Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

help me decide guys re PSE

Guys,

We all know now that the Porsche Sports Exahust is delayed with no estimated time of arrival yet. I'm a prefectionist, I hate having things installed by the dealer afterwards, very hesitant about tuning if not done by PAG prior to delivery. In addition, the dealer wants to charge another $2000 over the price of the option for installation of PSE after delivery (don't tell me to tell them to take a hike as this is no option, we only have one dealer in this country and we have to deal with them whether we like it or not). The decision I took on my own is to delay the car until Dec 31st, 2004. If by then, there is no news about PSE or an ETA, i'll ask them to go ahead and build the car without PSE and live with it. What do you guys think after knowing all of this, should I do this or wait until PSE is available even if its 06? a plus side of waiting is that the first year gimmicks may be fixed by then.

HELP!
    Thanks..

Re: help me decide guys re PSE

I'm a believer in getting the car NOW ! Ask yourself which is more important - enjoying the car for the extra year, or waiting for the exhaust.
    Remember that the exhaust is not like changing an engine internal; any reasonable dealer should be abkle to do it. Or you could get a fabspeed type exhaust. Go for the car, now !!!

How much in demand is the 997 there? In other words, how about asking them in return for purchasing one now, will they consider retrofitting the PSE for little or no cost. It is after all, Porsche's fault for saying it would be available already. Or you could say, give me a call when PSE is available, I might order a 997 then. In the meantime, I'll go take a look at a MB SL55.

Dubliner, reasonable dealer is the only dealer !!!! I am not happy that they want to charge a lot more than what the option costs from the factory, the least they could have done is say same cost and go for the car now.

Alan, it is under high demand overhere, like I said they want almost $2000 more than what the option costs from the factory !!!

get the car ASAP, you won't be dissapointed.

if the dealer is competant, they should be able to install the exhaust JUST like the factory.

Moogle, what's your opinion in ripping me off the extra couple of thousands though! Are you guys reading the whole paragraph or maybe I am not making my self clear?

Quote:
    muhri said:
    Guys,

We all know now that the Porsche Sports Exahust is delayed with no estimated time of arrival yet. I'm a prefectionist, I hate having things installed by the dealer afterwards, very hesitant about tuning if not done by PAG prior to delivery. In addition, the dealer wants to charge another $2000 over the price of the option for installation of PSE after delivery (don't tell me to tell them to take a hike as this is no option, we only have one dealer in this country and we have to deal with them whether we like it or not). The decision I took on my own is to delay the car until Dec 31st, 2004. If by then, there is no news about PSE or an ETA, i'll ask them to go ahead and build the car without PSE and live with it. What do you guys think after knowing all of this, should I do this or wait until PSE is available even if its 06? a plus side of waiting is that the first year gimmicks may be fixed by then.

HELP!
    Thanks..

muhri, I know exactly how you feel, as you know I'm extremely disappointed at not getting PSE and especially after specifically hanging on for such a long time, but I think Dubliner has a good point, you should just get on and enjoy the car, I certainly am doing just that. Also like you I am a bit of a perfectionist and have had to drop my usually standards, but lets face it, every week that goes by, every communication that you make with PO is going to be stressful and unpredictable, remember no one really knows when PSE will be available.
    The car is a fun thing and you must prevail to keep it that way, how are you going to feel if you wait until 2006 for PSE and it's still not available? Just imagine all the fun you would have missed....It only an exhaust that sounds a little louder at the end of the day.
    The retro fit charges are absolutely outrages.
    Maybe order another car now (small holding deposit) with PSE and enjoy and take your current car (without PSE) which you'll sale and replace with the PSE car when it finally arrives, obviously all subject to residuals and all that (certainly viable in the UK) or contact PO head office as there must be a recommended price for retro fitting. Although I'd forget leaning on your dealer to throw in PSE fitting due to the lack of supply on your current purchase I personally cant see them retro fitting for no cost as its not there fault that PSE is not available, also its not the standard exhaust and the car functions perfectly well without it and also you do have the option to wait or take a car without it.

But I do know how you feel, so get the car and start enjoying.

Thanks Med... appreciate your response.

Right now, the latest information regarding sport exhaust availability (for ordering on new cars!) says LATE MY 2005.
    This means that option XLF (PSE) shouldn't be expected before late winter or early spring, maybe even later.
    Go ahead with your order WITHOUT PSE, you'll be fine.
    2000 USD for a PSE retrofit? This guy can't be serious, this is INSANE. A PSE retrofit (without parts cost) shouldn't be more than 500 USD and I guess some of our US friends will agree that even 500 USD is a bit too much.
    Talk to your dealer and ask him how much he charges for a simple exhaust install (taking off, putting on job) and add around 200-300 USD to it for the switch install, etc. He shouldn't ask more.

Keep us informed.

Muhri, I also know what you're saying. Yes its very disappointing that the PSE is not still available. In my 997S as you can imagine there is no PSE, and the sound is very very good and also much louder than the 996 when driving(and what about the ignition in cold ohhh), but in my opinion if I was you I'll rather wait till December and see+pray if the PSE is available from factory. With the PSE install the 997S will have a very sport sound, much more higher and cold starts will be like thunderstoms!!!!!.

I am with you, I am thinking in installing the PSE at dealer once the PSE is available, (I also asked to RC when the PSE was available but no one knows).
    Its a hard decision, but in my opinion I'll wait for the PSE, AS I don't want the local dealer from here in Palma to mess arround with my car when installing the PSE.

good luck !

For a street car sport exhaust does little to effect performance, right?

If so, all you are doing is bothering the neighbors and bystanders and getting yourself off on an even higher dose of engine sound that is already provided to a plentiful degree as stock.

Love,
    Dad

Yes, I agree with MaxErnst. To reiterate my view :
    Get the car NOW and enjoy it ! In my mind, the extra year's enjoyment is worth more than the incremental enjoyment the PSE will add.
    You can always have someone else in the future add a sports exhauset if you want. You don't have to stick with the P dealer. (I mean, it's just an exhaust :-) Okay, the PSE has the electric switch but still - you could get a 3rd party exhauset)
    Your first question should be the time - car now or car + pse later. Second question is if I get the car now, do I really need the exhause later. And if so, which one ?

I've got to tell you the car is a revelation to me. I could have waited until the spring (after the snow) instead of gettign it now and enjoying it for a few weeks before the winter, before putting it away. It cost m emore to get it now, but man am I glad I did !!!

Guys, Thanks for your input.

RC, what I meant is that the dealer wants $2000 on top of what the option costs... the option costs $1900 and the dealer wants about the same money for installation so the option in total from the factory $1900 and dealer orders and installs for around $4000!!!! double what the option costs from the factory and I wouldn't trust their install either. I'll double check and let you guys know - maybe I should go talk to the mechanics at the workshop instead of the sales guy.

RC, how late do you think? If my car would arrive march-april, that's fine with me..

Lovely, just found out from RC's other post than option XPA (thicker steering wheel) is not available which is an option that I ordered. That makes two options unavailable for me XPA & XLF (sports exahust)... Add to that the shortage of the S rims that RC mentioned, and I will get a totally different car from what I wanted or just wait. I guess the wait will be better now so that I won't have regrets later taking a car without the options I wanted. Dealer tells me there might be problems with terecotta as well but I don't see anything about that in RC's list of unavailable options. Appearntly, the suppliers aren't catching up with the hails of the orders falling on Porsche's factory... Porsche, please get your act together and get us our options !!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/16/22 11:50 AM
    BjoernB

572460 1304
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/23/22 1:43 PM
    Rossi
    222054 1179
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/17/22 1:30 AM
    watt
    110840 955
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/1/22 7:14 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    108001 405
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    89147 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31392 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    511579 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    426874 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    423795 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    387126 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    364444 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/13/22 3:48 PM
    Grant
    345276 3536
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    289168 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    137302 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/25/22 7:26 PM
    bluelines
    134286 1388
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    110634 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM