Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tips for sale

Quote:
    AUM said:
    http://www.mobile.de/SIDuamflQnnS9Ha3reJ...mp;doSearch.y=3

There are only a few things wrong with the registration dates. For example one car 04/06.
    Btw: there was only one Tiptronic launch car in Germany. This is why I asked you WHERE you have driven Tiptronic before July 10th. Again...you can PM me, still don't have an answer.

RC, Where are all of the Tips?

Quote:
    drbf said:

In Germany, only aprox. 209 launch cars have gone to dealers. Customer non-launch cars haven't been delivered yet to my knowledge. So yes, the question is: where do the Tips come from? The answer is: I don't know. Maybe some of the offers are just offers to "catch" people, like it happened to a friend in 2000 when he wanted one of the first Turbos to join my happiness. He called several offers and he heard incredible stories, some actually trying to sell him the "old" 993 Turbo because it is better, cheaper, etc. etc. Bottom line: I would be careful with such offers until I have the chance to see the car live in front of me. After the factory holiday, things will change and a few cars will be available at dealers. Even now there are a few cars available but apparently they're in the Porsche system and not available for "outsiders" yet. Of course I'm talking about Germany and MANUAL cars.

RC, Here in the USA we call that Bait and Switch. Thanks for the explanation.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    drbf said:

In Germany, only aprox. 209 launch cars have gone to dealers. Customer non-launch cars haven't been delivered yet to my knowledge. So yes, the question is: where do the Tips come from? The answer is: I don't know. Maybe some of the offers are just offers to "catch" people, like it happened to a friend in 2000 when he wanted one of the first Turbos to join my happiness. He called several offers and he heard incredible stories, some actually trying to sell him the "old" 993 Turbo because it is better, cheaper, etc. etc. Bottom line: I would be careful with such offers until I have the chance to see the car live in front of me. After the factory holiday, things will change and a few cars will be available at dealers. Even now there are a few cars available but apparently they're in the Porsche system and not available for "outsiders" yet. Of course I'm talking about Germany and MANUAL cars.

Very intriguing....why the shortage of Tips? Does MB lim no. of boxes they'll sell to P? The conspiracy theorists would argue P wants to max Tip sales to max profits....

Have several colleagues in SF and NYC who are first on their dealers' lists and have spec'd July-build Tips...interesting that Tip starvation seems to be a global problem for an allegedly profit-maximizing co. like P.....

Ironically, hearing (from some of the same early US 997TT Tip buyers) that F is shipping many of early 599s into US, loaded w/F-1, CCM, racing seats, cf everywhere, luggage, etc etc (roughly $50K in options) as F is apparently also hesistant to elevate 599 base price, but wants to maximize profits by forcing loaded cars into mkt, esp for early buyers....capitalism at work....

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:
    http://www.mobile.de/SIDuamflQnnS9Ha3reJ...mp;doSearch.y=3

There are only a few things wrong with the registration dates. For example one car 04/06.
    Btw: there was only one Tiptronic launch car in Germany. This is why I asked you WHERE you have driven Tiptronic before July 10th. Again...you can PM me, still don't have an answer.

Are you sure? Last saturday I have seen one here in Pforzheim also with Tip and I will drive that car this or next week.

AM

over here in beirut the first batch had 7 tt tip and one manual only

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    Are you sure? Last saturday I have seen one here in Pforzheim also with Tip and I will drive that car this or next week.

AM

Very sure. Pforzheim and Stuttgart are a different story since these two dealers are usually testing a lot of new products (for example PiWiS WLan extension, etc.) for Porsche. Launch cars were manual and a few cars (non-launch) make it do dealers this month before the factory shutdown. Some of them are customer ordered cars, some not.

The Tip I drove was not in Germany and did not have SC. However, I did like the transmission much more than any other Porsche Tip. I am not a manual diehard; performance is the key criteria for me. I want to see the performance of Tip vs manual LSD verified in lap times. If Tip proves faster, all kudos to it. But so far we just have Walter saying Tip is 3 seconds slower despite its acceleration advantage and fast, perfect changes. This means Tip has inferior traction compared to manual LSD. Traction is paramount on the Ring where I drive every week.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    The Tip I drove was not in Germany and did not have SC. However, I did like the transmission much more than any other Porsche Tip.

I am not a manual diehard; performance is the key criteria for me. I want to see the performance of Tip vs manual LSD verified in lap times. If Tip proves faster, all kudos to it.

But so far we just have Walter saying Tip is 3 seconds slower despite its acceleration advantage and fast, perfect changes. This means Tip has inferior traction compared to manual LSD. Traction is paramount on the Ring where I drive every week.

If you can drive like Walter, you'll be faster with manual and LSD, no doubt about it. 3 seconds on a 20 km track.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:
    The Tip I drove was not in Germany and did not have SC. However, I did like the transmission much more than any other Porsche Tip.

I am not a manual diehard; performance is the key criteria for me. I want to see the performance of Tip vs manual LSD verified in lap times. If Tip proves faster, all kudos to it.

But so far we just have Walter saying Tip is 3 seconds slower despite its acceleration advantage and fast, perfect changes. This means Tip has inferior traction compared to manual LSD. Traction is paramount on the Ring where I drive every week.

If you can drive like Walter, you'll be faster with manual and LSD, no doubt about it. 3 seconds on a 20 km track.

I think AUM's argument is that the suspension of the manual version (in the hands of WR) must be good for much more than 3 seconds on the NBR given the better acceleration times of the Tip

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

I think AUM's argument is that the suspension of the manual version (in the hands of WR) must be good for much more than 3 seconds on the NBR given the better acceleration times of the Tip

Yes. The Tip's faster acceleration out of 73 corners during 20 km must add up to quite a few seconds. The real time difference between Tip and manual LSD could be quite high.

Traction is the key to faster lap times and the manual LSD seems to have far superior traction based on what we know. But I still want to see many more track comparisons between Tip and manual LSD before reaching a final conclusion.

Manual tranny will always have an edge if you know the track or the road by heart as you will be able to select the right gear at the right moment without the hesitation that tip can produce. However, on an unfamiliar road or track tip will spare you from selecting the wrong gear therefore will spare you some time. However, as soon as you know each corners and wich gear you need to be in on the track/road, I reckon anyone will be faster (after knowing corners and gears) with a manual/lsd. There is no doubt about it for me.

The bottom line for me is that if you go/do the same road(s) often or do few laps of the track, manual/lsd will always be faster (compare to yourself!) wether you are a profesional driver or not -- what really counts is that you must know what gear you need to select for the next corner. If you know, manual will be faster.

Posted about this back in May. I ordered a tip and when the order was confirmed in May, the dealer said that all tip boxes in the UK had been allocated and I would have to wait until well after the summer shutdown. Because I was so disappointed the dealer called in some special favour (apparently they switched a car to help out the factory or importer a couple of months earlier)and I got a build date of 17th July. Brilliant! I'm taking delivery 1st September as I am away in August and my 996 TT is going to the dealer next week.

I'm really not sure how Porsche allocated the Tip cars worldwide, this really is strange. The US got some Tips, the Middle East almost only Tips and Germany only one. No problem with Tip in Switzerland for example or some other european countries.

I suppose it has to do with dealer pre-orders, internal allocations and the fact that some old 996 Turbo had to go in the upper Porsche management and there was a need for 997 Turbos...with Tip. Well...of course this is only speculation.

Of course I'm talking about launch cars, some "regular" cars with Tip started to make their way to german dealers a few days ago but availability is still very limited until after the factory vacation.

My Tip build date is July 26. So I got in just before the factory vacation, right?

In Hong Kong, the 4 cars which arrived are all Tip (2 demos and 2 customer cars). Also, they are all RHD.

I'm sure. In Asia the percentage of Tiptronic cars is near 95%. Is a GT3 available in China?

Rc will it be easier to order a turbo after the summer brake? My local dealer Wont ever take an order from me, they keep saying its a 2 year waiting time ARRR lol its really driving me nuts

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 1/28/22 12:18 AM
    Pilot

517733 1295
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 1/22/22 9:42 PM
    Enmanuel
    187685 1158
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 1/9/22 7:08 PM
    Wonderbar
    75872 401
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 1/22/22 12:34 AM
    watt
    74227 761
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    56674 531
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    50798 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    14143 29
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    1258 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    478086 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    393750 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/25/21 12:31 AM
    WhoopsyM
    388947 3949
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    354591 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 1/27/22 9:01 PM
    CGX car nut
    325789 2651
    Porsche 992 GT3 1/26/22 4:50 PM
    BiTurbo
    297460 3321
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    257967 1587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    170353 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    121782 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    106094 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 12/22/21 7:10 PM