Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Porsche models

According to the Autocar, after a conversation with Matthias Mueller, nothing is definite yet.

Also M. Mueller from this very short report comes across as someone with his own mind.

We have to wait then!

new models.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Re: New Porsche models

Finally some good news! It is the right way to first put the major strategy in place ahead of going into new markets! Sounds promising and professional

That had to be expected. Good decision, btw.

Good!..... Now I hope they show the same restraint with regards to their supposed F1 exploit.

reginos:

According to the Autocar, after a conversation with Matthias Mueller, nothing is definite yet.

Also M. Mueller from this very short report comes across as someone with his own mind.

We have to wait then!

new models.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Lots of decisions have been already taken, Mr. Müller just wants to prove that he is the boss now and he also doesn't want to give the impression, that Michael Macht was actually behind the molding of Porsche's model future. Smiley

Don't forget that Winterkorn and Piech already started an evaluation of the future Porsche model range some while ago and Mr. Müller is very close to both.

As far as I know, two new models already have the green light: the Panamera Coupe and the smaller Cayenne.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I am all for a front engined coupe in the 928 spirit.

I also hope the smaller Cayenne is not a mostly utility car but more of a sportscar based on the idea of the elevated 959 of the Paris-Dakar era.

Also if they go below Boxster, let's hope they don't follow the Z4, SLK, TT type of cars but they make something like a "Lotus Elise by Porsche"

Of course they follow market trends not what fans write on the internet!

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Maybe they should. If someone at porsche spent just one week reading this forum they'd get more costumer feedback than if they assembled a bunch of focus groups for research. The internet is a powerful tool, and having so many people at the same time talking about their brand is something any company would want, specially when things are being looked at with perspective as it happens here on RT

Enmanuel:
    reginos:

Maybe they should. If someone at porsche spent just one week reading this forum they'd get more costumer feedback than if they assembled a bunch of focus groups for research. The internet is a powerful tool, and having so many people at the same time talking about their brand is something any company would want, specially when things are being looked at with perspective as it happens here on RT

They do read forums and employees are (possibly) members on behalf of PAG. They get all the feedback they need IMO, in various ways. If you consider the successful diversification into SUV and luxury limousine you can see they do their homework.

--

"Form follows function"

Yes Reginos, YES! Smiley

"I also hope the smaller Cayenne is not a mostly utility car but more of a sportscar based on the idea of the elevated 959 of the Paris-Dakar era." - this is what I would love to see

And 100% agree on: they make something like a "Lotus Elise by Porsche"

I wonder which is the real percentage of ALL Porsche owners that WRITE on forums... My bet: no more than 5-6%...

--

There is no try. Just do.

i will repost the above in case Porsche people are reading

smaller Cayenne is not a mostly utility car but more of a sportscar based on the idea of the elevated 959 of the Paris-Dakar era." - this is what I would love to see

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

If Porsche would have based their plans on RT, it wouldn´t exist anymore Smiley We are a bunch of die hard fans who are far from their main goal which is sell sell sell.

Boxster and Cayman wouldn´t exist, Cayenne and Panamera either, instead, we all would have our 911 dream car, a light weight Carrera with 500Hp / 1100Kg and a bunch of other based sport series that simply don´t sell as much as a good and heavy diesel SUV, or a sexy Boxster full speced.

Back in the 90 my choice would have been a 911 as sports car and 5 series BMW for DD, now it´s more like Cayenne Diesel for DD and the Lambo or Ferrari for overall fun and intoxicating ownership experience. I still have my 911 and love it, but don´t know if it will remain my next sports car !!!!!!

J.Seven

"I wanted to build cars that were not something to everyone but meant everything to some." - Ferry Porsche

J.Seven:

If Porsche would have based their plans on RT, it wouldn´t exist anymore Smiley We are a bunch of die hard fans who are far from their main goal which is sell sell sell.

Boxster and Cayman wouldn´t exist, Cayenne and Panamera either, instead, we all would have our 911 dream car, a light weight Carrera with 500Hp / 1100Kg and a bunch of other based sport series that simply don´t sell as much as a good and heavy diesel SUV, or a sexy Boxster full speced.

Not true at all. Smiley

I always wanted a Cayenne and a Panamera but a little bit different. Porsche took a lot of feedback from RT and other car forums to correct certain flaws (they call them "features" Smiley). There are also enough die hard Porsche fans here in the forum who actually own a Cayenne or Panamera.

Maybe you only read the forums/posts you are interested in and ignore the others ? Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Spyderidol:

"I wanted to build cars that were not something to everyone but meant everything to some." - Ferry Porsche

things have really changed. At least the 911 is still somewhat true to that.

Spyderidol:

Nowadays is more like the contrary, poor guy would have an heart attack with Cajuns projects and their older brothers.
    Having said that, I´m the guy who likes the Diesel Cayennes and the 1100Kg / 500hp Carrera too Smiley

J.Seven

Atzporsche:

i will repost the above in case Porsche people are reading

smaller Cayenne is not a mostly utility car but more of a sportscar based on the idea of the elevated 959 of the Paris-Dakar era." - this is what I would love to see

That's definitely something I would buy! 

--

"When you design a car around the customer's wishes, you get cup holders. When you design a car around innovative thinking, you get a Porsche."

RC:
    J.Seven:

Not true at all. Smiley

I always wanted a Cayenne and a Panamera but a little bit different. Porsche took a lot of feedback from RT and other car forums to correct certain flaws (they call them "features" Smiley). There are also enough die hard Porsche fans here in the forum who actually own a Cayenne or Panamera.

Maybe you only read the forums/posts you are interested in and ignore the others ? Smiley Smiley

I think all of us here want Porsche to build a car that fits they want.  Unfortunately, some of us want Porsche to build only the car they want and criticize all else Smiley.  For me, I want Porsche to build sports cars like 911/Boxster/Cayman, and something like a RS2 because it is what fits my life now. 

--

93' Guard Red 968 Coupe

Monster:
    RC:
    J.Seven:

Not true at all. Smiley

I think all of us here want Porsche to build a car that fits they want.  Unfortunately, some of us want Porsche to build only the car they want and criticize all else Smiley.  For me, I want Porsche to build sports cars like 911/Boxster/Cayman, and something like a RS2 because it is what fits my life now. 

I don't have a problem with Porsche building different models, just as long as the end result is true to the brand dna. I didn't used to like the old cayenne (heck i didn't used to be much of a porsche person) but the new one is much much better, when you step in you feel the years of porsche experience at work. What they need to do is be careful not to get lost in model designations and stay true to their driving dynamics, their premium status and their design history. If they start making models just for the heck of it then they loose, also if they stray from the classic proportions and design cues they will loose. Its a tough job because the 911 is a tried and tested formula, and to carry something so balanced into other classes is a challenge. 

One thing I will say about all the models is that they don't need to develop a car for every existing market and crossover segment just because everyone else is doing it. Porsche stuck with the 911 layout while everybody else was doing something different and it turned out great. I say they focus on certain classes and perfect those, don't just make a bunch of bad models, perfect the important ones first. Quality over quantity.

Completely agree!

I just want to add the following: The real challenge with the 911 is to find a balance between remaining faithful to it's overall concept, but at the same time being able to modernize its design without chasing away the traditional 911 client base.

Porsche has traditionally done this by taking only little steps in updating their designs. Some of those steps have been very small indeed, and have drawn some sometimes justifiable criticism.

The danger of this approach is that the design looses freshness. It runs the risk of looking outdated. Traditional...but outdated.

Lets see what Walter brings to the table. (although he wont have a hand in the 991)

Spyderidol:

Porsche has traditionally done this by taking only little steps in updating their designs. Some of those steps have been very small indeed, and have drawn some sometimes justifiable criticism.

The danger of this approach is that the design looses freshness. It runs the risk of looking outdated. Traditional...but outdated.

This was also due to the same fundamentals underneath for those consecutive generations. In fact it is somewhat impressive how the model, from the initial 901/911 to G-model, 964 and 993 evolved over the time yet remained the same basis for chassis and engine.

Considering the success of 996 and 997 one can see that Porsche is able to perform the necessary changes when they can build the car from scratch. My personal issue with its contemporary design is the incorporation of fashionable elements that, in my opinion, do not fit on a Porsche and artificially make the car look dated once the successor is on the market. That is more the case though on the remaining models, less so on the 997, and Porsche must have a reason in doing so on the latter.

100% in agreement. No "fashionable" items please, but modern lines are welcome.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

628414 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 8/6/22 1:00 AM
    W8MM
    264049 1183
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 10/2/22 12:14 AM
    watt
    158931 1176
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/30/22 10:36 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    149798 418
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/4/22 9:54 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    132306 572
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    67399 1
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 10/3/22 2:01 PM
    Grant
    2937 20
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM