Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    According to the latest issue of Autobild the 997 MK II (2008) will get the following technical upgrades:

    > 7 gear manual gearbox (keeps us manual guys on par with the auto-tranny guys )

    > more HP (no numbers mentioned)

    > reworked chassis (no details mentioned, but it may refer to the retractable front spoiler- see other thread)

    You may take it with a grain of salt, but AB talks about the changes like they are facts rather than rumors.

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    That must be a first 7 speed manual???

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    manual tranny with 7 gears, you have got to be kidding me?

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    Quote:
    luwalira said:
    manual tranny with 7 gears, you have got to be kidding me?




    7 gearings would only be good for refinements on the track; since tracking voids warrenty it won't be useful to the street car. The car which has so much hp/tq it really only needs a two speed gearbox: 1st and 3rd gear (ok and 6th to get top speed).

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    It's almost impossible to work a 7 gear manual that isn't sequential. Think of the gearing, the shifts would be loopity loop?

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    7 gear manual - sounds fishy.

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    Quote:
    Hurst said:
    It's almost impossible to work a 7 gear manual that isn't sequential. Think of the gearing, the shifts would be loopity loop?


    I was going to post the exact same thing. At the very first blown engine due to a driver downshifting 3 gears instead of 1, we're going to see the good ol' 6-gear tranny rise from the dead in 30 seconds flat.

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    Quote:
    boxsterboy said:
    That must be a first 7 speed manual???



    Indeed the article emphasizes that it will be the first 7 spd. manual ever, but maybe they are just mixing it up with the 7spd PDK auto tranny

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    Yes, this doesn't look like manual to me, much more like PDK (DSG equiv)...

    http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=56...=1&sparte=4

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Yes, this doesn't look like manual to me, much more like PDK (DSG equiv)...

    http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=56...=1&sparte=4


    Exactly. It must be a DSG type of tranny. I don't think there are alot of people who wants to fiddle with a 7 speed manual. There is simply too much work with the clutch which means that there is a big chance of people not being able to reach the claimed 0-100km/h or 0-200km/h times.

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    More news from yesterday:

    New Transmission Will Replace Tiptronic

    For many years now Porsche has set the sports car benchmark. Their engineering department has taken what is considered the worst layout for a sports car, a rear-mounted engine hanging out the back, and made it work to a degree that front- and mid-engined sports cars are often left in its dust. Almost more impressive, however, the 911 doesnt compromise from the perspective of drivability, resulting in a car that can hang with everything from a Viper to a Ferrari on the racetrack but, on the way home, offers comfort, convenience features, reliability and fuel economy matched by few rivals. But as good as their current cars are, Porsche has one weak point: its less-than-sporting automatic transmission.

    Shared with Volkswagen, the Porsche-developed slushbox is the well-known torque-converter equipped Tiptronic transmission. Outselling the manual by quite a margin, this automatic gearbox was one of the first manual-shifted automatics on the market, and while it was heralded as excellent and ingenious in its day, the onset of newer, more advanced (and simply better) technology has left it in the proverbial dust. Recognizing this, Volkswagen contracted BorgWarner to build a newer, better box for use in the various high-performance Audi models. What BorgWarner came back with was the Direct-Shift Gearbox, or DSG.

    Sporting two clutches in place of the Tiptronics torque converter, the DSG sequential-manual was greeted with open arms by the enthusiast community. Always engaged, the DSG unit uses an inner and an outer clutch to engage and disengage cogs. The outer pack drives gears 1, 3, and 5; while the inner clutch pack drives 2, 4, and 6. Using complicated electronic algorithms, the drivers selected gear is engaged by one clutch pack while the previous gear is disengaged by the other. The result is lag-free, seamless, predictable shifts that can be easily tuned for different situations by simply changing the clutch packs modulation. Compared to the slow, jerky, and cumbersome Tiptronic gearbox, the DSG is light years ahead and miles better.

    So, it makes logical sense that Porsche should choose to assimilate that technology at the first opportunity (especially now that theyre a majority owner of VW group); which they did. But in grand Porsche over-engineering fashion, theyve gone one better; quite literally. Developing their own variant of the DSG box, Porsche filed a patent indicating the company will be unleashing the worlds first seven speed DSG gearbox upon the public.

    Expected to see duty in everything from the lowly (relatively) Cayman and Boxster models all the way up to the upcoming Carrera GT-based GT1 racecar, it turns out the development program is surprisingly far along, and Porsche apparently hoped to have had the gearbox completed for use in the new 911 Turbo.

    This said, they havent publisized even a tentative date of release, although, it an announcement is expected soon


    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    I would hate to have ordered a 997TT tip, because despite the magic perf they achieved, you have nothing more than a model 'in-waiting' for the DSG whose development was delayed...
    Anyway, manual for me :-) Always !

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    I doubt there is going to be a 7 speed manual. BMW couldn't figure out how to make one and are bringing out a 6 speed manual as an alternative to the 7 speed SMG on the M5.

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    More news from yesterday:

    New Transmission Will Replace Tiptronic

    For many years now Porsche has set the sports car benchmark. Their engineering department has taken what is considered the worst layout for a sports car, a rear-mounted engine hanging out the back, and made it work to a degree that front- and mid-engined sports cars are often left in its dust. Almost more impressive, however, the 911 doesnt compromise from the perspective of drivability, resulting in a car that can hang with everything from a Viper to a Ferrari on the racetrack but, on the way home, offers comfort, convenience features, reliability and fuel economy matched by few rivals. But as good as their current cars are, Porsche has one weak point: its less-than-sporting automatic transmission.

    Shared with Volkswagen, the Porsche-developed slushbox is the well-known torque-converter equipped Tiptronic transmission. Outselling the manual by quite a margin, this automatic gearbox was one of the first manual-shifted automatics on the market, and while it was heralded as excellent and ingenious in its day, the onset of newer, more advanced (and simply better) technology has left it in the proverbial dust. Recognizing this, Volkswagen contracted BorgWarner to build a newer, better box for use in the various high-performance Audi models. What BorgWarner came back with was the Direct-Shift Gearbox, or DSG.

    Sporting two clutches in place of the Tiptronics torque converter, the DSG sequential-manual was greeted with open arms by the enthusiast community. Always engaged, the DSG unit uses an inner and an outer clutch to engage and disengage cogs. The outer pack drives gears 1, 3, and 5; while the inner clutch pack drives 2, 4, and 6. Using complicated electronic algorithms, the drivers selected gear is engaged by one clutch pack while the previous gear is disengaged by the other. The result is lag-free, seamless, predictable shifts that can be easily tuned for different situations by simply changing the clutch packs modulation. Compared to the slow, jerky, and cumbersome Tiptronic gearbox, the DSG is light years ahead and miles better.

    So, it makes logical sense that Porsche should choose to assimilate that technology at the first opportunity (especially now that theyre a majority owner of VW group); which they did. But in grand Porsche over-engineering fashion, theyve gone one better; quite literally. Developing their own variant of the DSG box, Porsche filed a patent indicating the company will be unleashing the worlds first seven speed DSG gearbox upon the public.

    Expected to see duty in everything from the lowly (relatively) Cayman and Boxster models all the way up to the upcoming Carrera GT-based GT1 racecar, it turns out the development program is surprisingly far along, and Porsche apparently hoped to have had the gearbox completed for use in the new 911 Turbo.

    This said, they havent publisized even a tentative date of release, although, it an announcement is expected soon




    The Bugatti DSG is the first and only 7 gear DSG ever built (also belonging to VW group). So it wouldnt be a world first for Porsche. Trouble with the Bugatti DSG is the weight which is commanded by the fact that it has to support 1000NM of tourque. This is not the case with Porsches so they are working on a much smaller and lighter version...

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    Quote:
    turbolite said:
    The Bugatti DSG is the first and only 7 gear DSG ever built (also belonging to VW group). So it wouldnt be a world first for Porsche.



    That's exactly the confusing element in the AB article.
    They are saying: "das weltweit erste Siebengang-Schaltgetriebe" = world-wide first seven gear manual gearbox.
    So the world first claim only could be true if it's a manual gearbox. But it may be just another example of bad journalism
    Here's the link to the short article: http://www.autobild.de/erlkoenige/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=11902

    Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    turbolite said:
    The Bugatti DSG is the first and only 7 gear DSG ever built (also belonging to VW group). So it wouldnt be a world first for Porsche.



    That's exactly the confusing element in the AB article.
    They are saying: "das weltweit erste Siebengang-Schaltgetriebe" = world-wide first seven gear manual gearbox.
    So the world first claim only could be true if it's a manual gearbox. But it may be just another example of bad journalism
    Here's the link to the short article: http://www.autobild.de/erlkoenige/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=11902



    Schaltgetriebe means manual in German, we can agree on that. A 7-speed manual... That will be cool !

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    690558 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 2/4/23 10:00 PM
    nberry
    323451 1205
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 2/5/23 10:45 AM
    GnilM
    221890 1346
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 1/28/23 3:45 AM
    Spyderidol
    206454 465
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/6/22 12:37 AM
    WhoopsyM
    187722 580
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/20/23 10:57 PM
    Pilot
    133112 58
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 11/30/22 2:30 PM
    GnilM
    58497 68
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/25/22 1:02 AM
    CGX car nut
    484101 2663
    Porsche 992 GT3 2/1/23 7:03 AM
    GnilM
    479851 3807
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 1/21/23 3:51 PM
    CGX car nut
    234384 1491
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/30/22 6:31 PM
    Grant
    232346 774
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    202348 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    198480 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 2/5/23 2:14 PM
    cnc
    197483 2068
    Porsche GT4RS 12/30/22 1:28 AM
    JAMS
    192656 1194
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    165238 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    162234 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    158346 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    144891 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 2/5/23 3:02 PM
    M3ike
    142752 527
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    139695 593
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    138718 443
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    137174 722
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 2/4/23 1:10 AM
    WhoopsyM
    129793 1576
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    108541 640
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    107392 335
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 10/24/22 7:42 AM
    RCA
    105170 402
    Ferrari Wandered to the dark side 8/29/22 9:35 AM
    BiTurbo
    80346 418
    Ferrari Ferrari Roma 4/18/22 4:33 PM
    watt
    32682 438
    Motor Sp. MotoGP 6/6/22 11:49 PM
    watt
    31760 328
    164 items found, displaying 1 to 30.