Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New 7 on order

Since our Range Rover Sport was immediately after delivery got hijacked and occupied  by my wife (well - her British her inside wanted to have that car and I have to admit its great and much better as I anticipated) - so I needed an own car for my long distance business rides. As I drive between 1000 and 1500 km a week I wanted a car which is comfortable and sporty at the same time. Also - it needed to be relaxed and not a car which forces me to race - fast enough (6.2 s 0-60 / Top Speed 250) and good to the nature (7 liter/100km or 40.9 miles per gallon). So  I decided for the following car which will be delivered in April:

BMW 740d M Sport Saloon

optioned as followed:

Oyster/Black Nappa Leather

Imperial Blue Xirallic

Steering wheel heating

Tyre pressure monitor

Integral Active Steering

Alarm system (Thatcham 1)

Bootlid operation, powered

Universal Remote Control

Model designation deletion

Comfort Access

Soft-close doors

Climate Comfort windscreen

Reversing Assist camera

Electric Glass Sunroof

Sunblind - rear windscreen, electric

Sunblinds - rear windscreen and rear side windows, electric

Floor mats, velour

Exterior and interior mirrors - folding, automatically dimming

Smokers package

Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory

Through-loading ski bag

Lumbar support, driver and front pass.

Seat heating, front

Air conditioning, automatic with four-zone control

Instrument panel with leather finish

Ambient lighting

Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear

Adaptive Headlights

High-beam Assistant

Lane departure warning system

Lane change warning system

Active Cruise Control with "Stop and Go" function

Surround-view

BMW Tracking

TV function

Navigation-system Professional

Head-up Display

BMW Assist

BMW Assist online portal

Voice Control

Bluetooth phone prep + telematics

DAB digital radio

Loudspeaker system - BMW Professional

USB audio interface

Telephone USB audio interface

Exterior trim, High-gloss Shadowline

Sun protection glass

Speed limit display

M Sport Package

19" V-Spoke style 302 M alloy wheels

Dynamic Drive

Sport seats, front

M Steering Wheel

Headlining, Anthracite

M aerodynamic bodystyling

Fineline natural finish interior trim, unlacquered

Re: New 7 on order

Hijacked, haha I know that word.

My wife hijacked the X6M a while ago already, what's with women and their love for driving suv?

If you are driving that much a week, think you are going to have second thought on the oyster leather? I have that in my B7, looks GREAT in the showroom, looks GREAT in picture, but I am not sure how long until they get dyed by pants.

If you have a choice, I thing you might want to give up the lane departure warning, I have that and I think it's pretty useless, it 'reads' the lane markers and give you a vibration in the steering wheel if you get close to the markers.

Hi Whoopsy,

Actually - the pictures of your B7 made me having a seven  and also made me taking the Oyster!

I was on and off for the Oyster leather, but finally I went for it knowing about all the coloring issue. I have great detailing stuff in my garage and on our Mini we have light colored leather, too. Whenever there is a bit blue from the jeans you just put a bit spray on top and wipe it off - so I risk it.

Regarding the departure warning I'm with you. Had this in the last car and it is stupidly annoying. But - it comes only in a package, so I had to take it knowing that I even will not use it.

Congrats Lars, very well specced car Smiley and noise choice for the kind of use you´re going to give.

Do you have pics of this Oyster leather?

J.Seven

Very good limousine the 740d It's a great shape especially for the large car it is.

However, can you elaborate on the advantages you see over the cheaper and more economical but still spacious 535d?

--

"Form follows function"

Lars997:

Hi Whoopsy,

Actually - the pictures of your B7 made me having a seven  and also made me taking the Oyster!

I was on and off for the Oyster leather, but finally I went for it knowing about all the coloring issue. I have great detailing stuff in my garage and on our Mini we have light colored leather, too. Whenever there is a bit blue from the jeans you just put a bit spray on top and wipe it off - so I risk it.

Regarding the departure warning I'm with you. Had this in the last car and it is stupidly annoying. But - it comes only in a package, so I had to take it knowing that I even will not use it.

I am very flattered :) I had the first gen Bangled 7 before and I have been missing a 7 since I sold it. S-class even in AMG trim didn't excite me one bit, the A8 came close but the trunk was a deal breaker for me as it wasn't wide enough for golf clubs. Technology speaking there is nothing on the road that come close.

The black and oyster interior really stands out that's for sure, and I am surprised at the comments that I got about how superb on the color choice.  I prepared for the interior maintenance as I got a bottle of leather cleaner/protection lotion for the leather just for the cause. I can tell you for the last 2 weeks that I got the car the leather has been standing up to my jeans with the protection. Plus the seat back is pretty resistant to my 2yr old son's kicking, no marks that I cannot remove with cleaner.

I turned the lane departure warning off but I had the night vision camera that came with the package and I think that was a great addition. On clear nights the range was superb. The camera picked up heat sources farther than I can visually see, but on rainy nights the performance dropped off quite a bit as everything the camera sees is quite cold with temperature hovering around 4-5 degree in the rain, pretty much everything is black except the exhaust from the cars in front.

If you have an iPhone remember to download the BMW connect app, it's free but only from UK site, very useful :)

You picked the right sedan, I drove a Panamera Turbo for a couple days earlier this week as I swapped cars with my buddy, the 7 wins hands down, maybe the Panemera have the edge on track but on real roads the 7 is just that much better, Panamera still is at least a generation behind the 7 on road manners.

Congrats Lars - very nice spec

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Congratulations, Lars. Good choice for a business ride !  My wife tries to  hi-jack my X5 M for some time now but I put up some very mean defenses. It will change however when a new car comes in, this is where she will get to drive the X5 M and I'm going to drive something else (and faster ). 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Whoopsy:
    You picked the right sedan, I drove a Panamera Turbo for a couple days earlier this week as I swapped cars with my buddy, the 7 wins hands down, maybe the Panemera have the edge on track but on real roads the 7 is just that much better, Panamera still is at least a generation behind the 7 on road manners.

Could you elaborate on this comparison, please.

--

"Form follows function"

Very nice choice of colors and options, it'll be a fantastic business car 

reginos:
    Whoopsy:

Panamera has a stiffer/firmer tuning of the shocks, good for track and high speed corner but you will feel it when going over bumps and uneven surfaces, 7 has a more compliant tuning of the shocks, there isn't a harsh bump going over the same surfaces.

Panamera is a faster car, with a pdk gearbox the power delivery is very direct, you feel every nudge of the throttle, not something everyone wants, some people prefer the smooth delivery of power from a automatic torque converter.

Panamera is quite a bit more flashier than my B7, I could disappear in a sea of traffic and only the badge on the trunk tells it's something special, Panamera has the obvious Porsche looks and attracts too much cop attention.

5 seats vs 4.

7 trunk is 'bigger'. I don't have the volume handy but I can fit 4 set of clubs in the trunk with a couple push carts, these don't all fit in the Panamera as it has a narrower trunk.

iDrive vs PCM. Could be biased as I have been using iDrive for quite a few years now, I know where every functions is but I was hunting for stuff in the PCM and I know PCM already from my Turbo. Also the iDrive wheel is very handy as I don't have to hunt for buttons, and the wheel is excellent for entering stuff with the clicky feedback. I don't have to look at the screen to check if I enter stuff correctly.

I also find the seat in the 7 more comfortable for long drives than the Panamera, not saying Panamera has a bad seat, it is very comfortable too but I find it gets tiring earlier in the Panamera, while I can stay seated longer in the 7, I think it's down to the different contour and firmness of the seats, could very much be personal preference, someone might find it completely opposite.

Whoopsy:
    reginos:
    Whoopsy:

Panamera has a stiffer/firmer tuning of the shocks, good for track and high speed corner but you will feel it when going over bumps and uneven surfaces, 7 has a more compliant tuning of the shocks, there isn't a harsh bump going over the same surfaces.

Panamera is a faster car, with a pdk gearbox the power delivery is very direct, you feel every nudge of the throttle, not something everyone wants, some people prefer the smooth delivery of power from a automatic torque converter.

Panamera is quite a bit more flashier than my B7, I could disappear in a sea of traffic and only the badge on the trunk tells it's something special, Panamera has the obvious Porsche looks and attracts too much cop attention.

5 seats vs 4.

7 trunk is 'bigger'. I don't have the volume handy but I can fit 4 set of clubs in the trunk with a couple push carts, these don't all fit in the Panamera as it has a narrower trunk.

iDrive vs PCM. Could be biased as I have been using iDrive for quite a few years now, I know where every functions is but I was hunting for stuff in the PCM and I know PCM already from my Turbo. Also the iDrive wheel is very handy as I don't have to hunt for buttons, and the wheel is excellent for entering stuff with the clicky feedback. I don't have to look at the screen to check if I enter stuff correctly.

I also find the seat in the 7 more comfortable for long drives than the Panamera, not saying Panamera has a bad seat, it is very comfortable too but I find it gets tiring earlier in the Panamera, while I can stay seated longer in the 7, I think it's down to the different contour and firmness of the seats, could very much be personal preference, someone might find it completely opposite. 

Thank you! Very helpful to read.

--

"Form follows function"

This will be a very nice car which will be just perfect for your daily cruising, Lars.

I would have taken the new 5series, but the 7 is great nevertheless.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Thanks guys so much for your nice words! I'm happy and its like always an annoying wait! 

@Whoopsy: they have some new options starting up in Marc. One of them is the full color Head Up, another one an extended iApp - its 150,- €. This gives you internet radio as well as iTunes Video and some other stuff (they couldn't tell me exactly them self ;) - Leather protection is a must and I already have it ;)

@Regions: I wanted to go for the Panamera, too. But beside the Lease which would have been much higher by a factor of 2.2 I was a bit disappointed, too. I follow Whoopsy's description by 100 %. For me the active steering (all four wheels are turning) was the most stunning feature on the test drive. Going from that into a car without its like going from a cart to a truck! That feeling of handling doesnt even give you a Panamera

@J.Seven: Check Whoopsy'S config to see Oyster:  www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20190891/Sneak_peek/page1.html

Congrats Lars, 740d is great car Smiley

Lars997:

Many congrats. A very good choice for business purposes.Smiley
     Porsche and BMW as a whole are the most competent manufacturers for my personal use .

Just one question: what would you recommend to keep the leather clean and light? Sometimes I used the "Porsche Leathercare" but I'm not that happy with the cleaning effect.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Conny997:

Just one question: what would you recommend to keep the leather clean and light? Sometimes I used the "Porsche Leathercare" but I'm not that happy with the cleaning effect.

Porsche have 2 products for leather. The leather cleaner (Lederreiniger) a colourless liquid and the leather care (Lederpflege), the cream. Which did you use?

--

"Form follows function"

Ah, ok. I don't knew that that the cleaner is available as well. I always used the leather care. Thanks for the hint.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Just arrived home from an inner London drive and on my way a white 7 series pulled up beside at a red light. It was absolutely stunning in that colour along with multi spoke rim's. Not sure what engine, it was de-badged..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Lars997:

. I follow Whoopsy's description by 100 %. For me the active steering (all four wheels are turning) was the most stunning feature on the test drive. Going from that into a car without its like going from a cart to a truck! That feeling of handling doesnt even give you a Panamera

@J.Seven: Check Whoopsy'S config to see Oyster:  www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20190891/Sneak_peek/page1.html

Very nice interior.

Can you elaborate a little about your test drive and the feeling of the active steering? How can four wheel drive, be so much better!!!! If it was, we would have seen it much more over the years. I remember the Mitsubishi 3000GT back in 1990 had it, but it never made a huge sucess among top brands. New Renault Laguna has it too.

J.Seven

@Conny: I have two different products for leather care in use: Lexol and the other one is from www.lederzentrum.de - I use Lexol for protection and minor dirt. For heavier things I use the stuff from Lederzentrum. They have also a special product to wipe off the Jeans color - works very efficient and easy. As said - our Mini has light beige leather seats which are looking still perfectly new after 2 years and 17000 km!

@J.Seven: The difference is not only the 4 wheel steering its more the active steering which makes the whole steering more agile and more direct. As I was testdriving the Panamera I was still having my 535d with active steering (2 wheel steering). Coming back from the Panamera I felt the BMW light and much more active handling than the Porsche before. Especially when you are slow only small movements of the steering wheel gives a huge effect on the axle. I dont know if I would like to have this on the track, but on country roads and city drive its a lot of fun. Now the 7 and new 5 is available with same technology + additional steering on the rear axle.

I had a whole day two 7 test cars - one of them with, the other one without the active integral steering. I cant tell you how much the difference is, its stunningly a lot. You have to testride to know what I talk about. The car handles like a 3 series. And by the way - the one without the active steering was a 730d, the one with a 730dlong - so the longer one felt at least a meter shorter as the 730d!

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/mm_active_steering.html

Hi, Lars. Thanks for the link. Very helpful. Smiley

The guys from Lederzentrum seems to be very knowledgeable.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:

Hi, Lars. Thanks for the link. Very helpful. Smiley

The guys from Lederzentrum seems to be very knowledgeable.

They also get 100% for customer service from me. Always helpful and very fast!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

586738 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 6/8/22 4:41 PM
    Topspeed
    224368 1180
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 6/24/22 5:27 PM
    TB993tt
    116165 1055
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/29/22 8:01 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    110414 406
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    91121 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31977 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    514552 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    430167 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    426998 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    390771 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    372798 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 6/26/22 9:49 PM
    TB993tt
    358006 3655
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    291580 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    138918 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 6/26/22 1:34 AM
    WhoopsyM
    136719 1389
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    111602 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM