Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Offroad in Moab

My attraction to engined vehicle started actually with dirt bikes, which I used to ride quite a lot when i was a kid . After 20 years old it drifted to sports bikes and cars . Since then I have not done very much off road , only here and there when the occasion arrises .

I suppose there are others on RT that like to off road .

I just had some of my best drive ever in Moab, Utah . It was just unbelievable, the scenery and the driving , a mix of sand and stone . Epic !!!  Sadly I only had one day to do it  . 

I had the chance to do  the Hell's revenge trail  and the Fins and Things trail . I highly recommend them if you have the possibility . 

here a few pics :

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0550.jpgIMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0578.jpgIMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Re: Offroad in Moab

A few days before we were in Sedona, Arizona , where I also did some off road, but it was not the same intensity at all .

My kids enjoyed it as much as me Smiley

IMG_9866.jpg

IMG_9867.jpg

And we ran across this interesting vehicle !

IMG_9889.jpg

--

Smiley And people ask why I want to move to the US... Smiley

I suppose you had a blast and your kids as well. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Wow, looks amazing! kiss

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Looks great! kiss

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Nice, Eric!  I have several friends who like to go to Moab often, but they only ride mountain bikes there.  I think I would enjoy this sort of thing more kiss

I am going to Utah in a couple weeks to fly model airplanes - there is a cool site that is usually crowded with hangliders and paragliders (good for Joost), but every two years there is a weekend just for RC planes.  Called Point of the Mountain near Salt Lake City:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8K9Pfkn-MQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKFJw7igvc&ab_channel=PaulNaton

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Glad, that there are other offroad and Polaris fans here... :)

Share2015-11-29-fd0beba56eda5a5a5f598166c09c397e6e657d829dfd7acdd8fb265e293f132a-Picture.jpg
    DSC06087.JPG

RC:

To be fair you don't get any of that in Florida, only thing you get is swamp buggies Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:

To be fair you don't get any of that in Florida, only thing you get is swamp buggies Smiley

Well, there are some nice swamp-free locations in Florida as well, only issue would be alligators and poisonous snakes Smiley but if I would live in Florida, I would of course travel to Nevada, Arizona and even Utah pretty often. I liked Utah a lot, very nice people there. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Boyko23:

Glad, that there are other offroad and Polaris fans here... :)

I had never driven any of these Polaris before . My RZR 1000 , two seater, was so much fun to drive Smiley

--

Grant:

Nice, Eric!  I have several friends who like to go to Moab often, but they only ride mountain bikes there.  I think I would enjoy this sort of thing more kiss

I am going to Utah in a couple weeks to fly model airplanes - there is a cool site that is usually crowded with hangliders and paragliders (good for Joost), but every two years there is a weekend just for RC planes.  Called Point of the Mountain near Salt Lake City:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8K9Pfkn-MQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKFJw7igvc&ab_channel=PaulNaton

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Utah was great , I enjoyed it a lot for the outdoor activities. Lake Powel is also great and a perfect place for boats and all the sports that go with . 

The spot you are going to looks also perfect for flying your RC planes . 

--

RC:

My kids got pretty quickly bored when visiting the parks ( they said it was '' just rocks '' , nice 10 min for them, but walking the trails was Smiley ) 

I let them all drive the Polaris . They had loads of fun doing this and could of done it the whole trip . 

--

Gnil:
    RC:

My kids got pretty quickly bored when visiting the parks ( they said it was '' just rocks '' , nice 10 min for them, but walking the trails was Smiley ) 

I'm surprised. Even my nature hating/ignoring kids loved the national parks but maybe your kids are too young (mine were 14 and 11)? Walking (some) trails was fun but pretty exhausting because it was very hot.

I let them all drive the Polaris . They had loads of fun doing this and could of done it the whole trip . 

Well, same thing with my kids but daughter didn't want to drive and the son wanted but our guide(s) didn't allow it, not even for a short time. My wife drove though and scared the sh.t out of us. Smiley Smiley

--

That looks marvellous Eric, really cool!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Gnil:
    Utah was great , I enjoyed it a lot for the outdoor activities. Lake Powel is also great and a perfect place for boats and all the sports that go with.

Yes, I used to go to Lake Powell every year in college - rent a house boat and speed boat with bunch of kids - so much fun!  Even though it's not a natural lake (big dam), it's so interesting and fun Smiley

1471364578677f003d86383.jpg

https://utah.com/lake-powell

I can understand why Europeans like places like Utah so much - there is nothing like this in Europe.  The mountains are great in Colorado (better than most other mountains), but the Swiss Alps are better.  Nothing like Lake Powell on the Continent though...

--

Nice pictures and living in the UAE it is almost a sin not to make use of the desert and drive some off-road. I have to admit that it is very rare that I make use of this. Back in the days I used to ride a bit of MX, purely as a hobby. At first when I lived in Dakar, and then a bit when I moved to Dubai back in 2009.

The red dust from Africa. It was a fantastic playground with everything from huge sand dunes to tracks.

KTM Dakar.jpg

A later picture from Dubai.

KTM Dubai.jpg

kiss

Flotte billeder! 

--

bluelines:

kiss

Flotte billeder! 

Tak Smiley

Not sure they are very nice though, but I promise it was good fun.

Grant:
    Gnil:
    Utah was great , I enjoyed it a lot for the outdoor activities. Lake Powel is also great and a perfect place for boats and all the sports that go with.

Yes, I used to go to Lake Powell every year in college - rent a house boat and speed boat with bunch of kids - so much fun!  Even though it's not a natural lake (big dam), it's so interesting and fun Smiley

I can understand why Europeans like places like Utah so much - there is nothing like this in Europe.  The mountains are great in Colorado (better than most other mountains), but the Swiss Alps are better.  Nothing like Lake Powell on the Continent though...

--

Looks beautiful... Smiley

In Utah, Arizona, Nevada, etc. everything looks very wide and endless. This is what I like most. In Europe, you get this feeling of wideness and endlessness only in certain regions and very seldom. Also, in the US you can do a lot of stuff in nature which is actually forbidden in Europe. In many places over here, even using a bicycle is forbidden... Smiley

This photo has been taken by a friend on his bike tour around Lake Garda (Italy) a couple of days ago...Passo di Tremalzo...so beautiful but motorcycles or any other motorized vehicles are forbidden. Just bicycles. 

IMG_3357.JPG

--

RC:
    Gnil:
    RC:

I'm surprised. Even my nature hating/ignoring kids loved the national parks but maybe your kids are too young (mine were 14 and 11)? Walking (some) trails was fun but pretty exhausting because it was very hot.

Well, same thing with my kids but daughter didn't want to drive and the son wanted but our guide(s) didn't allow it, not even for a short time. My wife drove though and scared the sh.t out of us. Smiley Smiley

My kids are 10, 12 and nearly 14 .  They walk a lot here in the mountains .... so maybe on holidays they prefer to do other stuff and your kids probably don't go for long mountains walks back home , so for them it was something new and different ?  Smiley  . It was very hot , but that was not a problem .   It wasn't as bad as it sounds, they did like some of it, but like I said, a short while was enough for them and they were impressed by the scenery .

They just hoped they could chase Pokemons in those places Smiley

We did not have guides when off roading with the Polaris . All by ourselves with instruction given by the renting company and maps showing us nice trails . ( otherwise it would of been impossible that they drive as you had to be 18 ) 

My wife did not come . She is not into that kind of stuff. Way too boring for her Smiley

--

tso:

Nice pictures and living in the UAE it is almost a sin not to make use of the desert and drive some off-road. I have to admit that it is very rare that I make use of this. Back in the days I used to ride a bit of MX, purely as a hobby. At first when I lived in Dakar, and then a bit when I moved to Dubai back in 2009.

The red dust from Africa. It was a fantastic playground with everything from huge sand dunes to tracks.

KTM Dakar.jpg

A later picture from Dubai.

KTM Dubai.jpg

In europe we do miss these big open spaces ! That must of been fun, even if driving in the sand is pretty tough on a bike ! Smiley

--

Awesome pics Gnil !! sure looks like a lot of fun ! 

RC:
    Grant:
    Gnil:

--

Looks beautiful... Smiley

In Utah, Arizona, Nevada, etc. everything looks very wide and endless. This is what I like most. In Europe, you get this feeling of wideness and endlessness only in certain regions and very seldom. Also, in the US you can do a lot of stuff in nature which is actually forbidden in Europe. In many places over here, even using a bicycle is forbidden... Smiley

This photo has been taken by a friend on his bike tour around Lake Garda (Italy) a couple of days ago...Passo di Tremalzo...so beautiful but motorcycles or any other motorized vehicles are forbidden. Just bicycles. 

IMG_3357.JPG

That hits the nail on that head. I loved Lake Powell, the USA and Canada have so much unsoiled nature and beauty. That's why I immigrated. Just last weekend I hiked up Garibaldi Lake, 2 hrs from the city... 

Smiley

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Beautiful! kiss

--

Gnil:
    RC:
    Gnil:
    My kids are 10, 12 and nearly 14 .  They walk a lot here in the mountains .... so maybe on holidays they prefer to do other stuff and your kids probably don't go for long mountains walks back home , so for them it was something new and different ?  Smiley  . It was very hot , but that was not a problem .   It wasn't as bad as it sounds, they did like some of it, but like I said, a short while was enough for them and they were impressed by the scenery .

Very possible... Smiley

They just hoped they could chase Pokemons in those places Smiley

My kids got bored of Pokemons fast but they have so much other software/media to consume, probably too much to choose from. Smiley Once school vacation ends, the fun ends as well because they are not permitted to use their gaming systems/tablets/etc. during school. Only my daughter is an exception, she can watch videos because she is very disciplined and it helps her with her language skills (she only watches stuff in English and now even some Telenovelas in Spanish because she has Abitur (Swiss "Matura") in spoken English and Spanish. My son is different, if you leave him playing games, you'll find him there the next morning as well. Smiley So he needs a firm hand... Smiley

We did not have guides when off roading with the Polaris . All by ourselves with instruction given by the renting company and maps showing us nice trails . ( otherwise it would of been impossible that they drive as you had to be 18 ) 

This sounds wonderful. We did a similar thing in Utah (near Bryce Canyon) and we chose a tour with a guide because everyone told us that we are going to see things which we couldn't without guide (he had access to certain parts which were closed for the regular public). Very true, we did some pretty crazy stuff, incl. going through rivers Smiley (and we got pretty wet) but we also saw many animals next to us, including a whole deer family with their small ones, pretty impressive.

My wife did not come . She is not into that kind of stuff. Way too boring for her Smiley

Seriously? My wife craves for this kind of stuff, sometimes she is willing to take more risk than I do but probably because she isn't aware of the dangers. When she drove (we had a Polaris as well...), she jumped full speed through a dip and I think not only that Polaris jumped a meter or more into the air, we did as well (luckily, we had helmets because we hit our heads). Pretty much the scariest moment of my vacation at that time. I even have a short video (maybe I find the time to post it). 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805189 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449035 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266673 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90284 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6928 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886542 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835284 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM