Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Aston Martin DB9 and Vantage Together at Last

After being just a passenger and watching how my wife's Vantage delighted her, I finally took delivery of my Aston. Done in identical tungsten silver, the pair truly lets you enjoy how their lines differ. Each has its special character. Her muscular, athletic 2007 Vantage and my beautiful, sleek, elegant 2008 DB9 look great together.

For full resolution image click http://indigokuo.home.comcast.net/~indigokuo/aston/db9_and_vantage.jpg

Since it was Porche's customer support problems which initially propelled us to Aston, we send Porsche our thanks

Now we're a much happier Aston family.

Re: Aston Martin DB9 and Vantage Together at Last

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.........

Congrats. A awesome couple of cars. But why two vantages and no volante?

Congratulations Guy Kuo on the nice pair, beautiful.

Good customer support is just as important as the cars they produce.

I drove my Aston for the first time in awhile today, and I remembered why I switched from Porsches in the first place. The presense and "special" feeling you get from an Aston is something that no Porsche (short of maybe a Carrera GT) can give you. Congrats Guy!

Thanks. Agree that maybe a GT would be allowed in the garage.

Both coupes because they best present the lines of the Aston. The squared off end of the volantes don't do the sculptures justice. We always have my beater for when we want a ride with the top down, anyways.

Finally had a day with sunlight to take some decent picts. Despite a week of grey skies and rain, the DB9 and I had some road time. She's starting to feel like a part of my body and that silly grin just doesn't come off my face.

For higher resolution click Large Image

For higher resolution click Large Image

Looks beautiful!

Do you have a problem figuring out which car is her's and hich one is your's. They look very identical to each other.

Tungsten Silver is to die for. What a gorgeous colour it is. Although they are both stunningly beautiful cars, I'm more inclined to prefer the Vantage personally which I think it's just down to the proportions.

You lucky couple.

Stunning! Enjoy in good health, buddy

Stunning indeed. How about a comparison writeup?

I was asked in a private message to relate how it was to go from the Porche to the Aston Vantage. Because the reply may be of usefulness to others considering that switch, I also post my reply here......

My wife is the one who over the past years went through a 996 Boxster, a 996 C4S, and finally her 997S. I can only relate her commentary as I was never the driver of HER cars.

Neither of us do track days, but we do enjoy some windy roads in the east side. The top speed is never high, but lateral G's are fun.

First, does she regret switching to the Vantage? Not at all. Her comment thinking back about the Porches was that they were like flimsy jalopies in comparison. The Aston is a VERY solidly built car which requires much less effort to pilot around curves. She constantly fiddled the Carreras around the curves to get that back end around. Now, she simply amazes me with how smoothly the curves happen. You feel the force simply change direction smoothly as she brakes and rounds curves. The Vantage simply holds the path she choses and I don't see her working the steering wheel back and forth going through curves. It just flows.

That's a totally different experience than what you get form a Porsche. One makes you work to make the car cooperate. The Aston simply does what you ask. Because of its weight, it tends to hide how fast you are going.

BTW, she definitely prefers the 997S's handling over that of the 996 C4S. The 997S was better balanced, but she could still feel that back end wanting to break loose.

The Boxster remains the most amazing vehicle in terms of pivoting around turns. That car just needed more POWER.

Back to the Vantage.

The interior finish and external paint and body panel work is one or two levels beyond what Porche achieves in the Carerra. It is definitely a luxury car while the Porches were only nicely done. There IS a definite sense of occasion whenever we ride the Aston and that persists for over a year after getting hers. The new excitement sensation simply didn't last long with the Porches.

I think that is due to the sense that the car is there to take care of you. Other cars and drivers obviously respect you and make way for the Aston. In comparison, the Porches were often treated aggressively by other drivers. It is amazing how frequently she gets the thumbs up and smiles in the Aston instead of being instantly prejudged to be another Porsche owning "a-hole" (pardon the expression, but we did own three Porches and she used to be a RABID Porsche supporter.

She can't go back, because she's spoiled now.

If you're looking for a track car, check out the 997s. It handles significantly better by her report than the 996 C4S. If you want something special, that puts a smile on your face due to how it makes you feel even at 25 MPH, and is still really fun in the windy roads, you won't go wrong with the Vantage.

We ordered both of ours through the local Aston dealership. Takes a bit of a wait, but you get exactly what you spec. The current Aston dealership at Park Place LTD has done well with my DB9 order. Let John Petherbridge there show you the Vantage and see for yourself.

We're totally enthused and happy with our Astons. They stand out from the crowd, but are not overly flashy. They are fun drives and give you a special ENVIRONMENT in which to handle the road and be pampered.

One other thing to remember when you first try out a Vantage. It is a completely different kind of car than a Porsche so don't treat it the same way. The skills that worked well in one don't work well in the other. It took my wife about 1,000 miles before she really made the transition, but wow she does astonish (and sometimes scare the bejesus out of me) when she now expertly maneuvers her Vantage.

In terms of really comparing the DB9 and the Vantage, that will have to wait until my wife, the gear head, gets some more time behind the DB9's wheels. For some reason she never gets a chance to drive that one.

Thanks for the write-up Guy

decisions, decisions

Beautiful duet Thanks for the summary

Like Guy's wife, I have also owned Boxster S, 996 and 997. I can relate and echo what Guy wrote above. Who anyone contemplating a Aston Martin from a Porsche, you won't regret it!

Quote:
    Guy Kuo said:
    The Vantage simply holds the path she choses and I don't see her working the steering wheel back and forth going through curves. It just flows.

That's a totally different experience than what you get form a Porsche. One makes you work to make the car cooperate. The Aston simply does what you ask. Because of its weight, it tends to hide how fast you are going.

Porsche knew how to do that and the special luxury feel also, it was called the 928, nice ones are even more rare than AM's.

I remember the posts when your wife originally bought her V8. It's nice to hear a long term report. Interesting family boundaries.

Beautiful setting for your house. Everything looks terrific. Don't be shy about posting more incredible shots.

Thanks for the writeup.
    Pretty much on par with my experience which is you don't have to drive as fast as the Porsche to enjoy the Aston...

What kind of surface is that driveway?

Very nice car, I've always loved the look of the AM's but stayed away because I heard they were unreliable. I guess they've come a long way in a short time.

God Astons are sooooo gorgeous...
    And I'm soooooo jealous

The newer VH platform models are distinctly more reliable. My wife's Vantage is her daily driver - no reliability issues, just some limits on WHERE she is willing to park.

Quote:
    Guy Kuo said:
    The newer VH platform models are distinctly more reliable. My wife's Vantage is her daily driver - no reliability issues, just some limits on WHERE she is willing to park.

With our AM we have the same problem
    Easy solution : take 2 lots

Great photos How come the guy always gets to drive the bigger car??

Two slots around here is an open invitation for getting your paint keyed and your glasswork scratched. A small but non-zero portion of the population will happily "educate" you and vent their frustrations upon a car. Even a boxster is enough to ellicit an attack.

Just gorgeous, you lucky man, enjoy and congrat

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

572950 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/23/22 1:43 PM
    Rossi
    222162 1179
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/22/22 5:17 PM
    nberry
    111763 978
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/1/22 7:14 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    108066 405
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    89295 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31407 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    511748 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    427200 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    424087 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    387736 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    364588 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/22/22 8:11 PM
    Pilot
    347272 3544
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    289386 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    137450 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/25/22 7:26 PM
    bluelines
    134648 1388
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    110721 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM