Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Racing shells

Do you know if also for 987 is possible to install the racing shells instead normal sport seats???Is there any ptoblem with airbags???

Re: Racing shells

Yes there would be a problem - the side and head airbags are an integral part of the standard / sports seats.

it is possible, but i believe it would look a bit strange and out of place.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Yes there would be a problem - the side and head airbags are an integral part of the standard / sports seats.

In fact, the thorax (side) airbag is integrated into the outside of the seat backrest, and the curtain airbag (head protection) is sited in the top of the door trim, but this does not alter the fact that fitting a bucket seat would result in less occupant protection.

This is exactly why Porsche needs to design supplemental restraint systems without putting airbags in the seats. I don't see why they can't put airbags in the doors or elsewhere in the interior. What has made Porsche stand out in my mind is that you can take basically any car they produce and track it. They won't break or overheat, they just perform. However, In my opinion, you also need to be able to put proper racing shells in the car if it is to be considered fully "track ready". I really hope Porsche is listening because this is not a good trend.

The new adaptive sport seats provide almost the grip of a racing shell, believe it or not. You won't be able to achieve more lateral g in your car than this seat can hold.
    And higher lateral g figures would be only possible using slicks. And slicks are not approved by Porsche because they could cause serious engine damage due to reduced oil distribution.
    And like it or not, the Boxster has never been designed for track racing. Period.

To my knowledge, the new 997 GT3 gets the sport seats as a standard seat (incl. airbags) and the heavier adaptive sports seats will be optional. At the same time, Porsche is rumored to offer a Clubsport version which includes racing shells without the thorax airbags in the outside part of the seat backrest, just the airbags in the doors for head protection. This setup still provides a lot of protection but of course not as good as with the additional airbags in the seats. Personally, I would order the GT3 with the adaptive sport seats because for amateur track driving, this is completely sufficient and effective, despite the additional weight. For serious track racing however, the racing shells are mandatory.

Thanks RC.
    Last question: for Boxster and Boxster S, the standard equipment includes Sport Seats??? I'm speaking about normal sport seats, not adaptive. Do you have the pricelist that I asked you to send me please???

I just sent it to you via eMail. Caution: it is a tax free list for Europe, you have to add VAT in Italy.

Quote:
    Yargk said:
    This is exactly why Porsche needs to design supplemental restraint systems without putting airbags in the seats. I don't see why they can't put airbags in the doors or elsewhere in the interior.

Are you a car engineer? They already put airbags in the doors, so where would you put thorax airbags? Make a suggestion. Maybe Porsche should do what some other manufacturers do: offering only 2 airbags or maximum 4 on their cars. For the benefit of all Schumacher wannabees who think that a racing shell makes them better drivers.

I remember I had a short discussion with a GT3 owner a while ago who made complaints about the car's weight.
    I asked him how he would reduce weight and he proposed removing all airbags (but surpringly not the A/C because he sweats a lot in summertime ). I know this guy from a friend, he track races his car maybe once or twice a year and just for fun. And he uses his GT3 as a daily driver.
    I'm just waiting for some smarta.. who proposes to remove the seatbelts to reduce weight.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your complaint. But I prefer the thorax side bags in heavier adaptive sport seats than a racing shell and no thorax airbags at all. Call me a pussy but I love life.

FOR RC

Excuse me, I've sent you a PM on your email address, please read it!!!!
    Thanks a lot

I just tried out the Adaptive Sport seats in a 997 Carrera S that the dealer urged me to drive while my 2001 996TT was being serviced.

WOW, are the Adaptive Sport seats really, really good! They are a "10 dB" improvement over the standard 996 sport seats, which I have in my 996TT. They seem to offer as much lateral support as the Carrera GT shells in which I have sat (but didn't get to drive) on several occasions. I was very favorably impressed with the new seats.

As a side benefit for tall guys, the Adaptive Sport seats can be adjusted quite a bit lower in the car so that I have room for a helmet AND still have a sunroof fitted. They are the absolute best of both worlds of cruising comfort/practicality and track-driving torso support.

Well done, Porsche!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Yargk said:
    This is exactly why Porsche needs to design supplemental restraint systems without putting airbags in the seats. I don't see why they can't put airbags in the doors or elsewhere in the interior.

Are you a car engineer? They already put airbags in the doors, so where would you put thorax airbags? Make a suggestion. Maybe Porsche should do what some other manufacturers do: offering only 2 airbags or maximum 4 on their cars. For the benefit of all Schumacher wannabees who think that a racing shell makes them better drivers.

I remember I had a short discussion with a GT3 owner a while ago who made complaints about the car's weight.
    I asked him how he would reduce weight and he proposed removing all airbags (but surpringly not the A/C because he sweats a lot in summertime ). I know this guy from a friend, he track races his car maybe once or twice a year and just for fun. And he uses his GT3 as a daily driver.
    I'm just waiting for some smarta.. who proposes to remove the seatbelts to reduce weight.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your complaint. But I prefer the thorax side bags in heavier adaptive sport seats than a racing shell and no thorax airbags at all. Call me a pussy but I love life.

I'm all for safety and if Porsche thinks 6 airbags for two people is safer than 4, then I trust them. If I didn't care about safety I'd suggest what that GT3 owner did about removing the airbags entirely. This is why I'm bothered by the airbags in the seats, because I want to be able to keep the car just as safe as stock. To me, for serious track work, you need racing shells, no questions about it. I mean the car would probably be safer if it made 300 hp instead of 380 and had a speed limiter set to 100 mph, but this would destroy what the car is used for. Porsche would never decrease the performance of their cars to these levels for safety, instead they made the car controllable and addded passive and active safety items. I don't have a solution because I see how an airbag that moves with the seat could be useful because it would always be in the proper place no matter the seat position. I do however think that Porsche should treat the ability to use race shells like it does the performance of their cars. In other words, they need to engineer a way to make the car just as safe while keeping the items needed for a Porsche to be a Porsche (the ability to do SERIOUS track work while keeping the car streeable). Maybe they could sell racing shells themselves that they have added airbags.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/16/22 11:50 AM
    BjoernB

572456 1304
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/23/22 1:43 PM
    Rossi
    222054 1179
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/17/22 1:30 AM
    watt
    110835 955
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/1/22 7:14 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    108001 405
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    89147 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31392 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    511576 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    426871 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    423792 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    387126 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    364439 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/13/22 3:48 PM
    Grant
    345274 3536
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    289167 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    137299 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/25/22 7:26 PM
    bluelines
    134286 1388
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    110631 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM