Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New York Times reviews the 997TT Cabriolet

Thanks for the article.

With all due respect, reading the first two paragraphs reminds me of why I do not read the liberal rag NY Times (or NY Slimes, whichever your preference). I mean, why does this writer believe that people seeing this car would invoke envy or outrage? Or that he knows what other people "need". I stopped reading the article after this.

Ok, I'll calm down now.

^^^Oh get off the NYT's already. Liberal rag? C'mon, really? The writer was just being cheeky and you need to get out of Car Centric California for a little while. How long have you lived there?

In Manhattan, where the super rich and poor live blocks from one another (unlike California where you're spread 10's of miles from one another), and where 85% of the population is riding the subway/bus/walking not by choice, yea, seeing a $100K+ play toy can spark a little envy and sometimes outrage.

That's why the big boys on Wall St and in Mid-town are always careful about playing with their toys in the city. They know there are a lot of mad and envious mF'ers who will jack-up your ride just on GP.

Quote:
    Heist said:
    ^^^Oh get off the NYT's already. Liberal rag? C'mon, really? The writer was just being cheeky and you need to get out of Car Centric California for a little while. How long have you lived there?

In Manhattan, where the super rich and poor live blocks from one another (unlike California where you're spread 10's of miles from one another), and where 85% of the population is riding the subway/bus/walking not by choice, yea, seeing a $100K+ play toy can spark a little envy and sometimes outrage.

That's why the big boys on Wall St and in Mid-town are always careful about playing with their toys in the city. They know there are a lot of mad and envious mF'ers who will jack-up your ride just on GP.

Sorry, did I offend you and your paper?

You're kidding right? Newport Beach is right next to Costa Mesa and Santa Ana. The poorest of OC is next to the richest. The same phenomena exists in the rich areas of LA. Do ya really know what you're talking about?

sounds a lot like reverse classism to me. this guy obviously has an axe to grind with the wealthy and this was his cute little way of taking a shot at them. this worthless article proves he doesn't know s h i t about sports cars. he is an
    I D I O T.
    P.S. no offense to the original poster. just my 2 cents.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Heist said:

You're kidding right? Newport Beach is right next to Costa Mesa and Santa Ana. The poorest of OC is next to the richest. The same phenomena exists in the rich areas of LA. Do ya really know what you're talking about?

Well said, Alan....

Most guys in NYC (or anywhere) are about as provincial as the typical rube from Podunk US/EU....e.g., guys from NJ/LI are often clueless re: Greenwich....and guys who live/work in Greenwich/Manhattan often don't want to admit they know much about NJ/LI.....but same can be said about most people from any vast urban region anywhere in world...

NYC has its own language of money.....unlike any other city in US, Manhattan simply lacks an infrastruc for high-end cars (valet pkg in front of key restaurants/hotels; spacious garages; roads; weather, etc etc)...so the affluent are instead identified by the many privately-owned blk S550s w/drivers parked outside key office bldgs/restaurants waiting for owners; the Summer Th/Fri PM S550 departure from Midtown offices to a heliport to copter out to E/SHampton......and the S550 ride from Manhattan to Teterboro (or Greenwich to WhitePlains) to G550 it out of NYC...

Actually, would argue BevHills car culture is closer to that of Manhattan than many realize.....media/entertainment business is full of non-car guys (many originally from NYC) who drive some S/CL around BevHills (or have an S-Class and driver)....so, in BevHills, the more savvy bimbos learn cars are often meaningless clues and quickly learn to screen based upon one's plane.....after all, Ferraris tend to be car of choice of the aspirational dentist from places like Calabasas, LA's version of NJ/LI....

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Heist said:

I know Southern Cali pretty well. Yes, Long Beach and say Palos Verdes/Huntington Beach are like a mile apart. But by and large, you won't see the drastic contrast say between W110th and W111th. One minute, $1MM condos and $7MM townhomes a block later, a monolith public housing project the size of 1/4 city block where filled with $1000/month apartments.

Or say, Forte Green and Brooklyn Heights. In less than 10 blocks you go from one of the highest crime areas in NYC to one of the 2nd most affluent outside of Manhattan where generally your Investment Banker types and Doctors reside.

But still enough, yes, in NYC you're going to get a slightly skewed version of car culture. By and large, we don't worship cars like most of the U.S. If you're a true NY'er they're seen as either expensive toys or necessary evil that's ridiculous expensive to insure and fuel. Sort of one or the other with no real inbetween.

And if you consider the NY Times a liberal rag sheet, you must have never read NY Newsday or the NY Post.

For a non-financial daily, The Times is pretty even keeled in my opinion.

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Most guys in NYC (or anywhere) are about as provincial as the typical rube from Podunk US/EU....e.g., guys from NJ/LI are often clueless re: Greenwich....and guys who live/work in Greenwich/Manhattan often don't want to admit they know much about NJ/LI.....but same can be said about most people from any vast urban region anywhere in world...

NYC has its own language of money.....unlike any other city in US, Manhattan simply lacks an infrastruc for high-end cars (valet pkg in front of key restaurants/hotels; spacious garages; roads; weather, etc etc)...so the affluent are instead identified by the many privately-owned blk S550s w/drivers parked outside key office bldgs/restaurants waiting for owners; the Summer Th/Fri PM S550 departure from Midtown offices to a heliport to copter out to E/SHampton......and the S550 ride from Manhattan to Teterboro (or Greenwich to WhitePlains) to G550 it out of NYC...

Actually, would argue BevHills car culture is closer to that of Manhattan than many realize.....media/entertainment business is full of non-car guys (many originally from NYC) who drive some S/CL around BevHills (or have an S-Class and driver)....so, in BevHills, the more savvy bimbos learn cars are often meaningless clues and quickly learn to screen based upon one's plane.....after all, Ferraris tend to be car of choice of the aspirational dentist from places like Calabasas, LA's version of NJ/LI....

Hey WBH, congratulations on having got yourself a real computer for Christmas so you won't have to thumb your posts into a Blackberry anymore!
    I could actually read the above post.

^^^LMBAO!!!

fritz that is so funny.

You can spend a whole lot of wasted time caring what other people think about your car. Frankly, if you bought a yellow TT cab I don`t think `envy` would the emotion you would invoke anyway.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    fritz that is so funny.

It was actually intended to be at least half-serious.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/16/22 11:50 AM
    BjoernB

572337 1304
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/23/22 1:43 PM
    Rossi
    221995 1179
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/22 6:57 PM
    JoeRockhead
    110750 951
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/1/22 7:14 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    107967 405
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    89112 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31384 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    511514 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    426783 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    423720 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    387045 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    364379 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/13/22 3:48 PM
    Grant
    345213 3536
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    289108 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    137259 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/25/22 7:26 PM
    bluelines
    134256 1388
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    110617 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM