Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Today I learned why we pay so much for our Turbos

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Driving a high performance sport car in the snow makes as much sense as mixing water with German beer.

Living in San Diego I take it that you're not too familiar with that kind of fun - you don't know what your missing

... but somehow Nick is right about the comparison with the water and the German beer.

Let's say the comparison is 50% right
    Nick is right that both exercises (driving Porsche on snow and mixing water with German beer) do not make any sense, but (as opposed to drinking watered beer- where's the vomiting smiley ) driving a Porsche on snow is big fun

I must insist that it has to be "mixing German beer with water" and not the other way round!

And here it is BTW...

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    I must insist that it has to be "mixing German beer with water" and not the other way round!

And here it is BTW...

I must have been confused by the mere thought of mixing water with German beer (ehem...the other way round)
    But in the US some breweries offer ready made convenience drinks (at least the stuff tastes like ready made beer/water mix) - so Nick doesn't need to take care of the correct mixing procedure

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Christian you are now really streching to justify the 997TT. Driving a high performance sport car in the snow makes as much sense as mixing water with German beer.

Nick, it makes as much sense as you using an all-wheel drive SUV ( Cayenne S ) in arid, flat, paved San Diego . (Need it in case of a Pacific Ocean tsunami ?)

Owned.

Seriously, with two AWD cars in the household (Audi allroad and 997TT), both with winter tires, I find myself taking the 997TT out most of the times in the snow and rain.

It's really a lot of fun.

For me, life is too short to drive nice cars only to show off.

Quote:
    W211 said:

Ding! Ding ! We have a Winner !!

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Nick you are incorrigible...Is there a doctor in the house, Nick needs help.

We tried to help him long ago . We just keep him around now as the harmless village goofball.

nice ...funny how love has a way of growing on you the more you learn and experience...the gallardo had a dead battery

More snow pictures.

Btw: these aren't pictures found somewhere on the internet without knowing the "background story". These are REAL pictures done by myself in my car.

Driving up the hill...no problemo.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Christian you are now really streching to justify the 997TT. Driving a high performance sport car in the snow makes as much sense as mixing water with German beer.

Nick, if you would have snow or rainy roads 8 months a year or more, at least, you wouldn't say that.
    The bavarian winter usually lasts from late November til early April, this year we were lucky and no snow until two days ago, following most powerful hurricane in german history (thank god, nothing serious happened).

I remember why I sold my 996 Turbo: this car was very low and I had no winter tires (too expensive). It sat almost three months in the garage without being used, this was one of the reasons I sold it (regrets came shortly after... ).

Re: Today I learned why we pay so much for our Tur

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    So the Turbo IS the real Snow Porsche!

For the sake of Lamborghinis honor I found this.

That's Roy's car

Quote:
    W211 said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, it makes as much sense as you using an all-wheel drive SUV ( Cayenne S ) in arid, flat, paved San Diego . (Need it in case of a Pacific Ocean tsunami ?)

Owned.

Seriously, with two AWD cars in the household (Audi allroad and 997TT), both with winter tires, I find myself taking the 997TT out most of the times in the snow and rain.

San Diego flat? Think again. We are surrounded by mountains. BTW hopefully you do not shorten your life trying to show off with regarding what your nice car can do.

I love to hang around Porsche guy's because I feel obliged to try and rehabilitate them. It is a work in progress and I must tell you it is taxing my patience. But because I have always believed that pain is temporary and quitting is forever, I NEVER GIVE UP!

Quote:
    nberry said:

You are just supremely jealous that we Turbo owners can enjoy our cars year round no matter the weather, let's see you try that in your Ferrari......

Better yet, let's go for a ski trip in Aspen, we take our Turbos and you take your Ferrari......plus AAA's tow truck service number.

Not everyone lives in places with moderate climate, your flashy Ferrari might suits you perfectly where you lived, but for people with snow/rain to content with, the Turbo makes MUCH more sense. I was considering the F430, Gallardo and the Turbo, first car I scratched was the F430, it does not have awd and that's the deal breaker period. When ! paid that much for a car why shouldn't I be able to drive it whenever I WANT to, regardless of weather.

Ferrari may rank first on your list but it's not on my list.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    San Diego flat? Think again. We are surrounded by mountains. BTW hopefully you do not shorten your life trying to show off with regarding what your nice car can do.

Nick , I've spent a lot of time around San Diego.If those itty bitty mesas that segregate the entire region into countless numbers of developed ravines is what you call mountains ...

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick , I've spent a lot of time around San Diego.If those itty bitty mesas that segregate the entire region into countless numbers of developed ravines is what you call mountains ...

I am gonna agree with nick on this one, within san diego county you have palomar mountain at 6126 feet (great steep twisties), hot springs mountain at 6400 feet, laguna mountains at 6500 feet and cuyamaca mountains at 6515 feet, not to mention about an hour north you have big bear mountain at 8800 feet. These are hardly itty bitty mesas

show off?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    BTW hopefully you do not shorten your life trying to show off with regarding what your nice car can do.

Thanks for the kind wishes nberry. I wouldn't consider enjoying the Porsche 997 turbo with winter tires in the snow exactly showing off. If you have tried it you would realize it's really not a big deal.

Quote:
    nberry said:

If you live in cold country, you will see it is not a stretch and appreciate the option to drive a Porsche in winter. I used to always think Porsche should be driven in the summer. So with a decent car kept for winter driving, I bought a 968. Now come to think about it, if I put the money set aside for a decent winter car (30K Cdn) on top of my 968, I can afford a 996 MK2. If a 911 is undrivable on snow, I probabily will never manage to have one.

Quote:
    aah986 said:

I am gonna agree with nick on this one, within san diego county you have palomar mountain at 6126 feet (great steep twisties), hot springs mountain at 6400 feet, laguna mountains at 6500 feet and cuyamaca mountains at 6515 feet, not to mention about an hour north you have big bear mountain at 8800 feet. These are hardly itty bitty mesas

I grew uo a couple hours from Mt Whitney , the highest point in lower 48 states at over 14,000 ft. Yet no one in my home town needs an AWD truck unless they travel forest service roads or frequent snow.
    I was talking about the day-to day trips of urban San Diego and esp the LJ/RSF area that Nick hangs around at. Unless you are a true off-roader , one can traverse those areas you mention in a rusted out FWD or RWD econobox from the early 1970s.

Quote:
    aah986 said:I am gonna agree with nick on this one, within san diego county you have palomar mountain at 6126 feet (great steep twisties), hot springs mountain at 6400 feet, laguna mountains at 6500 feet and cuyamaca mountains at 6515 feet, not to mention about an hour north you have big bear mountain at 8800 feet. These are hardly itty bitty mesas

I love San Diego, but those mountains are wimpy

14,300 ft. paved road just a few miles from me

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:

I grew uo a couple hours from Mt Whitney , the highest point in lower 48 states at over 14,000 ft. Yet no one in my home town needs an AWD truck unless they travel forest service roads or frequent snow.
    I was talking about the day-to day trips of urban San Diego and esp the LJ/RSF area that Nick hangs around at. Unless you are a true off-roader , one can traverse those areas you mention in a rusted out FWD or RWD econobox from the early 1970s.

It certainly feels weird to defend nberry but maybe he uses his Cayenne S like I use mine when I go skiing to big bear or Mammoth mountain where I find it very useful, so you see, it is ok to own an SUV in san diego even if you don't go offroad which I do sometimes

I'd show you a picture of my Z in the snow but it doesn't snow much here in Florida

Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    I'd show you a picture of my Z in the snow but it doesn't snow much here in Florida

That's okay, just show us some sand dune shots.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:

That's okay, just show us some sand dune shots.

I think you guys with your AWD would do better in the sand then me.

Quote:
    aah986 said:

It certainly feels weird to defend nberry but maybe he uses his Cayenne S like I use mine when I go skiing to big bear or Mammoth mountain where I find it very useful, so you see, it is ok to own an SUV in san diego even if you don't go offroad which I do sometimes

Why are all my cars AWD , because I have a place at Tahoe.Who wants to deal with chains over Donner Pass ? Plus all the icy roads at lake level when chains are long removed. Do I really need AWD here in the Bay Area ? Of course not..and neither does anyone around SD, unless , like you, they go off road or to the snow .I suspect my Turbo has seen more snow than Nick's Cayenne .

Great picture! I have to say I am impressed!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 2/23/24 11:21 AM
    RCA
    581354 1761
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    377769 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    251904 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 2/22/24 5:12 PM
    GT-Boy
    210227 291
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    41488 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 2/19/24 9:07 AM
    RCA
    2263 25
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

840821 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    725339 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM