Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Front bumper - reaspary

I have had my Seal Grey car 997s about 2 months now. Just the other day as I was washing my baby, I noticed a fault with the paint on the front bumper which is under the lacquer. visited the OPC who said the whole bumper had to be resprayed.

Anyone know if it would be possible to get a replacement direct from the factory(already painted). I am going to ask the OPC this week, but wanted peoples thoughts first.

I would expect a factory replacment (done on the production line) to be better than a respray by a the body shop.

Re: Front bumper - reaspary

Ashton,

I'm sure you've heard the saying "using a band-aid to fix a broken leg"???

Well in the case of what you're describing, you've got the opposite scenario. You're prescribing an amputation to remedy a paper cut.

The dealer is correct, they would have to re-spray the entire nose just to fix your flaw....HOWEVER...

A re-sprayed nose panel is far less desirable than one solitary small subterranean flaw. Re-sprays, even when done properly, rarely have the durability and adhesion of the factory coat. Which means it will chip easier, you may have issues down the road of crow's-feet cracks where the nose flexes or is pushed on (kids, dogs, curbs, etc..), and invariably you'll trade your small flaw for a handful of fish-eyes, or sand scratches that show up under the surface months later after the paint cures/shrinks, or a few specks of dirt in the paint, etc.etc.... You run the risk of running around in circles and circles with the dealer's paint shop getting the damn thing perfect, only for it to be less durable and more prone to flaws down-the-road.

My advise?? Live with it, you're better off.

I've been down the road of trying to get a pre-painted factory bumper cover from Porsche. I needed one for my rear, as my 4 year old daughter accidentally dropped her dirt bike on it (big scratches, not something I could "live with").

I got an emphatic "NO" from Porsche on that. Let me know if you find a way, I'd be interested in a factory black rear cover. If you saw my car, you wouldn't know it had been resprayed on the rear cover. But I know, and it drives me batty.

Anyhow, if you're anal about the front of your car, just cover the whole thing in clear-bra so it's protected, and that will likewise obscure your flaw. Or, just let it ride, because without clear-bra you're going to get peppered with rock-chips and sand-blast over time anyhow, so you ought to wait until the entire nose really needs a re-finish, not just one small factory "oops".

That's my perspective. I know that when you pay that premium for a car, it oughta be perfect. But sometimes **** happens, and you've got to balance "should be" with reality.

Ashton,
    I would not worry about it. I had an old lady back into my rear bumper a while ago . It was replaced and it came out absolutely perfect .
    In fact, I think that the dealers bodyshop takes more time and does a better job than the factory guy who has to paint them all day long.
    They know that their work will be under much closer scrutiny when finished.

69bossnine,

Thankyou for the detailed response. I was just considering 'just live with it' and after you comments which I totally agree with (based on my past experiences) will probably do that.

Ashton, I had a paint problem on the front bumper of my previous 911 - a Seal Grey 996. The Leeds OPC re-painted and clear coated it under warranty and it was absolutely fine.

Given that pretty much every used car at an OPC has the front bumper resprayed i think they should be pretty good at it by now.

Quote:
    Ashton said:
    visited the OPC who said the whole bumper had to be resprayed.

Pssst, same thing happened to me. They resprayed and it was perfect. The paint has held up just like factory. If it's an excellent shop then don't worry about it. Cars new have repaints quite frequently for various things that happen during shipping. No big deal.

The old classic fallback response:

Wait until you get a dozen rock chips or minor dents from a shopping cart and THEN do something about it.

The car's not in a museum so it's "supposed" to get some wear and tear.

oops, I noticed 69bossnine said something similar... .

Paint is one of those relative discussions. It's all in what your eyes are trained to see. Can't tell you how many times I've seen cars win "best paint" at a show, voted on by their peers, and the winner is a total schlock job, that nobody could notice.. So there's no point in discussing the nuances of paint online.

This is in no way an accusation, or insult, to those who believe they've had good luck with their resprays. Chip Foose could be one of you fellas for all I know. That's not my angle whatsoever...

It's just to say that it's a circle-jerk to get into paint quality discussions online, blind, when standards can't be seen.

Bottom line, as I said, and MMD ditto'd, best to wait until you've got enough good reasons to repaint the nose. One flaw under the paint isn't enough, the risk outweighs the reward. Especially with a metallic, where even a perfect match in the can, won't lay down with the flakes oriented exactly the same (which depends on factors of surface static charge and booth environment and gun pressure, etc.etc..), which means in different angles under different lighting, you invariably wind up with slight differences unless your guy is lucky or good or both.

Just a thought and a question.

Can't you just order a factory-painted Seal Grey "bumper" from the Porsche at some point?

IOW, when you get enough scrapes and pimples on the old one just replace it with a new one?

The switch seems like a quick and easy DIY thing.

Of course the price of a new one might be hugely expensive compared to having damaged one painted?

Somehow though I think new ones are around us$1600.

Anybody know the costs for the factory-painted part? Can you get one f-painted?

I'm waiting to have to do this myself when I eventually get f-ed with all this parallel parking I do... .

My flaw was from factory so I don't buy the paints all relative arguement. A respray done by a high quality shop isn't the booga booga it once was. These cars, including F's get paint work new, far more than you realize.

I tried to obtain a factory-finished rear bumper cover when mine got nailed... I found nothing but a dead-end, even after emailing Porsche U.S.A. directly. Oh well..

This is an endless debate. The materials and technologies used in shops have improved, but the true craftsmen are getting rarer and rarer... Most high-end shops can fool most people most of the time.... It just depends on who's looking at the car.

It is true that a large amount of cars get bruised somewhere during or post-production, and get fixed stateside. I see them littering every showroom I browse.

1/4 panels resprayed, and blended at the top of the C-pillar...

Small chips Langka'd

Paintless dent removal where they didn't quite get it, or overdid it and fatigued the area.

All that crap is easy to see from 20 feet away for some, and impossible to see over a lifetime of ownership by others..

SrfCity may have a keener eye than I do, I have no way of knowing.

But that's the problem, there's no way of knowing online.

Best thing is to wait to respray when it's truly warranted, IMHO.

69bossnine is right,--live with it if you can, to avoid a respray. The factory will never ship you a bumper already painted. Could you image the packaging and special HANDLING they would have to go through to get it to you without further damage,--and then, would it MATCH?

That's one big reason why I ordered a custom non-metallic paint job. All sports cars will need something painted at one time or another and even the best shops may not get the metallics just right.

Dan

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

690557 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 2/4/23 10:00 PM
    nberry
    323447 1205
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 2/5/23 10:45 AM
    GnilM
    221887 1346
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 1/28/23 3:45 AM
    Spyderidol
    206453 465
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/6/22 12:37 AM
    WhoopsyM
    187722 580
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/20/23 10:57 PM
    Pilot
    133112 58
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 11/30/22 2:30 PM
    GnilM
    58497 68
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/25/22 1:02 AM
    CGX car nut
    484090 2663
    Porsche 992 GT3 2/1/23 7:03 AM
    GnilM
    479846 3807
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 1/21/23 3:51 PM
    CGX car nut
    234376 1491
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/30/22 6:31 PM
    Grant
    232346 774
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    202345 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    198479 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 2/5/23 2:14 PM
    cnc
    197480 2068
    Porsche GT4RS 12/30/22 1:28 AM
    JAMS
    192655 1194
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    165235 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    162234 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    158346 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    144891 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 2/5/23 3:02 PM
    M3ike
    142742 527
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    139695 593
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    138718 443
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    137174 722
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 2/4/23 1:10 AM
    WhoopsyM
    129792 1576
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    108541 640
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    107392 335
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 10/24/22 7:42 AM
    RCA
    105170 402
    Ferrari Wandered to the dark side 8/29/22 9:35 AM
    BiTurbo
    80346 418
    Ferrari Ferrari Roma 4/18/22 4:33 PM
    watt
    32682 438
    Motor Sp. MotoGP 6/6/22 11:49 PM
    watt
    31760 328
    164 items found, displaying 1 to 30.