Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

new order

Hi Guys,

Just finalizing my configuration and looking for some inut on what I might be missing ETC.  Attempting to create a sporty car with a luxury / sport interior.

Retail
         911 Carrera  S Cabriolet       997    320                         Price
              BASE   911 Carrera  S Cabriolet                          96,800.00
              A1     Black                                                  0.00
              V9     Cabriolet roof in Black                                0.00
              06     Brown Natural Leather                              5,165.00
              CGA    Headlight Cleaner Cvr Ext.Clr                        225.00
              342    Heated Front Seats                                   500.00
              672    Navigation Module for PCM                          2,110.00
              680    Bose High End Sound Package                        1,440.00
              870    Universal Audio Interface                            440.00
              998    Leather Interior Natural Lthr                          0.00
              446    Wheel Caps with Colored Crest                        185.00
              CDR    Belt Outlet B Pillar Ext Clr                         180.00
              CDZ    Gear Lever Trim in Leather                           260.00
              CMA    Mirror Attachmnt Point Painted                       500.00
              CUV    Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo                        295.00
              CVP    Trim Strip Leather                                   605.00
              P77    Leather Sport Seats                                  440.00
              XMZ    Rear Center Console - Leather                      1,260.00
              XSA    Sport Seat Backs Painted                           1,580.00
              XXZ    Foot Rest Aluminum                                   250.00
              X70    Metal Door Sill Model Insignia                       415.00
              022    Instrument Dials in Black                              0.00
              267    Self Dimming Mirrors                                 420.00
              498    Delete Model Designation                               0.00
              CUX    Release Lever Rear Seats Lthr                        310.00
              XPA    Thicker Steering Wheel-Leather                       255.00
              CMP    Instrument Surround Pntd.Black                       440.00
              XMP    Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror                       560.00
              CFX    Floor Mats With Colored Trim                         525.00
              XTG    Inner Sill Parts/Release-Lthr                        585.00
              CVY    Clothes Hook Backrest Leather                        250.00
                                                       -------------------------
                                          Total with Options $        115,995.00
              DSTCHG Destination Charge                                   950.00
                                               Total Charges $            950.00

Total Order $   

Thanks!!

Re: new order

Sport ChronoPackage Plus

Nice spec.  You've done your homework.

A couple of small things - I'd add the Porsche crest in headrest to go along with the model designation on the console lid.  I think it's a classy touch.  Also, I'm not sure paying for the mirror point to be painted on a black car is worth the money since the standard mirror point color is black anyway.

--

09 Porsche 911 Targa4S - On Order
    02 Porsche 911 Targa - Retired
    08 BMW 550i

wHY???

You say sporty-luxury, but you have only chosen luxury options - what about PSE, LSD, SC+?  Agreed, SC+ on a manual is not that necessary, but with the PSE, it would be a nice 'fun button' to press to change the character of the car!

Incidentally, I see you haven't mentioned bluetooth telephone preparation... 

For me at least:

1st = performance options

2nd = luxury options

3rd = aesthetic options

I don't move onto the next category until I have completely exhausted the previous one smiley00078.gif

--

Click for bigger picture!

Oh, and short shifter is also an essential in the manual!  Incidentally, I've also fitted the rennline adjustable lifter plate and their gas pedal, so now heel-and-toeing is much easier! Smiley

More "sports" options needed I think.  I have not followed the latest developments/options for 997S (i.e. check my accuracy), but Sport Chrono Plus is an absolute must. Also, Mechanically Rear Locking Differential. Another near must-have is Sport Exhaust.

This is controversial (just my opinion), but I think that for non-Turbo engine, an automatic type transmission like PDK masks the lack of torque and makes the car feels subjectively so much quicker, and is necessary for NA 997 engine. So my opinion is, PDK is a great idea and something you might want to consider.

The PASM sports suspension package is also a NO BRAINER, but I see that it's not available for the Cabriolet. Too too bad really. Finally, PCCB if you have the $. But that would make you seriously into $ range of a used Turbo Cab, a tremendous option and one that I would take. 

Congrats and hope this helps. I recently had a long test drive in a automatic convertible 997S and felt deeply in love!Smiley http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20068888/Uh_oh_I_LOVE_the_Automatic_Convertible_Loaner_Car/page1.html

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)

BVB,

I know that a lot of people would say the Sport Chrono is a must (and it probably is if you choose the PDK), but if you're staying with the manual I don't think it is that critical. I have a cab 4s, with X51 and a lot of the same options you picked and I NEVER use the Sport Chrono. It's just a wart.

Your last two options will look worn very quickly.

S/C is a waste of time and money if you're going to be driving stick shift. If you do the occasional track day it will take you a season before you get close to triggering standard PSM intentionally, so the sport setting is superfluous. If you do more track days then the Cab is the bigger question.

Short shifter you can add later if you find the regular shifter too sloppy.

LSD is a waste unless you do lots of track days or commute up and down the Col du Turini.

PSE is fun but produces no power.

Enjoy the debate!

--
    997S Cab Seal Gray

IMO you don't need PSE on a Carrera cabrio. The sound is already very good with the top up or down.

On a coupe, someone might argue that there is some merit for PSE with the DI engines. Although IMO noise for nothing reminds me of some youngsters with Honda Civics and noisy exhausts.

However, some posters have insisted that the PSE adds power and Porsche don't admit it to avoid type approval costs. Any objective evidence to support this theory?

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

I'm assuming BVB is ordering a Porsche because of its sports-car character, and would like to use it as a sports car (thus him not choosing the PDK).  I'm also assuming he is used to owning more mainstream luxury cars like BMW or Mercedes-Benz, which is why he is going for the options he has chosen. 

I wanted him to see that if he chose the sporty options (the reason why he's gone for Porsche and not BMW or MB), he would have better rewards in the longer run.  Maybe he might never track the car, but I can vouch for the fact that making that perfect shift on the redline with the short-shifter, SC+ on sport and the PSE wailing in the background makes having the washer nozzles painted seem totally immaterial!  Fun is the operative word, and that doesn't always come with an increase of power.  The LSD should have been standard in such a car, and would really be useful in wet/icy conditions even if he doesn't track the car. 

Thoroughly enjoying the debate!  Albeit at BVB's expense! 

What this forum does is offer a great release for most of us. We can passionately express our opinions based on personal experience onto what we THINK the other person should really have - it's a form of enthusiastic parenthood.

The beauty of the 911 is that it can be an almost luxury tourer (Jaguar XK, SL550) or hard core sports car (F430 Scuderia, Lotus Exige, Lambo Superleggera, etc.) You spec it to suit. Some people here are hardcore track guys who have cars that are spec'ed for lightness and "tightness". Others are closer to the touring model with more comfort and luxury.

The fun is the debate, not really who is right or wrong. Porsche being smart knows that the icon can stretch and capture a broader cross-section of buying public. They key is buying into the myth that the 911 is still an amazing sports car.

Let the debate continue!

--
    997S Cab Seal Gray

Le Chef:

What this forum does is offer a great release for most of us. We can passionately express our opinions based on personal experience onto what we THINK the other person should really have - it's a form of enthusiastic parenthood.

The beauty of the 911 is that it can be an almost luxury tourer (Jaguar XK, SL550) or hard core sports car (F430 Scuderia, Lotus Exige, Lambo Superleggera, etc.) You spec it to suit. Some people here are hardcore track guys who have cars that are spec'ed for lightness and "tightness". Others are closer to the touring model with more comfort and luxury.

The fun is the debate, not really who is right or wrong. Porsche being smart knows that the icon can stretch and capture a broader cross-section of buying public. They key is buying into the myth that the 911 is still an amazing sports car.

Let the debate continue!

Nicely said.  It's great having a conversation with intelligent people . . .

--

08 BMW 550i

Ditto, Hinkley!!  Le Chef made an excellent point - the 911 is so versatile that whilst I think of it as a sports car, others out there want it as a Luxury Grand Tourer!

But that brings me back to BVB's choice - it is confusing as he has chosen so many luxury options, and at the same time chosen the most sporty 'option' - manual gears!  That's actually what made me want him to look at the more sporty side of the car.  BVB - your input would be immensely useful to make us understand your choice more and speculate about it less!! 

I love the way we are going on about your car as if we are the ones speccing it, not you!  (but enjoying ourselves immensely at the same time!!)

Arshad:

Ditto, Hinkley!!  Le Chef made an excellent point - the 911 is so versatile that whilst I think of it as a sports car, others out there want it as a Luxury Grand Tourer!

But that brings me back to BVB's choice - it is confusing as he has chosen so many luxury options, and at the same time chosen the most sporty 'option' - manual gears!  That's actually what made me want him to look at the more sporty side of the car.  BVB - your input would be immensely useful to make us understand your choice more and speculate about it less!! 

I love the way we are going on about your car as if we are the ones speccing it, not you!  (but enjoying ourselves immensely at the same time!!)

I can't speak for BVB, but I can speak for myself.  I've specced my 09 Targa much as BVB has specced his Cab - I will have a manual transmission as well as a bunch of "luxury" options.  I also specced SC+ and the short-throw shifter and I'll add PSE once it's available.

To me, no 911 is a GT in the mold of the Jag or the Maserati.  All 911s are pure sports cars.  Some people want to track their sports car (and so add items like ceramic brakes), and others want to enjoy their sports car every day as a daily driver (and so add leather interior bits).  I fall into the later category. 

But I don't see this as a contradiction.  Instead, it's what separates the 911 from all of those other cars.  It can be a pure sports car for the track, or a pure sports car for daily driving.  With the possible exception of the AM V8, I think all of the other cars are only one or the other. 

--

08 BMW 550i

Arshad:

But that brings me back to BVB's choice - it is confusing as he has chosen so many luxury options, and at the same time chosen the most sporty 'option' - manual gears!  That's actually what made me want him to look at the more sporty side of the car. 

Manuel has nothing to do with sporty or luxury. You either like to shift or not. Otherwise the Scud would need to be considered a luxury GT Smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Arshad:

But that brings me back to BVB's choice - it is confusing as he has chosen so many luxury options, and at the same time chosen the most sporty 'option' - manual gears!  That's actually what made me want him to look at the more sporty side of the car. 

Manuel has nothing to do with sporty or luxury. You either like to shift or not. Otherwise the Scud would need to be considered a luxury GT Smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Arshad:

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Arshad:

--
    Off enjoying my car...

I'd definitely add S.C. & P.S.E. .............I owned the same car 997 S cab for 2 years & those were my 2 favorite options by far because when you push the S.C. button the car basically transforms itself both in feel & sound. It's almost like 2 different cars when you have those 2 options. Hitting the SC button firms everything up (I know you can do this w/ out it too) & also turns on the PSE so it's like you go from driving a standard Carrera S to something much more aggressive & sporty. And the differences are magnified in a cabrio.  The more aggressive SC throttle mapping makes a big difference in how responsive the car feels. Then you can turn it back w/ a flip of the switch. The PSE in a cab is an absolute MUST have imho. It's intoxicating & how the car should sound stock.  If you're looking for sporty.

I  agree w/ the others you should add the LSD ;) Also agree w/ Short Shifter. Didnt have it on my S cab but do on my Turbo Cab & love it. Finally like Cannaga says: PCCB above all else. It's $ but so worth it imo. 

You have a lot of great options, I picked the thicker wheel for my S cab & Turbo Cab. Great option. I'd remove the paint from the interior though. I have CUX on my Turbo cab & can say it's not really worth $300+. (pic) below I'd put that $ to ECA instead.

And these are just personal preferences but imho

- if you switched the BROWN interior which isnt "sporty" at all to BLACK the car would be bad ass. Just my opinion.

- And imho keep the leather clothes hooks but go w/ leather seat backs, not painted. Do you also get the Alum. seat bottom w/ painted like you do w/ leather seat backs???? 

- Add crests in headrests (especially since it's a cab)

- Remove the trim in leather (let the Alum look show) and add ECA Shifter/E-brake below) The Alum. contrasting on the black leather is so yummmmmm....

tc9.jpg

ECA2.jpg

1229531225094tc4.jpg

1229531225061tc11.jpg

1229531225153PZ7.jpg

1229531225105sb.jpg

1229531225170X988SHIFTKNOB.jpg

rearseatlever.JPG

I just realized your Natural Brown Interior is a $5k option!!!!!  I'd DEFINITELY go w/ black interior & put that money into PCCB's. $5k (for natural brown) plus the $ for painted bits & the $ for leather trim strip gets you PCCB's instead, no brainer.

Also - The black interior already has grey deviated stitching at no charge & it's everywhere you dont have to worry about it being missed somewhere.

The Red brakes were the only thing I disliked about my S cab, to be honest I freakin HATED them. Go PCCB's & Go Black on Black! But good luck on whatever you decide!!!!!!!!!

Come over to the darkside Luke!

F1130.JPG

1229534835664F12.jpg

--

2008 Porsche Turbo Cabriolet / 2006 Ferrari F430 / 2004 Durango Hemi / 2004 HD Screamin Eagle / 1993 HD Nostalgia

NBL is worth it in terms of improved quality of leather, and durability. The standard leathers are painted, as opposed to dyed, and scuff over time and look very tatty.

I personally don't see the value in PCCB's. as they don't reduce braking distances. They may reduce fade, but as I don't track often it's a non issue.

The aluminum brake handle and gear shifter look great but in the Midwest they're a bad choice. In winter they're too cold and in summer too hot. Look for the cf versions to avoid that problem.

--
    997S Cab Seal Gray

Le Chef:

NBL is worth it in terms of improved quality of leather, and durability. The standard leathers are painted, as opposed to dyed, and scuff over time and look very tatty.

I personally don't see the value in PCCB's. as they don't reduce braking distances. They may reduce fade, but as I don't track often it's a non issue.

The aluminum brake handle and gear shifter look great but in the Midwest they're a bad choice. In winter they're too cold and in summer too hot. Look for the cf versions to avoid that problem.

--
    997S Cab Seal Gray

First off if you don't track the benefit of probably never needing to change brake rotors is a big "value". It will actually cost LESS to maintain PCCB's over time than steel. I did the math a couple of years back you don’t re-coupe the $9k for the cost of the option but over 5 years it's possible to spend $2-$3k less for PCCB's maintainence.   Un-Sprung weight half that of steel is another.  Almost zero brake dust compared to steel is another. W/ reds you get so much crud & dirty nasty stuff dumped into the wheels especially when washing. Not only that but all that nasty stuff ruins the look of your calipers over time. And there's also the look of rust all over the iron rotor & assembly. Just in time spent cleaning a car's wheels/calipers w/ iron the PCCB's are worth it. It took me longer to clean the wheels/calipers and around then it did the whole car when I had steel brakes. Royal PITA. Of course this is not a big one but the discs also look cooler.  But the biggest one is brake feel & performance. Short test drives don’t cut it unless you have lived w/ PCCB's it's hard to explain their worth. As far as having natural leather or PCCB's it's a no brainer imho.  It's a PORSCHE after-all.   

RE: ECA - NY basically the same Hot/Cold weather as Midwest. W/ my Turbo cab w/ top down in summer it's absolutely no big deal in terms of how hot it gets & not any hotter than the standard shifter. In the really cold also no biggy whatsoever.  Honestly cant even remember ever feeling like it was hot at all, but maybe that's just me. The CF shifter you mention has just as much Alum (if not more) as ECA. Even the stock Turbo shifter is mostly Alum. so there's really no difference there.      

--

Hinkley what you've done makes lots of sense to me, and is not confusing or contradictory at all!!  (i.e. gone for the SC+ short-shifter & plan to go for the PSE).  I was trying to say that since BVB has gone for the manual option, why not go for the options which really make the manual car shine, like you have!  

Le Chef:

--
    997S Cab Seal Gray

While it's true that stopping distances are the same and Big Red is a great brake system, the key to PCCB are reduced unsprung weight (objective) and that critical initial bite (subjective, possibly objective).

I once had a long discussion in a PCCB thread on rennlist's GT3 forum. The person who answered my questions tests brake for living, he is NOT a proponent of PCCB, stating repeatedly something to the effect that after-market big iron like Brembo is a better solution. In the end, he agreed to 2 advantages of PCCB vs. Big Red:

1. Reduced unsprung weight, 35 lbs, a significant amount at a critical place. This provides advantages in ride, handling, and acceleration. While it's debatable whether a particular driver could feel the difference, the known advantages of reduced unsprung weight are irrefutable.
    2. The subjective feel and  the initial bite.

Other advantages of PCCB:
    3. Little known fact: PCCB actually has BIGGER front rotor than big red. You are paying for both PCCB *and* bigger brake.
    4. Less fade with repeated braking.
    5. Rotor lasts longer in street use. PCCB's reliability record has been impeccable, AFAIK, for the streets.
    6. Pretty to some Smiley.
    7. No brake dust.

Undecided buyer should pay attention to comments from PCCB owners and owners who have both Big Red & PCCB in their (multiple) Porsche's, eg Stradale: Unanimous or near unanimous in favor of PCCB.
    I recently had a long term test drive, at "good" speed Smiley and over 4 days (in other words a real test, not one around the block) in a 997S with Big Red. Compared to my Turbo with PCCB, there is a significant difference in the feel and initial bite of PCCB that I think is a must-try once in a lifetime, if budget permits and if you don't track.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805703 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449105 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266740 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90296 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6952 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886690 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835392 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM