Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    2008 Z06 SS 6.2V SC 650HP

    2008 GT3 415HP

    For me, I will take the GT3.

    However, 650HP is very hot.

    I think it would be faster than the GT3 and even the GT2?

    What do you think and which one do you like more?

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    You can never sacrifice German quality for U.S. power (without quality).......Just think; what car would you rather own in 3 years????

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Cars are having so much power nowadays. I am sure next ten years compact GTI cars will have no less than 300hp

    Btw I d go for Porshe for choice

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    I'd be interested in both cars If I could take them for a spin around a track (repeatedly and over many weekends).

    For public roads? Corvette is GM and GT3 is Porsche. Which would you rather be seen in? LOL.


    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    I wouldn't drive the car if it had 1000 hp. It is a corvette and if you have driven one you would definitely feel the difference. Have you seen a corvette interior, the word is "generic." I hope I'm not offending anyone but the ride is subpar. I gurantee you if you drive a GT3 you would get much more respect from me than driving a vette.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Quote:
    mvn1971 said:
    Have you seen a corvette interior, the word is "generic."



    LOL. "Generic" that's a good way to cover all the bases. I would have to use words like Ford Taurus, or Ponnyak Firebird, or Kia Rio.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    I believe the current Z06 is quicker than a GT3, so the Blue Devil or SS will definately be quicker.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    sl will this mean Carrera GT owners will be slower than the new ZO6 blue devil or what ever they call it.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Why can't people appreciate BOTH cars for what they are?? So what if the Corvette has a cheap-o interior. IT'S REFLECTED IN THE PRICE!! It's not as if they're charging GT3 money, and pretending that they've got a comparable overall package.

    Snobbery rubs me the wrong way. Both cars rock. Anybody who would snub and sneer and insult 650 torque-heavy h.p. in a lightweight and capable chassis just because the interior didn't satisfy their "discriminating standards of craftsmanship" and "the image is oh-so-blue-collar" and "there's no fitted luggage available" seriously needs to get drug to the nearest tractor-pull or supercross, forced to remove their shirt exposing their pasty-white-doughiness to all the common-folk, and get fed a 12-pack of Bud cans within a 2-hour envelope.... Maybe then, you would find that some joys in life are not draped in hand-stiched free-range Connolly leather, and don't have hors d'oeuvres served at them...

    The new up-powered Z06 will be an ANIMAL. Take it for what it's worth, don't wax poetic about its lack of VIRTUE compared to your high-end toy... It just makes you look envious and bitter...

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    A 07 base model targa top Corvette C6 with 400hp and a 6spd manual is only $46,000. Its cheaper than a standard Boxster is.

    Ok it has a plain interior. Its also as plainly fast as and will lap with a 997S. And surprisingly Corvettes have a very good ride, performance parts are one third the price of Porsche parts and it has a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.

    For sheer speed, the vette wins hands down. You can always wear some fancy Versace driving gloves if you must glance at luxury stitching.

    For the price of one GT3 you can buy both a Corvette c6 base model and a base model Carrera 997. Think about that.
    The GT3 is a hose job. Nice, but tragically overpriced.

    There is a reason why Corvette out sells all Porsche models combined, even though both brands have similar demographics and buyer profiles in the us.

    If the GT3 was even a competitor on the track in showroom stock classes with a Corvette ZO6, race sanctioners would have them race in the same class, but they do not. The GT3 is not a contender except racing against itself. What fun is that?

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    I justified paying the extra dough for my 997S, for the superior quality, styling, trim, and overall feel (controls, chassis communication, etc..). You know, the reason the 911 is the 911. I justified paying the extra because I COULD AFFORD IT. But just because my wallet was adequate, doesn't take ANYTHING away from what the Corvette is.

    When you toss 6-figures at a for-fun car, it damn well be all that and a bag of chips...

    The Corvette is more of a "forget the nuance, let's haul a$$!!" kind of car. Nothing wrong with that, and people are free to choose with their wallets what combination of price/performance/quality floats their personal boat...

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    I like them all. They are each fun in their own way. I cant get too excited about Porsche's "tactile feel" or handling anymore because all of their cars made after the 964 series have changed someways for the worse and someways for the better.

    If you were used to a much lighter 911 that communicated way more directly than a 997 does and for quality tactile etc used to 911 doors that make tuning fork sounds when you closed them you would know what I mean. Those cars for build quality and communication have no comparison.

    The newest ones are obviously faster and do better lap times than the older ones, but thats what bigger tires with newer compounds and more horsepower can make happen.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Why can't people appreciate BOTH cars for what they are?? So what if the Corvette has a cheap-o interior. IT'S REFLECTED IN THE PRICE!! It's not as if they're charging GT3 money, and pretending that they've got a comparable overall package.

    Snobbery rubs me the wrong way. Both cars rock. Anybody who would snub and sneer and insult 650 torque-heavy h.p. in a lightweight and capable chassis just because the interior didn't satisfy their "discriminating standards of craftsmanship" and "the image is oh-so-blue-collar" and "there's no fitted luggage available" seriously needs to get drug to the nearest tractor-pull or supercross, forced to remove their shirt exposing their pasty-white-doughiness to all the common-folk, and get fed a 12-pack of Bud cans within a 2-hour envelope.... Maybe then, you would find that some joys in life are not draped in hand-stiched free-range Connolly leather, and don't have hors d'oeuvres served at them...

    The new up-powered Z06 will be an ANIMAL. Take it for what it's worth, don't wax poetic about its lack of VIRTUE compared to your high-end toy... It just makes you look envious and bitter...


    First of all, if you are referring to me, I'm definitely not a snob. I appreciate porsche for it's quality, workmanship, looks, and the feel of driving the car. I have always wanted a porsche. Can't say that about a vette. I would still take my GT3 over a base vette and a 997 carrera. The car is to me a work of art. Not only does it look good, it's very fast. Don't kid yourself when you bought your porsche, you could of bought a vette. You bought the porsche because it does have a rich history and yes there is some prestige driving the car. But the whole point is that this is my personal opinion, and not anyone elses. And lastly, I'm not white and pasty. I'm actually 6 feet tall and 180 lbs and in great shape. I'm certainly not ashamed of taking off my shirt.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    No, a Corvette isn't a work of art, they're just a heck of alot of fun for the money... If they didn't look so weird, I'd be tempted just for a change of pace..

    I didn't intend this thread to snowball into a wet T-shirt contest though, so I retract that comment (which was simply based on casual day-to-day observation, combined with the guys driving all the german cars at the gym typically hang out on the stairmasters, looking over at the free-weight area like it's a prison yard out-source program.. )

    It's fine not to "want one", price independent, I just dislike the trash-talking and/or implied snubbing.. The world would be an emptier place without good cheeseburgers and beer...

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    No, a Corvette isn't a work of art, they're just a heck of alot of fun for the money... If they didn't look so weird, I'd be tempted just for a change of pace..

    I didn't intend this thread to snowball into a wet T-shirt contest though, so I retract that comment (which was simply based on casual day-to-day observation, combined with the guys driving all the german cars at the gym typically hang out on the stairmasters, looking over at the free-weight area like it's a prison yard out-source program.. )

    It's fine not to "want one", price independent, I just dislike the trash-talking and/or implied snubbing.. The world would be an emptier place without good cheeseburgers and beer...

    I do agree with you. For the price of 65K, I think it would be a good deal. Considering a base carrera with options is well over 75K. No offense taken. I don't believe in being a snob or people who think they are better than other people just because they have more money. I definitely do not think there is a place for that in this world.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    I don't think it's snobbery. But if it is, who cares? Different sub-groups in any culture will all exhibit their own form of exclusiveness (snobbery).

    I'm just making this up for illustration: There are probably guys with Dodge Ram trucks who think they're better than "losers" in Ford F150 trucks.

    Pull up at certain bars in a Porsche and the women will ignore you. Pull up at that same bar with a 'vette and you'll get alot of positive attention.

    Go figure.

    Just be sure of the message you want to send, to the sub-groups you care about, by carefully choosing the _public_ gestures you make.

    Red Porsche with wings, grey 997, Black corvette with loud modded exhaust, Dodge Ram truck, Pink cadillac; Harley or Kawasaki, all send out different messages.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    My two cents:

    I don't give a <censored><beep> on the snob factor.
    I like to buy a car that drives good and looks nice (to me).
    A good friend of mine with more than 10 years of track experience, told me that on the track the new Z06 it's a very good car but on public roads it's not so nice to live with it and you make a lot of stops at the pump.
    So I am biased towards the 911 because I see it as a better trade-off for my personal needs between let's say a Ferrari 599 and the Z06 (cars that I afford to buy and maintain).

    Another car that I think could become a nice option could be the new Nissan GTR. And if I like the way it looks and the way it drives I am going to buy it for sure, even over a 911.

    Personally I don't care that once in a while I get smoked by a more powerful car. Driving a 911 makes that a rare event anyway so what's the fuss about it? I know I can buy any car I want up to 500K.

    Being smoked it's not making me or the people that are really knowing me, think less of me. It's in fact a good think to be smoked once in a while in order to keep your feet on the ground. I call it reality check.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Whether or not you get "smoked" only matters if you're buying a car for some sort of bragging-rights. Usually, more power means more fun. That gets mitigated by the rest of the vehicle, how well it satisfies dynamically and aesthetically. Then, you toss a price tag on all that which hopefully comes close to reflecting the overall VALUE of the concoction. With the 911, the dynamics and aesthetics have always been super strong, even when the power isn't over-the-top.

    It's a matter of what mix of ingredients tweeks your tweezar, and how much you're willing to pay.

    I suppose I just slap my head when I see folks potentially missing out on both potential FUN, and horizon-broadening, when they staple themselves to a certain car paradigm, and refuse to ever leave, even if its just for a moment to check something else out (with an open mind) for the hell of it..

    As somebody who's driven just about everything with 4-wheels, from Bentley to Lambo to Geo Metro, old and new, big and small, I've learned to enjoy things for what they are, period... and if it's a piece 'o crud, then so be it. If it's not your cup of tea, alrighty then.

    It's like travelling the world and visiting different countries. There's alot of great places to go, and great people to meet, even if you don't see yourself moving there any time soon..

    As for the Dodge truck guys that have Calvin decals pee-ing on Ford ovals, and vice versa, there's a good term for those folks.... idiots. I feel sorry for 'em... And it's not a class-exclusive deal either, I'd say the same about Porsche faithful symbolically pee-ing on Ferraris. Appreciate them both, pick the one you like best, and get on with it.... But it's not as if you're picking a sports team.., and if a friend offers you a drive in his new Corvette, or Ferrari, or used Camaro for that matter, grab the keys and see if its fun... Alot of times simple sleds offer the kind of careless fun you just never get in higher-brow stuff.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    69bossnine: I was talking about being smoked because all that I read here it's that the Z06 it's faster and cheaper than a Porsche. It's so childish IMO to think so.
    It's not only about specs or price. For any given street car not only for the Z06 or for the 911.
    We buy a package that fit our needs, no matter what we buy.
    That was my point.

    For instance no matter how great a car is if I have a dog I would need rear seats and any two seats car is no use to me.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Yes, it's childish to regard power purely in a competitive sense. But on the other hand, power, out on the road with nobody else around but yourself, is very rewarding and exhilerating. The more, the better, usually, with everything else remaining equal... That doesn't make the Z06 a better car per se, it just gives it a leg up in one category of fun. It falls short in other categories.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    A 07 base model targa top Corvette C6 with 400hp and a 6spd manual is only $46,000. Its cheaper than a standard Boxster is.

    Ok it has a plain interior. Its also as plainly fast as and will lap with a 997S. And surprisingly Corvettes have a very good ride, performance parts are one third the price of Porsche parts and it has a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.

    For sheer speed, the vette wins hands down. You can always wear some fancy Versace driving gloves if you must glance at luxury stitching.

    For the price of one GT3 you can buy both a Corvette c6 base model and a base model Carrera 997. Think about that.
    The GT3 is a hose job. Nice, but tragically overpriced.

    There is a reason why Corvette out sells all Porsche models combined, even though both brands have similar demographics and buyer profiles in the us.

    If the GT3 was even a competitor on the track in showroom stock classes with a Corvette ZO6, race sanctioners would have them race in the same class, but they do not. The GT3 is not a contender except racing against itself. What fun is that?



    Let me clear the ground with a bulldozer of skepticism.

    JIm, the reason why many here will pick the Porsche over the Corvette has little or nothing to do with quality or any other car attribute. It all has to do with marque. Put a Porsche badge on the Corvette and there would be a stampede to the Corvette show room. It is what it is and Porsche makes a ton of money exploiting it.

    This also applies to Ferrari and Lambo. I acknowledge it and embrace it.

    Regarding finding something good in all cars and thus a car enthusiast, I cannot really argue with that. However, that approach tends to make us less discriminating which invariably leads to unfulfillment. Cars to me are either transportation or emotional viagra. Decide what you want and need and buy it. If you need both buy both.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Man, why do us Porschephiles have to suffer at the hands of Chevrolet Corvettes? Why doesn't Porsche AG sell us a Cayman with a 3.8L engine? That would wipe the grins off all those Corvette owners.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    NBERRY hit this one right on the head. You are either into cars or you are into badges. The two are NOT the same. One is phony the other is real...

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    Man, why do us Porschephiles have to suffer at the hands of Chevrolet Corvettes? Why doesn't Porsche AG sell us a Cayman with a 3.8L engine? That would wipe the grins off all those Corvette owners.



    Sorry brother but a Cayman sure isn't going to wipe the smile off my face no matter what engine its got in it

    And if it had the 3.8L, wouldn't that make it a less expensive 911? That would be like Porsche shooting themselves in the foot

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    Man, why do us Porschephiles have to suffer at the hands of Chevrolet Corvettes? Why doesn't Porsche AG sell us a Cayman with a 3.8L engine? That would wipe the grins off all those Corvette owners.



    Sorry brother but a Cayman sure isn't going to wipe the smile off my face no matter what engine its got in it

    And if it had the 3.8L, wouldn't that make it a less expensive 911? That would be like Porsche shooting themselves in the foot



    Totally agree.

    OTOH, a Cayman with the CarreraGT's V10, now THAT'S another story.

    As for the Blue Devil versus the GT3, I'd take the BD, assuming I have a 911TURBO (which I do ). Indeed, a 911Turbo, easily tweaked, trumps any Corvette.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    As for the Blue Devil versus the GT3, I'd take the BD, assuming I have a 911TURBO (which I do ). Indeed, a 911Turbo, easily tweaked, trumps any Corvette.



    throw slicks (even drag radials) & twin turbo's on a vette and it becomes a different story

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    The sound a corvette makes is like the sound of kissing your sister.

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    GT3 ... the car isn`t only hp ... if that is not true , then the vette SS better than Carrera GT ... stop comparing chevrolets with 911 please .

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Quote:
    Moogle said:
    The sound a corvette makes is like the sound of kissing your sister.



    So you're saying you know what that sounds like?

    Re: 2008 Z06 SS vs GT3

    Seems a lot of corvette owners troll the porsche sites, must be an identity crisis, hmmm , maybe its not having the badge. Guy I know has a Z06, says his car is a "hollin muthah" , nuff said I guess.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 10/25/21 12:29 AM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    479559 1291
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 10/18/21 10:58 PM
    Leawood911
    174780 1150
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 10/14/21 6:25 PM
    bluelines
    68521 382
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 10/26/21 8:39 AM
    Porker
    61975 646
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    47863 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/26/21 3:26 AM
    Leawood911
    47366 447
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    13075 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    470899 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    387858 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/20/21 6:01 PM
    Topspeed
    383257 3919
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    349465 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 10/8/21 11:41 AM
    xpto
    319100 2647
    Porsche 992 GT3 10/22/21 10:59 AM
    reginos
    271052 3051
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    252950 1587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    168649 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    119089 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    103407 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 10/9/21 1:11 PM
    CGX car nut
    94413 1231
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    82863 209
    Lambo Aventador and SV 8/27/21 2:33 PM
    Topspeed
    72842 698
    AMG AMG GT R 7/8/21 3:07 PM
    CGX car nut
    72650 824
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    51457 596
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 10/26/21 11:17 PM
    Leawood911
    49585 1221
    Others Bugatti Chiron 10/16/21 4:53 PM
    crayphile
    43112 486
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/24/21 6:30 PM
    Porker
    40588 531
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    39447 615
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 7/7/21 8:38 PM
    Jim_in_Iowa
    30794 394
    Ferrari 488 Replacement 4/17/21 8:28 PM
    Rossi
    27733 370
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 10/25/21 8:03 PM
    WhoopsyM
    27417 785
    Porsche GT4RS 10/26/21 7:33 PM
    WhoopsyM
    27232 434
    256 items found, displaying 1 to 30.