Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

family car: Maserati Quattdroporte or Cayenne Turb

I am planning to get a family car, looking for a used quattdroporte or cayenne turbo.
    any advice would be appreciated

and whats the difference between automatic and duoselect?? from the website it appears both can be automatic??

Re: family car: Maserati Quattdroporte or Cayenne

Well the Cayenne's transmission is a dedicated automatic, while the Maserati's is a something like a tamed, clutchless manual. It can be put in a fully automatic mode, but while I have never been in one, I've read many reviews saying it's not terribly smooth.

Personally I would get the Quattroporte, I love that car!

Quote:
    AndyM said:
    Well the Cayenne's transmission is a dedicated automatic, while the Maserati's is a something like a tamed, clutchless manual. It can be put in a fully automatic mode, but while I have never been in one, I've read many reviews saying it's not terribly smooth.

IIRC the newer ones have recieved a proper automatic for cruising.

The real difference is the cargo capacity and utility of the cayenne over the Maser.

You can get both six speed auto or the duoselect on the maser. The auto is the better option. But I would buy a Cayenne Turbo over the Maser, or a S63.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    AndyM said:

IIRC the newer ones have recieved a proper automatic for cruising.

The real difference is the cargo capacity and utility of the cayenne over the Maser.

That is true, the '07 models got the automatic, but he said he was looking for a used one, so I kinda jumped to conclusions thinking he'd be buying one older than that.

I would personally get the quattdroporte over the cayenne as far as looks go. However if you live in a place which does have gravel terrain and you do plan to take it off road now and agen then it will obviously be the cayenne though I would still rather consider a 7 seater X5, Touareg or even an SRT8 over a cayenne but thats just me.

Cayenne. Just as fast and more usable.

cayenne is to ugly to ever compeet with a 4-porte

+ the sound ..

Quote:
    Flyer.. said:
    cayenne is to ugly to ever compeet with a 4-porte

+ the sound ..

Well... You only have to see your car when getting in and out of it and when posting pics on Rennteam .

well....2 different way of life.. in my opinion..
    the 4porte has both duoselect and automatic.
    since I've tryed both, the autoamtic is an excellent 6 speed auto just as the best transmission on the market only the dsg is better. the duoselect is more sportier more fun but it is more "hard" if used in every day traffic, parking ..etc.. but I will definitly go for the duo select...much more agressive shifts and faster.

Well... the looks are like comparing art with trash in my opinion..my uncle had a cayenne turbo..he sold it because every rich porkbucther and constructor is travelling in those here in italy!!!! so the 4porte is far more exclusive classy and it really make you want to open the garage door every morning...the cayenne just can give you that emotions!!!
    go for the 4porte..you will love it...

The maserati, no doubt.

Anyone here could tell you that I'm a porsche lover/freak/addict but there's just no reason to buy a cayenne what so ever. There's no point in buying an SUV, period. Il did liked the cayenne, but that was before driving a few of those ugly piece of metal.

The maserati is so beautiful. Not much space at the back for sure, but it's ten times better than a cayenne. It has to be. The ferrari engine, the fast paddle gear box, the low ride, low center of gravity (wich will mean a much better handling than the cayenne), a lot smaller so easier to drive fast. That said, I've never driven one.

And you'll look like those kids from Entourage.
    If not, why not an M5?

Two totally different cars.

The Maserati is small like a sports car and the Cayenne big like a truck.

I think, first of all you should find out what kind of space you require, second which car fits best. I agree on Amazon, I would prefer an M5 over an Maserati.

I agree with Lars, the Masarati and Cayenne are difficult cars to compare however having the ability to take luggage as well as people IMO the Cayenne wins no doubt (both having tones of power). The 08 CT looks a lot better than the old one as well, ok no Maserati looks though.

I have been challenged several times by my Porsche dealer why I opted to order the MY08 CT and not to go for a GT3 or 911 turbo. Let me tell you, I have thought about this now for a couple of months and each time I take my family to the shops, restaurant, camping or even just on my tod to do some diy or going to the garden center, the 911 would have been a real'pain' (to use the word). Yes the CT is not a sports car as such but the power is immense and combine this with the ability to move things around (not meaning my new toilet bag), I think the choice is a no brainer.

My previous boss has one of the old Quatroports and I sincirely hope the new once is better as he had problems almost every week, not to mention the 25min it took to heat up the engine oil.

Best regards,

Mark

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    I agree with Lars, the Masarati and Cayenne are difficult cars to compare however having the ability to take luggage as well as people IMO the Cayenne wins no doubt (both having tones of power). The 08 CT looks a lot better than the old one as well, ok no Maserati looks though.

I have been challenged several times by my Porsche dealer why I opted to order the MY08 CT and not to go for a GT3 or 911 turbo. Let me tell you, I have thought about this now for a couple of months and each time I take my family to the shops, restaurant, camping or even just on my tod to do some diy or going to the garden center, the 911 would have been a real'pain' (to use the word). Yes the CT is not a sports car as such but the power is immense and combine this with the ability to move things around (not meaning my new toilet bag), I think the choice is a no brainer.

My previous boss has one of the old Quatroports and I sincirely hope the new once is better as he had problems almost every week, not to mention the 25min it took to heat up the engine oil.

Best regards,

Mark

I think a sportscar as the carrera or GT3 is only rational if you can really get everything out of it. Sure it's fun to cruise around in a sportcar, but it's not practical at all. (it's not built for being practical..)
    That's why a cayenne is such a good in between car, it has enough power, you can cruise around in Drive and you can pick up you children with bagage.
    I know some people who drive their Porsche (carrera's) in the city for 80% of the thime with a speed limit of 50km/h.(Mostly 4s ) Sure it's fun, but those people are mostly shocked
    when they ever come to a circuit and see what their car can do and what it's really made for! Ok, sorry, little OT..

I'd say, go drive them both, you will def prefer one of both and you would make the best choice since they are both magnificant cars !! Good luck!

Having driven both, I would say the Cayenne is the more flexible of the two.

Maserati is so very nice (especially here in D.C. where they're not very common) but the Duo Select tranny is complete rubbish! Go for the automatic if you want to go that route.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/16/22 11:50 AM
    BjoernB

572460 1304
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/23/22 1:43 PM
    Rossi
    222054 1179
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/17/22 1:30 AM
    watt
    110838 955
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/1/22 7:14 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    108001 405
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    89147 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31392 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    511579 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    426871 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    423795 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    387126 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    364444 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/13/22 3:48 PM
    Grant
    345276 3536
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    289168 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    137302 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/25/22 7:26 PM
    bluelines
    134286 1388
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    110634 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM