Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

From the Exciting to the Ordinary

RC, you asked what kinds of questions I might have.

I keep reading of E 55's pulling to the right, COMAND problems, etc. and cars staying at dealer repair shops days at a time, as if they do not know what to do.

Is MB/AMG aware of this? Do they care? Are they doing anything? What?

Re: From the Exciting to the Ordinary

Quote:

I keep reading of E 55's pulling to the right, COMAND problems, etc. and cars staying at dealer repair shops days at a time, as if they do not know what to do.

Let me point out something:
    1. PULLING TO THE RIGHT: even at over 300 kph (188 mph), my E55 follows the street like a train on a track, no problems at all. This is highly impressive for such a heavy limousine.
    I have another video of me doing a pretty narrow Autobahn curve at around 240 kph (150 mph) with the left hand on the steering wheel only (right hand held the camera) and the car felt rock solid, no tendency of "nervousness" or whatsoever.
    A lot of people, especially in the US, play around with tires and suspension setups. This is VERY VERY dangerous on the E55, I had some discussions about it with somebody at AMG and with two DC engineers I met at my dealer. The E55 has an almost perfect setup, especially regarding tires/rims.
    Some people really don't want to understand that.

2. COMAND APS: after the 4.th software update, the COMAND works now flawless, absolutely perfect. No problems whatsoever anymore.

3. ELECTRONICS: after several updates, adaptations, a new gearbox control unit (same HW but newer SW version) and a lot of good will from my mechanics, it seems that the electronics problems have dissapeared completely. No more strange announcements or warnings, it works perfect now.

4. ENGINE: I got a flap control unit exchanged because the Motronic ME 2.8 saved a problem in the DAS system.
    Another problem (which curiously didn't appear again) was the 7.th cylindre where the Motronic ME 2.8 fault memory saved a problem indicating that the valve is defective. This might have to do with the performance problem I have right now at speeds especially over 200 kph (125 mph). Trust me: most drivers wouldn't have even noticed that problem, I was lucky the Motronic saves some problems in it's memory.
    My mechanic is working on this problem too, hopefully this will be the last one. I also made an enquiry (incl. a video showing the hauling noise at 282 kph) to AMG directly and as they're very helpful at the AMG factory, I hope to get an answer soon.

OVERALL conclusion: my Mercedes dealer over here in my hometown has been fantastic so far. He tried hard, I had several mechanics working on my car at the same time to rush things and everybody seemed very dedicated to solve all my problems. So far, they did a great job but the E55 is a pretty new car and they lack experience. I got a E500 loaner when my E55 was sitting at my dealer, what can I ask more?
    Yes, I'm very satisfied with my dealer/mechanics but I wish they had more information from the factory to get rid of all problems at once, not little but little. It seems that technical information/fixes from the factory poure through to dealers only little by little and I think this is not good for customers.
    I wish DC/AMG would summon the customers who have problems with their E55 (there is another one at my dealer with different ones ) and discuss with them what can be improved. I'm even willing to spend my spare time for that but so far, I think AMG considers myself just a crazy car nutt, nothing more. In reality, I found so many flaws on my first Porsche 996 C2 that this car went straight to Weissach for one whole week to learn from it.

Enough said: I really love my E55, it is a family Porsche Turbo and a great car if you need a lot of space and some fun too. Not something for a 20 year old without family but a very very nice and refined car. I just wish all the last problems dissapear because right now I really started to enjoy my car and if they get rid of the performance problem, I'll be a very happy owner.
    My prediction: the MY 2004 E55 will already have a lot of fixes, so I can actually really recommend buying one.
    But I understand if dealers in the US for example have a hard time to get enough information to fix all those electronics gimmicks, etc. Information comes only slowly, this is something DC/AMG should really look into it more carefully.

And a last warning to some people who think their E55 is not fast or low enough: I can't say it again and again...PLEASE do not modify your car with aftermarket kits, especially from unknows or cheap Tuners. Reason? Here are a few:

1. the setup of the E55 has been tested very very well by AMG, it is a unique limousine and a very fast and secure one under any circumstances. Especially tire recommendations should be followed and be careful with aftermarket rims too.

2. engine tuning doesn't really do the trick, especially if you're from the US. I read about some fantastic acceleration times from 0-125 mph and I really wonder how they have been achieved. I read three tests of three different E55 modified by three different Tuners (Kicherer, Brabus and Vaeth) and NONE of these cars (one claimed to have almost 600 HP) was faster from 0-125 mph than the stock car. This is the plain truth!
    The real advantage of such power kits shows off at speeds over 125 mph but to be honest: when did you drive 188 mph in the US lately (with the speed limit removed)? So such power kits don't make any sense at all, think about it.
    The warranty is gone for sure, all dealers are asked to keep track of technically modified cars. And if a Tuner tells you that their tuning can't be detected at all, this is a LIE!
    If you have a broken engine, Mercedes/AMG sends an engineer to check the problem, the engine control unit will be analized and don't forget: max. speed, max. rev, max. boost pressure! are not only saved in the engine control unit.
    So if DC/AMG wants to find out, they WILL for sure!
    Ask your dealer what a E55 engine costs (if DC refuses paying for repair) and you'll be shocked.

3. Suspension lowering doesn't make much sense. Most E55 I know go pretty down when the Sport Setting 2 is activated.
    Do you really want to risk damaging your car for another 10-20 mm which most people can't even see?
    There is also a problem with the underflow of the air at high speeds and other possible problems. DON'T DO it!

Sorry for the long post but sometimes I wonder how people pay so much money for such a wonderful car and start playing around with it as if they were 16 year old adolescents tuning their go-kart. The E55 is high tech, there is nothing one can do to modify it, this is a job for a pro.
    Which leads me to my last point: a good mechanic is worth gold.

Re: From the Exciting to the Ordinary

Quote:

Let me point out something:
    1. PULLING TO THE RIGHT: even at over 300 kph (188 mph), my E55 follows the street like a train on a track, no problems at all. This is highly impressive for such a heavy limousine.
    I have another video of me doing a pretty narrow Autobahn curve at around 240 kph (150 mph) with the left hand on the steering wheel only (right hand held the camera) and the car felt rock solid, no tendency of "nervousness" or whatsoever.
    A lot of people, especially in the US, play around with tires and suspension setups. This is VERY VERY dangerous on the E55, I had some discussions about it with somebody at AMG and with two DC engineers I met at my dealer. The E55 has an almost perfect setup, especially regarding tires/rims.
    Some people really don't want to understand that.

2. COMAND APS: after the 4.th software update, the COMAND works now flawless, absolutely perfect. No problems whatsoever anymore.

3. ELECTRONICS: after several updates, adaptations, a new gearbox control unit (same HW but newer SW version) and a lot of good will from my mechanics, it seems that the electronics problems have dissapeared completely. No more strange announcements or warnings, it works perfect now.

4. ENGINE: I got a flap control unit exchanged because the Motronic ME 2.8 saved a problem in the DAS system.
    Another problem (which curiously didn't appear again) was the 7.th cylindre where the Motronic ME 2.8 fault memory saved a problem indicating that the valve is defective. This might have to do with the performance problem I have right now at speeds especially over 200 kph (125 mph). Trust me: most drivers wouldn't have even noticed that problem, I was lucky the Motronic saves some problems in it's memory.
    My mechanic is working on this problem too, hopefully this will be the last one. I also made an enquiry (incl. a video showing the hauling noise at 282 kph) to AMG directly and as they're very helpful at the AMG factory, I hope to get an answer soon.

OVERALL conclusion: my Mercedes dealer over here in my hometown has been fantastic so far. He tried hard, I had several mechanics working on my car at the same time to rush things and everybody seemed very dedicated to solve all my problems. So far, they did a great job but the E55 is a pretty new car and they lack experience. I got a E500 loaner when my E55 was sitting at my dealer, what can I ask more?
    Yes, I'm very satisfied with my dealer/mechanics but I wish they had more information from the factory to get rid of all problems at once, not little but little. It seems that technical information/fixes from the factory poure through to dealers only little by little and I think this is not good for customers.
    I wish DC/AMG would summon the customers who have problems with their E55 (there is another one at my dealer with different ones ) and discuss with them what can be improved. I'm even willing to spend my spare time for that but so far, I think AMG considers myself just a crazy car nutt, nothing more. In reality, I found so many flaws on my first Porsche 996 C2 that this car went straight to Weissach for one whole week to learn from it.

Enough said: I really love my E55, it is a family Porsche Turbo and a great car if you need a lot of space and some fun too. Not something for a 20 year old without family but a very very nice and refined car. I just wish all the last problems dissapear because right now I really started to enjoy my car and if they get rid of the performance problem, I'll be a very happy owner.
    My prediction: the MY 2004 E55 will already have a lot of fixes, so I can actually really recommend buying one.
    But I understand if dealers in the US for example have a hard time to get enough information to fix all those electronics gimmicks, etc. Information comes only slowly, this is something DC/AMG should really look into it more carefully.

And a last warning to some people who think their E55 is not fast or low enough: I can't say it again and again...PLEASE do not modify your car with aftermarket kits, especially from unknows or cheap Tuners. Reason? Here are a few:

1. the setup of the E55 has been tested very very well by AMG, it is a unique limousine and a very fast and secure one under any circumstances. Especially tire recommendations should be followed and be careful with aftermarket rims too.

2. engine tuning doesn't really do the trick, especially if you're from the US. I read about some fantastic acceleration times from 0-125 mph and I really wonder how they have been achieved. I read three tests of three different E55 modified by three different Tuners (Kicherer, Brabus and Vaeth) and NONE of these cars (one claimed to have almost 600 HP) was faster from 0-125 mph than the stock car. This is the plain truth!
    The real advantage of such power kits shows off at speeds over 125 mph but to be honest: when did you drive 188 mph in the US lately (with the speed limit removed)? So such power kits don't make any sense at all, think about it.
    The warranty is gone for sure, all dealers are asked to keep track of technically modified cars. And if a Tuner tells you that their tuning can't be detected at all, this is a LIE!
    If you have a broken engine, Mercedes/AMG sends an engineer to check the problem, the engine control unit will be analized and don't forget: max. speed, max. rev, max. boost pressure! are not only saved in the engine control unit.
    So if DC/AMG wants to find out, they WILL for sure!
    Ask your dealer what a E55 engine costs (if DC refuses paying for repair) and you'll be shocked.

3. Suspension lowering doesn't make much sense. Most E55 I know go pretty down when the Sport Setting 2 is activated.
    Do you really want to risk damaging your car for another 10-20 mm which most people can't even see?
    There is also a problem with the underflow of the air at high speeds and other possible problems. DON'T DO it!

Sorry for the long post but sometimes I wonder how people pay so much money for such a wonderful car and start playing around with it as if they were 16 year old adolescents tuning their go-kart. The E55 is high tech, there is nothing one can do to modify it, this is a job for a pro.
    Which leads me to my last point: a good mechanic is worth gold.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt

476053 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 10/18/21 10:58 PM
    Leawood911
    174642 1150
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 10/14/21 6:25 PM
    bluelines
    68349 382
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 10/20/21 2:36 PM
    Enmanuel
    61517 631
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    47680 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/21/21 3:15 PM
    CGX car nut
    46739 432
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    12975 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    470521 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    387504 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/20/21 6:01 PM
    Topspeed
    383021 3919
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    349260 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 10/8/21 11:41 AM
    xpto
    318762 2647
    Porsche 992 GT3 10/21/21 1:02 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    270395 3050
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    252743 1587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    168567 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    118952 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    103278 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 10/9/21 1:11 PM