Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Speed freak
    Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007, the class of its class, simply laughs at lag.
    DAN NEIL
    August 16, 2006

    IT'S taken me this long to recognize what I love about a Porsche 911 Turbo. And no, it's not the internal-combustion volcanism - now up to 480 hp in the 2007 model - or the claws-in-the-carpet grip, the carbide-steel stiffness, the perfect steering or land-anchor ceramic brakes.

    It's this: The 911 Turbo is the only ultra-performance sports car that's in good taste.

    http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil16aug16,0,327997.story

    [edit: fixed link]

    here's the corrected link

    http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil16aug16,0,327997.story

    Funny little article, this guy understands why I chose the 997tt instead of x,y or z

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Thanks for the article hatch. I subsequently email dan neil asking him about the car's driveability. He said power comes on very mellow and linear from idle to about 3000 rpm and then things happen quickly. Driveability is excellent.

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Thanks for the link hatch. I agree it is a funny and opined article. It describes well the car...At the end I was almost drooling It is definitely a great car.

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    I love what he says here:

    "Meanwhile, my vote for the world's sexiest car? A 911 Turbo, slightly lifted, with extreme snow tires and a ski rack on top, covered with road salt and grime, bashing up the road to Whistler in British Columbia. I think I might even kick a dent in one of the new all-aluminum, 22-pound doors. That's filthy hot."

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    I agree with his central conclusion, the turbo is the only supercar you can buy in the USA that won't offend nearly everyone who sees you drive it.

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    hatchback said:
    I agree with his central conclusion, the turbo is the only supercar you can buy in the USA that won't offend nearly everyone who sees you drive it.



    599 would be other alternative, based on criteria of relative anonymity.....599 is easily mistaken for some rather wide Chevy/Nissan/Fiat mongrel.....could argue 997TT's wings/ductwork/blingy wheels/yell calipers are a bit more boy-racerish than the curmudgeonly, low-key, CL-like 599.....though the 599's exhaust note is far more intimidating than the 997TT's.....

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    hatchback said:
    I agree with his central conclusion, the turbo is the only supercar you can buy in the USA that won't offend nearly everyone who sees you drive it.



    This quote seems to agree with my wife's general observations about car brands and their respective suitability to "our" garage.

    I once approvingly pointed out a Ferrari 430 to her as we walked by its parking spot. She quickly asked me, "If you decide to buy one of those where are you planning to live?"

    That said, she OK'd the Carrera GT because, I guess, that it was "only" a Porsche. Most random passers-by seem to regard the CGT as some sort of flying saucer when they see it.

    Go figure.

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    W8MM said:

    I once approvingly pointed out a Ferrari 430 to her as we walked by its parking spot. She quickly asked me, "If you decide to buy one of those where are you planning to live?"





    Where are you planning to live... As in "not in my house" or we'd have to find a new neighborhood?

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:

    I once approvingly pointed out a Ferrari 430 to her as we walked by its parking spot. She quickly asked me, "If you decide to buy one of those where are you planning to live?"





    Where are you planning to live... As in "not in my house" or we'd have to find a new neighborhood?



    lol probably as in "your house which I chose to accept as my house even though you paid for it"

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    JohnJohn said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:

    I once approvingly pointed out a Ferrari 430 to her as we walked by its parking spot. She quickly asked me, "If you decide to buy one of those where are you planning to live?"





    Where are you planning to live... As in "not in my house" or we'd have to find a new neighborhood?



    The implication was that I'd need to make new living arrangements

    She gets her say because she earned her half of our money.

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    You're a fortunate man

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Dan Neil is an excellent writer and knows cars. Clearly he likes the 997TT and his review is similiar to most other reviewers. However, his review of the car is lacking some important descriptive phrases for car enthusiast.
    "

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007


    Excellent article. This guy gets it. I especially like this quote comparing the 997TT vs. such vulgar cars as the F430: "Face it, with the exception of the Porsche, these cars do not cover their owners with glory. They are too vulgar, too boorish, too, too much."

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    W8MM said:




    Most random passers-by seem to regard the CGT as some sort of flying saucer when they see it.




    you really should take it to area 51 in nevada desert at night.... put some neon lights across the sills.... etc

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Dan Neil is an excellent writer and knows cars. Clearly he likes the 997TT and his review is similiar to most other reviewers. However, his review of the car is lacking some important descriptive phrases for car enthusiast.
    "



    Although I do agree with you to some extent, one must take into account that he's writing for LA Times, not Road and Track. Depending on your audience, one needs to address them accordingly.

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    DavidSF said:

    Excellent article. This guy gets it. I especially like this quote comparing the 997TT vs. such vulgar cars as the F430: "Face it, with the exception of the Porsche, these cars do not cover their owners with glory. They are too vulgar, too boorish, too, too much."




    I dont think the F430 is a vulgar car... What is a vulgar car???

    People that allow others to be a huge factor in their choice of car are not thinking straight IMO .

    I'll never turn down buying the car that i REALLY want because it will offend other people. Whats up with that...

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    No way is the Gallardo or F430 vulgar. Both are among the coolest cars money can buy. I do agree that they are (too?) flashy. I like them both a lot and considerd both but ended up ordering the Turbo. But Ferrari and also Lambo if anything are "art" instead of being vulgar.

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    BC911J said:
    People that allow others to be a huge factor in their choice of car are not thinking straight IMO .

    I'll never turn down buying the car that i REALLY want because it will offend other people. Whats up with that...



    What if those offended people are your customers?

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    BC911J said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:

    Excellent article. This guy gets it. I especially like this quote comparing the 997TT vs. such vulgar cars as the F430: "Face it, with the exception of the Porsche, these cars do not cover their owners with glory. They are too vulgar, too boorish, too, too much."




    I dont think the F430 is a vulgar car... What is a vulgar car???

    People that allow others to be a huge factor in their choice of car are not thinking straight IMO .

    I'll never turn down buying the car that i REALLY want because it will offend other people. Whats up with that...



    Here's the definition of vulgar from dictionary.com:

    Crudely indecent.

    Deficient in taste, delicacy, or refinement.
    Marked by a lack of good breeding; boorish. See Synonyms at common.
    Offensively excessive in self-display or expenditure; ostentatious: the huge vulgar houses and cars of the newly rich.
    Spoken by or expressed in language spoken by the common people; vernacular: the technical and vulgar names for an animal species.
    Of or associated with the great masses of people; common.

    The F430 is the car equivalent of a gold diamond encrusted Rolex watch. Vulgar. Yuck. But, there are people that like these vulgar things.

    Take a F430 and put it next to one of those vulgar rice Hondas with a body kit, big wing, flashy paint job, and lowered and the Honda will get just as many looks as the F430. That's vulgar.

    David

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    993S said:
    No way is the Gallardo or F430 vulgar. Both are among the coolest cars money can buy. I do agree that they are (too?) flashy. I like them both a lot and considerd both but ended up ordering the Turbo. But Ferrari and also Lambo if anything are "art" instead of being vulgar.



    Personally I don't consider the Gallardo a vulgar car even though it is very flashy. It's less gaudy than the F430. The Gallardo has very clean, simple, and sharp lines. I think of the Gallardo as the car equivalent of a platinum Patek watch, whereas the F430 is more like a gold diamond encrusted Rolex. Both flashy. But one is classy and flashy in good taste, the other is not and vulgar.

    David

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    hatchback said:
    Quote:
    BC911J said:
    People that allow others to be a huge factor in their choice of car are not thinking straight IMO .

    I'll never turn down buying the car that i REALLY want because it will offend other people. Whats up with that...



    What if those offended people are your customers?



    That is a different story but I'm sure that if someone can afford a Porsche Turbo/F430/Gallardo he/she can afford a nice enough car to use when not around 'customers'



    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Dan Neill is a total hack. You all are forgetting that only a year or so ago he said that the 911 should be retired in favor of the Cayman. What a jerk.

    Re: Dan Neil reviews Porsche's 911 Turbo for 2007

    Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Dan Neill is a total hack. You all are forgetting that only a year or so ago he said that the 911 should be retired in favor of the Cayman. What a jerk.



    He may be wrong by saying the 911 should be replced anytime soon, but i think he may be correct in the sense that the Cayman might just be a taster of what the 911 successor (spelling ) will be like



     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    690848 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 2/8/23 9:20 AM
    RCA
    324361 1227
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 2/8/23 6:41 PM
    watt
    222464 1353
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 1/28/23 3:45 AM
    Spyderidol
    206748 465
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/6/22 12:37 AM
    WhoopsyM
    187982 580
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 2/9/23 9:47 AM
    RCA
    133765 90
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 11/30/22 2:30 PM
    GnilM
    58668 68
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/25/22 1:02 AM
    CGX car nut
    484565 2663
    Porsche 992 GT3 2/1/23 7:03 AM
    GnilM
    480492 3807
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 1/21/23 3:51 PM
    CGX car nut
    234725 1491
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/30/22 6:31 PM
    Grant
    232595 774
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    202586 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    198697 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 2/8/23 8:02 AM
    Leawood911
    197937 2071
    Porsche GT4RS 12/30/22 1:28 AM
    JAMS
    193026 1194
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    165674 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    162388 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    158486 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    145019 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 2/8/23 8:00 PM
    Super DariusM
    143593 538
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    139834 593
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    138862 443
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    137285 722
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 2/4/23 1:10 AM
    WhoopsyM
    130110 1576
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    108686 640
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    107502 335
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 10/24/22 7:42 AM
    RCA
    105301 402
    Ferrari Wandered to the dark side 8/29/22 9:35 AM
    BiTurbo
    80482 418
    Ferrari Ferrari Roma 4/18/22 4:33 PM
    watt
    32804 438
    Motor Sp. MotoGP 6/6/22 11:49 PM
    watt
    31888 328
    165 items found, displaying 1 to 30.