Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Testdrove and Audi S5 today....

Hello guys,

just few impressions on a test drive over an Audi S5 i had yesterday. I've used the car for a little bit less then one hour, changing from normal roads to the highway.

First impression is that the car feels heavy and that the torque of the engine, even if it's a V8, starts to act quite high up in revs.
    The car feels with no power in the region from 1500 to 3000 and only over this range the engine really starts to be alive. It's really silky smooth in the power delivery so relative to this point a plus for audi.
    Personally i consider that the quattro configuration removes a lot of sportiveness out of the car. You do not feel either the acceleration or the power you have. You feel instead a lot more in a living room on four wheels.

Relative to dinamic behaviour the steering feels a lot better then on the old S4 but still far from being immediate and feedback giving.
    There is a little bit of delay from when the driver inputs a command and when the car actually answers and i've noticed also a little bit of histeresis, don't know if relative to the car i've tested or present on every one.

In long radius corners the car feels stable and nicely balanced but on short radius ones understeer starts to be felt since the first moment. At low speed is just a feeling, at high speed is highly present.

Suspension side the car feels with a low stiffness setup, more confort oriented then i was expecting. Nice for long journeys but nothing to compare to a sporty one.

Nice interior and nice steering wheel but i've found it missing of commands i wanted on it. Nice seats with good lateral holding, at least for me. Sound...very subtle. I was expecting more.

Stay tuned for the R8 report

Re: Testdrove and Audi S5 today....

Quote:
    silvershadow said:
    Hello guys,

just few impressions on a test drive over an Audi S5 i had yesterday. I've used the car for a little bit less then one hour, changing from normal roads to the highway.

First impression is that the car feels heavy and that the torque of the engine, even if it's a V8, starts to act quite high up in revs.
    The car feels with no power in the region from 1500 to 3000 and only over this range the engine really starts to be alive. It's really silky smooth in the power delivery so relative to this point a plus for audi.
    Personally i consider that the quattro configuration removes a lot of sportiveness out of the car. You do not feel either the acceleration or the power you have. You feel instead a lot more in a living room on four wheels.

Relative to dinamic behaviour the steering feels a lot better then on the old S4 but still far from being immediate and feedback giving.
    There is a little bit of delay from when the driver inputs a command and when the car actually answers and i've noticed also a little bit of histeresis, don't know if relative to the car i've tested or present on every one.

In long radius corners the car feels stable and nicely balanced but on short radius ones understeer starts to be felt since the first moment. At low speed is just a feeling, at high speed is highly present.

Suspension side the car feels with a low stiffness setup, more confort oriented then i was expecting. Nice for long journeys but nothing to compare to a sporty one.

Nice interior and nice steering wheel but i've found it missing of commands i wanted on it. Nice seats with good lateral holding, at least for me. Sound...very subtle. I was expecting more.

Thanks so much for the review. I was considering a S5 as my dd, but I have recently become disillusioned with the gg tax and poor mileage; 14-21 mpg (stateside).

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    silvershadow said:
    Hello guys,

Thanks so much for the review. I was considering a S5 as my dd, but I have recently become disillusioned with the gg tax and poor mileage; 14-21 mpg (stateside).

A pleasure mate. Just my impressions on the car.

Thanks for the review. I was really want to know how is S5 compared to S4

Well the only thing i can tell you is that i felt the car as "heavier" relative to the S4 but i drove the S4 a lot of time ago so my rememberances are quite blurred.

Thank you for the write-up
    Interesting to hear that it felt "dead" from 1500-3000 rpm, because looking at the torque curve it should be fairly good from low rpms, it has 300 nm from idle.

Have you by any chance driven a 335i (for comparison)?

There could be a problem with throttle setup on that S5 example since the one that I tried did not suffer from "DEAD" 1500rpm feeling. In fact it offers excellent flexibility at low revs, even better IMO then 335i...

I will testdrive a 335i this or next week so i will keep you guys posted.
    Please remember that i'm driving a 996TT so the feeling i have from the testdrive are pretty much influenced by this, especially in terms of torque.

Something else i've noticed is that the quattro setup makes the car feel a little bit lazy, and maybe this is what i'm reporting as "dead engine" at low revs. I had this feeling on my old S6 too and i've found it again on the S5.
    That's just my impression but i will compare this with the 335 and let you know. (by the way i've had a go on a 335d today so just wait for the report)

KresoF1 can be right: it can be that the car i drove had a problem with throttle, especially if the car is equipped, and i do not know if this is the case, with a drive by wire one.

Looking forward to the 335i report

For me the choice would be very easy now that the 335xi Coupe is available, especially since it is 30k euro cheaper than a S5 here in Norway.

Tim,
    I tried 330xd and did not like it at all... It feels pretty strange in comparison to normal 330d with optional sport suspension. You need to try one before any purchase decision.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    There could be a problem with throttle setup on that S5 example since the one that I tried did not suffer from "DEAD" 1500rpm feeling. In fact it offers excellent flexibility at low revs, even better IMO then 335i...

Indeed sport-auto claimed that the 'weakest' version of this 4.2l audi engine is the best one with the best elasticity manners and the most drivable of them all (S4, R8).

Anyway, if all works out as the dealer promised I will be getting my S5 this Saturday. I look forward to it and I am well aware it's not a replacement for my 996tt. With a measured weight of 1721kg even 353hp can only do so much..
    Still I like the fact that this car outperforms cars from another league price and imagewise (Jaguar xkr, Aston V8, Maserati Granturismo etc) and at the same time has an inobstrusive elegance coupled with low profile and a solidity feel I very much appreciate.

I'll let u know my impressions when i get it

Thanks a lot turbolite.
    Relative to the 330xd...well i can tell you that the feeling you have experienced KresoF1 is the same one you feel when you are in habit of driving a rear wheel driven car and you go towards a 4wd with more then 20-30% of the power delivered to the front tires.

The body pitches less, because load transfer on the rear wheels is less, and so the feeling of the acceleration is less, the tendency to feel the back in the corners is not there anymore leaving space to a more understeering effect.

turbolite is right: the car outperforms a lot of these cars...but probably the feeling they give you while driving them is a lot more involving. By the way...4wd=dailydrive, at least here in switzerland

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    747983 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt

447273 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 9/18/21 4:38 PM
    BiTurbo
    165914 1096
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/17/21 8:59 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    65311 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/18/21 11:06 AM
    watt
    53928 510
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    46414 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    42899 380
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    11948 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    464271 3586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 6/25/21 2:56 PM
    the-missile
    384646 3506
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 8/12/21 4:57 PM
    Topspeed
    381107 3918
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    346958 3252
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    334907 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    316951 2646
    Porsche 992 GT3 9/17/21 4:41 PM
    lexs4
    262061 2975
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 7/20/21 3:10 PM
    Topspeed
    249596 1567
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    167360 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    143160 792
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    117821 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 7/30/21 4:07 PM