Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Papa's got a brand new bag

nberry:

I hate to be a contrarian but MIke I am not sure this is a wise decision. The car has been sitting unwrapped for almost 5 years. Sitting that long could not be good for the car and it is out of warranty. Its technology is about 10 years old. Porsche will produce the 918 Spyder which is light years ahead in technology and performance and probably will cost you 1/2 of what you paid for the CGT. It also will be limited in production.

Why in the world would you buy this car? 

nick, that is the best part of this. The car was owned technically  by the importers of Porsche for my country. I still get 2 years of warranty no questions asked on the vehicle. So is the only "undelivered" vehicle world wide. The price I paid was also fair, I did quite a bit of negotiating (which took months) as I ordered a Panamera Turbo as well. Plus I hate the idea of having a hybrid (918) Smiley

PS. US only had 2005 CGT and then it stopped because of new safetly regulations being introduced? Rest of world still got 2006 CGT (very few as well). This is one of them!

I must say that is a job well done. You managed a 2 year warranty, price drop and Panamera VIP slot! Can you just say that you are officially my hero.

So how did you find a way to drive it legally in SF? Curious to know what little gap in the lawbooks you uncovered.

cheers,
    Aaron

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Logical, warranty only starts when customer take delivery of a vehicle, so IF someone can manage to find a untitled 1967 Mustang somewhere, that would still be consider a NEW CAR and enjoy a 3 year or however long they give out back then as warranty period.

Mike: if you ever run out of garage space, I am pretty sure myself and a host of others will have no trouble providing spaces for your cars in out garage :)

Mike S:
    nberry:

I hate to be a contrarian but MIke I am not sure this is a wise decision. The car has been sitting unwrapped for almost 5 years. Sitting that long could not be good for the car and it is out of warranty. Its technology is about 10 years old. Porsche will produce the 918 Spyder which is light years ahead in technology and performance and probably will cost you 1/2 of what you paid for the CGT. It also will be limited in production.

Why in the world would you buy this car? 

nick, that is the best part of this. The car was owned technically  by the importers of Porsche for my country. I still get 2 years of warranty no questions asked on the vehicle. So is the only "undelivered" vehicle world wide. The price I paid was also fair, I did quite a bit of negotiating (which took months) as I ordered a Panamera Turbo as well. Plus I hate the idea of having a hybrid (918) Smiley

PS. US only had 2005 CGT and then it stopped because of new safetly regulations being introduced? Rest of world still got 2006 CGT (very few as well). This is one of them!

@nBerry - your rational makes sense, but buying a CGT is purely emotional! And in fact, the car is by far the most emotional Porsche ever!

@Mike - you hate the fact driving a hybrid? Lets talk in two or three years again! Smiley

Whoopsy:

Mike: if you ever run out of garage space, I am pretty sure myself and a host of others will have no trouble providing spaces for your cars in out garage :)

I volunteer Smiley you could expand overseas, It'll be like a Mike S Garage franchise.

Mike, 

Congrats on the CGT  I agree with most others when they say to keep it wrapped and don't drive it, but also get a "used" CGT as well to drive. Having the only virgin CGT in the world would be amazing. I wonder what it would go for 25 years from now...not that you would need the money 

I also volunteer to be your West Coast US garage storage guy. 

--

05' C4S

Mike,

Congrats on the ONLY VIRGINE CGT left on the entire World

Too many toys to play, now on these days

Enjoy it in a good health; either as a piece of art or ultimate driving machine.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW (On ORDER)

09 Audi TTS Coupe / 07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Many congrats Mike.. Enjoy it as much as I do

--

Atzporsche:

So how did you find a way to drive it legally in SF? Curious to know what little gap in the lawbooks you uncovered.

Aaron - I very much doubt Mike is likely to let this cat out of the bag...Smiley

My guess is he (or his lawyers) found a loophole which will remain a guarded secret until he needs to use it...if ever!

Making it public would give the "Lawmakers" an opportunity to close it.... that would be plain stupid.

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Congratulations Mike - very well done.

I would love to own a CGT - and I envy you once again.  As I understand it, this car is practically an unrivaled experience on wheels, and comparing it to the latest 911 specs and concluding that it is outdated technology or the victim of supassed specifications now overpriced is missing the whole point.

Why do some upgrade exhaust systems for more pleasurable sound?  Why do some covet 959's or 993TTS's for beauty, style, quality of ownership, and driving experience?

When you can own enough wonderful cars that you have to decide which one to spend time with, you look for a vehicle that exudes experience, not one that yeilds the best numbers, the lowest lap time, or best $/HP ratio.

The CGT will long be fantasy on wheels.

John H:
    Atzporsche:

Aaron - I very much doubt Mike is likely to let this cat out of the bag...Smiley

My guess is he (or his lawyers) found a loophole which will remain a guarded secret until he needs to use it...if ever!

Making it public would give the "Lawmakers" an opportunity to close it.... that would be plain stupid.

It was worth a shot, im really interested still Smiley

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

I know I know.

He is going to slap on a Alabama plate and pretend he is a tourist from 'bama.

Amazing piece of art you got there, congrats Smiley

J.Seven

Mike! Here's something to satisfy your new hobby of buying old cars new.

BMW is selling a brand new CSL, RHD. Smiley

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/252931/new_bmw_m3_csl_for_sale.html

Thanks Porker, I'll save myself the time and effort to import this beauty. I don't have space anymore, so I will have to park the idea until next year. Don't even have space for the Carrera GT as it is

Mike, any nice shots of the GT yet? We're all going mad with anticipation! At least, I am!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Whoops, forgot to update. Only pic as of now.

Ehy... its home Looking great. Whats on top of that rear rim center ?

Did you drive it or did they trailer it to you? How is it? We need facts!

Just - with that set cover it looks a bit "Arab" (no offense - but they really keep the seat cover on top as long as they can to show it is new).

Fantastic!

Lars997:

Ehy... its home Looking great. Whats on top of that rear rim center ?

Did you drive it or did they trailer it to you? How is it? We need facts!

Just - with that set cover it looks a bit "Arab" (no offense - but they really keep the seat cover on top as long as they can to show it is new).

Lars,

I don't see anything on top of the rear rim?

Car is sent via flatbed truck. Car basically has 10 mileage on it Smiley

It has not been even PDI'd yet - I haven't decided if I want to leave it in this state or not.

Hence why the covers are still on, those are still the "disposable" seat covers the car came with when it left Zuffenhausen 4 years ago.

Plastic cover is still on the gauges Smiley

Leave it as it is !!! Its far more impressive and WAY more meaningful ... I mean, just my 2cents 

I talked about this part - looks like a reflection:

rearrim.jpg

Mike, do me a favour.......drive the heck out of it

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

that's the security spring i suppose

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Mike, if I would be you, I guess I would not drive that car either. Its kind of classic having a virgin GT in the garage. On the other hand side - you only live once! An option would be, get a second one, one to drive and one for the records!

If you don't drive it, it will fall apart on you. You wouldn't want that, would you?

Lars997:

On the other hand side - you only live once! An option would be, get a second one, one to drive and one for the records!

I support that. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

a car is only that when you actually drive it. i doubt that any of todays cars will be classics in the future. too many features that will provide too many problems that will be unfixble s they will become obsolete.

what we now consider collectibles are bre metal cars with very simple tech.

--

intouch1:

a car is only that when you actually drive it. i doubt that any of todays cars will be classics in the future. too many features that will provide too many problems that will be unfixble s they will become obsolete.

+1

--

993 Targa Black/Black

Rossi:
    Lars997:

On the other hand side - you only live once! An option would be, get a second one, one to drive and one for the records!

I support that. Smiley

+1, and by the way, congratulations Mike!!!! Smiley

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

628476 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 8/6/22 1:00 AM
    W8MM
    264062 1183
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 10/2/22 12:14 AM
    watt
    158959 1176
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/30/22 10:36 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    149822 418
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/5/22 2:19 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    132532 577
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    67405 1
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 10/5/22 3:56 AM
    BONES
    3080 21
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM