Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R

With a form of traction control stock (Kawasaki refers to it as "torque management"), a thoroughly redesigned engine and chassis, larger brakes, lighter wheels and new bodywork, the 2008 ZX-10R indicates Kawasaki is more serious than ever about its open-class flagship.

2008 Kawasaki Ninja(R) ZX(TM)-10R Features and Benefits*

Key Features

-Race-Ready Engine
    -Track-Tuned Handling
    -Advanced Digital Ignition with Torque Management
    -Compact Package with Massive Presence
    -Aggressive Aerodynamic Styling

Four-Cylinder, DOHC Engine

-Very compact, narrow and lightweight design
    -One-piece upper crankcase and cylinder casting saves more than two pounds and offers increased rigidity
    -Channels in the case route oil to various parts of the engine, eliminating oil lines and saving weight
    -About two pounds cut from the engine with a lighter crankshaft that maintains the same inertial moment
    -Oil pump reduction ratio refined for lower friction
    -Lightweight Denso radiator with tightly packed cores
    -Reshaped intake ports, exhaust ports and combustion chambers improve flow efficiency and top-end power
    -Exhaust ports are narrower at the midpoint and larger at the opening
    -Exhaust valves reduced in diameter from 25.5 to 24.5mm
    -Cam profiles feature higher lift to deliver more power at high rpm and make it easier to tune the engine for racing

Fuel Injection

-New secondary injectors improve top-end power output and power characteristics
    -Oval cross-sectioned throttle bodies replace the earlier round units, improve throttle response and allow more precise throttle control
    -Compact flat-type fuel pump from the '07 ZX-6R takes up less fuel tank space and permits the same tank volume despite the additional space required for the secondary injectors

Air intake

-Ram air intake duct was reshaped to reduce intake noise and further improve intake efficiency
    -New larger airbox with improved accessibility and ease of maintenance
    -New oval shaped velocity stacks deliver improved flow efficiency

Ignition

-Advanced ignition management system helps curtail sudden spikes in engine speed, enhancing the rider's control of torque delivery
    -Sophisticated ECU logic based on extensive rider testing
    -Monitors throttle position, gear position and rate of RPM change, then adjusts ignition advance to help regulate torque production

Exhaust system

-New exhaust system features a pre-chamber under the engine to reduce exhaust noise, and minimize silencer volume
    -Palladium catalyzer ensures the ZX-10R meets Euro-III exhaust emissions standards
    -Single orthogonal, titanium silencer, along with the pre-chamber, lowers the bike's center of gravity and improves exhaust efficiency

Six-Speed Transmission

-Lower 1st, 4th and 5th gear ratios to suit the new power characteristics, giving improved power feel in the low and high-rpm ranges
    -Harder acceleration with an one tooth larger rear sprocket - final reduction ratio of 17/41

Chassis

-Optimized stiffness balance of the unique twin-spar frame achieved by reshaping the frame's pressed parts, replacing concave pieces with convex pieces to alleviate stress concentrations
    -Wall thickness around the swingarm pivot was changed to increase rigidity
    -Ribbing added on the interior of the pivot plate where it joins the frame's upper cross member to slightly slow down the frame feedback for a more accurate feel
    -Steering tube moved 10mm forward and length changed
    -Relocated swingarm pivot for a slight front-rear weight balance change

Sub-frame

-Two-piece, aluminum die-casting with lightweight construction
    -New narrow sub-frame layout contributes to the compact and slim rear of the bike
    -Mounted to the frame's upper cross member, so rear suspension feedback is transmitted more directly to the rider

Swingarm

-Pressed beam swingarm delivers a level of feel and feedback unobtainable with a cast swingarm
    -New swingarm features a top-mounted stabilizer that contributes to the superb high-speed stability of the new chassis

Suspension

-DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) fork tube coating on the fully adjustable 43mm inverted fork improves fork action with less friction, smoother action and better road holding
    -Bottom mounted springs completely submerged in oil, offer reduced frothing and improving damping performance, fork action and road-following ability
    -New mounting location for the Uni-Trak(R) rear suspension linkage
    -Fully adjustable shock now features dual (low- and high-speed) compression damping, providing the fine-tuning needed for racing

Brakes

-New Tokico radial mount brake calipers fitted with dual pads for superb initial bite, increased control and a progressive feel
    -New 310mm petal discs with a 5.5mm disc thickness provide better heat dispersion so the brake feel remains constant and responsive during extended periods of heavy use
    -220mm rear petal disc is gripped by a single-piston caliper

Wheels

-New lighter yet stiffer squeeze-cast wheels feature more precise dimensions with less wall thickness than the previous gravity-cast units

Ergonomics

-Redesigned rear frame, tank and seat offer increased contact with the bike and provide the rider very accurate feedback regarding chassis performance and road surface
    -More flared around its top, the new tank makes it easier for the rider to rest the inside of their arm on the tank when leaning into a turn
    -New seat is narrower in the front and shorter, front to back, for a slimmer riding position, a shorter reach to the pavement and excellent feedback from the chassis
    -Special rib on the end of new throttle under the grip rubber improves grip and feel

Aerodynamic Bodywork

-Top of the front cowl is shorter but has a slight step at the front to reduce wind blast on the rider's shoulders and generates a laminar flow around the rider's helmet for less turbulence at higher speeds
    -New front fender increases cooling efficiency by directing air toward the radiator
    -Recess added to the top of the fuel tank to accommodate the helmet's chin so it's easier to tuck in behind the new, flatter windscreen
    -Smaller fairing sides reduce the influence of side winds on the bike
    -Redesigned mirrors with integrated turn signals and Talbot-type reflecting surfaces are easily removable, for easy track riding prep
    -High mounting position of mirrors provides excellent rearward visibility and helps to minimize damage if the bike falls over
    -Flush-surface of the tail's underside reduces turbulence at the rear of the bike and ensures laminar airflow around the seat
    -Larger rear inner fender keeps the bike cleaner and allows the mud flap to be smaller and less obtrusive, further improving aerodynamic qualities around the rear of the machine
    -New license plate holder and rear turn signals are quickly detachable for racing
    -New LED tail light makes the bike more visible to motorists and provides the final styling flourish to the evocative Ninja design

Race-quality steering damper

-Adjustable Öhlins steering damper with relief valve and twin-tube design, developed specifically for the Ninja ZX-10R is fitted as standard equipment to ensure stable damping performance even under racing conditions

Advanced Electronic Instrumentation

-Instrument cluster uses UV-blocking glass, so the LED displays are brighter and easier to read
    -Multifunction odometer, tripmeter, clock and lap timer/stopwatch

*Features and Specifications Subject to Change.

2008 Kawasaki Ninja(R) ZX(TM)-10R Specifications*

-Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
    -Displacement: 998cc
    -Bore x stroke: 76.0 x 55.0mm
    -Maximum torque: TBD
    -Compression ratio: 12.7:1
    -Fuel injection: DFI with 43mm Keihin throttle bodies with oval sub-throttles, two injectors per cylinder
    -Ignition: TCBI with digital advance and torque management
    -Transmission: Six speed
    -Final drive: TBD
    -Rake / trail: TBD
    -Front tire: 120/70 ZR17
    -Rear tire: 190/55 ZR17
    -Wheelbase: TBD
    -Front suspension / wheel travel: 43mm inverted fork with DLC coating, adjustable rebound and compression damping, spring preload adjustability and top-out springs / TBD
    -Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-Trak(R) with top-out spring, stepless, dual-range (high/low-speed) compression damping, stepless rebound damping, fully adjustable spring preload / TBD
    -Front brakes: Dual semi-floating 310mm petal discs with dual four-piston radial-mount calipers
    -Rear brakes: Single 220mm petal disc with aluminum single piston caliper
    -Overall length: TBD
    -Overall width: TBD
    -Overall height: TBD
    -Seat height: TBD
    -Dry weight: TBD
    -Fuel capacity: 4.5 gal.
    -Color choices: Lime Green / Flat Super Black
    -Metallic Diablo Black
    -Candy Plasma Blue / Flat Super Black
    -MSRP: $11,549

Re: 2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R

2nd picture

3rd picture

I will be replacing my 05 blade with the 08 Blade next year.

I see everyone has gone from the underseat exhausts to the megaphone look as per Suzuki GSXR.

I hear the Blade replacement will do away with the undertail as well. Probably to compliment the RC212V exhaust set-up.

Yea that is correct think they are releasing details of the bike this weekend? I was hoping that it would get a V5 but don't think this is the case.

I keep a lookout if any details are official or unofficially come out. I think Honda should make a 800cc V4 street bike. Well first get rid of the VFR800 and give us something more sporting with some MotoGP inspired design and technology.

Now that looks a LOT better than the fugly ZX-14R.

I haven't been a fan of the Kawi sportbikes in recent years, but this I like! In fact I like everything about it except the exhaust. It seems most of the sportbike companies got rid of the undertail exhausts due to heat and weight issues.

I am not too huge on Kawasaki's solid color schemes. I think the exhausts is more aesthetic and a trend these days more than anything.

The only one motorcycle I was interested is Ducati desmoseidici RR but I am disppointed with weight, 171 kg,
    Now I have Honda VFR 750 R RC30 and Ducati 916 SPS and I think that is the time to buy something new, any suggestion?

MV Agusta

Always loved the GSXR-750R. It was a perfect balance of handling with power. 600 is too small and 1000 (for me) was too big.

Quote:
    LB said:
    MV Agusta

Very nice bike, I like this F4 R 312 model.
    How much is netto in Europe (with some discount)?

Aldo, I would recommend some nice naked bikes but given at your list of full-fairing machines, I do not think you'd care too much for them. Not sure how this bike is because I've never rode it and there seems to be poor press on it but the Bimota DB5R is purely evocative. Check it out here but then again it seems like you have pretty much race replicas.

Yes, but I need some bike to ride in town sometimes, Ducati generates so much heat so in hot days it is so unpleasant to drive it (I put superbike Ohlins front forks which leakes, magnesium wheels which can crack... ). I do not like naked bikes because bad aerodinamic on the highway driving.

Have you tried Redline water wetter in the coolant. This reduced the traffic light temperature for me from 105c (fan on) to 102c.

Normal riding no difference as wind cooled

Here is the press release for the new Blade.

Honda 2008 Fireblade Press Release

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Now that looks a LOT better than the fugly ZX-14R.

agree its fugly , but its the best bike i have ever driven. amazing machine

Quote:
    ALDOGT3 said:
    The only one motorcycle I was interested is Ducati desmoseidici RR but I am disppointed with weight, 171 kg,
    Now I have Honda VFR 750 R RC30 and Ducati 916 SPS and I think that is the time to buy something new, any suggestion?

Ducati 1098S!

And I guess there is always the new Fireblade. Here is the ZX-10R under the skin.

Kawasaki need new designers

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt

452915 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 9/25/21 12:11 PM
    WhoopsyM
    167402 1111
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/17/21 8:59 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    65605 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/27/21 1:55 AM
    watt
    54733 528
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    46554 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 9/27/21 4:56 PM
    WhoopsyM
    43369 392
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    12042 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    466099 3586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 6/25/21 2:56 PM
    the-missile
    385074 3506
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 8/12/21 4:57 PM
    Topspeed
    381510 3918
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    347585 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    317144 2646
    Porsche 992 GT3 9/27/21 2:19 PM
    the-missile
    263858 2988
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/26/21 10:49 AM
    WhoopsyM
    250841 1586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    167547 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    118072 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    102055 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/5/21 4:30 PM