Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Link: test drove a 997TT yesterday

Hi guys, as a C2S driver, I went for a test drive of a 997TT partly out of curiosity and partly because I was wondering whether I ought to be thinking about trading up to a 997TT.

I'm really interested to read your views given that so many of you have now been driving the majestic 997TT for some time now and some of you have even made the same move from a 997 C2S/C4S to a TT.

Of course, my comments are purely subjective and offered with all due humility. Please could I request that you post any replies on that thread so that all comments are situated in the same thread. Many thanks

Here's a link to my report on the 997 Board:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=402951&an=0&page=0#402951

Re: Link: test drove a 997TT yesterday

One point were I do not agree with you is:

unlike you I think that 997 Turbo is way more demanding on the(or near) limit then any other 997 series model.

Your assumption is probably based on the fact that you did not pushed 997 Turbo too high and that example that you drove did not have SC.

I agree with you KresoF1. I've heard that the TT is tricky at the limit. But on my test drive, I never got to test the car at the limit

I also test drove a new 997TT recently and after 45 minutes, there was no question for me. Currently drive a 996C4S and there is a BIG difference in the way it drives. The 997TT is not only so much faster (unbelieveable), but the clutch handled so much easier than my C4S. After several hundred miles in my C4S, my leg starts cramping it is so stiff. The 997TT I could drive forever. Mine is coming in late March and I can't wait!!!! I think the Turbo is the best looking car on the road and I am ready for more car (my third Porsche, working my way up the food chain). Good luck!

I find it interesting that both you and several others feel the C2S is more than enough car relative to the TT. I bought my TT (my first Porsche) with having only a brief test drive in a friends car. My first real experience in a Porsche was at the Porsche Driving School in Birmingham Alabama. There I got to drive the C2S and came away with the belief that it was all the car I would ever really need.

Now that I have the TT I still feel that way. Don't get me wrong, I love my turbo, but I'd be just as happy with a C2S for a lot less money.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    I find it interesting that both you and several others feel the C2S is more than enough car relative to the TT. I bought my TT (my first Porsche) with having only a brief test drive in a friends car. My first real experience in a Porsche was at the Porsche Driving School in Birmingham Alabama. There I got to drive the C2S and came away with the belief that it was all the car I would ever really need.

Now that I have the TT I still feel that way. Don't get me wrong, I love my turbo, but I'd be just as happy with a C2S for a lot less money.

Interesting perspective and I feel a very honest one.

Lots of guys say "The [model designation] I have is more than enough car for me," when speculating on the more powerful Porsches.

What's funny is how much Porsche sells these cars by race track performance.

Wicked straights hitting tight turns, Ss, hairpins, lots of room to spin out, safety barriers; all conditions which would allow everybody who owns one to experience the unique qualities and limits of each car (Boxsters, C2/S, C4/S, TT).

However, when you have only public highways on which to "experience" your particular car, which feature is the one that comes to the foreground most vividly and frequently?

I vote it's gonna be the shortage or abundance of HP/Tq.

FWIW... .

I have to say that I concur with Larry. I did enjoy using the C2/C2S at the PDSD too but however, the fact that I've lusted after the Turbo since my childhood days helps me overlook that.

I have now have had the privilege of owning both, and I would say the Turbo is TWICE the car that the Carrera S is.

Accelerating in a Turbo feels SOOOOO good. I love that sling-shot feeling and the car feels unbelievably planted. Sticking my foot down in my old Carrera always left me very disappointed and at the same time slightly scared at how light the steering goes.

I don't think I will ever get to 6/10 of the Turbo's limits on the UK public roads and probably never passed 9/10 on a track. So this near-limit handling issue is irrelevant to me. My cars spend less than 1% of their lives on a track, and I am afraid to say that I don't have any plans to ever turn PSM off. So I just want a car that puts a big smile on my face but in the safest possible way.

I use to consider my Carrera as a 'supercar'. Now I have a Turbo, I have redefined what a 'super'-car really is and the Turbo is definitely in a different league.

Frankly, I don't miss my old Carrera one little bit!! Sorry.

BTW - after my first test-drive in a Turbo I actually felt the same as you do Easy. Only after a few more test-drives and an experience day at Millbrook track did I then see the light.

I agree 100%. I have been lucky to have owned several Porsches from 928GTS, to Targas, Cabs and two turbos. I now have a 997TT which I love. However I loved my C2s and bang for the bucks I think C2S is the best car Porsche have. While I adore my TT the C2S felt more as if the driver and the car are as one

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I have to say that I concur with Larry. I did enjoy using the C2/C2S at the PDSD too but however, the fact that I've lusted after the Turbo since my childhood days helps me overlook that.

lust, schmust. based on our talk yesterday we're both already thinking of the next dream LOL!!! let's see who goes first

Had my TT for a month now, and covered 4,000 kms in that time. I would find it very hard to go back to a conventional 997 for the following reasons:

1. Looks. Not a "pretty" car, but serious, businesslike, non nonsense. Air intakes on rear guards, rear spoiler, huge tyres, but IMO it doesn't yell "look at me".

2. Sound. Although subtle, the music of the turbos spooling up and associated air pressure huffs and puffs is a symphony for me every time I hear it.

3. Handling. Although feedback from the road is a little muted compared to my old Boxster S and 911's the TT hangs on in corners like no car I've ever driven. I know this is not everyones experience, but when I hit the twisties, I'm in heaven.

4. The power and the glory. The visceral (dare I say sexual?) thrill derived from passing at full power is worth the price of admission alone. Or the few occasions when I've indulged myself by rocketing away from traffic lights, blowing some wanna-be ricer to the weeds.

For me it's all about owning a supercar. It's meant a silly amount of cash, a long wait, but all worth it now. To be honest there is NO other car which would suit my daily driver needs on the one hand and need for the thrill of ultimate driving better than the TT.

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:

lust, schmust. based on our talk yesterday we're both already thinking of the next dream LOL!!! let's see who goes first

Care to wager a gentleman's wager on that?

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Sticking my foot down in my old Carrera always left me very disappointed

[edited]

Agreed.

The last few months of 997S ownership for me: when I got frisky I found myself "waiting" for the car to get into triple digits.

Got the TT, stepped on it, and instantly understood what "point and shoot" meant.

LOL.

Funny things these Human minds.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Sticking my foot down in my old Carrera always left me very disappointed

[edited]

Agreed.

The last few months of 997S ownership for me: when I got frisky I found myself "waiting" for the car to get into triple digits.

Got the TT, stepped on it, and instantly understood what "point and shoot" meant.

LOL.

Funny things these Human minds.

I could not agree more and unfortunately you can feel a bit of that in the GT3 as well while it's quicker than the C2s in every imaginable way. But the TT does not fool around, quite often in the city I just want to pass the slower traffic and of I am not carefful I am doing a 100+ m.p.h

I loved my C2S but the only area I felt it was a bit lackluster was the torque. One brief test drive in the TT and there was no turning back. I ordered my car that day and left my C2S with them in order to get the most $ as a trade in. I drove the 200 km back home in a rental!

When I had my 997 C2, I loved it but found myself secretly glancing at every passing Corvette , yearning for more low end torque. It did not feel good that some luxury "boats" have more low end torque than my sports car. That for the next 4-5 years I would be missing out on what seems to be so much fun.

Now that I have the Turbo, I am overwhelmed with happiness, and fear, when the right foot goes down. I do "just have to have this car in my life" and have no plan to go back to any of Porsche's non-turbo offerings any time soon (unless of course CGT when I win the lottery, or PAG puts a Corvette like V-8 in mid-engine configuration for next gen. 911--could pigs fly?). Current NA Porsche Flat 6's are of course proven engines and are great for the track, where high rev brings torque and hp, but *for me* they are not good enough for an expensive high-end DAILY DRIVER. Not anymore considering the competitions out there.

Anyway, the explosive turbo engine is addicting and joy occurs every 5 seconds with this car. It feels night and day more muscular than the NA engine, like there is a locomotive block back there . Because said lead-foot induced exhilarations FEEL SO GOOD, my opinion is that take-no-prisoner linear acceleration is a MUST-HAVE for a 100k plus sports car.

I am a 997TT owner in the US. I have had the car since June '06 and really love it. At the same time, I had a 997S for about 9 months before opportunity for TT. My thoughts:
    - the TT has awesome power, but I am a RWD guy. I really preferrred the S from a handling and response perspective
    - TT has scary acceleration...I mean it is crazy fast..I love it
    -- S seems a lot lighter, hard to explain
    -- I drive both cars "everday" to the gym, to work, the school to get my kids, etc. There is no problem driving a TT everyday. I am not image conscious...but the TT always gets you front row at the steakhouse which is good and bad
    -- TT road height is no problem
    -- i live in a mid-sized city...i can drive 95mph to work. But on these roads and the times I drive, you can not really even tap the potential of the 997s.

Summary: I love the TT, but I sort of miss the tossability of the 997s.

Too bad they can't make a '2' and a '4' version of the turbo, just like the base Carrera. I know, there's the GT2, but that is at a much different price point.

Unsure if I am interpreting this correctly but here goes:

I came off a local dual-carriageway roundabout the other day in my Turbo, and as you turn off, there is a slow left bend followed by about a mile straight (before the next roundabout).

Anyway, the roads were a bit cold and damp but at the same time, nice and quiet. So as I exited the 1st roundabout and went round the left bend at say 50mph, and as the corner started to straighten out I squeezed the throttle (perhaps 3/4) in the attempt to 'power out' of the bend - slow in, fast out!

It was here that my rear started to SNAKE under the acceleration as it struggled to put all that power down to the tarmac. I didn't see any PSM lights come on. Instead I am guessing power was instantly transferred to the front wheels, the snaking rear was dragged into line, and then 1 sec later the car just shot forward (at 'ludicrous' speed for those of you familiar with the film Spaceballs). All very controlled, seemingly very safe.

What my old C2S would have done on this (very familiar corner) would have been for the PSM to totally cut the power and take a couple of seconds to sort itself out. Completely killing all and any fun. Perhaps in Sport mode or with PSM off, it would be different but I tend to leave both of those alone in the wet on public roads.

So in short - I LOVE having 4wd. The Turbo has so many levels of controlling all that power. First there is crazy amount of grip, then there is the 4wd and lastly there is PSM as a safety net. This is one of the reasons why owning a GT2 doesn't interest me at all, even if it were the same price as the Turbo.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Unsure if I am interpreting this correctly but here goes:

I came off a local dual-carriageway roundabout the other day in my Turbo, and as you turn off, there is a slow left bend followed by about a mile straight (before the next roundabout).

Anyway, the roads were a bit cold and damp but at the same time, nice and quiet. So as I exited the 1st roundabout and went round the left bend at say 50mph, and as the corner started to straighten out I squeezed the throttle (perhaps 3/4) in the attempt to 'power out' of the bend - slow in, fast out!

It was here that my rear started to SNAKE under the acceleration as it struggled to put all that power down to the tarmac. I didn't see any PSM lights come on. Instead I am guessing power was instantly transferred to the front wheels, the snaking rear was dragged into line, and then 1 sec later the car just shot forward (at 'ludicrous' speed for those of you familiar with the film Spaceballs). All very controlled, seemingly very safe.

What my old C2S would have done on this (very familiar corner) would have been for the PSM to totally cut the power and take a couple of seconds to sort itself out. Completely killing all and any fun. Perhaps in Sport mode or with PSM off, it would be different but I tend to leave both of those alone in the wet on public roads.

So in short - I LOVE having 4wd. The Turbo has so many levels of controlling all that power. First there is crazy amount of grip, then there is the 4wd and lastly there is PSM as a safety net. This is one of the reasons why owning a GT2 doesn't interest me at all, even if it were the same price as the Turbo.

There is a truth in this post that most folks gloss over - the very folks for whom driver aids make the most sense.

The GT3, GT3 RS, and GT2 are alluring to be sure, but far too much car for most people. I'd be willing to bet big dollars that as a proportion of cars produced or sold, more of those cars are trashed than C2's, C4's and TT's. Unless one is a very experienced driver who intends on mainly tracking the car, the "everday" 911's are by far the best buy, and the best cars on the market.

I very much agreed. Even as I wish that the Turbo is lighter and doesn't have 4wd, I realize the car as it is right now is probably best for me.

Who knows how many times 4wd has saved my skin on those fast curves. And who knows how I would suffer if the seats were not infinitely/continuously adjustable, like the heavy Adaptive Sports Seat that *I* ordered (instead of waiting for the much lighter but not as adjustable Sports Seat). That is, I only have myself to blame for part of the weight problem, because that's what my need is.

And even as I wonder about the X73, I realize it might be best to leave the suspension alone as I don't take it this car to the track at all and a stiff suspension might be too much for a car I drive daily.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:

There is a truth in this post that most folks gloss over - the very folks for whom driver aids make the most sense.

The GT3, GT3 RS, and GT2 are alluring to be sure, but far too much car for most people. I'd be willing to bet big dollars that as a proportion of cars produced or sold, more of those cars are trashed than C2's, C4's and TT's. Unless one is a very experienced driver who intends on mainly tracking the car, the "everday" 911's are by far the best buy, and the best cars on the market.

cannga said:
    And even as I wonder about the X73, I realize it might be best to leave the suspension alone as I don't take it this car to the track at all and a stiff suspension might be too much for a car I drive daily.

I'd have to say installing the Bilstein Damptronic coil overs would make a big improvement in the enjoyment of your car. They don't make the suspension "stiffer", but rather more compliant. In the brief time I've driven my car with the Damptronics (and H&H sway bars) I believe this is the way the car should have been delivered in the first place. BIG IMPROVEMENT!

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    I'd have to say installing the Bilstein Damptronic coil overs would make a big improvement in the enjoyment of your car. They don't make the suspension "stiffer", but rather more compliant. In the brief time I've driven my car with the Damptronics (and H&H sway bars) I believe this is the way the car should have been delivered in the first place. BIG IMPROVEMENT!

I heartily concur with Larry on this one since I did exactly the same thing. I couldn't be more pleased with the end results. If you're on the fence on this one then I'd say that it's time ot jump.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/16/22 11:50 AM
    BjoernB

572321 1304
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/23/22 1:43 PM
    Rossi
    221995 1179
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/22 6:57 PM
    JoeRockhead
    110741 951
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/1/22 7:14 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    107967 405
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    89112 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31384 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    511514 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    426783 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    423718 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    387045 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    364376 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/13/22 3:48 PM
    Grant
    345207 3536
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    289107 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    137257 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/25/22 7:26 PM
    bluelines
    134256 1388
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    110617 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM