Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Montezemolo decided to REDUCE the number

reginos:

There is no substitute for the personal touch in business.

Personal touch is very important to me and this is why I buy Porsche cars. My dealership is owned by a family, I always talk to the owner directly and if I'm not happy with him, I talk to Porsche directly at the highest level (and believe it or not, they talk to me too, something I have never encountered with any other car company). This personal contact makes me love the brand and I wish Porsche would understand that this personal contact is extremely important to other customers too. Yes, Porsche wants the dealers to deal with customers, which is only fair but sometimes the dealer just doesn't cut it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

Personal touch is very important to me and this is why I buy Porsche cars. My dealership is owned by a family, I always talk to the owner directly and if I'm not happy with him, I talk to Porsche directly at the highest level (and believe it or not, they talk to me too, something I have never encountered with any other car company). This personal contact makes me love the brand and I wish Porsche would understand that this personal contact is extremely important to other customers too. Yes, Porsche wants the dealers to deal with customers, which is only fair but sometimes the dealer just doesn't cut it. Smiley

RC, do Porsche a favour - when you are next talking to your contact in Porsche "at the highest level" please mention to him that some of their UK dealers do the brand no favours.....Smiley

You have my full permission to give him my contact details!!

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Can we cut the bullshit here regarding Porsche owners preferring it to Ferrari?

I would wager that if offered a new 991TT or 458 for the same price over 90% would take the Ferrari. Reginos, which would you take?

--

The new 991 Turbo S is in fact the same price as a 458, so hopefully for Porsche's sake you are wrong.

nberry:

I would wager that if offered a new 991TT or 458 for the same price over 90% would take the Ferrari. Reginos, which would you take?

You didn't ask me Nick but a definite yes from me - but I will qualify that by saying that our Porsche is not a daily drive, a Ferrari would not be suitable for daily use IMO Smiley

--

nberry:

My honest reply: The Porsche Turbo S of course. I would even consider an Audi V10 Plus if I liked dramatic looks.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth Smiley

However, I'd be very tempted for a F12 Berlinetta.

--

"Form follows function"

palenimbus:

The new 991 Turbo S is in fact the same price as a 458, so hopefully for Porsche's sake you are wrong.

Isn't the Ferrari in the 230.000 EUR range?

--

"Form follows function"

I've never really seriously enquired about the price of a 458 myself, but Rossi confirmed on the other thread that both the base price and the real price of the Turbo S and the 458 are the same.

Couple of thing you need to keep in mind. The 458 is a DD car. Also, maintenance and reliability is no longer the serious issue it once was with previous Ferrari's. Today, most Ferrari cost about the same to maintain as does a Porsche. But more importantly, the 458 is about 5 times as much fun to drive as a TT. The only downside is the attention the 458 generates.

FWIW, buying a 991TT in the US will cost $145,000. Buying a 458 around $235,000.

--

Well said. however the base price of a TTS in the US is $181k

nberry:

Couple of thing you need to keep in mind. The 458 is a DD car. Also, maintenance and reliability is no longer the serious issue it once was with previous Ferrari's. Today, most Ferrari cost about the same to maintain as does a Porsche. But more importantly, the 458 is about 5 times as much fun to drive as a TT. The only downside is the attention the 458 generates.

FWIW, buying a 991TT in the US will cost $145,000. Buying a 458 around $235,000.

Two points: 

The 458 is very conspicuous for daily driving, both in the visual and the aural sense.  Even in affluent countries, if driven as a regural automobile it will create social resentment. Therefore, the effort  Ferrari made to make it as drivable as possible is very commendable but in a sense redundant. As a track car it should also be very costly.

I agree that the Ferrari is more exciting in the sensory department, if this what someone likes. But in the Turbo S the driver has his satisfaction and fulfillment  as the  Porsche takes everything in its stride whatever is  thrown at it, weather or road wise. Two different approaches and two different kinds of enjoyment. No one is wrong in what he prefers most. 

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Two points: 

The 458 is very conspicuous for daily driving, both in the visual and the aural sense.  Even in affluent countries, if driven as a regural automobile it will create social resentment. Therefore, the effort  Ferrari made to make it as drivable as possible is very commendable but in a sense redundant. As a track car it should also be very costly.

I can "get away" with turning up at work in my 997 (bearing in mind that to non enthusiasts a 911 is a 911 no matter what the model is) but if I arrived at work and parked up in a Ferrari - even an F430, let alone a 458 it would be an altogether different response.........Smiley

I accept that Ferrari are a lot better built then they used to be but I still don't see one as a practical daily drive.

--

Is it me or has this thread become duplicated? Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    reginos:

Two points: 

I can "get away" with turning up at work in my 997 (bearing in mind that to non enthusiasts a 911 is a 911 no matter what the model is) but if I arrived at work and parked up in a Ferrari - even an F430, let alone a 458 it would be an altogether different response.........Smiley

I accept that Ferrari are a lot better built then they used to be but I still don't see one as a practical daily drive.

I agree on the attention front. However, the FF is a genuine (if expensive) daily drive.

crayphile:

However, the FF is a genuine (if expensive) daily drive.

Ferrari here in the UK now come with a four year warranty - one year longer than Porsche - and with seven years maintenance now included in the price maybe even running costs may be closer than they once were....Smiley Once you've got over the initial purchase price of course Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    crayphile:

Ferrari here in the UK now come with a four year warranty - one year longer than Porsche - and with seven years maintenance now included in the price maybe even running costs may be closer than they once were....Smiley Once you've got over the initial purchase price of course Smiley

Recall that the biggest cost of ownership is depreciation and that is Epic Smiley with the FF.

crayphile:
    dreamcar:
    crayphile:

Recall that the biggest cost of ownership is depreciation and that is Epic Smiley with the FF.

I'm not a great admirer of the FF looks like a shed to me... Smiley "My" Ferrari would have to be a 458 although I could tolerate a California Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    crayphile:

Do you mean that all breakdowns and faults are covered for 4 years plus for 7 years you don't pay for anything except fuel? 

So straightforward? 

On the Porsche I pay 1.000 EUR for factory warranty (up to 9 years) and a minimal amount for the annual service. The biggest cost  is tyres but I get them at good prices on line from Germany delivered to my door.

--

"Form follows function"

dreamcar:

Do you mean that all breakdowns and faults are covered for 4 years plus for 7 years you don't pay for anything except fuel? 

So straightforward? 

Yes  - that is pretty much it

The general public views Porsche as being an expensive sport car. When they see a Porsche and Ferrari they have no idea that there is a substantially cost difference between the two. They view them equally expensive.

BTW, who started the second thread and why?

--

nberry:

BTW, who started the second thread and why?

I guess another Rennteam "glitch" ..........Smiley Smiley

--

nberry:

Nick. following your logic, there should be tons of Ferrari owners in Germany and for example Italy (the home of Ferrari) but surprisingly, people buy more Porsche.

Btw: I would buy the 991 Turbo S over the 458 (even the upcoming facelift) anytime. 

Reasons? Ferrari is too flashy, next Ferrari dealership (and repair shop) would be 70 km from my home, reliability (all Ferrari owners I know personally were having some sort of trouble with their cars), social environment (even the 991 Turbo S is going to be an issue, Ferrari would be overkill) and last but not least, Ferrari has crappy lease offers. Also, the German IRS "recognizes" Porsche as a business car without any major issues, a Ferrari is always a problem, unless you run a multi-million business. There are so many reasons NOT to go for a Ferrari over here, even for the same price of a Porsche.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    nberry:

Nick. following your logic, there should be tons of Ferrari owners in Germany and for example Italy (the home of Ferrari) but surprisingly, people buy more Porsche.

Btw: I would buy the 991 Turbo S over the 458 (even the upcoming facelift) anytime. 

Reasons? Ferrari is too flashy, next Ferrari dealership (and repair shop) would be 60 km from my home, reliability (all Ferrari owners I know personally were having some sort of trouble with their cars), social environment (even the 991 Turbo S is going to be an issue, Ferrari would be overkill) and last but not least, Ferrari has crappy lease offers. Also, the German IRS "recognizes" Porsche as a business car without any major issues, a Ferrari is always a problem, unless you run a multi-million business. There are so many reasons NOT to go for a Ferrari over here, even for the same price of a Porsche.

Some of the reasons you state are universal and apply everywhere.

I cannot understand why Ferrari owners and even fans, think that if someone chooses any other car over a Ferrari this is solely due to lack of funds. In reality, the buying decision could be based on numerous other reasons, including personal taste and preference.There are super rich who buy 911 and people of more limited means who borrow to buy a (usually pre-owned) Ferrari.

I was reading an on the road comparison from EVO, between R8 V10 Plus, 458 and MP4 and the writers owned up to the fact that the Audi has nothing to be jealous compared to the other two. Actually, it would be their car of choice and its only "deficiency" is its badge.

Preconceived ideas Smiley

Personally, if I were more €€ comfortable, the cars I'd consider would be either  the new Turbo S or the Audi. I wouldn't look elsewhere.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    palenimbus:

458 italia prices start from 168K Euro (without VAT) in Germany. My car has 20K Euro (again without VAT) worth of extra options which covers, IMO everything for me.

The list price of 991 Turbo S 164.000 Euro (without VAT) which covers almost every needed option. The prices are too close that 5% price difference won't effect the decision. The real question is what you want for your money? They are totally 2 different cars which perform similar. 

If I want something special, something more exotic, Ferrari would be my choice. If I want everyday usability with brand prestige and service support 991 Turbo S would be my choice. IMO, Mclaren Mp4-12C falls short in each category. It is neither exotic/special nor real everyday car. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:
    reginos:
    palenimbus:

458 italia prices start from 168K Euro (without VAT) in Germany. My car has 20K Euro (again without VAT) worth of extra options which covers, IMO everything for me.

The list price of 991 Turbo S 164.000 Euro (without VAT) which covers almost every needed option. The prices are too close that 5% price difference won't effect the decision. The real question is what you want for your money? They are totally 2 different cars which perform similar. 

If I want something special, something more exotic, Ferrari would be my choice. If I want everyday usability with brand prestige and service support 991 Turbo S would be my choice. IMO, Mclaren Mp4-12C falls short in each category. It is neither exotic/special nor real everyday car. 

Thank you for the clarification about price wink

Good comparative points. How do you rate the SLS in this company?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    nberry:

Two points: 

I agree that the Ferrari is more exciting in the sensory department, if this what someone likes. But in the Turbo S the driver has his satisfaction and fulfillment  as the  Porsche takes everything in its stride whatever is  thrown at it, weather or road wise. Two different approaches and two different kinds of enjoyment. No one is wrong in what he prefers most. 

The best thing about modern Ferraris are they don't brake often. It is possible to use it daily because it doesn't consume much, doesn't brake often, clutch and ceramic rotors last lifetime, yearly maintenance is free. All of this encourage people to use it more often; not use it everyday. I tracked my 458 5 times so far which means approx. 450 track km and I drive my car hard at the track. I did 2000 km trip (well almost) with it and drove it 6 continues hours without stopping except for fuel. The car had no glitch (knock on the wood) I'm on my 3rd set of tires after 5500 km and need a new set, I'm on my 2nd set of front brake pads but that's it. I remember old 360 Modena which cannot do 4 consecutive laps @ İstanbul Park.

However, all of these don't mean you can make your 458 an everyday car. In theory, it can be used but it is still not a Porsche in that sense. Also, most Ferrari owners don't buy their cars to drive everyday. I buy my 458 to treat it special. Keep it in the garage and see it every morning before I go to work, under its red indoor-cover. I drive it when I'm relaxed and doesn't think something else. These cars are for those occasions. I'm happy to see that Ferrari has come this far. If the built and mechanical quality was like 360, I couldn't track it or wouldn't make a 2000 km trip while worrying about when it would brake down. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

dreamcar:

A 2000 model 360 Modena with a tubi exhaust attracts more attention than 2014 991 Turbo S.

I'm not saying this as a good or bad thing. But this is the hard fact about Ferrari. period.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

reginos:
    dreamcar:
    crayphile:

So straightforward? 

On the Porsche I pay 1.000 EUR for factory warranty (up to 9 years) and a minimal amount for the annual service. The biggest cost  is tyres but I get them at good prices on line from Germany delivered to my door.

--

"Form follows function"

Reginos,

You also pay for the brake pads Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

reginos:

Some of the reasons you state are universal and apply everywhere.

I cannot understand why Ferrari owners and even fans, think that if someone chooses any other car over a Ferrari this is solely due to lack of funds. In reality, the buying decision could be based on numerous other reasons, including personal taste and preference.There are super rich who buy 911 and people of more limited means who borrow to buy a (usually pre-owned) Ferrari.

I was reading an on the road comparison from EVO, between R8 V10 Plus, 458 and MP4 and the writers owned up to the fact that the Audi has nothing to be jealous compared to the other two. Actually, it would be their car of choice and its only "deficiency" is its badge.

Preconceived ideas Smiley

Personally, if I were more €€ comfortable, the cars I'd consider would be either  the new Turbo S or the Audi. I wouldn't look elsewhere.

--

"Form follows function"

I have 6 friends who own Ferraris (355, 360, Scuderia, 599, 458 etc.) None of them think (me including) 911 is a lesser car in terms of funds. 911 is only a different approach to sports car and it is not exotic.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

reginos:
    pride355:
    reginos:
    palenimbus:

Thank you for the clarification about price wink

Good comparative points. How do you rate the SLS in this company?

SLS? hımmm... I think that car belongs to Rich multi-car garage owners who have many different cars. If you ask me, SLS is neither a real sports car nor everyday car, like Mclaren. It is for people who want to separate from the crowd or for people who can afford all.  

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    576756 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

356780 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    85940 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/17/21 9:15 PM
    Pilot
    43547 332
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35075 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    32702 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/21 6:06 AM
    BjoernB
    15047 306
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4136 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    561117 5257
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/20/20 8:24 AM
    schmoell
    533445 4260
    Porsche Cayman GT4 4/13/21 10:04 AM
    996FourEss
    401032 3585
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/13/21 8:01 AM
    BjoernB
    355488 3915
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/27/20 4:06 PM
    Topspeed
    352345 3486
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/5/20 9:55 PM
    DaveGordon
    312562 3242
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    309581 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    215463 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    182508 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    160275 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    137964 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 4/17/21 3:59 PM