Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

A launch evening tonight...

A few images from tonight. They are not great as the light was fairly poor. (I took the wrong lens really!)

Turbo

4S

Matching cases would fit all 4 next to each other leaving the width of the boot and a fair bit more room. probably about the same volumn as the 997 has at the front.

--

http://www.phrog.co.uk

Re: A launch evening tonight...

I think the pics are fine Rich.....What were your overall impressions of the Panamera?

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

I really like the Panamera starting at the front, until you get to the rear quarter panels behind the last set of passeger doors...then that's where this car looses it for me.  There's just something about the slope of the rear hatchback that leaves me confused and befuddled.  The interior refinments and appointments look really sharp, but I can't just seemt to get past the rear quarter of the car.  The car starts out so damn sexy from the front ,but ends up with a rather convoluted rear which just looks a bit akward and out of place.

--

2009 Porsche Turbo Cab - Cargraphic exhaust, HRE P40's charcoal

that's some big lettering on the tires....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

Now that you say it... Smiley

... and PCCB looks really small in these big wheels. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    intouch1:

yes but the pccb on the picture are on the rear wheels..

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

John H:

I think the pics are fine Rich.....What were your overall impressions of the Panamera?

The car isn't that bad and not half as offensive as I first thought it would be.  To be fair seeing it in the flesh as it were certainly swayed my initial opinion.  However, without falling into comparing it with the M5, S Class, RS6, Quatoporte and particularly the price difference if you were in the market for a 4 seater then it's certainly becomes an option.

Initially when you see the car from the side you automatically feel compelled to pass comment along the lines of, OMG, it's rather large which really isn't helped by the way the car presents itself, made worse by the way in which the wheels sit within the arches.  It's almost as if Porsche have increased the profile of the tyres to reduce the rather unsporting and utilitarian look.  This is made worse on the S and 4S which had 19" wheels would you believe but the Turbo had a lower profile tyre on 20" rims which certainly helped the aesthetics.  However, as you venture closer the rather hideous look of the rear quarter of the car, all this doesn't become so much of an issue as the sheer size of the car fills your peripheral vision.

The front of the car is actually very nice. Perhaps because it's so 911'esque a shape we have all come to love and the shape of the bonnet is not too dissimilar from the 599 which suits the car well.  The front retains quite a purposeful look and that all too familiar Porsche feel helped by the huge headlights which I suspect will work particularly well.  The rear of the car again takes some getting use to and although I'm not a huge fan of the rather bulbous looks it is growing on me.  If you stand immediately behind the car, the shape isn't particularly appealing but as you venture to a more angled view the cars looks certainly get better.  The rear wing appears a little tacky on first inspection but again, give it 5 minutes and you start to understand why it is the shape/style that it is and how it works in with the car.  Form follows function I suppose, but once again it grows on you.

The inside of the car is particularly well laid out and the ergonomics seems to work pretty well.  The quality of the leather was excellent and if I'm honest I was rather taken by the style of the rear seats. Sitting in the back I had loads of room mind you I'm 5' 10 and of slight build so I find the rear of an Audi TT comfortable.  Having said this a guy who was sat next to me had pleasure in telling me he was 6ft, 16 Stone and he felt perfectly at home.

I'm not a fan of the chrome buttons on the centre console, possibly the worst internal part for me.  They just look like an old design from a Old Nokia mobile phone which was hideous IMO and not very user friendly.  Notwithstanding that, the quality and feel of the interior within the Turbo and the 4S was excellent and the attention to detail was nice to see.  I actually saw some of Audi's traits coming out in this car which is no bad thing at all considering Audi, for me, do the best interiors.

The quality of the 4S (which had £10k of extras) and the Turbo (which had £18k), far exceeded the feel of the standard S.  In fact I didn't even get in the S as for some reason it looked quite plain and uneventful. The way in which Porsche are selling this car and by that I mean showing two cars with all the mod cons and one which was the basic model is certainly going cause any prospective buyer to think hard about the extras.  The vanilla S just looked lonely in the showroom as no-one seemed to pay it much attention and at a list price of circa. £72k I doubt very much you'll see many standard cars out there in the future.

For me, overall the car is perfect for the corporate car park and will not look out of place.  I didn't book a test drive when I heard you could only drive the 4S and S (Smiley) but might do in the future, once they are run in.

Would I have one?  The jury is out on that for now, but it isn't a no. Smiley  However, what I will say is that if I was fortunate enough to be able to have one I'd certainly have to have something else for the weekends.
    --

Shawminator:

I really like the Panamera starting at the front, until you get to the rear quarter panels behind the last set of passeger doors...then that's where this car looses it for me.  There's just something about the slope of the rear hatchback that leaves me confused and befuddled.  The interior refinments and appointments look really sharp, but I can't just seemt to get past the rear quarter of the car.  The car starts out so damn sexy from the front ,but ends up with a rather convoluted rear which just looks a bit akward and out of place.

Agree totally. Smiley

--

intouch1:

It's funny actually.  The tyres for some reason looked like they should be on a £5k car.  Not one Michelin or Pirelli in sight I don't think.

--

andrea:
    Rossi:
    intouch1:

That's exactly right.  I couldn't get a decent picture of the fronts as one side there was a metal stand and the other side of the car had people in the way getting hammered on cheap wine and cheese straws. Smiley

--

andrea:
    Rossi:
    intouch1:

I know, but they still do look small. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Great write-up, Richard.  Your observations echo my own thoughts about the Panamera.  I'm looking forward to actually seeing the car the flesh myself. 

--

2009 Porsche Turbo Cab - Cargraphic exhaust, HRE P40's charcoal

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    741507 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    427139 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    257961 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    252919 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    76796 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5080 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

866237 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    796519 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM