Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    An article in the June 2005 issue of Excellence magazine states the following:

    "There's another audio category in which American buyers benefit and open cars owners get even more. Because of this country's relaxed exhaust-noise standards, United States buyers get the loudest exhausts of any 997. "The exhaust sound is even more aggressive with the Cabrio because of the open cabin" says Bernd Kahnau (Project manager for 997) with a broad grin. "We wanted our customers to really be able to hear the engine."

    I know that I thought my 997S cab was quite loud. I was wondering why anyone would want the PSE. My car can already wake the neighbors. With the top down the exhaust note is pretty loud when going through the gears. At cruising speeds it is pretty tame. At take off it makes a grunt sound as you tap the gas. It causes heads to turn.

    Phil

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    IMO the "S" exhaust sounds quite good.

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    An article in the June 2005 issue of Excellence magazine states the following:

    "There's another audio category in which American buyers benefit and open cars owners get even more. Because of this country's relaxed exhaust-noise standards, United States buyers get the loudest exhausts of any 997. "The exhaust sound is even more aggressive with the Cabrio because of the open cabin" says Bernd Kahnau (Project manager for 997) with a broad grin. "We wanted our customers to really be able to hear the engine."

    I know that I thought my 997S cab was quite loud. I was wondering why anyone would want the PSE. My car can already wake the neighbors. With the top down the exhaust note is pretty loud when going through the gears. At cruising speeds it is pretty tame. At take off it makes a grunt sound as you tap the gas. It causes heads to turn.

    Phil


    Phil, I believe this. When I hear the video clips from Europe STD exhaust, it sounds nowhere close to my Cab-S. How is your car? Any long trips?

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Quote:
    silverrules said Phil, I believe this. When I hear the video clips from Europe STD exhaust, it sounds nowhere close to my Cab-S. How is your car? Any long trips?



    No long trips yet. We went on a shopping trip this weekend but I was afraid if we bought some of the things we were seeking they wouldn't fit in the car. So, we took my wife's car. As it turns out what we bought would have easily fit in the Porsche. It pained me when I looked around at all the other convertibles around us (it was a nice warm day). You just don't get the same effect with a sunroof.

    The Porsche should get some use this weekend if not before. Are you enjoying yours??

    Phil

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    "The exhaust sound is even more aggressive with the Cabrio because of the open cabin," says Bernd Kahnau (Project manager for 997) with a broad grin."



    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said Phil, I believe this. When I hear the video clips from Europe STD exhaust, it sounds nowhere close to my Cab-S. How is your car? Any long trips?



    No long trips yet. We went on a shopping trip this weekend but I was afraid if we bought some of the things we were seeking they wouldn't fit in the car. So, we took my wife's car. As it turns out what we bought would have easily fit in the Porsche. It pained me when I looked around at all the other convertibles around us (it was a nice warm day). You just don't get the same effect with a sunroof.

    The Porsche should get some use this weekend if not before. Are you enjoying yours??

    Phil


    Phil, quick report.
    I having a blast and been all over and put on 200 miles and heading to Tahoe this weekend. Should be a awesome drive through the winding road.The only problem is 4.2K RPM limit and not having the radar. I have yet to drive the car top up. Sound is absolutely amazing with top down. Can't wait to get passed 2K miles. I pushed it to 5K RPM once as I could not help myself. I have yet to drive my other cars. Have fun now.

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    I believe it, my S is very loud compared to my other cars. I love it!

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    For those of us with USA 997 cabs, do you think the exhaust note is loud enough? Too loud? Do you feel a need for the PSE?

    Phil

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    For those of us with USA 997 cabs, do you think the exhaust note is loud enough? Too loud? Do you feel a need for the PSE?


    Phil



    I tend to like louder sounding exhausts in my SPORTS cars. I'm waiting for the report from RC. If there is a solution to the on-off at certain mph thing then imo it's worth putting on. If not I wouldn't do it. It shuts off at 30mph and goes back on at 55mph. That would mean shutting OFF exactly where you would want it ON when taking off from a dead stop while accelerating. And going back and forth between on and off frequently while driving on parkway/highways (USA anyway). Hopefully there is an easy solution (bet there is) that doesn't screw around with the cars electronics badly.

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Quote:
    STRADALE said
    I tend to like louder sounding exhausts in my SPORTS cars. I'm waiting for the report from RC. If there is a solution to the on-off at certain mph thing then imo it's worth putting on. If not I wouldn't do it. It shuts off at 30mph and goes back on at 55mph. That would mean shutting OFF exactly where you would want it ON when taking off from a dead stop while accelerating. And going back and forth between on and off frequently while driving on parkway/highways (USA anyway). Hopefully there is an easy solution (bet there is) that doesn't screw around with the cars electronics badly.



    You may find that your 997S will be loud enough. I was surprised how loud mine is. When I hear the recordings of the PSE system it sounds like my car. If Porsche says that the USA cars already are louder than the ROW cars, would the PSE make them louder? Is there a USA version of the PSE? Or are the USA cars already as loud as the PSE ROW cars?

    Some food for thought.....

    Phil

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said
    I tend to like louder sounding exhausts in my SPORTS cars. I'm waiting for the report from RC. If there is a solution to the on-off at certain mph thing then imo it's worth putting on. If not I wouldn't do it. It shuts off at 30mph and goes back on at 55mph. That would mean shutting OFF exactly where you would want it ON when taking off from a dead stop while accelerating. And going back and forth between on and off frequently while driving on parkway/highways (USA anyway). Hopefully there is an easy solution (bet there is) that doesn't screw around with the cars electronics badly.



    You may find that your 997S will be loud enough. I was surprised how loud mine is. When I hear the recordings of the PSE system it sounds like my car. If Porsche says that the USA cars already are louder than the ROW cars, would the PSE make them louder? Is there a USA version of the PSE? Or are the USA cars already as loud as the PSE ROW cars?

    Some food for thought.....

    Phil



    Phil,

    At first I was going to ask who was the source for the comment :
    "United States buyers get the loudest exhausts of any 997"

    but now I see it is the "Project manager for 997"......VERY INTERESTING.

    I read your post fast and didn't realize it was from an official source... Well, that's very GOOD NEWS...Wonder why it was never published before ? Or was it ?

    I thought I was already getting every magazine possible. What is "Excellence magazine" ? When I bought my 996TT I used to get a free magazine for about a year. Is Excellence magazine that rag ?


    Hmmm. I wonder if that was why I was somewhat dissapointed in the sound vid of the PSE that I heard today. Sounded kinda subdued compared to the 997S's that I've heard. The PSE in that vid actually sounded more like the stock 997 to me. .

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Excellence is a "Porsches only" magazine published in California. You were thinking of Christophorus, the Porsche factory magazine......

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    An article in the June 2005 issue of Excellence magazine states the following:

    "There's another audio category in which American buyers benefit and open cars owners get even more. Because of this country's relaxed exhaust-noise standards, United States buyers get the loudest exhausts of any 997. "The exhaust sound is even more aggressive with the Cabrio because of the open cabin" says Bernd Kahnau (Project manager for 997) with a broad grin. "We wanted our customers to really be able to hear the engine."

    I know that I thought my 997S cab was quite loud. I was wondering why anyone would want the PSE. My car can already wake the neighbors. With the top down the exhaust note is pretty loud when going through the gears. At cruising speeds it is pretty tame. At take off it makes a grunt sound as you tap the gas. It causes heads to turn.

    Phil



    Phil, I'm not really sure about Mr. Kahnau's claim.
    There are three different motronic versions (as far as I remember ROW, USA and Japan) but to my knowledge there is only one exhaust system. I'll check on it when I find some time but maybe somebody with access to the parts system could just check how many muffler/manifold versions there are available. I'm pretty curious too.

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Excellence is a "Porsches only" magazine published in California. You were thinking of Christophorus, the Porsche factory magazine......



    That's the one I was thinking of "Christophorus"..

    Thanks Phil.
    Just bought a 9 issues/12 months "Excellence" subscription for $23.00 from Amazon. Hopefully that is an okay price.

    Later on.................

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Quote:
    STRADALE said
    That's the one I was thinking of "Christophorus"..

    Thanks Phil.
    Just bought a 9 issues/12 months "Excellence" subscription for $23.00 from Amazon. Hopefully that is an okay price.
    Later on.................


    You did good....their regular prices are $23 (9 iss), $40 (18 iss) or $56 (27 iss). It is a great magazine. You can check them out at www.excellence-mag.com. You can read the entire article about cabriolets including the part about the USA having louder exhaust by visiting their site.

    Phil

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Phil,
    I'm going to do that.
    Funny thing. I get home from the office and there's the July issue of "Sports Car International" waiting for me. I was psyched to see the cover page with a review of the Ferrari 430 Spider but there's also a review of the 997 cabs. Listen to this:

    "Where's the Carrrera blasts you down the road with significant punch, the Carrera S imposes that little bit of extra g-force on you when you nail the throttle. But what also makes the difference is the sound of this bigger motor when driving in anger. The Carrera makes that typical typical deep 911 flat-6 growl, rising in volume with the rev's. The S's engine note is quite different, taking on an urgent, higher pitched race car -like scream from 4000 rpm. Porsche engineers say they tuned both the Cabriolet exhaust systems to produce even more appealing soundtracks, but they have truly outdone themselves with the sound of the Carrera S in full battle cry."

    I was thinking about getting the PSE right away but who knows. Between the comment you posted earlier about US cars getting louder exhausts than the rest of the world and comments like this I'll probably wait. Who knows,, the PSE may be the same level of sound as the US cars w/ out PSE. From the 997's I've heard compared to the vid. I heard of the PSE it sounds that way to me. If not, being louder may actually take away from some of the 'engineers tuning' .

    Also from "Sports Car International":

    "According to Porsche, the 997 has pushed Carrera sales up 85 percent over the same period in the previous year. In terms of hard numbers , that is 9600 new Carrera's sold between September last year and the end of January 2005, a figure Porsche has never achieved before in such a short time with any model"............The really excellent new Cabriloet, which traditionally accounts for between 35 and 40 percent of 911 sales, can only lengthen the lines at Porsche dealerships around the world."

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Wow! That's a GREAT article.

    What's really interesting is the way in which the point is made about US cars getting louder exhausts. They are talking about the real differences in the height of the wing in the cab vs. the coupe. And the difference in the stereo of the cab vs. the coupe. Then they mention
    "another audio category in which American buyers benefit"

    ************************************************************

    "The subtly higher wing is not the only effect that top-down Porsche drivers may (or may not) notice. As with the 996, the stereo system's volume increases or lowers as road speed varies. But that's just the beginning. Now, no matter how a driver adjusts graphic equalization and the front-rear speaker balance on the 997's standard Bose audio system, an open roof prompts the system to reconfigure the entire mix. Front-rear balance moves forward by roughly nine inches and the system elevates bass and treble levels.

    There's another audio category in which American buyers benefit and open-car owners get even more. Because of this country's relaxed exhaust-noise standards, United States buyers get the loudest exhausts of any 997. "The exhaust sound is even more aggressive with the Cabrio because of the open cabin." says Bernd Kahnau with a broad grin. "We wanted our customers to really be able to hear the engine." On the road in Spain, the sound was familiar music to our ears. Whether in hard acceleration onto Spain's Autovias or expressways, or in a (naive) pedal-flat-to-the-floor attempt to follow Röhrl, the engine and exhaust sounds reminded some members of the press of the air-cooled 993 more than a water-cooled 996, this one included. Bernd Kahnau knew the sound and explained the reason: "Our exhaust engineers? They are our Mozarts..."

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    btw Phil,
    I got "RAGGTOPP" delivered today. If you don't already have it I read on one of the RENNTEAM forums it's great for convertible tops. One of the things I really liked (especially for black canvas tops) is "UV Protection with UV Stabilizers".

    Here ya go: http://www.autogeek.net/rapr.html

    http://www.autogeek.net/rafaca.html

    Also got "National Treasure" in the mail today from Blockbuster online. Gotta love the internet. Good night

    Re: USA 997's have louder exhaust systems than ROW cars

    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I got "RAGGTOPP" delivered today. If you don't already have it I read on one of the RENNTEAM forums it's great for convertible tops. One of the things I really liked (especially for black canvas tops) is "UV Protection with UV Stabilizers".





    I already have Porsche Cabrio Top Protectant. You can check it out at: http://www.carcareonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=11603

    Phil

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    606761 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino
     
     
     
     
     
    377658 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 6/8/21 7:15 PM
    JR-550
    89384 1087
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/12/21 3:30 PM
    WhoopsyM
    47043 344
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    36286 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    34158 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 6/16/21 6:24 AM
    GnilM
    18729 389
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    5157 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    575367 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    431153 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    368578 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 5/27/21 6:14 PM
    Topspeed
    368429 3495
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    330118 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    311544 2646
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    241762 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    232609 1542
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    162607 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138919 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 6/17/21 4:23 PM
    Joost
    135662 2596
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    111109 1225
    McLaren F1 2/25/21 11:33 AM
    RCA
    77833 207
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 5/19/21 5:19 PM
    Leawood911
    75697 1167
    AMG AMG GT R 11/19/20 11:47 PM
    Topspeed
    66103 819
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/20/21 3:21 PM
    CGX car nut
    65224 683
    Porsche 991 Speedster 9/3/20 4:29 PM
    Topspeed
    61234 878
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    45661 596
    Others Bugatti Chiron 6/9/21 6:51 AM
    Jean
    37658 479
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    34697 615
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 5/30/21 9:51 PM
    waiting for PDK
    33985 522
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 3/21/21 5:01 PM
    Topspeed
    29343 385
    270 items found, displaying 1 to 30.