Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    My allroad goes back to Audi at the beginning of October and I haven't got a clue as to what to replace it with.

    I don't want to spend more than $50K. I also don't particularly want an SUV, like a Q7, Cayenne or any of the lumbering domestic dinosaurs.

    I want something smaller than the allroad as we just don't need the space for just two of us. Ideally it would have height adjustable suspension to get both good handling on road, but also the ability to go down rutted tracks to visit friends and family who live beyond the Borders, 5-cellphone bars, and Starbucks belts of civilization.

    Any clues or suggestions?

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    Tough one....If no SUV and smaller than the Audi, I can only think of Subarus!

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    yep, sounds like the forester is your only option is the forester
    http://www.subaru.com/shop/model_consideration.jsp?model=FORESTER

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    Volvo has a X country model no?

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    indeed
    http://www.volvocars.us/models/xc70/

    I'd get a new allroad if I were you :-)

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    I had a similar dilema. Needed a wagon for light offroad and Lake Tahoe winters. Didn't want an end of model Allroad so went with the Subie Outback. Not as luxo or comfy as the German sport wagons (which sit too low for a big Tahoe dump anyway) but gets the job done. Pretty good for the money and probably more reliable. And you can put the money you saved towards you Turbo or GT3 purchase

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    I had a similar requirement Le Chef. After a bit of research I went for the Subaru Tribeca B9 (I know you're not too keen on SUV's but...)with nav, dvd, the works. I'm really happy with it and so far...touch wood no problems. BTW, the front is a bit manky but the car drives great and is very safe.

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    I just replaced my A6 wagon last year.; I also didn't want the EOL Allroad, and my wife already had an E500 sedan so I didn't want another E. I made the mistake of getting an RX400H. Now, it's a great car, but it's not a drivers car. I really miss the Audi. MB is no longer offering the E wagon in the USA (according to their web site).

    Other choices:

    Audi A4 Avant
    BMW 325xi - Base is 34,600, you can probably fit nicely for 50k.

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    I don't know how much they are in the U.S. but how about a MB C-class wagon with 4-Matic? You don't have hight adjustable suspension but maybe it can be orderd with extra ground clearance, like the E wagon can (or at least could).
    I drove a C wagon with 4-Matic two winters ago and fell in love with the car. Superb. And surprisingly fun to play with in the snow.

    Happy hunting!

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    You could always buy my wife's 01 AR. She decided that she wanted a commuter car, so I ordered her a Honda Civic Hybrid. The AR will be on the market in October.

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    My allroad goes back to Audi at the beginning of October and I haven't got a clue as to what to replace it with.

    I don't want to spend more than $50K. I also don't particularly want an SUV, like a Q7, Cayenne or any of the lumbering domestic dinosaurs.

    I want something smaller than the allroad as we just don't need the space for just two of us. Ideally it would have height adjustable suspension to get both good handling on road, but also the ability to go down rutted tracks to visit friends and family who live beyond the Borders, 5-cellphone bars, and Starbucks belts of civilization.

    Any clues or suggestions?



    Look into the new S3

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    My allroad goes back to Audi at the beginning of October and I haven't got a clue as to what to replace it with.

    I don't want to spend more than $50K. I also don't particularly want an SUV, like a Q7, Cayenne or any of the lumbering domestic dinosaurs.

    I want something smaller than the allroad as we just don't need the space for just two of us. Ideally it would have height adjustable suspension to get both good handling on road, but also the ability to go down rutted tracks to visit friends and family who live beyond the Borders, 5-cellphone bars, and Starbucks belts of civilization.

    Any clues or suggestions?



    I have an Audi Allroad too, and it was in for service this past week , when it was there they gave me an S3 , incredible little wagon, fast and fun to drive, give it a try you'll be surprised.
    997S coupe
    Audi Allroad 2.7
    Volkswagen Beetle turbo.

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    My allroad goes back to Audi at the beginning of October and I haven't got a clue as to what to replace it with.

    I don't want to spend more than $50K. I also don't particularly want an SUV, like a Q7, Cayenne or any of the lumbering domestic dinosaurs.

    I want something smaller than the allroad as we just don't need the space for just two of us. Ideally it would have height adjustable suspension to get both good handling on road, but also the ability to go down rutted tracks to visit friends and family who live beyond the Borders, 5-cellphone bars, and Starbucks belts of civilization.

    Any clues or suggestions?



    easy answer: get an X3! it drives like a car (unlike the X5), and has just got a facelift with great new engines (3liter 272 hp). go for a test ride, you'll love to drive it!

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    Sounds like you need an AMC Eagle...

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    All kidding aside, I'd buy a Subie WRX (one of those new limited versions that don't have the wacky spoilers) and have some fun driving, way before I'd go the cute-ute route.

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    All kidding aside, I'd buy a Subie WRX (one of those new limited versions that don't have the wacky spoilers) and have some fun driving, way before I'd go the cute-ute route.



    I second that. Main problem of that car is petrol consumption, but in the US, not really an issue.
    Also consider the Legacy Outback or the Forester, but bear in mind the latter is rather ugly, but a great handling SUV.

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    Quote:
    get an X3! it drives like a car (unlike the X5), and has just got a facelift with great new engines (3liter 272 hp). go for a test ride, you'll love to drive it!



    Sadly in US ours still come with "only" 225hp.

    A former neighbor had an X5 4.8iS which was fantastic, but a good $20K north of what I want to spend...

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    I own an x3 and x5, both are nice x3 is more like a car the x5 is more like a truck but the x5 is definatly nicer and quicker.

    Re: OT: Substitute for Audi allroad?

    Quote:
    turbolite said:
    easy answer: get an X3! it drives like a car (unlike the X5), and has just got a facelift with great new engines (3liter 272 hp). go for a test ride, you'll love to drive it!



    turbolite is right, X3 is a great substitute for an Allroad.
    Just a bit female touch but road feeling and handling is excellent

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    690331 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 1/29/23 2:19 AM
    watt
    322878 1192
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 1/26/23 4:09 PM
    W8MM
    221671 1340
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 1/28/23 3:45 AM
    Spyderidol
    206321 465
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/6/22 12:37 AM
    WhoopsyM
    187645 580
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/20/23 10:57 PM
    Pilot
    133025 58
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 11/30/22 2:30 PM
    GnilM
    58450 68
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    524169 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/25/22 1:02 AM
    CGX car nut
    483781 2663
    Porsche 992 GT3 1/31/23 2:38 PM
    RCA
    479153 3798
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 1/21/23 3:51 PM
    CGX car nut
    234192 1491
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/30/22 6:31 PM
    Grant
    232220 774
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    202208 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    198339 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 1/31/23 2:42 PM
    WhoopsyM
    197040 2046
    Porsche GT4RS 12/30/22 1:28 AM
    JAMS
    192565 1194
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    165132 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    162182 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    158288 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    144840 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 1/3/23 10:08 PM
    blueflame
    141950 509
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    139650 593
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    138691 443
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    137158 722
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 1/13/23 3:57 PM
    Leawood911
    129531 1572
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    108506 640
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    107353 335
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 10/24/22 7:42 AM
    RCA
    105137 402
    Ferrari Wandered to the dark side 8/29/22 9:35 AM
    BiTurbo
    80318 418
    Ferrari Ferrari Roma 4/18/22 4:33 PM
    watt
    32649 438
    166 items found, displaying 1 to 30.