on topic...yes. if I'm not mistaken the Carrera GT spent a good number of years post-2004 trading at around $300k, well below MSRP, before it moved into the collectible category.  (always thought I should have bought one.... but as usual didn't !)  So short term price movements don't always predict long term prices.   

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:

If I am allowed to get back on topic...yes. if I'm not mistaken the Carrera GT spent a good number of years post-2004 trading at around $300k, well below MSRP, before it moved into the collectible category.  (always thought I should have bought one.... but as usual didn't !)  So short term price movements don't always predict long term prices.   

Correct.Smiley Prices will fluctuate depending on a number of factors. But at the end of the day, these very limited production cars will increase in value over time.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

Yea, CGT climbed very quickly in maybe the last few years. In 2011 or 2012 IIRC, you could get them all day in the 300s. A couple years later they wanted $600-700K.

It's a result of this idea in recent years that people really want cars to be more raw, more involving, with manuals, etc. I personally think this idea will come to pass though and that it will fade, along with the prices of some of the car that are appreciating as a result of it. 100% appreciation is quite in such a short period of time for a car that had been available for a long time and easy to get a hold of.

I remember when Lamborghini released the RWD, manual, more raw version of the LP560. Everyone raved that it was exactly what Lamborghini need, and then no one bought one.

Whoopsy, please correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't ice driving put relatively low stress on the mechanicals compared to lapping on a race circuit?  Yes the engines are spending a lot of time in high rpm ranges, but because of the lack of grip, g-forces are much lower and potentially there is just less load on the engine too because of wheelspin.  Kind of like revving your engine in neutral.  

I'm not trying to say the 918 is more or less reliable at all, just that a 918 outlasting the P1 on a circuit is a more strenuous test.  But I am not an engineer.

My money is on whoopsy.......

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

My money is on - not many of us can afford either...so what the hell...!heart

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

vantagesc:

Whoopsy, please correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't ice driving put relatively low stress on the mechanicals compared to lapping on a race circuit?  Yes the engines are spending a lot of time in high rpm ranges, but because of the lack of grip, g-forces are much lower and potentially there is just less load on the engine too because of wheelspin.  Kind of like revving your engine in neutral.  

I'm not trying to say the 918 is more or less reliable at all, just that a 918 outlasting the P1 on a circuit is a more strenuous test.  But I am not an engineer.

Not when the tires have 8mm studs, 700 of those on each tires. Engine is making real power throughout and the tires are spinning redlined at 3rd gear or 4th. IN neutral the 918 engines won't go over 5k rpm in comparison.

In the Turbo S one can hear the waste gate going on and off with throttle inputs.

--

4trac:

CGT is quite a bit different, Porsche dumped 2 years worth of supply onto the dealers to avoid the new airbag laws and the dealers had to discount them deeply to move them out the lot. 

--

Whoopsy:
    4trac:

CGT is quite a bit different, Porsche dumped 2 years worth of supply onto the dealers to avoid the new airbag laws and the dealers had to discount them deeply to move them out the lot. 

Porsche also built 36% more CGTs units than 918s ,that might have played a role too.

bluelines:
    RC:

Good idea. This would require the forum to first acquire a moderator. That is, an objective person with integrity and patience, who can moderate discussions to stay on topic without subjectively leading, disagreeing or correcting them, who refrains from and neutralises personal attacks, who acknowledges and accepts people opinions and views and finally who inspires the forum to prosper and thrive.

Suggestion (since you're not qualified for the job either, actually being one of the candidates for the next ban round Smiley): Why don't you open your own forum, deal with all the obstacles, spend your valuable(?) time in it, pay for it and do what you want there? How does this sound? Good? To use Nike's words: Just Do It. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:

Suggestion (since you're not qualified for the job either, actually being one of the candidates for the next ban round Smiley): Why don't you open your own forum, deal with all the obstacles, spend your valuable(?) time in it, pay for it and do what you want there? How does this sound? Good? To use Nike's words: Just Do It. Smiley Smiley

--

What ? Bluelines banned ? One of our '' old' members who has contributed a lot to the forum  and  real Porsche fan ( only GT4 at the moment Smiley)  and owner ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

As an aside, there are several GT4 owners on here... Grant, Watt, etc.. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

613614 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 8/6/22 1:00 AM
    W8MM
    247923 1183
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 8/10/22 7:55 AM
    GnilM
    139036 1117
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 7/2/22 7:50 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    135404 408
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 8/10/22 8:51 PM
    WhoopsyM
    116297 538
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    53127 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    540832 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    452903 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    448673 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    414275 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    403504 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 8/1/22 9:33 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    387641 3694
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    314178 1587
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/30/22 11:46 AM
    Wonderbar
    162642 1446
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    160618 772
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    132613 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM