Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Back from Stuttgart...a little report

We were hoping to get official confirmation of a 996 Turbo Cabriolet or at least of the GT3 RS street version.
    Unfortunately we didn't get any confirmation and this time we even had the impression, that Porsche has put a ban on all preliminary information about new products.
    We even had problems when we entered Werk 1.
    One new security guard who didn't know us from the past was pretty unfriendly. We even showed him the official press id but he continued to be rude and to speak to us as to two adolescents and not two customers who spent hundreds of thousands at Porsche over the past years.
    At our stay at Werk 1, we were not allowed to take too many pictures but I have to confess that I didn't see much new.
    When we left Werk 1, we left it with a mixed feeling. And again, this security guard at the entrance did a fine job insulting us again. A few moments later we relaxed because we were thinking in what car he is driving home.
    But Porsche should definetely take a close look at this guy at the Werk 1 entrance because most customers won't appreciate this kind of treatment.
    We drove around on the outlook for the 996 Turbo Cabriolet and the GT3 RS but absolutely no such thing. We know that a lot of 996 Turbo Cabriolets were sighted at Werk 3 but this time, nothing. No sign whatsoever of a GT3 RS. We continued on our way to Weissach and Porsche Motorsport.

After visiting Weissach, we weren't much wiser than before.
    We saw a lot of prototypes driving around, including the new Boxster (987), probably the new 996 (997) and very likely the Cayenne Turbo Powerkit edition with the new exhaust system.
    But no sign of a 996 Turbo Cabriolet or GT3 RS street version.
    Very disappointing.

So as much you guys awaited some surprises, I'm sorry to tell you that there are none at this time.
    After staying in Weissach for more than one hour, one thing is for sure: no new Boxster and no new 996 for the new MY 2004.
    So owners who just bought their cars recently can relax.

Here some pictures we took, nothing spectacular but please make your own impression.

Picture 2

Enjoy.

Picture 3

Enjoy.

Picture 4

Sorry for the bad quality.

Re: Picture 4

Enjoy, again...bad quality, sorry.

Re: Back from Stuttgart...a little report

I loooove that orange color on that Gt3. Was that an exclusive dept. color?

-Matt

Thanks for the report and Pictures RC.

IMO:

According to what you said about not sighting any new products, may be Porsche is rethinking their strategy to come up with more HP in the future products. Perhaps they want to continue on with the current products (996) untill a major release of new products?

Any thoughts anyone?

I think waiting for a bigger update is the best way to do it. Otherwise buying a porsche is like buying a computer. For a little while, its the best there is. But then a bit later a new model comes out with a little speed bump and now you feel your car could be better....I guess it encourages buying more and more porsches, which porsche would like, but I think the buyer would feel more secure knowing he has the best turbo or C2 or boxster for 4 or 5 years.

-Matt

Quote:
    I loooove that orange color on that Gt3. Was that an exclusive dept. color?

-Matt

I have to disappoint you. This is an ordinary 996 C2.

RC!

Great report! But I'm confused as to what happened to all those 996 Turbo Cabs that Ben FR was referring to?!?!? I am a little disappointed that you did not see at least one...but that is not your fault. Oh well. I guess we will have to wait until Ben FR lets us see his pictures or Porsche officially releases it.

I am surprised that Porsche gave you such a rude welcome. When I went there on my tour of the factory, I was treated like a VIP. And I am no where near Porsche customer territory...so that makes my treatment even the more impressive. They are a little stingy on their product literature though. I had to practically wrestle one of the desk ladies at the Zentrum across the street for brochures. Wouldn't have minded though. She was a looker!!! I wish I could have spoken German a letter better than I do and not sounded like an American moron!! LOL!!!

Nice color orange...I agree. Must be Exclusive for it does not look like Zanzibar Red Metallic.

RC...So did the 997 and new Boxster sound any different when they drove by you?? Did they look, sound, and drive around promising? Just curious to see if the next 911 and Boxster are going to be the end all. Was that Cayenne mule with the exhaust and powerkit sounding any different that the regular Turbo pepper??

Robbie, Porsche wasn't rude at all to us.
    We got a coffee and a Diet Coke and we had a nice chat.
    Just that stupid security guard at the entrance of Werk 1 who upset us.
    We decided not to file a complaint about him because we don't want him to loose his job because he just had a bad day.
    But if it happens another time...
    A fax here, a fax there and he's probably gone.
    He should kiss our feet that we're good guys and don't take such things too seriously.

Regarding the 987, 997 and Cayenne Turbo Powerkit:
    the Boxster and 911 looked a little bit weird, they were actually camouflaged with the current design (but if one looked carefully, you could easily see the difference). Sound on the 997 mule we saw was pretty nice, very throaty. But this doesn't mean anything since it is a test mule.
    The Cayenne Turbo with the powerkit sounded much throatier but not as loud as I wished it sounded. Similar to my E55 maybe. I also had the impression this car had the PCCB but maybe I didn't see it well.
    No pictures because two Porsche software engineers were sitting right next to us drinking their coffee and we didn't want to cause trouble.

My question is...why would someone get a normal carrera with the roll cage and sport seats and Gt3 wing and sweet wheels and awesome orange color....and not just get a Gt3?

But man I love that color...would be cool on a boxster...

-M

The 996tt Cabrio is definitely in heavy production, without a doubt. Anyone who is reading this post, let me assure you without a doubt that the 996tt will come in HEAVY. I am going to see about posting pictures...

Quote:
    The 996tt Cabrio is definitely in heavy production, without a doubt. Anyone who is reading this post, let me assure you without a doubt that the 996tt will come in HEAVY. I am going to see about posting pictures...

We already posted a picture, check this forum again.
    More to come...but if you can provide even more, we'd be very thankful.

Quote:

I'll find out about being able to post or not. If I can, I will.

Quote:
    Quote:

I'll find out about being able to post or not. If I can, I will.

Thanks.

the color looks like "orangerotperlcolor" (german name) to me, it was avaiable until MY 2001 if i remember it right (and probably still is thru exclusive)

thanks for the report RC!!

the half-painted sport techno wheels are interesting, but maybe a little OTT.

cheers; zz

That is good to hear RC. I am glad it was just an unusual circumstance. Yes, please...don't have the guy fired!! Give him another chance! And next time, let him know the deal!!! This vote of confidence in Porsche's desire to please all visitors makes me feel a little better. I want to visit the facotry again with in the next year!!

Thanks for the scoop on the next Porsches!! PCCB for the Cayenne?! Interesting! It will not be able to have cross drilled rotors due to the off road needs of the Pepper so it will be neat to see how they engineer around that.

Again thanks and can not wait until the next Rennteam.com scoop!!

Quote:

Hello RC,
    at least once a year I pass by Zuffenhausen. I know that Weissach isn't that far, but I've never been there before.

1) Is it possible to visit something as an individual, or is all top-secret.

2/ What are the places where eventually you can take pics ?

3) Where is Porsche Motorsport ?

I've seen that in Ludwigsburg Porsche is building a new block for their sales people. In Francorchamps I spoke to Porsche people and they said that there was a Carrera GT to see !

Best wishes,
    Rufie.

Quote:
    Quote:

Hello RC,
    at least once a year I pass by Zuffenhausen. I know that Weissach isn't that far, but I've never been there before.

I've seen that in Ludwigsburg Porsche is building a new block for their sales people. In Francorchamps I spoke to Porsche people and they said that there was a Carrera GT to see !

Best wishes,
    Rufie.

Hi Rufie,

1. as an individual, it is impossible to enter Weissach.
    There is a possibility to visit Weissach officially, if you're interested I can send you the necessary information provided by the Porsche Travel Club.
    2. there are various places from where you can see Weissach but the most interesting areas are covered by trees and/or buildings. However there are some possibilities but we want a good relationship with Porsche and so we decided to refrain from getting access to areas where we can see more.
    I'm sorry I can't go into details but I'm sure you understand that I can't give indications how to bypass Weissach security or how to get nearer to the buildings/test track without being in trouble. I won't do that and I can assure you: the security service is everywhere, even in the surroundings.
    The pictures we showed are taken from a pretty far distance with a special digital camera and around 1500 mm digital zoom.
    3.Porsche Motorsport is exactly next to Weissach Developing.
    You can access Porsche Motorsport through Weissach Development or seperately through another entrance.

We were in Ludwigsburg at Porsche Marketing but we didn't see any Carrera GT. However, I heard the same story, so maybe we've just been unlucky.

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

Hello RC,

Best wishes,
    Rufie.

Hi Rufie,

1. as an individual, it is impossible to enter Weissach.
    There is a possibility to visit Weissach officially, if you're interested I can send you the necessary information provided by the Porsche Travel Club.
    2. there are various places from where you can see Weissach but the most interesting areas are covered by trees and/or buildings. However there are some possibilities but we want a good relationship with Porsche and so we decided to refrain from getting access to areas where we can see more.
    I'm sorry I can't go into details but I'm sure you understand that I can't give indications how to bypass Weissach security or how to get nearer to the buildings/test track without being in trouble. I won't do that and I can assure you: the security service is everywhere, even in the surroundings.
    The pictures we showed are taken from a pretty far distance with a special digital camera and around 1500 mm digital zoom.
    3.Porsche Motorsport is exactly next to Weissach Developing.
    You can access Porsche Motorsport through Weissach Development or seperately through another entrance.

We were in Ludwigsburg at Porsche Marketing but we didn't see any Carrera GT. However, I heard the same story, so maybe we've just been unlucky.

Thanks RC,
    I understand.

Just one more question :
    the rims on the pics above, are they stock from Porsche ?

Rufie...

...yes, the wheels are stock wheels from Porsche (Techno Sport rims as far as I remember). They look a little bit weird because of the painting. Look carefully and you'll understand.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804522 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448916 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266610 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90258 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6882 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886347 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835031 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM