Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Disabling the Wing from coming up

On the rear of the 997.... I remember reading that someone disabled this from happening. Can anyone help me to do this? I have searched the boards but cannot find the solution.

p.s I don't want to have the wing 'always up' either!

Re: Disabling the Wing from coming up

Mish,

On the 997, the spoiler is important for cooling of the engine compartment, not just aerodynamics. Be careful if you decide to start modifying how it works.

mcdelaug

Thanks for the info mcdelaug. It's funny, I sometimes see some 996 or 997 tearing past me and there wing is not up....how come? Have they been disabled?

I remember someone posting that they turn it off so that they avoid cops knowing how fast they are travelling!

no need to worry about the cops since the wing can be manually raised before you even start moving the car. It therefore is not an automatic 'admission of guilt' Also, in additon to cooling, I believe that it aids in aerodynamic stability at high speed.

There's a switch for it on the center console. You can do stuff with it.

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    Mish,

On the 997, the spoiler is important for cooling of the engine compartment, not just aerodynamics. Be careful if you decide to start modifying how it works.

mcdelaug

It definitely effects engine temps. on the air-cooled 964 and 993, but I doubt it has any significant cooling effect on the water-cooled engines. But it is definitely important for aerodynamic reasons, that's why it raises automatically over 75mph.

If you have the areokit it doesn't come up. I would assume that it doesn't aid in cooling..

It creates downforce at the higher speeds for stability and traction. Some people are upset that Porsche does very little to these cars that is unneccessary (no i-Pod connectivity or Sat. Radio), but we do need to keep in mind that there is most likely a reason for the things that the engineers do put into the cars.

Just drive at speeds less than 75mph.

Problem solved

As a 911 driver from the pre-whaletail days and the post, I can assure you that to mess with the tail is asking for trouble. Porsche goes through a lot more engineering than most people realize to fine tune the handling characteristics of this automobile. To automatically disable the tail from raising up is to negatively impact the handling of the car,--significantly. These things are not just for looks. As long as you follow the posted speed limits in America your question is moot. Where you need it is above 75 mph. The downforce that little are puts upon your rear suspension is substantial and critical.

dan

Quote:
    meaker said:
    If you have the areokit it doesn't come up. I would assume that it doesn't aid in cooling..

It does raise and lower based on engine compartment temperature as well.

Sorry, but I'm pretty confident that engine temp has absolutely nothing to do with the rise and descent of the rear wing. Why would anyone want to disable it in the first place. Like someone else blogged, it rises for a valid reason. Some things are meant to be left alone.
    And, why would the cops care if your wing is up or down. It descends at 30, so again WHY would anyone think you were speeding, unless of course, you were in a school zone. Sorry, but I just don't get some of the blogs and/or responses.
    Lastly, if you don't intend on driving over 75 mph, buy a Saturn, put a wing on it, then disable it.

The wing goes up & down at lower speeds if the engine compartment (not engine) temp is high.

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    The wing goes up & down at lower speeds if the engine compartment (not engine) temp is high.

This is true - mine has gone up when I've been stuck in traffic before.

Quote:
    GA997S said:

I was unaware that the wing extended under the conditions you stated and thus offer my sincere apology , however, I still stand behind the rest of my post regarding anyone wanting to do the unthinkable and disable said wing.

This is a recurring subject but I still think it's a bad idea if you are going to 'use' your Porsche and have 'fun' at high speed. This thread
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=3523

talks about what Audi did to their TT -after many high speed crashes in Europe- when they recalled all TT's for expensive modifications, and.... a spoiler.

If you are never going to go fast then it probably doesn't matter except for the cooling issue for the engine bay. If, however you do go fast... then bad idea I would say.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    GA997S said:

I was unaware that the wing extended under the conditions you stated and thus offer my sincere apology , however, I still stand behind the rest of my post regarding anyone wanting to do the unthinkable and disable said wing.

cool

I also stand behind the rest of your post.

Quote:

5590 Rear lid
    As on the previous 911 Carrera, the rear lid is made from sheet steel. Its
    styling has been adapted to the new body design. The integrated rear spoiler
    has also been restyled and as before is executed as a double-shell plastic
    construction. The spoiler extends at 120 km/h to reduce lift coefficients at the
    rear axle, thereby increasing driving stability.
    Since aerodynamic forces are rather less important at low speeds, it retracts
    at speeds below 60 km/h as a function of the engine compartment
    temperature to show off the classic lines of the 911 to their best advantage.
    The logo on the rear lid of the 911 Carrera is finished in titanium.

The redesigned rear spoiler has a carefully optimised edge that produces a
    defined air flow breakaway when the spoiler is extended. In combination with the
    optimised extension height of the rear spoiler, this ensures that the rear spoiler
    functions at the optimum aerodynamic operating point and that the desired rear
    axle lift with the optimum resistance advantage is achieved. On top of this,
    slotted openings have been integrated in the upper shell of the rear spoiler and,
    in combination with the underlying engine compartment scavenging blower,
    optimised to ensure adequate cooling and ventilation of the engine compartment
    at all times.

Quote:
    maoun said:
    The redesigned rear spoiler has a carefully optimised edge that produces a
    defined air flow breakaway when the spoiler is extended. In combination with the
    optimised extension height of the rear spoiler, this ensures that the rear spoiler
    functions at the optimum aerodynamic operating point and that the desired rear
    axle lift with the optimum resistance advantage is achieved. On top of this,
    slotted openings have been integrated in the upper shell of the rear spoiler and,
    in combination with the underlying engine compartment scavenging blower,
    optimised to ensure adequate cooling and ventilation of the engine compartment
    at all times.

Hehe....talk about research!

both of my posts are quotes from porsche literature

"The logo on the rear lid of the 911 Carrera is finished in titanium."

I thought is was plastic!

I believe "finished in titanium" is German legalese for black painted plastic.

I'm sure Porsche could get you an actual titanium script--for a price.

lol. so unfortunately true

First of all

The 997 rear wing is different from the 996 in the way that:

In 996, the wing went down at certain speed 60km.ALWAYS

In 997, it can stay raised, at lower speeds than 60km,which is the preset speed.Why ? Due to cooling needs of the engine..
    If the special sensor detects that there is need for cooling then the wing stays up...

No when you install the bodykit,the whole engine lid is REPLACED, !!! WITH ANOTHER ONE that features big grills all over its surface for advanced and additional cooling of the engine bay....So its a diffewrent story with the aerokit..

Its just a childish thing to do, with no fuctional reasoning, neither practical nor aesthetical....

After all in terms of appearance if this was an extra i m sure most of us would pay to have this technological evidence present in the rear of our car;)

Also the airflow managment at the back is quite different froma 996. It starts either side of the rear screen with the 'lip' down the whole length of the rear screen and a mini spoiler at the base of the rear screen-different from a 996. Then the actual spoiler itself has the ventilation working the opposite way from a 996. And the spoiler is slighly lower and smaller. Lots of wind tunnel work to reduce drag whilst improving the cooling of the engine compartment itself. And providing cool dense air for the intake system from over the top of the car.

And the wing does come up if its too hot in there-If you raise the engine lid after a really fast run I'm amazed the plastic doesn't melt in there....

its not plastic john!! its carbon plastic

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

628641 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 8/6/22 1:00 AM
    W8MM
    264107 1183
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 10/6/22 12:34 AM
    watt
    159042 1177
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/30/22 10:36 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    149843 418
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/6/22 12:37 AM
    WhoopsyM
    132864 580
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    67429 1
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 10/6/22 6:23 PM
    Grant
    3585 29
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM