Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

UK: Noise Cameras To Clamp Down On Loud Vehicles

This was bound to happen with all the d-bags shipping their cars just to show offSmiley

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/british/noise-cameras-will-know-if-your-cars-too-loud

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-noise-cameras-could-used-16406899

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/9258988/new-noise-cameras-could-automatically-fine-you-if-your-vehicles-exhaust-is-too-loud/

MOTORISTS could soon be slapped with a fine if their vehicle's exhaust is too loud.

The Government will trial a prototype noise camera to be tested at several locations over the next seven months to tackle nuisance motorists with extremely loud cars or motorbikes.

New cameras fitted with noise detection systems will identify vehicles exceeding legal noise limits and could work in a similar way to speed cameras to automatically target drivers breaking the law.

Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) tech could be used to dish out fines to drivers over excessive noise in the same way they're used for other traffic offences.

The trials aim to measure the sound levels of passing vehicles and use ANPR to help identify offenders with loud exhausts or those revving their engine excessively.

If trials are successful, recommendations will be made to further develop the system across the UK.

The cameras will mainly affect motorists who have deliberately modified their exhaust system to be louder.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said the plan could help tackle the "absolute misery" caused by noise pollution.

Mr Grayling said: "Noise pollution makes the lives of people in communities across Britain an absolute misery and has very serious health impacts.

"This is why I am determined to crack down on the nuisance drivers who blight our streets.

"New technology will help us lead the way in making our towns and cities quieter, and I look forward to seeing how these exciting new cameras could work."

The current legal noise limit for cars meeting type approval in Europe is 74 decibels, and it's illegal to modify a car’s exhaust to make it louder than the level at which it passed type approval with.

Police forces suggest noise exceeding 90 decibels is regarded as a nuisance.

According to Government, enforcement is currently reactive and relies on subjective judgement by police.

Trials of the new technology will determine whether the legal noise limit has been breached by taking into account the class and speed of the vehicle relative to the location of the noise camera.

Tony Campbell, Motorcycle Industry Association CEO, said: "With growing pressure on the environment, including noise pollution, illegal exhausts fitted by some riders attract unwanted attention to the motorcycle community and do nothing to promote the many benefits motorcycles can offer.

"All manufacturers produce new motorcycles that follow strict regulations regarding noise and emissions and we welcome these trials as a potential way of detecting excessive noise in our community."

Last year, we revealed how drivers could be fined for playing loud music in their car. 

Re: UK: Noise Cameras To Clamp Down On Loud Vehicles

Most of those cars are from the Middle East, don't think the owners of those cars will be too concerned about the fine, or whether the camera can recognizes the Dubai plates at all 

--

This was posted in the context of another thread a few days ago. Slippery slope.

Noise is new '' pollution'' to go after . Over here there are now brigades doing only noise check . If your car is too loud they keep it on the spot .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

Noise is new '' pollution'' to go after . Over here there are now brigades doing only noise check . If your car is too loud they keep it on the spot .

Same in Germany, the call it "Taskforce Tuning" or "Taskforce Raser (Speeders)".

Got stopped by one last weekend in Munich, already told Rossi about it. I downshifted at a stop light and they were right across the street stopping cars, so they stopped me too. Smiley No issues with my Performante but they had some sort of catalogue(!) with the Performante and lots of other cars in it, including exhaust descriptions and notes. A police officer just looked under my car and I was free to go. A guy in an old M6 wasn't that lucky, non-stock exhaust and apparently too loud and car was also way too low. They confiscated it on the spot, the owner was quite p.ss.d. This is the new reality here in Germany as well.

Good thing with the Performante is: If the car is stock and they don't find any obvious modifications, they cannot confiscate the car. They can however ask you to get it checked technically. Not a problem since everything is stock. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

this is also why EV will be pushed as important...to clean city centers from noise and emission kiss

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

this is also why EV will be pushed as important...to clean city centers from noise and emission kiss

I live outside the city and 95% of my weekend toy driving is outside the city, so I'm good. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

But for someone living in the center of a city,  that would mean you cannot own a loud sport car. Ouch...

SciFrog:

But for someone living in the center of a city,  that would mean you cannot own a loud sport car. Ouch...

Of course you can...do you know how quiet my Performante is in Strada mode? Unbelievable. Unless I floor it, then the flaps open again... Smiley

Most cars have flap exhaust systems but the drivers keep the flaps open and fully accelerate in the city. I drive in Corsa mode all the time (incl. the city but not in my neighborhood!) and at 2000 rpm, the Performante is already louder than many cars at 6000 rpm Smiley but I do not floor it in the city, I never go above 3500 rpm, there is no need for that. On the contrary, the Performante has such a nice trumpet V10 sound in the lower rev range and people seem to love it. It is not a very annoying sound, it is more like a "wow, what is this" sound. Difficult to explain but the positive reaction of people confirms it. There are people who rev up to the rev limiter in their sports cars...downtown, with tons of people walking on the boardwalks, riding their bikes or waiting at stop lights. No wonder that sports cars drivers get a bad reputation.

--

My Aston does not have flaps, the Larini exhaust is loud all the time... Never had an issue with noise or complaints, but as you said, it is all about how you behave. Also in the USA the tolerance for noise is higher.

SciFrog:

My Aston does not have flaps, the Larini exhaust is loud all the time... Never had an issue with noise or complaints, but as you said, it is all about how you behave. Also in the USA the tolerance for noise is higher.

The Larini exhaust is stock? Smiley Smiley

Aftermarket exhaust systems will create a lot of problems for people sooner or later because no matter if they are technically "approved" or not, they will be flagged as suspicious and in the case of any aftermarket part, even if "legal", the police and technical services in Germany (for example, I assume it isn't much different in many other countries) can demand a removal(!) if it is too loud. Most of them are too loud, this is a fact. 

Only stock cars get an exemption from this, unless there is an official recall or whatever. 

Meaning: If your car is loud stock, no problem but you can still be fined for making too much noise. If your car is loud with an aftermarket part, it can be confiscated (in Germany, I assume in other countries as well) and you have to remove it. Not worth it.

--

The USA has a much more lenient attitude for non stock cars, as you can see on the roads. The over bureaucratic Europe is a whole other ballgame.

SciFrog:

The USA has a much more lenient attitude for non stock cars, as you can see on the roads. The over bureaucratic Europe is a whole other ballgame.

The US changed...heard "horror stories" from California (owners being fined for too loud exhaust systems, also forced to remove them), so I guess it is starting there as well. 

--

California is its own liberal filled country going the way of Europe, I had not heard this because I have no interest with that state, but that would not be surprising. The whole East Coast seems spared from now...

Chicago is proposing something similar to the UK regulation for one of its main routes on the lakefront.  https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/6/12/18663393/noise-monitors-lake-shore-drive-motorcycles-mufflers

In all fairness, the motorcyclists have abused the law and it isn’t uncommon to be awaken in the very early morning hours by the puerile revving of a Harley at every stoplight.  What is even worse are the bikers with stereos even louder than their bike with straight pipes.  

I can understand a sportbike with a performance Akrapovich exhaust system or the like, but a loud exahasut on a Harley that weights 200kg and handles like a pig? never understood that... it is like an SUV with a rear wing....

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

There a lots of aberrations in the automotive world:

- a road car with a huge wing

- a SUV with summer tires

- a manual performance sport car

- a beetle pick up

- a luxury SUV pick up

- a 2.2 tons Porsche sedan heavier than a crossover

- a $450k sport car with an antiquated gear box (Lambo)

- a coupe version more expensive than its convertible counterpart (Porsche Cayman)

angrysmiley

Carlos from Spain:

I can understand a sportbike with a performance Akrapovich exhaust system or the like, but a loud exahasut on a Harley that weights 200kg and handles like a pig? never understood that... it is like an SUV with a rear wing....

the growl of a twin is unique and very nice sound. you can't have the full experience with OEM exhaust. Harley engines used to be on the sports bike; Buell. I challenge any sportbike on take-off against the twin torque....Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

My thoughts exactly Carlos kiss

the-missile:
    Carlos from Spain:

the growl of a twin is unique and very nice sound. you can't have the full experience with OEM exhaust. Harley engines used to be on the sports bike; Buell. I challenge any sportbike on take-off against the twin torque....Smiley

The sound of a Harley with straight pipes is obnoxious.  There is no way to present a positive spin on this noise pollution and this is the reason why noise regulations are being enacted in many municipalities.  

CGX car nut:
    the-missile:
    Carlos from Spain:

The sound of a Harley with straight pipes is obnoxious.  There is no way to present a positive spin on this noise pollution and this is the reason why noise regulations are being enacted in many municipalities.  

any straight pipe is obnoxious. no question. i was more talking about ''sporty'' exhaust that is very common modification on any type of bike. I am well aware of the noise regulations enforcement and I am happy about it, it is like smoker around non smoking people. you don't understand that you are annoying people around you.Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    CGX car nut:
    the-missile:
    Carlos from Spain:

any straight pipe is obnoxious. no question. i was more talking about ''sporty'' exhaust that is very common modification on any type of bike. I am well aware of the noise regulations enforcement and I am happy about it, it is like smoker around non smoking people. you don't understand that you are annoying people around you.Smiley

Most of the worse of the worse Harley riders are old, fat, and deaf, guys trying to relive their youth.  Even off those infernal noise machines they are the loudest in a room from their distasteful Tommy Bahama “dress” shirts to their HOG t-shirts to their yelling because they are stone deaf from age and years of using straight pipes.   Then there is urban rider, who equip their rides, with even louder stereos, and only seem to be out after 1:00 AM, when everyone else are attempting to sleep for a busy next day.   

Sadly, even if municipalities like Chicago, actively seek out to lower the noise, nothing will happen because the powers-that-be have strict non-pursuit restrictions on the police. Therefore the offender merely speeds off into the distance, creating more noise.   It is only when they are too under the influence to control that bike that they end, often permanently, their shenanigans.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt

475551 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 10/16/21 4:08 AM
    Pilot
    174148 1141
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 10/14/21 6:25 PM
    bluelines
    68267 382
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 10/17/21 4:35 PM
    GnilM
    61111 625
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    47653 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/16/21 8:22 PM
    Wonderbar
    45646 394
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    12941 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    470367 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    387356 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 8/12/21 4:57 PM
    Topspeed
    382859 3918
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    349145 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 10/8/21 11:41 AM
    xpto
    318584 2647
    Porsche 992 GT3 10/17/21 4:47 PM
    GnilM
    269437 3041
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    252629 1587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    168500 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    118926 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    103233 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 10/9/21 1:11 PM