Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Re: SL65 AMG

    You wish...

    The 65 series cars have exceeded AMG's highest sales expectations, AMG has said it may not be able to deliver and fulfil all 65 orders. The SLR as you all know is sold out for another 2 years, with orders now being given 2006/7 build/delivery. And the Maybach has outsold the RR Phantom 2:1 600 vs 300 cars sold.

    BMW/Audi are quaking in their boots, you'd better believe it.

    Re: SL65 AMG

    In Antwort auf:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    And the Maybach has outsold the RR Phantom 2:1 600 vs 300 cars sold.



    Sorry to correct you, promised Maybach sales have just been adjusted downwards by DC (as well as those of RR), especially in the US. DC planned to sell 1000 Maybach this year, so far they sold 38. Seems as if customers are no longer willing to spend a fortune on that type of car...

    Re: SL65 AMG

    In Antwort auf:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    And the Maybach has outsold the RR Phantom 2:1 600 vs 300 cars sold.



    Sorry to correct you, promised Maybach sales have just been adjusted downwards by DC (as well as those of RR), especially in the US. DC planned to sell 1000 Maybach this year, so far they sold 38. Seems as if customers are no longer willing to spend a fortune on that type of car...

    Re: SL65 AMG

    Some opportunist politicians in the US are trying to resurrect the early 70s here due to high gas prices by reintroducing lower speed limits and you know the next targets will be heavy high powered cars that get 10 mpg . Manufacturers are politically sensitive wimps and you can bet all the " fun " cars will be extincted asap if they sniff that negative publicity is encroaching on their vaunted brand images. The next 2 years will be interesting, since dramatic rise in car sales in India and China has a two edged sword- massive sales for established makers but more world pollution and skyrocketing oil demand worldwide leading to higher fuel prices. Hasn't gas broken the $6/gallon mark in UK now for first time?

    Re: SL65 AMG

    Some opportunist politicians in the US are trying to resurrect the early 70s here due to high gas prices by reintroducing lower speed limits and you know the next targets will be heavy high powered cars that get 10 mpg . Manufacturers are politically sensitive wimps and you can bet all the " fun " cars will be extincted asap if they sniff that negative publicity is encroaching on their vaunted brand images. The next 2 years will be interesting, since dramatic rise in car sales in India and China has a two edged sword- massive sales for established makers but more world pollution and skyrocketing oil demand worldwide leading to higher fuel prices. Hasn't gas broken the $6/gallon mark in UK now for first time?

    Re: SL65 AMG

    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    rossi said:iAbsolutely right! The SLR is neither fish nor flesh and that's it's problem. Presenting a car like the SL65 might be questionable when you already got cars like the SL55 and SL600



    And to make matter worse it seems McLaren and DC want to create a new brand after their joint venture with the SLR, and build now a car placed (according to them) between the SLR and the SL



    Many have said MBZ is on a hellbent quest to answer a question no one really asked : offering multiple numbers of powerful cars in it's own upper end lineup- each threatening sales from the other with much performance overlapping.
    ( SL55/SL600/SL65/CL55/CL600/CL65/S55/S600/S65 and all these are just 12-18months from their new or updated models ) Then there's the SLR/Maybach/rumored McLaren badged " tweener " car. What are their marketing people smoking ? Talk about brand confusion to the end buyer.
    BMW and Audi should just sit back and watch this cannabilsm runs its natural course.
    It's almost like an overreaction to their failings after buying a low dollar company like Chrysler.



    Agree w/you re: Merc's over-profusion of super-hp models. But BMW is sucking wind w/its 7-series (ugly styling, significant number of lemon cars it has had to repurchase, and horrific resale value). And Audi isn't really a robust competitor to Merc/BMW in status (which is hugely important in this mkt segment w/many buyers who are really buying status/fashion plates). I would argue S55/CL55/SL55 are commuter cars of choice for most high-end commuters in SF/Atherton/LA/NYC/Greenwich....and these AMG/Merc loyalists seem to reliably upgrade to latest AMG offerings for commuter/GT duty.....

    Re: SL65 AMG

    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    rossi said:iAbsolutely right! The SLR is neither fish nor flesh and that's it's problem. Presenting a car like the SL65 might be questionable when you already got cars like the SL55 and SL600



    And to make matter worse it seems McLaren and DC want to create a new brand after their joint venture with the SLR, and build now a car placed (according to them) between the SLR and the SL



    Many have said MBZ is on a hellbent quest to answer a question no one really asked : offering multiple numbers of powerful cars in it's own upper end lineup- each threatening sales from the other with much performance overlapping.
    ( SL55/SL600/SL65/CL55/CL600/CL65/S55/S600/S65 and all these are just 12-18months from their new or updated models ) Then there's the SLR/Maybach/rumored McLaren badged " tweener " car. What are their marketing people smoking ? Talk about brand confusion to the end buyer.
    BMW and Audi should just sit back and watch this cannabilsm runs its natural course.
    It's almost like an overreaction to their failings after buying a low dollar company like Chrysler.



    Agree w/you re: Merc's over-profusion of super-hp models. But BMW is sucking wind w/its 7-series (ugly styling, significant number of lemon cars it has had to repurchase, and horrific resale value). And Audi isn't really a robust competitor to Merc/BMW in status (which is hugely important in this mkt segment w/many buyers who are really buying status/fashion plates). I would argue S55/CL55/SL55 are commuter cars of choice for most high-end commuters in SF/Atherton/LA/NYC/Greenwich....and these AMG/Merc loyalists seem to reliably upgrade to latest AMG offerings for commuter/GT duty.....

    Re: SL65 AMG

    Quote:
    BMW and Audi should just sit back and watch this cannabilsm runs its natural course.



    i completely agree to your statements.

    as UK's evo magazine wrote some months ago: "mercedes benz is in a power race with itself".

    Re: SL65 AMG

    Quote:
    BMW and Audi should just sit back and watch this cannabilsm runs its natural course.



    i completely agree to your statements.

    as UK's evo magazine wrote some months ago: "mercedes benz is in a power race with itself".

    Re: SL65 AMG

    The marketing conundrum I see is this , as an example : someone who has been a loyal SL owner for years already had a dilemma between picking the sporty SL55 or the smooth swift SL 600 at comparable price . Now he thinks the perfect combo ( SL65 ) is available. He calls his dealer and is told the small number of cars is already spoken for. He's pissed off as he wants the " ultimate " SL and dosn't want " second best " in any line. He also questions why he would spend that much for a car that to most of the world looks like the fleets of SLs that are on every street corner in wealthy towns . So for his near $200K price range , he either takes his business to a Bentley or Ferrari GT car , exactly the cars the SL 65 targets or he just keeps his SL 500 and says the hell with it since in his heart he is always an SL person.
    BMW and Audi know they don't have the name cachet to directly compete with those brands and must find it amusing that a company brand that cranks out A -classes and VW Scirocco - looking C coupes wants in that game. And has anyone noticed how far MBZ service has deteriorated since the dealers have become overwhelmed with all the low dollar cars clogging their service lanes ? An SL65 is just another lump of metal that needs fixing - park it next to that beat up 190E ! That's a real nice pampering experience .

    Re: SL65 AMG

    The marketing conundrum I see is this , as an example : someone who has been a loyal SL owner for years already had a dilemma between picking the sporty SL55 or the smooth swift SL 600 at comparable price . Now he thinks the perfect combo ( SL65 ) is available. He calls his dealer and is told the small number of cars is already spoken for. He's pissed off as he wants the " ultimate " SL and dosn't want " second best " in any line. He also questions why he would spend that much for a car that to most of the world looks like the fleets of SLs that are on every street corner in wealthy towns . So for his near $200K price range , he either takes his business to a Bentley or Ferrari GT car , exactly the cars the SL 65 targets or he just keeps his SL 500 and says the hell with it since in his heart he is always an SL person.
    BMW and Audi know they don't have the name cachet to directly compete with those brands and must find it amusing that a company brand that cranks out A -classes and VW Scirocco - looking C coupes wants in that game. And has anyone noticed how far MBZ service has deteriorated since the dealers have become overwhelmed with all the low dollar cars clogging their service lanes ? An SL65 is just another lump of metal that needs fixing - park it next to that beat up 190E ! That's a real nice pampering experience .

    Re: SL65 AMG

    Quote:
    MKW said:
    The marketing conundrum I see is this , as an example : someone who has been a loyal SL owner for years already had a dilemma between picking the sporty SL55 or the smooth swift SL 600 at comparable price . Now he thinks the perfect combo ( SL65 ) is available. He calls his dealer and is told the small number of cars is already spoken for. He's pissed off as he wants the " ultimate " SL and dosn't want " second best " in any line. He also questions why he would spend that much for a car that to most of the world looks like the fleets of SLs that are on every street corner in wealthy towns . So for his near $200K price range , he either takes his business to a Bentley or Ferrari GT car , exactly the cars the SL 65 targets or he just keeps his SL 500 and says the hell with it since in his heart he is always an SL person.
    BMW and Audi know they don't have the name cachet to directly compete with those brands and must find it amusing that a company brand that cranks out A -classes and VW Scirocco - looking C coupes wants in that game. And has anyone noticed how far MBZ service has deteriorated since the dealers have become overwhelmed with all the low dollar cars clogging their service lanes ? An SL65 is just another lump of metal that needs fixing - park it next to that beat up 190E ! That's a real nice pampering experience .



    Great points. MB may have problems selling many copies of a $200K commuter car w/a 3 yr old body....I think sweet spot for MB tops out at about $150K, before buyers want elevated status and exclusivity of Ferrari/AM. I suspect many jaded SL55 drivers will be tempted to switch to DB9 and ContiGT....but those are relatively limited production cars (also hard to obtain at MSRP within next 12 mos.) w/potentially more dubious service frequency and cost/lack of dealer infrastructure and current lack of convertible models. Seems to me there may be a shakeout in high-end commuter/GT car mkt in next 1-2 yrs....but unfortunately I suspect all surviving choices will offer dubious reliability/service frequency and costs (don't forget plebeian MB and BMW pay for all svc during warranty life) and poor resale value (after hot first yr or so).

    Re: SL65 AMG

    Quote:
    MKW said:
    The marketing conundrum I see is this , as an example : someone who has been a loyal SL owner for years already had a dilemma between picking the sporty SL55 or the smooth swift SL 600 at comparable price . Now he thinks the perfect combo ( SL65 ) is available. He calls his dealer and is told the small number of cars is already spoken for. He's pissed off as he wants the " ultimate " SL and dosn't want " second best " in any line. He also questions why he would spend that much for a car that to most of the world looks like the fleets of SLs that are on every street corner in wealthy towns . So for his near $200K price range , he either takes his business to a Bentley or Ferrari GT car , exactly the cars the SL 65 targets or he just keeps his SL 500 and says the hell with it since in his heart he is always an SL person.
    BMW and Audi know they don't have the name cachet to directly compete with those brands and must find it amusing that a company brand that cranks out A -classes and VW Scirocco - looking C coupes wants in that game. And has anyone noticed how far MBZ service has deteriorated since the dealers have become overwhelmed with all the low dollar cars clogging their service lanes ? An SL65 is just another lump of metal that needs fixing - park it next to that beat up 190E ! That's a real nice pampering experience .



    Great points. MB may have problems selling many copies of a $200K commuter car w/a 3 yr old body....I think sweet spot for MB tops out at about $150K, before buyers want elevated status and exclusivity of Ferrari/AM. I suspect many jaded SL55 drivers will be tempted to switch to DB9 and ContiGT....but those are relatively limited production cars (also hard to obtain at MSRP within next 12 mos.) w/potentially more dubious service frequency and cost/lack of dealer infrastructure and current lack of convertible models. Seems to me there may be a shakeout in high-end commuter/GT car mkt in next 1-2 yrs....but unfortunately I suspect all surviving choices will offer dubious reliability/service frequency and costs (don't forget plebeian MB and BMW pay for all svc during warranty life) and poor resale value (after hot first yr or so).

    Re: SL65 AMG

    Does anyone know what the SL65 Anniversary Edition adds to the standard SL65? There are supposed to be 50 cars available in with the anniversary package.

    Terry
    04 GT3

    Re: SL65 AMG

    Does anyone know what the SL65 Anniversary Edition adds to the standard SL65? There are supposed to be 50 cars available in with the anniversary package.

    Terry
    04 GT3

    Re: SL65 AMG

    I think it was just the Silver arrow paint scheme, and the carbon fibre interior trim. Silver arrow silver is slightly more whiter than brilliant silver.

    Re: SL65 AMG

    I think it was just the Silver arrow paint scheme, and the carbon fibre interior trim. Silver arrow silver is slightly more whiter than brilliant silver.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    578726 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino
     
     
     
     
     
    357464 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    86126 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/21/21 9:49 AM
    RCA
    44266 340
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35206 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    32879 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/23/21 4:25 AM
    CGX car nut
    15407 314
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4303 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    561837 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 4/13/21 10:04 AM
    996FourEss
    401819 3585
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/13/21 8:01 AM
    BjoernB
    355997 3915
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/27/20 4:06 PM
    Topspeed
    352884 3486
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/5/20 9:55 PM
    DaveGordon
    313295 3242
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    309704 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    216152 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    183698 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    160435 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138015 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 4/22/21 7:35 PM
    blueflame
    113281 2171
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    105670 1225
    McLaren F1 2/25/21 11:33 AM
    RCA
    77110 207
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/16/21 10:24 AM
    rhino
    69980 1154
    AMG AMG GT R 11/19/20 11:47 PM
    Topspeed
    64639 819
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/20/21 3:21 PM
    CGX car nut
    63633 683
    Porsche 991 Speedster 9/3/20 4:29 PM
    Topspeed
    56485 878
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    43023 596
    Others Bugatti Chiron 4/12/21 3:42 PM
    RCA
    36428 476
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    33745 615
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 4/22/21 3:03 PM
    nberry
    28961 433
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 3/21/21 5:01 PM
    Topspeed
    28620 385
    270 items found, displaying 1 to 30.