Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

SLS test by Autobilismo

incredible data on elasticity (faster than 997 turbo pdk on 180-240km/h 7,47 vs 8,28)

100-200 7,45 vs 8,04 turbo pdk (-71hp and -168,4kg lighter)

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Re: SLS test by Autobilismo

I see relatively low points for steering (7,0),particularly steering feel which is a must for sports car fans.

Also fuel consumption is on the heavy side.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

If the SLS takes out the 458, Ferrari is going to have a serious problem on its hands.

--

Nick, you took the words out of my mouth Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

I don't see this car as being a 458 competitor-if you want a toy to give you a special sense of occasion,you get the Ferrari,if you want to do some serious long distance travelling you buy the Benz

It may beat the ferrari in acceleration or whatever, but that is only part of the buyer check list. The SLS will get the GT cruiser business guys and the Ferrari will continue to see the people who seek the exclusiveness. Job well done MB though, i though it would be no where near any real sports figures.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

At he Geneva car show I did not especially like the car , but I saw one on the road the other day ( in black ) and it drive then behind me for a while, I must say the car has a very strong road presence and was very impressing on the streets

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Porsche drivers should wait for the 2013 Black Series for the more honed handling/steering they like, but I expect it to be very expensive judging from previous Black Series models.

I don't expect Ferraristi to be converted to this car, unless they can maintain a large Garage.

--

I recall being almost a lone voice in saying the SLS was going to be something special  Amazing how a few magazine tests suddenly change a car's image by bringing it better bragging rights

Maranello won't be quaking with fear over this model. Buyers are more than likely going to take both cars at this level and use them differently. Ferrari's, especially the mid engined models, will always find a loyal following of buyers. They offer something very different to a front engined car like the SLS.

It does make me chuckle when discussions focus on 1/10ths of a second advantage as most drivers will never notice those sorts of differences in real world driving and on a track can be beaten by better drivers in less powerful cars with a higher technical skill level. Lamborghini's chief engineer said in article this week that the pursuit of ever higher BHP has to end and they will now focus on weight reduction instead. He remarked that even professional drivers stuggle to notice an extra 10 BHP but everyone notices a reduction in weight.

Nick I'm worried that you've been abducted by Aliens and brainwashed  For years you've doggedly cited Porsche as a mass producer of humdrum sports cars that depreciate, look lousy and don't have the driving characteristics to match a Ferrari. Now that Ferrari residuals are no longer cast iron you appear to have had an epiphany and are becoming an ever growing supporter of Stuttgart since aquiring a Gen 2 turbo. We all told you the 997 was a great car but you wouldn't listen and dismissed it. The Gen 1 turbo was a faster car than your 430 spider but that went unacknowledged by you. Porsche haven't changed as a company so all the things you disliked about them are still there. In fact they're now even more of a mass producer after being swallowed up by VW. Now you are even suggesting that the SLS, which you have frequently criticised for looks/price/old tech etc, has given Ferrari something serious to think about. Somebody call Bruce Willis and get him to fire up that spaceship again........ the planets have gone out of alignment obviously Can we now expect a constant berating of Ferrari now that you may be dropping out of ownership?

OUCH! 

I believe I have been suitably dressed down for my apparent change of heart regarding Ferrari.

In my defense, I wrote elsewhere why I had a change of heart regarding Porsche. A combination of factors caused me to take another look at Porsche and to date I love what I have found. Ferrari to me has always been the joy of driving an exciting car. Italian styling with its sound really do make for a great driving experience. The enjoyment was more style generated.

I have been a Ferrari owner for over 10 years owning several. The experience no longer is as enjoyable or for that matter different. Styling and  sensuousness are attributes which provide a great deal of enjoyment but not long lasting. After a while, it really is same old, same old.

Porsche is a change toward more of substance, quality and value. Is it as fun to drive as the Ferrari? Not unless I am on a track. But I will say this, the new Turbo provides so much more for the money that it really isn't a fair comparison. Ferrari is outclassed.

Regarding the SLS, I thought the weight would be its undoing and it may still be the case. The appearance of the car I never liked because in my eyes it looks like a tennis shoe. What made it attractive was the price which we were told to be around $165,000. More recent comments had it up around $200,000 and more. There is no way I would pay that kind of money for the SLS.

Finally, FWIW, I have not told my Ferrari dealer not to call me.

--

nberry:

OUCH! 

I believe I have been suitably dressed down for my apparent change of heart regarding Ferrari.

Porsche is a change toward more of substance, quality and value.

Next you'll be telling us that you've discovered Walmart is a great place to shop Smiley

I'll be interested to see if your initial enthusiasm with the Porsche lasts Nick. My experience of the Gen 1 turbo was that whilst it was incredibly fast it was also rather humdrum to drive at sensible speeds because it was so accomplished it felt almost dull unless you were really pushing it hard. I certainly found it wasn't a car I took out for a drive just for the fun of it unlike my Ferraris. Great as a daily driver but not as a weekend toy was my experience.

I look forward to your updates Smiley

Iain, I exercised the car a little more today. The roar of the 3.8L turbocharged engine is intoxicating. I had a similar experience with the CGT. Driving it at normal speeds it was tame and very little excitement. BUT, when you hit the pedal all hell broke loose and it was an out of earth experience. So it is with the new Turbo. Hit the pedal and all hell breaks loose.

With Ferrari you have the constant droll of the engine and it only gets louder when you hit the pedal. After a while, it is no longer intoxicating and you become immune to it.

The bottom line is if you own several sport cars then I believe a Ferrari should be in your stable. It is a weekend toy for limited use. I do not have the room for several cars and honestly have no interest in owning them. I make the most of single ownership of different functioning cars.

--

I guess they've improved the sound of the Gen 2 car Nick. My Gen 1 sounded like it was powered by a couple of Dyson vacuum cleaners when the turbo's spooled up.

Shame on you though for describing a Ferrari engine as a constant droll   You must be getting old  You'll be complaining about ride comfort and difficult access before we know it and buying a Mercedes SL next

ISUK:

I guess they've improved the sound of the Gen 2 car Nick. My Gen 1 sounded like it was powered by a couple of Dyson vacuum cleaners when the turbo's spooled up.

Shame on you though for describing a Ferrari engine as a constant droll   You must be getting old  You'll be complaining about ride comfort and difficult access before we know it and buying a Mercedes SL next

Actually the ride of the Turbo 2 is somewhat stiff. 

Regarding the Ferrari engine, if I am not mistaken what you hear is the exhaust and not the engine.  With the CGT and Turbo2 it is the engine and not the exhaust you hear. I love the whooshing sound of the turbo which crescendos into an engine roar. The CGT engine sound is beyond anything I have heard. It is mesmerizing. The Turbo is not that far behind.Smiley

You are right I must be getting old. I am beginning to value substance over bling.Smiley There is one thing I am sure of. You will love your 458 as you should. It will be a great car.

--

nberry:

".... to value substance over bling"

That's the whole essence in 5 words. No need to say more Smiley

--

reginos:
    nberry:

".... to value substance over bling"

That's the whole essence in 5 words. No need to say more Smiley

+1

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

nberry:

You are right I must be getting old. I am beginning to value substance over bling.Smiley

Says the man who had an F430 spider......... in YELLOW Smiley

Nick,

I'm beginning to think this is the real reason you now love Porsche Smiley Smiley Smiley

Cupholder.JPG

ISUK:
    nberry:

You are right I must be getting old. I am beginning to value substance over bling.Smiley

Says the man who had an F430 spider......... in YELLOW Smiley

Nick,

I'm beginning to think this is the real reason you now love Porsche Smiley Smiley Smiley

Cupholder.JPG

Smiley

Iain, you're good, real good!Smiley

I also like cruise control.Smiley (for those of you unfamiliar with Ferrari's, the 360's and 430's no cruise control)

--

You can get cruise control and a beverage holder in a US spec California Nick

Cup holder 3.JPG

If that is so I will call my dealer and tell him I changed my mind and order the California.SmileySmiley 

--

Nick in 2010:

nberry:

OUCH! 

In my defense, I wrote elsewhere why I had a change of heart regarding Porsche. A combination of factors caused me to take another look at Porsche and to date I love what I have found. Ferrari to me has always been the joy of driving an exciting car. Italian styling with its sound really do make for a great driving experience. The enjoyment was more style generated.

I have been a Ferrari owner for over 10 years owning several. The experience no longer is as enjoyable or for that matter different. Styling and  sensuousness are attributes which provide a great deal of enjoyment but not long lasting. After a while, it really is same old, same old.

Porsche is a change toward more of substance, quality and value. Is it as fun to drive as the Ferrari? Not unless I am on a track. But I will say this, the new Turbo provides so much more for the money that it really isn't a fair comparison. Ferrari is outclassed.

Regarding the SLS, I thought the weight would be its undoing and it may still be the case. The appearance of the car I never liked because in my eyes it looks like a tennis shoe. What made it attractive was the price which we were told to be around $165,000. More recent comments had it up around $200,000 and more. There is no way I would pay that kind of money for the SLS.

Finally, FWIW, I have not told my Ferrari dealer not to call me.

Nick in 2006:

There isn't a nice way to write this but what many of you Porschephiles are missing is specialness in cars. If your going to pay $150,000 for a car shouldn't it be unique and offer something special? 

Anyone that has a medium paying job can buy a Porsche TT and many do. Often they live in some cheap apartment just to be able to say the drive a TT. This does not happen with a Ferrari. People with money, connnections and substantial resources beg, plead and grovel to get one. Yet they are unable to do so. Why do these people who can buy any car they want chase the Ferrari as they do? What do they know that present Porsche owners do not? 

In the past Porsche had a special place in the sport car world. Today it is a very good performing vanilla car. The only time it is worth its cost is if you can drive the Ring and 99.9999% of the owners do not. Otherwise, it is like an old shoe that Porsche resoles, gives new laces and tweaks the toe to give it the new car look. Face it, but for those rare moments where you can have some performance excitement, the car is nothing more than easter egg/inverted tub looking car which can be owned by anyone that can rub two nickels together. Is that worth a $150,000 to you?  

How can you change your views so much in 4 years? Smiley

I miss your old sense of humor. Smiley

OMG, I was pretty good!

Porsche has changed as has Ferrari. Ferrari is becoming more prevalent especially now that the California is part of their fleet and rumored other models. The reality is Ferrari is now taking a page out of Porsches book and following their game plan. In addition, the performance of Porsche has recently come on very strong I think in part because of the GTR and Z06.

Add to that my taste is changing i.e. the WOW factor is not as strong as it once was, the underestimation of the allure of Porsche by the general public and my migration to performance/value you have a changed man.

I still have not ruled out the 458. 

--

Test of the SLS in tomorrow's auto motor & sport. Results anybody? Kreso?

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Test of the SLS in tomorrow's auto motor & sport. Results anybody? Kreso?

New Sport Auto contains SLS and GT3 RS supertest.

SLS AMG Supertest

Nordschleife 7:40min

1647kg

KresoF1:

SLS AMG Supertest

Nordschleife 8:40min

1647kg

Kreso, you mean 7.40?

--

its 7:40

nberry:
    KresoF1:

SLS AMG Supertest

Nordschleife 8:40min

1647kg

Kreso, you mean 7.40?

Yes Nick 7.40min, I corrected my post.

Great time BTW. Just, I do not like SLS too much. Recently, I looked at it in our local Mercedes Showroom and it did not impressed me...Smiley

7:40 is not so great for the Horsepower and Price of the SLS but it's certainly a revelation for a Mercedes-Benz.

So let's congratulate them

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 2/23/24 11:21 AM
    RCA
    581329 1761
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    377757 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    251903 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 2/22/24 5:12 PM
    GT-Boy
    210218 291
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    41481 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 2/19/24 9:07 AM
    RCA
    2263 25
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

840815 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    725330 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM