Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    GT2 Short Review

    I collected my car the week before Xmas and have put almost 3000km on it since then. The car is fitted with winter tires (Nokian) due to the cold temperatures in Germany but also for insurance reasons. The first 100km the tires where extremely slippery but since then I have been quite happy with their performance. Nevertheless, with a bit of moisture on the road it is easy to spin wheels under full acceleration even in fourth gear.

    I think I don't need to comment on the looks of the car, nor the interior. I will post some pictures when I had a chance to wash off all the dirt and salt water I collected yesterday. The only thing I want to mention is the new seats which are excellent imo and quite comfortable, even on longer drives. I think they are a bit wider than the bucket seats in the GT3. The only downside is that the back of the seats is not real carbon fibre but seems to be a very thin carbon fibre looks foil or paint instead. It scratches very easily! I scratched mine pretty badly the first time a put a bag in the back of the car (with the zipper of the bag).

    Overall the car is a riot and at the beginning I was amazed how fast the car felt compared to my previous 996 TTS. There is a huge amount of torque and the pull feels much more linear than before. While it was possible to hit about 180km/h in the 996TTS without even engaging the turbos, the GT2's chargers are engaged much earlier and hence the car feels much more like a N/A car.

    The pull is spectacular. It feels much faster than any other car I have driven recently incl. a 997GT3 and also Z06. This must be due to the huge amounts of torque which allows you to drive the car much more relaxed than a GT3 for example - virtually like a diesel!!! After putting some miles on the clock I got used to this power very quickly and now can even notice a difference in performance when the gas tank is full or nearly empty. We are a lucky and crazy bunch of people at the same time worrying about these sorts of things.

    The suspension feels pretty stiff, in particular going slow through towns or on motorways where very bumpy roads combined with some speed (>200km/h) can cause the front splitter to touch the ground. However, the suspension filters out small bumps much better than my previous car and the car feels planted all the time despite some constant vertical movement.

    Breaks are spectacular, as expected and the steering is very communicative. Overall it does really feel like a mix of GT3 and a Turbo engine. The engine noise is much more subdued than in a GT3 which on longer drives is not a bad thing. One can really hear the induction noise and also a noise which reminds me a blow-off valve/waste gate which I always thought the car would not have anymore!?

    The best thing for me, however, is the range of the car. It is quite easy to put 650-700km on the car which one gas tank! On limited motor ways (100km/h) it is quite easy to drop below 10 litres per 100km.

    I am already looking forward to put on the Sport Cups in spring to exploit the performance on the car to the max. Until then I will keep you updated with more impressions.

    Happy new year to you all!

    Re: GT2 Short Review

    Quote:
    OAB said:
    I collected my car the week before Xmas and have put almost 3000km on it since then. The car is fitted with winter tires (Nokian) due to the cold temperatures in Germany but also for insurance reasons. The first 100km the tires where extremely slippery but since then I have been quite happy with their performance. Nevertheless, with a bit of moisture on the road it is easy to spin wheels under full acceleration even in fourth gear.

    I think I don't need to comment on the looks of the car, nor the interior. I will post some pictures when I had a chance to wash off all the dirt and salt water I collected yesterday. The only thing I want to mention is the new seats which are excellent imo and quite comfortable, even on longer drives. I think they are a bit wider than the bucket seats in the GT3. The only downside is that the back of the seats is not real carbon fibre but seems to be a very thin carbon fibre looks foil or paint instead. It scratches very easily! I scratched mine pretty badly the first time a put a bag in the back of the car (with the zipper of the bag).

    Overall the car is a riot and at the beginning I was amazed how fast the car felt compared to my previous 996 TTS. There is a huge amount of torque and the pull feels much more linear than before. While it was possible to hit about 180km/h in the 996TTS without even engaging the turbos, the GT2's chargers are engaged much earlier and hence the car feels much more like a N/A car.

    The pull is spectacular. It feels much faster than any other car I have driven recently incl. a 997GT3 and also Z06. This must be due to the huge amounts of torque which allows you to drive the car much more relaxed than a GT3 for example - virtually like a diesel!!! After putting some miles on the clock I got used to this power very quickly and now can even notice a difference in performance when the gas tank is full or nearly empty. We are a lucky and crazy bunch of people at the same time worrying about these sorts of things.

    The suspension feels pretty stiff, in particular going slow through towns or on motorways where very bumpy roads combined with some speed (>200km/h) can cause the front splitter to touch the ground. However, the suspension filters out small bumps much better than my previous car and the car feels planted all the time despite some constant vertical movement.

    Breaks are spectacular, as expected and the steering is very communicative. Overall it does really feel like a mix of GT3 and a Turbo engine. The engine noise is much more subdued than in a GT3 which on longer drives is not a bad thing. One can really hear the induction noise and also a noise which reminds me a blow-off valve/waste gate which I always thought the car would not have anymore!?

    The best thing for me, however, is the range of the car. It is quite easy to put 650-700km on the car which one gas tank! On limited motor ways (100km/h) it is quite easy to drop below 10 litres per 100km.

    I am already looking forward to put on the Sport Cups in spring to exploit the performance on the car to the max. Until then I will keep you updated with more impressions.

    Happy new year to you all!



    Very interesting write-up! Thanks for posting

    P.S.: Regarding your point on the seat backs: I will check in Zuffenhausen if they plan on offering a leather option. I mean, if this is no real carbon leather would be a perfect solution?

    Re: GT2 Short Review

    Thanks for the review, I am looking forward to your further impressions and pictures !

    Re: GT2 Short Review

    Thanks for sharing

    Re: GT2 Short Review

    Thanks for the review and congratulations on a true Super Car!

    Re: GT2 Short Review

    Give me more!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

    Re: GT2 Short Review

    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    OAB said:
    The only thing I want to mention is the new seats which are excellent imo and quite comfortable, even on longer drives. I think they are a bit wider than the bucket seats in the GT3. The only downside is that the back of the seats is not real carbon fibre but seems to be a very thin carbon fibre looks foil or paint instead. It scratches very easily! I scratched mine pretty badly the first time a put a bag in the back of the car (with the zipper of the bag).




    Very interesting write-up! Thanks for posting

    P.S.: Regarding your point on the seat backs: I will check in Zuffenhausen if they plan on offering a leather option. I mean, if this is no real carbon leather would be a perfect solution?



    The seat back is in fact real carbon, but like most (maybe all?) real carbon parts used in car interiors it has a clear coating to protect the surface and make it easy to wipe clean. Real carbon parts without a clear lacquer surface or a clear gel coat would look very dull and unattractive, would catch dirt easily and, I suspect, would discolor after extended exposure to light.
    The scratches you see are in the clear coat. If it is any consolation, a zipper would also have scratched a painted surface or a leather coated seat back!

    Re: GT2 Short Review

    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    OAB said:
    The only thing I want to mention is the new seats which are excellent imo and quite comfortable, even on longer drives. I think they are a bit wider than the bucket seats in the GT3. The only downside is that the back of the seats is not real carbon fibre but seems to be a very thin carbon fibre looks foil or paint instead. It scratches very easily! I scratched mine pretty badly the first time a put a bag in the back of the car (with the zipper of the bag).




    Very interesting write-up! Thanks for posting

    P.S.: Regarding your point on the seat backs: I will check in Zuffenhausen if they plan on offering a leather option. I mean, if this is no real carbon leather would be a perfect solution?



    The seat back is in fact real carbon, but like most (maybe all?) real carbon parts used in car interiors it has a clear coating to protect the surface and make it easy to wipe clean. Real carbon parts without a clear lacquer surface or a clear gel coat would look very dull and unattractive, would catch dirt easily and, I suspect, would discolor after extended exposure to light.
    The scratches you see are in the clear coat. If it is any consolation, a zipper would also have scratched a painted surface or a leather coated seat back!



    Didn't know that. Then CF can be accepted as is... No leather needed

    Re: GT2 Short Review

    Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Thanks for the review, I am looking forward to your further impressions and pictures !



    +1

    Re: GT2 Short Review

    Thanks a lot for posting.
    I really envy you

    Re: GT2 Short Review

    Quote:
    OAB said:
    The best thing for me, however, is the range of the car. It is quite easy to put 650-700km on the car which one gas tank! On limited motor ways (100km/h) it is quite easy to drop below 10 litres per 100km.

    Happy new year to you all!



    Happy new year to you OAB! Thanks for the review.Impressive indeed. Especially the part with overall consume. I should tell to my father that is better than his diesel!!!! less than 10 ltrs. / 100 km it is very impressive for a car with 525 hp!!!!

    Re: GT2 Short Review

    Quote:
    OAB said:
    I collected my car the week before Xmas and have put almost 3000km on it since then. The car is fitted with winter tires (Nokian) due to the cold temperatures in Germany but also for insurance reasons. The first 100km the tires where extremely slippery but since then I have been quite happy with their performance. Nevertheless, with a bit of moisture on the road it is easy to spin wheels under full acceleration even in fourth gear.

    I think I don't need to comment on the looks of the car, nor the interior. I will post some pictures when I had a chance to wash off all the dirt and salt water I collected yesterday. The only thing I want to mention is the new seats which are excellent imo and quite comfortable, even on longer drives. I think they are a bit wider than the bucket seats in the GT3. The only downside is that the back of the seats is not real carbon fibre but seems to be a very thin carbon fibre looks foil or paint instead. It scratches very easily! I scratched mine pretty badly the first time a put a bag in the back of the car (with the zipper of the bag).

    Overall the car is a riot and at the beginning I was amazed how fast the car felt compared to my previous 996 TTS. There is a huge amount of torque and the pull feels much more linear than before. While it was possible to hit about 180km/h in the 996TTS without even engaging the turbos, the GT2's chargers are engaged much earlier and hence the car feels much more like a N/A car.

    The pull is spectacular. It feels much faster than any other car I have driven recently incl. a 997GT3 and also Z06. This must be due to the huge amounts of torque which allows you to drive the car much more relaxed than a GT3 for example - virtually like a diesel!!! After putting some miles on the clock I got used to this power very quickly and now can even notice a difference in performance when the gas tank is full or nearly empty. We are a lucky and crazy bunch of people at the same time worrying about these sorts of things.

    The suspension feels pretty stiff, in particular going slow through towns or on motorways where very bumpy roads combined with some speed (>200km/h) can cause the front splitter to touch the ground. However, the suspension filters out small bumps much better than my previous car and the car feels planted all the time despite some constant vertical movement.

    Breaks are spectacular, as expected and the steering is very communicative. Overall it does really feel like a mix of GT3 and a Turbo engine. The engine noise is much more subdued than in a GT3 which on longer drives is not a bad thing. One can really hear the induction noise and also a noise which reminds me a blow-off valve/waste gate which I always thought the car would not have anymore!?

    The best thing for me, however, is the range of the car. It is quite easy to put 650-700km on the car which one gas tank! On limited motor ways (100km/h) it is quite easy to drop below 10 litres per 100km.

    I am already looking forward to put on the Sport Cups in spring to exploit the performance on the car to the max. Until then I will keep you updated with more impressions.

    Happy new year to you all!



    Hi OAB,

    in summary, how would you rate this car as a daily driver in the months of winter? Is it a compromise or would your argue that the GT2 can be used under all weather conditions? Would you feel better in a TT (with AWD) under extreme weather conditions? Many thanks

    Re: GT2 Short Review

    Hi OAB,

    in summary, how would you rate this car as a daily driver in the months of winter? Is it a compromise or would your argue that the GT2 can be used under all weather conditions? Would you feel better in a TT (with AWD) under extreme weather conditions? Many thanks



    Well I put it this way. I wouldn't want to go skiing with it (but same applies to any powerful RWD such as the AMGs etc.) and its probably not ideal for somebody who lives in the montains and has snow on the road 3 months a year. Apart from that I think it is not a bad all year driving proposal. I would be more concerned with other aspects, i.e. I am happy that I have a "normal" car to complement it for inner city driving and parking (ground clearance), more storage space and to seat 4 when needed. Also, even in Frankfurt where 911s are as common as VW Golfs it does turn heads and you don't always want that.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/16/22 11:50 AM
    BjoernB
     
     
     
     
     
    572455 1304
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/23/22 1:43 PM
    Rossi
    222054 1179
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/17/22 1:30 AM
    watt
    110835 955
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/1/22 7:14 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    108001 405
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    89147 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31388 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    511576 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    426871 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    423792 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    387125 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    364439 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 5/13/22 3:48 PM
    Grant
    345272 3536
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    289167 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    137299 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 4/25/22 7:26 PM
    bluelines
    134286 1388
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    110631 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    109634 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/20/22 3:29 PM
    Enmanuel
    107316 709
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 5/12/22 9:01 PM
    Leawood911
    92135 1637
    Porsche GT4RS 5/16/22 7:03 AM
    Porker
    83237 933
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    75642 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 4/12/22 9:24 PM
    blueflame
    74724 520
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 12/15/21 8:04 PM
    Topspeed
    70107 533
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    61582 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 4/4/22 7:10 AM
    GnilM
    54457 472
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 7/21/21 6:22 PM
    Topspeed
    53897 592
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 10/16/21 1:07 PM
    Pentium
    53813 719
    Others Corvette C8 11/8/21 8:04 PM
    Topspeed
    49751 442
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    26464 640
    AMG AMG plotting new SLR with hybrid power for 2018 launch 2/22/22 2:34 PM
    Topspeed
    23980 275
    227 items found, displaying 1 to 30.