Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Pulled the trigger

    Stories you read about...

    Today:
    3pm: went to the AM dealer to check the new Vantage Roadster, turns out they didn't have one. But they had coupe. Nice cars and great experience. Saw A 997TT in slate grey that was amazing also, almost looking good next to AM cars...

    3.30pm we leave.

    3.45pm, we decide to go back to test drive an AMV8, handling not as sharp as my 996 C4, but close. The sound though...

    4pm: handing my credit card for a deposit on an 08 AMV8 roadster, sound of the car I just drove still resonating in my head. Sep build, Oct delivery.

    Spec sheet still blank, all input appreciated

    PS: my perfect car would probably be a 9977TT cab with PDK, unfortunately still a couple of years away, the AM will fill in nicely while waiting even if our baby girl won't fit in the two seater. The DB9 Volante I tried a while ago was a huge disappointement in handling. Bentley GTC is way too heavy. F above MSRP is against my principles.
    Last question to solve: do I keep the 996 C4 cab for the wife to complement her Cayenne TT

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    F above MSRP is against my principles.






    Congrats on the AMV8, a beauty

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Congrats you won't regret your decision.

    Interestingly enough today at my son's t-ball game one of the kids uncle showed up with Vantage coupe in light blue, looked and sound amazing.

    I'm assistant coach and after he pulled up I totally forgot about the freaking game and was just staring at the beauty.

    Believe it or not everyone's head turned and you could hear everybody was saying that's a nice car very European .

    Ever since this morning V8 has been on my mind.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Sci, Congrats on your AM order. You might want to keep the 996C4 just so your wife feels like she has a sports car to use anytime and that also works with a child car seat in the back.

    Ron, kids can get really jaded about cars these days. A lady friend of mine is a substitute teacher in a posh area. One day she asked a 6th grade class what they liked best about coming to school in the morning.

    The first kid said he liked how his dad took him to school every morning in a Bentley. The boy next to him then blurted out "Its only a Bentley and not a real car like a Roll Royce."

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Going to test drive a Mini Cooper S convertible or the wife. Somehow I think she will want to kepp the 911

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Sci, Congrats on your AM order. You might want to keep the 996C4 just so your wife feels like she has a sports car to use anytime and that also works with a child car seat in the back.

    Ron, kids can get really jaded about cars these days. A lady friend of mine is a substitute teacher in a posh area. One day she asked a 6th grade class what they liked best about coming to school in the morning.

    The first kid said he liked how his dad took him to school every morning in a Bentley. The boy next to him then blurted out "Its only a Bentley and not a real car like a Roll Royce."





    These kids won't appreciate anything in their lives . It's sad but funny at the same time.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Sci, Congrats on your AM order. You might want to keep the 996C4 just so your wife feels like she has a sports car to use anytime and that also works with a child car seat in the back.

    Ron, kids can get really jaded about cars these days. A lady friend of mine is a substitute teacher in a posh area. One day she asked a 6th grade class what they liked best about coming to school in the morning.

    The first kid said he liked how his dad took him to school every morning in a Bentley. The boy next to him then blurted out "Its only a Bentley and not a real car like a Roll Royce."





    These kids won't appreciate anything in their lives . It's sad but funny at the same time.



    That's the parents' fault. If their parents have any sanity, they will not leave much of a trust fund to them. Just a house, anything else you earn by yourself. The only way they will ever appreciate anything (even giving them a house might be stretching it).

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Excellent choice. I saw one the other day and it is certainly a gorgeous car and sound to go with it.

    BTW if you wife drives the Mini Cooper she may boot your Porsche cab.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Sci, Congrats on your AM order. You might want to keep the 996C4 just so your wife feels like she has a sports car to use anytime and that also works with a child car seat in the back.

    Ron, kids can get really jaded about cars these days. A lady friend of mine is a substitute teacher in a posh area. One day she asked a 6th grade class what they liked best about coming to school in the morning.

    The first kid said he liked how his dad took him to school every morning in a Bentley. The boy next to him then blurted out "Its only a Bentley and not a real car like a Roll Royce."





    These kids won't appreciate anything in their lives . It's sad but funny at the same time.



    The first kid appreciated being driven to school in a Bentley, and the quote about Bentley not being a real car could've come in any 6th grader around the world. A persons opinions in 6th grade is rarely a good measurement of how people turn out

    And no, I did never say such a thing in 6th grade myself (don't think anyone was dropped off in anything better than a normal BMW 5-series where I went)

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Stories you read about...

    Today:
    3pm: went to the AM dealer to check the new Vantage Roadster, turns out they didn't have one. But they had coupe. Nice cars and great experience. Saw A 997TT in slate grey that was amazing also, almost looking good next to AM cars...

    3.30pm we leave.

    3.45pm, we decide to go back to test drive an AMV8, handling not as sharp as my 996 C4, but close. The sound though...

    4pm: handing my credit card for a deposit on an 08 AMV8 roadster, sound of the car I just drove still resonating in my head. Sep build, Oct delivery.

    Spec sheet still blank, all input appreciated

    PS: my perfect car would probably be a 9977TT cab with PDK, unfortunately still a couple of years away, the AM will fill in nicely while waiting even if our baby girl won't fit in the two seater. The DB9 Volante I tried a while ago was a huge disappointement in handling. Bentley GTC is way too heavy. F above MSRP is against my principles.
    Last question to solve: do I keep the 996 C4 cab for the wife to complement her Cayenne TT



    Congratulations! An absolutely stunning vehicle that I am sure you will cherish. Keep us updated on the process

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Going to test drive a Mini Cooper S convertible or the wife.



    If she's your wife, I hope you've already taken her for a test drive.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Just to show you the commitment of sales guy of AM, he is coming this week to my house so that I can test drive it on my "favorite" roads

    Try that with a P dealer. I am still on a little cloud.

    Process: spec needs to be in 120 days before build date, 3 weeks from now.

    Color and interior: don't know...

    Sportshit gearbox, a must on a cab
    Stone guard
    Xenon
    Bluetooth
    iPod hookup is standard on 08s BTW
    Cruise control (not standard!)
    Sat Nav
    Heated seats
    Memory seats
    Garage door opener/Auto dim mirror

    Undecided: 18 or 19'' wheels
    Alarm upgrade
    Battery conditioner
    First Aid Kit
    Delete Model badging
    Wood upper console (not even sure you can get it)
    Power upgrade from Prodrive (only if factory warranty, but doesn't look like it will work)

    Possible colors: Toro red with sandstorm, or Meteorite silver with some kind of Cocoa/brown int as long as it is not too orange.
    Any input welcome, even crazy.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Going to test drive a Mini Cooper S convertible or the wife.



    If she's your wife, I hope you've already taken her for a test drive.





    Can't fix the original post, this one goes for posterity.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Excellent choice. I saw one the other day and it is certainly a gorgeous car and sound to go with it.

    BTW if you wife drives the Mini Cooper she may boot your Porsche cab.



    You have a cab or coupe? Can't remember. Is it really that nice?

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Congrats John!

    I love the Vantage Roadster as well - wish I could see one in person though.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Sportshit gearbox, a must on a cab




    Elaborate please , why is a sportshit a must ? And more important , what is it ?

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    elysium said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Sci, Congrats on your AM order. You might want to keep the 996C4 just so your wife feels like she has a sports car to use anytime and that also works with a child car seat in the back.

    Ron, kids can get really jaded about cars these days. A lady friend of mine is a substitute teacher in a posh area. One day she asked a 6th grade class what they liked best about coming to school in the morning.

    The first kid said he liked how his dad took him to school every morning in a Bentley. The boy next to him then blurted out "Its only a Bentley and not a real car like a Roll Royce."





    These kids won't appreciate anything in their lives . It's sad but funny at the same time.



    The first kid appreciated being driven to school in a Bentley, and the quote about Bentley not being a real car could've come in any 6th grader around the world. A persons opinions in 6th grade is rarely a good measurement of how people turn out

    And no, I did never say such a thing in 6th grade myself (don't think anyone was dropped off in anything better than a normal BMW 5-series where I went)



    I'm not worried about the kid who said it's not even a Rolls. I'm more worried about the kid who want to impress everyone by saying daddy has a bentley. He'll end up being a snob an thinking his better than anyone else just because he's rich.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Sportshit:

    It is the equivalent of the Ferrari F1 or the Lambo Egear or the BMW SMG box.
    A maunal gearbox automated (unlike the DB9 or Porsche tiptronic that are automatic gearbox with selectable gears).

    I like it on a cab because if you wanted ultimate performance, you would get a coupe with manual. Convertibles are a bit more GT, thus the semi auto gearbox is a must.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Congrats John!

    I love the Vantage Roadster as well - wish I could see one in person though.



    Who's John?

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Just to show you the commitment of sales guy of AM, he is coming this week to my house so that I can test drive it on my "favorite" roads

    Try that with a P dealer. I am still on a little cloud.




    That is cool and should be part of the deal when dropping that kind of dough.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    congrats lol ur neighbours are going to love that exhaust note

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Sportshit:

    It is the equivalent of the Ferrari F1 or the Lambo Egear or the BMW SMG box.
    A maunal gearbox automated (unlike the DB9 or Porsche tiptronic that are automatic gearbox with selectable gears).

    I like it on a cab because if you wanted ultimate performance, you would get a coupe with manual. Convertibles are a bit more GT, thus the semi auto gearbox is a must.


    no, i think what he was saying is that you spelled it sport[beep], not sportshift.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Excellent choice. I saw one the other day and it is certainly a gorgeous car and sound to go with it.

    BTW if you wife drives the Mini Cooper she may boot your Porsche cab.



    You have a cab or coupe? Can't remember. Is it really that nice?



    I have the coupe but the cab is adorable. Driving the Mini is a blast. It does not have the power of your Porsche but will certainly be as fun. Remember the movie "The Italian Job"?

    As far as your AM roadster just about anything looks good on that car. Whatever color choice you make it will look good.

    A word of caution. Clearly the AM is not as nimble as the Porsche but keep in mind your entering a new and different driving experience. What you are getting is first rate styling (a Porsche will disappear if you park your car anywhere near one), performance (not as good as Porsche) with performance sound (substantially better than Porsche) and finally exclusivity (that word can never apply to Porsche).

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Quote:
    AndyM said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Sportshit:

    It is the equivalent of the Ferrari F1 or the Lambo Egear or the BMW SMG box.
    A maunal gearbox automated (unlike the DB9 or Porsche tiptronic that are automatic gearbox with selectable gears).

    I like it on a cab because if you wanted ultimate performance, you would get a coupe with manual. Convertibles are a bit more GT, thus the semi auto gearbox is a must.


    no, i think what he was saying is that you spelled it sport[beep], not sportshift.




    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Silver/Cocoa or Silver/Bordeaux would be an awesome combo!

    I'm not sold on the red myself...

    why did you opt for the stoneguard? Bumpy roads? They don't look so good

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Agree about the red, 19's a must.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    It looks like everyone eventually puts the stoneguards in. My local roads can be messy at times, not too many stones though... It looks better without though.

    19s is definitly on my list.

    I think I'll skip the upgraded audio.

    Color: Toro with black top, hood, mats, steering wheel, sandstorm for the rest. Maybe two tone seats.

    Facia: trying to see if alloy is standard or an option.

    Re: Pulled the trigger

    Sorry to bring back this old topic, but this is the final strech for specs.
    Any comments?

    Roadster Sportshift

    Toro red
    Sahara interior
    Black hood

    Stone guard
    19'' wheels
    Delete model badging

    Powerfold mirrors ?
    Xenon

    Carpet black or sahara?
    Headlining color: can I choose? Anyway it would be sahara or most likely black.

    Bluetooth
    Cruise control
    premium audio?
    Navigation
    Heated seats
    Memory seats
    Garade door opener/Auto dim
    Battery conditionner
    First aid kit?
    iPod hookup

    Facia? Maybe Walnut or Mahogany?

    Also for the stitching right now I am leaning towards coarse sahara to blend with the seats.
    But red might be an idea, maybe too bright though.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805194 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449035 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266674 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90284 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6928 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    886543 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835285 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM
    mcdelaug
    400848 1454
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM
    nberry
    396667 1526
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 12/13/23 2:48 PM
    CGX car nut
    384200 2401
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 7/3/23 12:30 PM
    Porker
    371283 797
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 5/12/24 6:23 PM
    blueflame
    293831 669
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 10/19/23 7:06 PM
    CGX car nut
     
     
     
     
     
    266411 812
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/30/23 6:59 PM
    mcdelaug
    244295 346
    Lotus Lotus Emira 6/25/23 2:53 PM
    Enmanuel
    238808 101
    Others Corvette C8 10/16/23 3:24 PM
    Enmanuel
    222692 488
    Others Gordon Murray - T.50 11/22/23 10:27 AM
    mcdelaug
    173313 387
    Porsche Back to basics - 996 GT3 RS 6/11/23 5:13 PM
    CGX car nut
    145108 144
    BMW M 2024 BMW M3 CS Official Now 12/29/23 9:04 AM
    RCA
    121376 303
    Motor Sp. 2023 Formula One 12/19/23 5:38 AM
    WhoopsyM
    112592 685
    Porsche 2022 992 Safari Model 3/7/24 4:22 PM
    WhoopsyM
    85878 239
    AMG Mercedes-Benz W124 500E aka Porsche typ 2758 2/23/24 10:03 PM
    blueflame
    76167 297
    Porsche 992 GT3 RS 3/3/24 7:22 PM
    WhoopsyM
    55132 314
    Motor Sp. Porsche 963 5/18/24 9:44 PM
    Wonderbar
    26858 249
    Ferrari Ferrari 296 GTB (830PS, Hybrid V6) 1/21/24 4:29 PM
    GT-Boy
    21870 103
    BMW M 2022 BMW M5 CS 4/8/24 1:43 PM
    Ferdie
    20422 140
    AMG G63 sold out 9/15/23 7:38 PM
    Nico997
    17221 120
    AMG [2022] Mercedes-AMG SL 4/23/24 1:24 PM
    RCA
    14688 225
    Motor Sp. 24-Hour race Nürburgring 2018 5/25/23 10:42 PM
    Grant
    11661 55
    Porsche Porsche Mission X Hypercar 12/3/23 8:52 AM
    996FourEss
    11210 63
    123 items found, displaying 1 to 30.