Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Social implications of the car you drive...

    This came up in another post but it's a good question. It's something I struggle with. I grew up in So. California and there, the more exotic the better. Here in NC, less so. And I worry about my patients seeing my cars (997T, RR SC, etc). And our European buddies - same thing, I think. How often do you let your friends/family/patients/neighbors affect your car buying decision?

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    I'm also from Southern California. I don't let anybody affect my car buying decision. At all. If anything, however, the cheaper the car you have, the worst the social implications, here in LA.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Dont worry about it. You can waste more time thinking what "they" think than "they" actually spend thinking about what you drive.

    Unless you have a camera crew from CBS's 60 Minutes stalking you I wouldnt worry about it.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Really depends upon one's region, industry...and one's standing (i.e., personal net worth) in industry...even in jaded places like SF/LA/NYC....let alone Podunk/EU....

    Many guys in LA w/"flashy" cars are from unspeakable parts of the vast LA region....and are in various grimy/suspect businesses, sometimes w/dubious abilities to read/count......and many guys on trading desks at leading NYC inv banks/hedge funds own/drive some rather laughable wkend cars...even though any half-decent <30yo trader can easily afford any car on planet as a commuter car....

    Most affluent guys are not car guys, so tend to drive unremarkable/dubious cars (even in LA/SF)....and most (even rather affluent) humans tend to be jealous of $150K+ commuter cars....

    That said, if in region where one cannot freely consume whatever cars/whatever one desires....and local culture imposes punitive tax (reduced bonuses/pay, etc) upon one for enjoying such....really need to consider if need to re-locate.....life's too short to deal w/that nonsense....

    Many car-oriented financial guys started careers in NYC (a notoriusly anti-car oriented region, even Greenwich....w/dismal weather/roads/topography/culture for perf car commuting)...and simply opted to move to SF/LA when their career allowed (or just got wkend houses in CA to keep and enjoy their more interesting cars, if too rooted in NYC to fully relocate).....CA is essentially nirvana for car nuts; even the legendary Germany of smooth pavement and derestricted AB has 5mos/yr when one needs to use those girlie winter wheels/tires (and a deeply jealous consumption culture, not surprisingly in context of an economy w/a limited ability to generate new wealth)....

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Also would say that one needs to "price in" implics of commuter car when dealing w/financial issues w/colleagues, competitors, employees, etc...esp in settings where cars are fairly visible/identifiable, like suburban office bldgs, restaurants, etc.....

    Many shrewd guys consider whether to drive their CL63 or 599 to a dinner (esp where one's car sits in front of restaurant) based upon business that needs to be transacted....always easier when counterpart is a fellow car nut/avid consumer.....

    But a truly jealous guy will fixate on something, even if one drives a beat-up Audi or whatever POS....one's GF or wife/mistress/bimbo of wk, house, rumored pay/net worth, etc will provide spark for jealousy if car doesn't....and if nothing in one's lifestyle provokes jealousy among jealous colleagues, one prob has larger issues anyway.....

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    i think it also depends on your job, as a doctor myself, i too have to park my car some walking distance away to keep my patients feeling I am making way too much money...

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    You only get to go through life once - as a friend of mine said, "this ain't no dress rehearsal!" Enjoy.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Human beings aren't rational.

    If an MD drives a Porsche it will attract their attention and they are compelled to _imagine_ what it means. For some it could mean the guy is good at what he does and appreciates precision and quality; while for others it underlines the extreme $tate of healthcare in the usa.

    For me, irrationally speaking, if I were to have heart surgery I'd want my surgeon to be driving a modestly-colored 993-era Carrera and not a silver Prius.

    If you're driving among and being seen by the General Public it's least stressful to be discrete and unnoticed, so drive a car that doesn't compel people to make up stories in their minds.

    Oh, since we're all driving Turbos on this board? We're screwed! There ain't nothing that's going to prevent being labelled in people's imagination as an ahole, or an over-compensating douche bag by 95% of those who know that the TT is the "Mother of All Porsches."


    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Several years ago, during a trial I arrranged for the jury to inspect an accident site which was in a remote park with little view obstructions. At the time I was driving a Porsche. The other attorney was driving MB.

    I hired a bus which tranported the jury and judge.
    I rent a Ford and drove it to the site. The other attorney obviously thinking along similar lines arrived in a VW which I later learned he borrowed from his daughter's friend.

    I guess that says it all.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    I usually don't care what people think. I'm sure many people think i'm crazy for spending what I spend on a car. Conversely, I"m sure many of those same people have hobbies/vices that I would think are nuts.

    I work for a large, German multi-national and had a meeting w/ my CEO last week at our US HQ. I got there very early in the morning so had a "good" spot along the curb, so the car did stand out a bit.

    Left the office around 6:00 pm and got in the car and made a phone call. While sitting in the car I see the CEO and COO walking through the parking lot. I have to admit, I was a bit glad they did not see me. Especially as I saw them both getting into very non-descript American sedans.

    However, the CEO is a pilot and has a plane so I could argue that he chooses to spend his money on his hobby.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Quote:
    carcam said:
    This came up in another post but it's a good question. It's something I struggle with. I grew up in So. California and there, the more exotic the better. Here in NC, less so. And I worry about my patients seeing my cars (997T, RR SC, etc). And our European buddies - same thing, I think. How often do you let your friends/family/patients/neighbors affect your car buying decision?



    One word only: the social implications aren't very positive, actually they're pretty bad. Only the kids/friends of my kids seem to love our Porsches, their parents are pretty offensive and sometimes even hostile regarding their opinion about our cars, especially regarding the Cayenne but also the Turbo. Their comments are sometimes insulting and full of envy but due to the fact that they're our neighbours and the parents of our kids' friends, I can't actually tell them what I think about them and their opinions.

    Can I live with it? Definetely. However it is getting more and more difficult, so in the end, I think that the Cayenne will go sooner or later but the 997 Turbo stays.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Several years ago, during a trial I arrranged for the jury to inspect an accident site which was in a remote park with little view obstructions. At the time I was driving a Porsche. The other attorney was driving MB.

    I hired a bus which tranported the jury and judge.
    I rent a Ford and drove it to the site. The other attorney obviously thinking along similar lines arrived in a VW which I later learned he borrowed from his daughter's friend.

    I guess that says it all.



    Wait a minute. I thought you said in the past that Porsche's were middle class cars. Why would the Porsche stand out, then? It would blend in, just like other "middle class" cars.

    I guess that says it all.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    carcam said:
    This came up in another post but it's a good question. It's something I struggle with. I grew up in So. California and there, the more exotic the better. Here in NC, less so. And I worry about my patients seeing my cars (997T, RR SC, etc). And our European buddies - same thing, I think. How often do you let your friends/family/patients/neighbors affect your car buying decision?



    One word only: the social implications aren't very positive, actually they're pretty bad. Only the kids/friends of my kids seem to love our Porsches, their parents are pretty offensive and sometimes even hostile regarding their opinion about our cars, especially regarding the Cayenne but also the Turbo. Their comments are sometimes insulting and full of envy but due to the fact that they're our neighbours and the parents of our kids' friends, I can't actually tell them what I think about them and their opinions.

    Can I live with it? Definetely. However it is getting more and more difficult, so in the end, I think that the Cayenne will go sooner or later but the 997 Turbo stays.



    RC, you need to move to California or Florida. With the exchange rates being favorable and housing prices coming down, now or in the next couple of years would be the best time to make this move. However, if you bring your Porsches to Southern California, you will not stand out anymore. You might miss that attention.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Several years ago, during a trial I arrranged for the jury to inspect an accident site which was in a remote park with little view obstructions. At the time I was driving a Porsche. The other attorney was driving MB.

    I hired a bus which tranported the jury and judge.
    I rent a Ford and drove it to the site. The other attorney obviously thinking along similar lines arrived in a VW which I later learned he borrowed from his daughter's friend.

    I guess that says it all.



    Wait a minute. I thought you said in the past that Porsche's were middle class cars. Why would the Porsche stand out, then? It would blend in, just like other "middle class" cars.

    I guess that says it all.



    When I drove Porsche's, they were not considered middle class cars. They were the "cat's meow". Everyone drooled over owning one. Today, nothing more than a Lexus and would have no problem driving one in front of a client. Now the Ferrari is a different story.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Lot's of possession envy here in the UK. I've built a successful business through hard work but I could never let the contract manager's I deal with see my (current) C2s let alone the Turbo when it arrives. Most of the people I tender from are happy to give me work all day long as long as they feel I'm somehow reliant on them, it's an ego thing. If they knew I was earning 6 times what they are I would get nothing, even though I give them exactly the service they need at the price they want.

    My cars stay well away from my work, I show up in a pick-up truck!

    brad

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Quote:
    br d said:
    Lot's of possession envy here in the UK. I've built a successful business through hard work but I could never let the contract manager's I deal with see my (current) C2s let alone the Turbo when it arrives. Most of the people I tender from are happy to give me work all day long as long as they feel I'm somehow reliant on them, it's an ego thing. If they knew I was earning 6 times what they are I would get nothing, even though I give them exactly the service they need at the price they want.

    My cars stay well away from my work, I show up in a pick-up truck!

    brad



    I wonder how come certain societies have to be like this. Is it because the "system" doesn't allow one to be that successful, so that the one's that make it are the object of scorn and envy?

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    In NY, my clients expect me to drive a nice car. They are buying a successful atty., not hoping that I'm sucessful some day. Furthermore, most defense attys. (almost all) are making less than I do in the plaintiffs bar. The defense attys. also expect me to drive a nice car. I wouldn't go to a deposition driving a crappy car on a multi-million dollar case. Bottom line - image is important, at least in my profession. Although I do concur with nberry that I would not want jurors/trial judge seeing me in the Turbo (let alone an F430 spyder) at a site inspection.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    br d said:
    Lot's of possession envy here in the UK. I've built a successful business through hard work but I could never let the contract manager's I deal with see my (current) C2s let alone the Turbo when it arrives. Most of the people I tender from are happy to give me work all day long as long as they feel I'm somehow reliant on them, it's an ego thing. If they knew I was earning 6 times what they are I would get nothing, even though I give them exactly the service they need at the price they want.

    My cars stay well away from my work, I show up in a pick-up truck!

    brad



    I wonder how come certain societies have to be like this. Is it because the "system" doesn't allow one to be that successful, so that the one's that make it are the object of scorn and envy?



    It's just the perception that nobody deserves more than anybody else - except for the person saying that . You don't deserve a Porsche and you must be a lying, thieving bastard to have been able to afford it, as they certainly deserve it more than you do, regardless of the fact that they don't work the hours you do (something they tend to miss) to build a successful business, didn't have the tenacity to finish school to get a high education (they already had a steady job and income while you were toiling behind books in law school and were poor) or were just too cowardly to start their own business and make it. Still, since we are a "free" society, they can run their mouths off and all the other sheep will agree with them, refusing to acknowledge the fact that it is your taxes and taxes of people the likes of you that run their countries and not the puny contribution that they make each year with their measly salaries.

    That's the one thing that America beats Europe HANDS DOWN for.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    carcam said:
    This came up in another post but it's a good question. It's something I struggle with. I grew up in So. California and there, the more exotic the better. Here in NC, less so. And I worry about my patients seeing my cars (997T, RR SC, etc). And our European buddies - same thing, I think. How often do you let your friends/family/patients/neighbors affect your car buying decision?


    Their comments are sometimes insulting and full of envy but due to the fact that they're our neighbours and the parents of our kids' friends, I can't actually tell them what I think about them and their opinions.




    Just in case you change your mind, I'm sure many of us would gladly give you some suggestions on what to say in order to return the sympathies . I can't stand people who gossip and demean others in order to make themselves feel good about themselves .

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    I drive a pickup with 140k miles on it to work, but sometimes take the 997. I might be more inclined to take the 993 as it is less flashy

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    I have never driven my TT to my place of business and never will. My employees have no idea I own such a car. I show up to work in a Toyota! The TT is for my personal enjoyment on the weekends.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    I guess I'm not alone in my feelings. I love my turbo and will always enjoy it whether my neighbors or patients see it or agree with it or who cares. It's a great car and it brings me more pleasure than my neighbors, work, etc. And it gets much better gas mileage than my friends hummer...

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Several years ago, during a trial I arrranged for the jury to inspect an accident site which was in a remote park with little view obstructions. At the time I was driving a Porsche. The other attorney was driving MB.

    I hired a bus which tranported the jury and judge.
    I rent a Ford and drove it to the site. The other attorney obviously thinking along similar lines arrived in a VW which I later learned he borrowed from his daughter's friend.

    I guess that says it all.



    Wait a minute. I thought you said in the past that Porsche's were middle class cars. Why would the Porsche stand out, then? It would blend in, just like other "middle class" cars.

    I guess that says it all.



    When I drove Porsche's, they were not considered middle class cars. They were the "cat's meow". Everyone drooled over owning one. Today, nothing more than a Lexus and would have no problem driving one in front of a client. Now the Ferrari is a different story.



    Always good for a laugh. Besides "vanity", how many of the other 7 deadly sins do you violate on a regular basis? I bet you think you know all the best happenin' night spots in L.A. too and that they're only cool while you're a customer and once you stop going there, the place is past its due. Puh-leeze.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Interesting thread, when I go see a lawyer for business, I 'EXPECT' to see him in a presentable car, something along the lines of Audi, BMW, MB and up, that would tell me he is a successful one and gives me more faith in his practice, same thing for my accountant.

    If I see a beater, or even a Lexus, I will more than likely turned away and find another one, a beater to me means he is not making enough to get a presentable car and not successful enough, it would have been a gamble on my part to trust him/her. A Lexus owner is even worst, he is 'pretending' to be a successful one, but since he can't afford to buy the proper brand names, he goes for the discounted one. A 100% poser in my mind.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Heavy implications in Germany. Might be that if your client knows about your cars, he will choose another supplier.

    I work a lot in the US, too. Most thing I like there is, that I can openly talk about my cars and hobbies, without getting affected in any way. In Germany, jealousy is the rule. Even if some people have the same cars, there are still jealous on you.

    So what do I do. In my neighbourhood I have given up caring about. I drive what I like. When I go to my clients (all far away in other areas) I avoid using the Porsche. I choose the bimmer.

    I completly agree on RC statement. Kids are loving cars and dont know jeaslousy but even here are some kids which are affected by their parents thinking and behaving and sometimes those kids behave different to your kids, just because the cars or the house you live in.

    Sad but thats the trueth of Germany. Noone sees that you are working for your money people only see when you spend it!

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    I used to drive a Mini Cooper S to work but have switched to a Mercedes A150

    However my main residence is in a neighbouring country where I keep all my cars.

    I quite enjoy going from the A class to one of my other cars because it makes me appreciate that much more when I drive them.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    I'm also from Southern California. I don't let anybody affect my car buying decision. At all. If anything, however, the cheaper the car you have, the worst the social implications, here in LA.



    Exactly, actually my patients love my car and a lot of them are car people. It is all about location.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    imo all you guys who "hide" your cars as per the occasion and the indevidual/s you are about to meet are just as bad as the ones who categorize you negatively because in effect you are behaving in the same manner only from the opposite direction....
    The fact that we are here in this forum proves that in the most part we are enthusiates and this is the real motivation for us driving such cars,luckily being able to afford them.
    In my experience, mostly the people i work and socelize with are +/- of simmilar circumstances and are less likely to negativize the relationship.
    Btw,this thing is not limited only to cars,it's the same with wrist watches(i'm sure you guys also change your watches per client you meet)houses and even the kids school/kindergarden so just accept and present things at face value,and that's what i think! as A D Clay would have said

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    Heavy implications in Germany. Might be that if your client knows about your cars, he will choose another supplier.

    I work a lot in the US, too. Most thing I like there is, that I can openly talk about my cars and hobbies, without getting affected in any way. In Germany, jealousy is the rule. Even if some people have the same cars, there are still jealous on you.

    So what do I do. In my neighbourhood I have given up caring about. I drive what I like. When I go to my clients (all far away in other areas) I avoid using the Porsche. I choose the bimmer.

    I completly agree on RC statement. Kids are loving cars and dont know jeaslousy but even here are some kids which are affected by their parents thinking and behaving and sometimes those kids behave different to your kids, just because the cars or the house you live in.

    Sad but thats the trueth of Germany. Noone sees that you are working for your money people only see when you spend it!



    It sounds like the problem is the worst in Germany, and that in the rest of Europe, it isn't so bad. Is this correct? This is pretty strange, because Germany is the home of Mercedes and Porsche. Although, it doesn't sound like owning a Mercedes in Germany is as bad as a Porsche, as far as envy issues are concerned.

    Re: Social implications of the car you drive...

    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Interesting thread, when I go see a lawyer for business, I 'EXPECT' to see him in a presentable car, something along the lines of Audi, BMW, MB and up, that would tell me he is a successful one and gives me more faith in his practice, same thing for my accountant.

    If I see a beater, or even a Lexus, I will more than likely turned away and find another one, a beater to me means he is not making enough to get a presentable car and not successful enough, it would have been a gamble on my part to trust him/her. A Lexus owner is even worst, he is 'pretending' to be a successful one, but since he can't afford to buy the proper brand names, he goes for the discounted one. A 100% poser in my mind.



    I assume that you would not want Warren Buffett as your investment advisor.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/16/22 11:50 AM
    BjoernB
     
     
     
     
     
    572460 1304
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/23/22 1:43 PM
    Rossi
    222054 1179
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/17/22 1:30 AM
    watt
    110837 955
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/1/22 7:14 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    108001 405
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    89147 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31392 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    511576 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    426871 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    423792 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    387126 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    364440 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/13/22 3:48 PM
    Grant
    345275 3536
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    289168 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    137299 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/25/22 7:26 PM
    bluelines
    134286 1388
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    110634 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    109634 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/20/22 3:29 PM
    Enmanuel
    107316 709
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 5/12/22 9:01 PM
    Leawood911
    92135 1637
    Porsche GT4RS 5/16/22 7:03 AM
    Porker
    83253 933
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    75644 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 4/12/22 9:24 PM
    blueflame
    74724 520
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 12/15/21 8:04 PM
    Topspeed
    70110 533
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    61582 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 4/4/22 7:10 AM
    GnilM
    54457 472
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 7/21/21 6:22 PM
    Topspeed
    53897 592
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 10/16/21 1:07 PM
    Pentium
    53813 719
    Others Corvette C8 11/8/21 8:04 PM
    Topspeed
    49751 442
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    26464 640
    AMG AMG plotting new SLR with hybrid power for 2018 launch 2/22/22 2:34 PM
    Topspeed
    23980 275
    227 items found, displaying 1 to 30.