Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Coupe or Cab

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:
    As far as the 'smug jerks' in their cabriolets,--I daresay that most people can see that demonstration by someone in a coupe, nearly as well, if that's an apt description...
    Dan

I dunno, driving a sports car with the top down in city traffic seems to evoke the same kind of eye-roll as a physically-fit person gets when they walk through a public venue with their shirt off...

You may just be enjoying the sunshine on your shoulders, but everyone else just thinks you're trying to show off...

Sure, screw what everyone else thinks, but it's an irritating side-effect...

To complete the analogy, in the coupe, you're just as susceptible to jealousy of your fitness, but at least you're wearing a shirt, and can't be mistaken for Joe Egomaniac.

Anybody else feel this way when they're driving in traffic in a convertible "premium" sports or luxury car?

Sure there's that feeling of "I hope they don't think I'm showing off" but I don't look around much and don't let it bother me. I'm sure that the opinion of others is only slightly reduced when they see you in your coupe.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

You may just be enjoying the sunshine on your shoulders, but everyone else just thinks you're trying to show off...

Anybody else feel this way when they're driving in traffic in a convertible "premium" sports or luxury car?

Yeah. I spend some time in an upscale trendy small town where "everybody" knows everybody. I hate driving topless there. It's like you can _almost_ guarantee you're going to be mentioned at dinner that night or at any other random meeting among citizens that day where

your dossier will be updated.

Some towns are fishbowls: bad place to drive topless.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:
    As far as the 'smug jerks' in their cabriolets,--I daresay that most people can see that demonstration by someone in a coupe, nearly as well, if that's an apt description...
    Dan

I dunno, driving a sports car with the top down in city traffic seems to evoke the same kind of eye-roll as a physically-fit person gets when they walk through a public venue with their shirt off...

To complete the analogy, in the coupe, you're just as susceptible to jealousy of your fitness, but at least you're wearing a shirt, and can't be mistaken for Joe Egomaniac.

I don't really consider the 997S a premium sports car. Thus, what you say has no applicability here. But then,--it may be the WHERE part of this that is the issue. Where I live a 997S Cabriolet doesn't stand out at all. There's not a day that goes by where I see Bentleys, Rolls Royces, Aston Martins, and other really pricy cars, and no one pays them any extra attention.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Yeah. I spend some time in an upscale trendy small town where "everybody" knows everybody. I hate driving topless there. It's like you can _almost_ guarantee you're going to be mentioned at dinner that night or at any other random meeting among citizens that day where

your dossier will be updated.

Some towns are fishbowls: bad place to drive topless.

I live in a trendy small town as well (SB) and it's not like that at all. There's better stuff to be talking about. Where do you live?

I own a 06 997S Cab, and unless I can srive with the top down it stays in the garage. Around here I see 20 911's a day and no one really takes notice. In the 430 coupe it does not matter were I would drive, people blowing horns, thumbs up's and kida sticking their cell phones out thir car windows to get a picture. I have always had a least one convertable, it just so happens that I think the 997S (though mine is very moded) is the best convertable with a rear seat there is.

Well, I guess I live in po-dunk cracker-jack horse-hockey boone-dock $hit-picker-ville....

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Well, I guess I live in po-dunk cracker-jack horse-hockey boone-dock $hit-picker-ville....

Couldn't spot your village on google earth - must be very remote

Well, to share a perspective from this side of the pond: cabs are quite popular over here in Germany (market share +/- 15%) and unless you drive a Lambo or other exotics nobody takes notice. In fact sometimes you even have more positive response (people saying thank you, if you stop before the Zebra-stripes etc.) or making nice comments like: "nice - exactly the right car for this sunny wheather".

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

There is absolutely no comparison between the Boxster and a 997 cabriolet. Porsche truly worked their magic to strengthen the 997 bodies.

Dan

Hi Dan, I'm not trying to be a troublemaker here but I just want to know. I was thinking the Boxster could run circles around Carrera Cab (and Coupe) in almost all low speed performance tests. Especially ones that focussed on problems with body flex.

Perhaps someone can't drive a Carrera,--then a Boxster could do that. The 997 Cabs are well put together now and there is no noticeable flex.

I never feel like I'm viewed as a show off. Actually, I find people feel free to start up conversations with me when I'm stopped at a light or in traffic, which, although friendly, can be intrusive to my space.

I also get a lot of thumbs-up and 'great cars'; unfortunately they're mostly from 11 year old boys rather than 23 year old women.

More often my experience parallels Scotty's. People feel free to start car or Porsche conversations just about anywhere, at the lights, parking downtown, at the filling station, etc. I had never envisioned such an overwhelming positive effect this car would have on others. Not sure if it is because it's a P car or a P Cab. Clearly when topless, folks are lured in closer and before you know it they're checking the interior and chatting away. While it can sometimes be a bit of an intrusion, I don't mind at all. The end result is a few moments of enjoyment for others and for me, too, for the small price of simply being neighborly. I can always afford that.

And I get tons of thumbs up and the like. I always fire back a return thank you. And like Scotty, I'd like more 23 year old women giving me the thumbs up too....but they'd have to be nearsighted 'cause I'm a fat, grey haired, long over the hill, buzzard !

Quote:
    Dan L said:

I live in a trendy small town as well (SB) and it's not like that at all. There's better stuff to be talking about. Where do you live?

Yeah..., sorry (again)..., maybe I've overstated my "fish bowl" situation a little bit. SB is definitely a cool place. Not everywhere's like that though: consider yourself blessed.

Well it is too late now, because you already ordered, but I prefer the cab also. I do drive with the top down at night when it cools off. During the ungodly heat the top is up. When deciding coupe or cab I asked myself this. If I had a coupe would I look and still want a cab? The answer was, yes. The cab with the top up is quite and is free of noise and flex. I think the car is the best of all worlds. My friend just got a new 997 TT. I went over his house, drove it. He than came to my house and drove mine. He than said he would get rid of it and buy a TT cab in 2 years. This is after he had his car for 4 hours. There is something about a cab.....

I HAVE HAD COUPES AND CABS WITH HARD TOP. In the end three things made me go with a coupe for my present car. First the lines of a coupe are cleaner. Second the damn soft tops still are noiser and creak. Third I love the sun roof in cooler days when it it too chilly for the top to be down. What of the new Targa? One more point. My wife has a hard top convertible Lexus sc430 and 4 skin cancers (basal cell) on her face. (She wears a big hat and sun block, but the sun is fun and oh so dangerous.

Yesterday evening, I was driving through the Aldgate area just to the east of the City (the traditional financial district in London). A bunch of construction workers were having beers outside a bar in the sun. I was at a traffic light. They were 15 metres away but started talking to me. My roof and window were open. They were gently ribbing me - "hey, is that a rental?" etc etc. It was all good natured fun. I don't think they would do that if I were in an Italian exotic.

People feel comfortable with Porsches. They are the 'sexy girl next door' sports car rather than the 'I'm a supermodel from another world, I'm totally unattainable and far superior to you' kind of sports car.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

People feel comfortable with Porsches. They are the 'sexy girl next door' sports car rather than the 'I'm a supermodel from another world, I'm totally unattainable and far superior to you' kind of sports car.

Good observation.

No wonder my first wife was such a problem!

It's definitely the cab rather than the Porsche effect. I had the same experience in my old 325iC. People just feel that you are somehow inviting conversation because the top's down. It's really strange, but usually not offensive.

I passed a beautiful red 911 cab in mint condition a month or so ago on Rt 17 in Paramus, both our tops were down, and we both waved and smiled at each other. With a coupe, the most would have been headlight flicker.

Quote:
    cag64 said:
    I am looking to purchase 997 C2S torn between coupe or the cab. Any thoughts? This suppose to be my last major car purchase.

If this is your last major car purchase then get the cab fully loaded!

Quote:
    cag64 said:
    I am looking to purchase 997 C2S torn between coupe or the cab. Any thoughts? This suppose to be my last major car purchase.

PS. I bet it will not be your last major purchase either. We all say that.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    cag64 said:

PS. I bet it will not be your last major purchase either. We all say that.

LOL! True..., sooooo true.

If guys wouldn't fight it so much there's probably a Turbo in everybody's future here.

I think I can offer an interesting perspective here. Bought 997 cpe in Feb. 2005, traded it in for 997 cab in Aug. 2005. Traded it in for my wife's FJ Cruiser in 2006. Will soon be getting an '07 Cpe. Could have gotten the cab but I just prefer the looks of the Cpe better, although both are awesome. With the redesign of the sunroof deflector beg. in MY '06, you don't get the oscillating noise in the cabin anymore with the sunroof open.

Patriot

Finally!! will pick up my New C2S Coupe on Saturday (10/29/07). Waited 88 days for the car to arrive after selling my 986 just before the 4th of July. Days seem even longer now!

excellent choice!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    748151 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt

451257 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 9/21/21 11:01 AM
    Leawood911
    166514 1101
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/17/21 8:59 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    65479 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/22/21 1:03 AM
    watt
    54141 512
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    46497 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    42954 380
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    11998 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    465095 3586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 6/25/21 2:56 PM
    the-missile
    384877 3506
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 8/12/21 4:57 PM
    Topspeed
    381320 3918
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    347301 3252
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    337127 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    317024 2646
    Porsche 992 GT3 9/17/21 4:41 PM
    lexs4
    262513 2975
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 7/20/21 3:10 PM
    Topspeed
    249882 1567
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    167435 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    143220 792
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    117956 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM