Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PCCBs --- Must have option?

I have an october delivery and I was wondering if it was really worth the money, I plan to take the car occasionally to race track.
    I want to take PCCB brakes but was questioning myselself if I would feel a difference on the track or small winding road?
    Is it a must have option?

thanks for inputs.

Re: PCCBs --- Must have option?

IMO, a must....markedly better brake pedal feel than steel brakes (easily appreciated in even casual street use), better fade resistance for track/mtn uses, lower unsprung weight (?50lb wt reduc), minim brake dust and larger yell calipers to better optically fill the 19s (and even bimbos in LA/LV seem to know that yell=PCCB on P's...and that all the well-spec'd P/F have ceramics... ).....value is a personal judgement...but this is a $150K discretionary sportscar, so why skimp on a $10K performance/driving feel-enhancing option???

Though the standard brakes are surely not bad either, give a car like the turbo what it deserves: best technology for one of the best sports cars out there.

Order PCCB (and PDK, ASAP ).

Hey Rossi, ive got a stupid question. How do you guys get the picture at the bottom of your post like the one you have with the enzo and the F430??

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    Hey Rossi, ive got a stupid question. How do you guys get the picture at the bottom of your post like the one you have with the enzo and the F430??

simple...

put [img] before your image url. then put [/img] after the image url

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    Atzporsche said:

simple...

But first you have to have a genius to create such a sweet image!

Thanks again sdy284.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    Atzporsche said:

simple...

But first you have to have a genius to create such a sweet image!

Thanks again sdy284.

lol np

No, it's not a "must have", but it is a "nice to have".

If money is tight, I would say that it is very expensive for the performance improvement and I could easily understand why someone would say no to that option. I'm thinking that the price may/should come down in the future, so it may be ok to wait for that and then sell your current brakes to someone who wants to upgrade to those (happens all the time that older cars get the larger brakes from a later model).

Quote:
    Grant said:

If money is tight, I would say that it is very expensive for the performance improvement and I could easily understand why someone would say no to that option. I'm thinking that the price may/should come down in the future, so it may be ok to wait for that and then sell your current brakes to someone who wants to upgrade to those (happens all the time that older cars get the larger brakes from a later model).

In a car w/so many networked black boxes like 997TT's PSM, PTM, AWD, SportChrono, Tip, etc etc, I suspect the era of safely going to some shop to swap brakes (or do any aftermkt mods) is over....as is the concept of owning a car like this without full factory warranty coverage intact.....

Always amusing to hear value arguments re: options on a car like 997TT that no frugal/cash-constrained guy "needs" anyway.....

Interesting point. I wonder how many of the electronic systems incorporate different software for the PCCB and steel brake models. I would say that it's possibly none or just ABS, but I could be wrong...

I vaguely recall RC pointing out ABS software has diffces btwn steel and PCCB on 997S...when someone recently asked re: buying PCCBs to swap into his 997S....

All the smart software guys I know strongly advise against mucking around w/today's factory-spec cars.....too much linked software content involving critical stability/braking/safety systems for a non-factory shop(or even many less capable P dealers) to safely attempt to modify....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    I vaguely recall RC pointing out ABS software has diffces btwn steel and PCCB on 997S...when someone recently asked re: buying PCCBs to swap into his 997S....

All the smart software guys I know strongly advise against mucking around w/today's factory-spec cars.....too much linked software content involving critical stability/braking/safety systems for a non-factory shop(or even many less capable P dealers) to safely attempt to modify....

Of all the cars that have been modified with aftermarket brakes out there; have there been a single case in which an accident occured due to such modification?

Quote:
    VKSF said:

If the software is that sensitive, then it would mess up the performance just by using track brake pads with different coefficient of friction. In fact, even using stock pads, the friction is quite different with respect to temperature (need different hydraulic pressure for the same amount of braking when hot vs. cold).

My expectation is that the systems would be able to accommodate these differences in pads and rotors (changing pad types or PCCB rotors vs. steel).

I think the only reason the software is different in ABS for PCCB is that the rotors are damaged under extended use at certain pulsing frequencies.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Of all the cars that have been modified with aftermarket brakes out there; have there been a single case in which an accident occured due to such modification?

May take yrs of litigation to prove cause of accids related to any mechanical/software failure....and mfrs of alleged accid cause may choose to settle and "seal up" case for obvious reasons....and perhaps a disproportionate fraction of accids involving modded cars have reckless driving as a primary cause, so mechanical sources aren't investigated thoroughly?

As situations like the Explorer rollover litigation seem to show, it's always difficult to "prove" cause (and publicize guilt) when various parties have substantial financial stakes and smart lawyers on both sides are battling to protect their clients' interests.....

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

If the software is that sensitive, then it would mess up the performance just by using track brake pads with different coefficient of friction. In fact, even using stock pads, the friction is quite different with respect to temperature (need different hydraulic pressure for the same amount of braking when hot vs. cold).

My expectation is that the systems would be able to accommodate these differences in pads and rotors (changing pad types or PCCB rotors vs. steel).

I think the only reason the software is different in ABS for PCCB is that the rotors are damaged under extended use at certain pulsing frequencies.

Answer to question may be found in whether P will fully honor warranty if P dealer does the brake swap.....and then how much would that swap cost?....I suspect the answers to these questions will favor argument of spec'g 997TT w/PCCB at factory....and if one is short on cash for PCCB when getting 997TT, just get PCCB on next new 997TT, b/c you surely don't want to own any 997TT once warranty expires anyway....

Quote:
    VKSF said:Answer to question may be found in whether P will fully honor warranty if P dealer does the brake swap.....and then how much would that swap cost?....I suspect the answers to these questions will favor argument of spec'g 997TT w/PCCB at factory....and if one is short on cash for PCCB when getting 997TT, just get PCCB on next new 997TT, b/c you surely don't want to own any 997TT once warranty expires anyway....

I'd have to take exception with that too. If Porsche can legally disclaim the warranty, they will. It doesn't necessarily mean that upgrading to PCCB's will negatively impact performance of the electronics.

And as far as owning a 997TT out of warranty - each person will have to answer that question for himself. But personally, I think it would make a great buy at $60-70k in 6 or 7 years...

Owning one out of warranty would not chill me at all.

I have PCCB on my 997S and like it very much. It is not a must, but it feels so good compared to my previous 993 with standard brakes.

For future 997TT owners, they better all get PCCB as there is no excuse to buy the best sport car and then try to save a little bit of money and argue that the standard brake is adequate.

Imagine pulling up besides a boxster or cayman with PCCB, the turbo owner with standard brake will feel so "inadequate"...

There are many extended warranty options.

I wouldn't be concerned that a boxster or a cayman owner had PCCB's when my tt has the standard brakes. I would consider that the boxster/cayman owner should have used the extra money he/she spent on the brakes to buy a 911. Besides we wouldn't be side by side very long.
    Even at the price of the tt I don't consider 10k a little bit of money.

(thanks guys)

Quote:
    devo said:
    I would consider that the boxster/cayman owner should have used the extra money he/she spent on the brakes to buy a 911.

LOL!

Quote:
    Grant said:

If money is tight, I would say that it is very expensive for the performance improvement and I could easily understand why someone would say no to that option.

Money is tight buying a turbo? Then I really wish my money is very tight!!!

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:Answer to question may be found in whether P will fully honor warranty if P dealer does the brake swap.....and then how much would that swap cost?....I suspect the answers to these questions will favor argument of spec'g 997TT w/PCCB at factory....and if one is short on cash for PCCB when getting 997TT, just get PCCB on next new 997TT, b/c you surely don't want to own any 997TT once warranty expires anyway....

I'd have to take exception with that too. If Porsche can legally disclaim the warranty, they will. It doesn't necessarily mean that upgrading to PCCB's will negatively impact performance of the electronics.

And as far as owning a 997TT out of warranty - each person will have to answer that question for himself. But personally, I think it would make a great buy at $60-70k in 6 or 7 years...

"Value" decisions re: discretionary sportscars are obviously personal...and to each his own....

I view any sportscar as a rapidly obsolescing and disposable piece of mobile technology...akin to a PC/cell ph/iPod.....I've driven my current 996TTSCoupe over 15K mis and will trade it in for first, bespoke 997TT at my dealer; will be leased $0 dwn; will drive it about 12 mos (and about 15K mis) before trading it in for an '08 997TT w/hopefully a few new options like PDK, power kit and sports exhaust...and perhaps some debugged software vs the early 997TT....and will repeat the same cycle every yr, w/my only mtce costs and hassles being a set of rear tires once during my use of a given car....per my calcs, not a particularly expensive approach to driving latest tech from P, w/o hassles of older cars (i.e. cars needing oil changes )

Cars keep evolving every yr w/software and power upgrades...and perhaps over next 5-10 yrs, lighter materials....personally, I enjoy exploring latest and greatest technologies that P/F/MB can deliver for serial new car buyers, w/any glitches covered under factory warranty and w/minimal mtce downtime.....

I'll get the PCCB brakes...as I can afford the extra cost. I wanted to be sure that owners who had them were happy with it.
    Except the extra performance they offer , I will have another skimpy consolation: I prefer the yellow calippers.

Do the PCCB's last longer than the regular 997TT brakes?

They wear much less I heard , by how much i don't know

I reckon the 997 TT w/PCCB will have better resale value, maybe another reason to get them

Thanks, they are starting to sound more attractive.

From what I've read PCCB brakes never fades...that means consistant performance even when they are very sollicited.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

627993 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 8/6/22 1:00 AM
    W8MM
    263908 1183
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/26/22 3:36 PM
    tommd
    158099 1166
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/14/22 9:50 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    149621 417
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 8/10/22 8:51 PM
    WhoopsyM
    131207 538
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    67303 1
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 9/14/22 7:36 AM
    GnilM
    2571 18
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    562519 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    468243 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    465507 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    429374 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    420404 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 9/26/22 10:16 PM
    Grant
    409676 3713
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    328536 1587
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/30/22 11:46 AM
    Wonderbar
    176443 1446
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    176259 772
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    149242 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM