Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Alfa Romeo 4C

SuzyF:

My heart tells me that I really need this car.... As a replacement for my Boxster, it should be the Spider version though smiley

You should listen to your heart! Smiley Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

The downshifts are ok in Dynamic mode. The box isn't as good as the latest PDK systems but thus far I'm impressed with it.

Rear vision through the engine bay glass cover isn't a strong point in the coupe but the spider should be better in this regard as it has a vertical rear window like the 458 spider. I'd love to try a car on the standard suspension to see if the race suspension that comes as standard on the Launch Edition cars is the cause of the tramlining/road crown following issues on poor paved surfaces. As far as the ride quality goes it's not firmer than the Cayman R set up so I find it quite comfortable. My 430 Scuderia was certainly harsher over some particular bad local minor roads.

Entry and exit might be more challenging for using the car as a daily depending upon where an owner parks. Due to the high carbon tub sills you need to swing the door open quite wide to get in and out easily so it my be a challenge in tight car parks as the car is pretty wide.

ISUK:

Entry and exit might be more challenging for using the car as a daily depending upon where an owner parks. Due to the high carbon tub sills you need to swing the door open quite wide to get in and out easily so it my be a challenge in tight car parks as the car is pretty wide.

Warning: ladies should avoid short skirts Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Iain, my apologies. To be honest, I never was sure of the correct spelling. My bad.Smiley

The 4C is a terrific addition to your stable. It is a unique toss around car which most do not have let alone seen. The 987 looks pedestrian next to it.Smiley

SuzyF:

My heart tells me that I really need this car.... As a replacement for my Boxster, it should be the Spider version though smiley

If the soft top on this test mule is made as a single piece item with a collapsible frame like the original 911 targa so it can be quickly removed and stored in the trunk then I'd say go for it Smiley

Mule 1.JPG

nberry:

Iain, my apologies. To be honest, I never was sure of the correct spelling. My bad.Smiley

No problem NickSmiley

ISUK:
    reginos:

The 4C is a nice car but I find it rather toy-like. It is not as complete as a Cayman GTS but it costs 2/3 of the Porsche, but still it is not a great value.

Nevertheless, Alfa should manage to make some models that a substantial number of buyers are willing to buy if they wish to make a viable business out of their operation. I don't think that the 4C will make much difference to their struggling business.

I've got a Cayman GTS coming in August which was quite a bit more expensive than the Alfa. Which car do you think will attract more admiring attention or create a conversation when filling up with petrol? Smiley I will also happily wager that the Alfa will retain far more of it's value over any given time period due to rarity and looks. I also know which one will be an "event" to drive Smiley

Will it be the car to save Alfa? .... No, but it's a realistic starting point to gain some attention. Will it be fun ......... YES! Smiley

Very Nice Alfa Iain. Smiley Enjoy her fully in good health. Smiley

What are the specs of Cayman GTS? Since I really much like our base Cayman, Cayman GTS -and BMW M4- is one of my favorite -reasonable priced- sports cars.  

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

KresoF1:

My friend which lives in Milano told me that 4C id the worst sportscar that he drove in last decade. He is italian and owns F12 and new 991 GT3.

Kreso,

To be fair, he is not a good example for a 4C owner. He should be spoiled by the wonderful F12 and GT3, that he wouldn't like any other sports car except Speciale and 650S.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

ISUK:

Well I've just been out for a 50 mile blast and it is a hoot to drive. The wave of torque in 5th gear is utterly addictive and the acceleration simply incredible for a 1750 turbo 4 cylinder. It just goes to show what light weight does for dramatically improving performance. I'm blow away by it to be honest and just love the styling, especially in this satin finish metallic white which shows the shape of the car off beautifully. The amount of positive reaction I've had to it on the road from other cars and pedestrians is simply amazing.

I've no idea how Alfa have made a humble 1.7 turbo 4 sound so good. The steering does get caught out by surface cambers, road crowns etc if pressing on but you learn to deal with it and it adds to the sense of drama.

A quick couple of pics I've taken.

1402329550444Web 4.JPG

1402329735467Web 3.JPG

Beautiful garden you have Iain. Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

pride355:
    KresoF1:

My friend which lives in Milano told me that 4C id the worst sportscar that he drove in last decade. He is italian and owns F12 and new 991 GT3.

Kreso,

To be fair, he is not a good example for a 4C owner. He should be spoiled by the wonderful F12 and GT3, that he wouldn't like any other sports car except Speciale and 650S.

I don't think this was the interpretation. Drivers of very fast special cars can also recognise and appreciate good sportscars of other classes below in spite of the speed deficit. For example you drive an Italia but you can recognise the worth of a basic Cayman 300 HP below. 

The 4C in spite of its charm and signs of a long awaited alfa romeo comeback, seems to have drawbacks for a serious sportscar. If someone chooses to concentrate too much on the style and the novelty he might not pay too much attention to those. A situation that makes both Alfa and the owner happy.

--

"Form follows function"

Onur,

Here is the screen capture of the Cayman GTS spec. I have already put PTV on the spec then removed it twice as I couldn't make up my mind. After doing a bit of research it's not really required as this car will be used as a daily by my other half and she won't need PTV.

Spec.JPG

ISUK if I may add something to your specification. If you get the external black plastic parts (front intakes and spoiler, rear diffuser, mirrors base)  painted black instead of raw plastic, the car will look more expensive and neat and it will be easier to clean.

It's the GTS Exterieur- Paket schwarz option 089.

--

"Form follows function"

I'd only have spec'ed the black package if going for the gloss black wheel option. It does not work with the satin platinum wheels IMHO. The standard plastic exterior trim is easy to care for if you apply the right products to protect it from the outset

We wanted to have something different to the Cayman R the GTS is replacing as it has gloss black wheels and side vents. The platinum against the Carmine red gives a look more like the 430 Scuderia I used to own

Carmine Red 1.JPG

Thanks ISUK for your reply. Apparently you have everything thought out.

What care products are you using for the exterior plastic trim?

--

"Form follows function"

I use Swisswax vinyl and plastic Protection and also G Techniqu's C4 Permanent Trim Restorer. Both are very good.

ISUK:

I use Swisswax vinyl and plastic Protection and also G Techniqu's C4 Permanent Trim Restorer. Both are very good.

Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

ISUK:

I'd only have spec'ed the black package if going for the gloss black wheel option. It does not work with the satin platinum wheels IMHO. The standard plastic exterior trim is easy to care for if you apply the right products to protect it from the outset

We wanted to have something different to the Cayman R the GTS is replacing as it has gloss black wheels and side vents. The platinum against the Carmine red gives a look more like the 430 Scuderia I used to own

Carmine Red 1.JPG

Lovely! Smiley

--

reginos:
    pride355:
    KresoF1:

Kreso,

I don't think this was the interpretation. Drivers of very fast special cars can also recognise and appreciate good sportscars of other classes below in spite of the speed deficit. For example you drive an Italia but you can recognise the worth of a basic Cayman 300 HP below. 

The 4C in spite of its charm and signs of a long awaited alfa romeo comeback, seems to have drawbacks for a serious sportscar. If someone chooses to concentrate too much on the style and the novelty he might not pay too much attention to those. A situation that makes both Alfa and the owner happy.

--

"Form follows function"

Reginos,

You have valid points but from what I see, most of the high end sports cars drivers are spoiled by the best cars in their segments. I'm a motorist and I can appreciate any car from A3 sportback 1.6 TDI to F30 316i as long as it has dynamic ride and quality feel unlike most Ferrari drivers.

However, I haven't driven the new 4C and my talks are full speculation.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

ISUK:

Onur,

Here is the screen capture of the Cayman GTS spec. I have already put PTV on the spec then removed it twice as I couldn't make up my mind. After doing a bit of research it's not really required as this car will be used as a daily by my other half and she won't need PTV.

Spec.JPG

Iain,

Excellent exterior/interior color choices with the best (for me at least) wheel option. Smiley

However, if I were to put (and I wouldn't) sport Suspension and bucket seats (I love them), I would definately go for the PTV, at least for the next owner. Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

ISUK:

Onur,

Spec.JPG

Consider changing option 619 for option 666. The latter gives you the full telephone module with an external antenna (access via Bluetooth). Better reception and less radiation in the cabin.

--

base price for the US version of the 4C has been announced as $54K plus shipping , about same as base  US price of a non-S Cayman, neither with options , and if each priced with typical options , in the high $60s

it weighs 300 + pounds more than the ROW version due to US crash standards , but still less than 2500 pounds.. which  still puts it about 500-600  pounds less than a US spec Cayman , vs the 900 pound difference in ROW trim

I have not followed development of this car..are its published performance numbers closer to base Cayman or Cayman S? 

Iain, I run a bit late for congratulations, but nevertheless many congrats on your fabulous new purchase. wink

For me the 4C is one of the most tempting new cars currently available on the market. Light, reasonably powered (for such weight), great design and very handy dimensions. kiss

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Compliments, soooo coool car, cant wait to hear more about how it goes.......

bravisssimo

--

993 c2

ISUK - Congratulations on the new car.

Alfa's dealer network in the States leaves much to be desired and Marchionne has overstepped reality with the most recent five year plan for the marque.  There is no way it will grow to the volumes forecasted, especially with the limited product line.  Many dealers in the States are totally disgusted with the very slow Fiat roll out of two basic models, the Fiat 500 and 500L and thought that they were eligible to add Alfa-Romeo to the line.  Unfortunately, Marchionne is trying to establish a separate network for Alfa-Romeo with the possibility of leveraging of Maserati.  Briefly, his plans are disastrous in this market.

Other significant bad news includes the enormous weight increase in the U.S. variant of the 4C.  Reports put the weight gain at over 300 pounds or close to 140 kg!  That alone hampers the performance of the car and has made it essentially, especially when combined with the dealer issues, a non-starter in the U.S.

If the weight increase is true, there needs to be a reason for it. I kind of started to be worried about the safety of the European version of the 4C. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

If the weight increase is true, there needs to be a reason for it. I kind of started to be worried about the safety of the European version of the 4C. 

Safety and a few options like A/C; however, the greatest extent of the weight gain is additional safety equipment required for sale in the United States.

CGX car nut:
    RC:

Safety and a few options like A/C; however, the greatest extent of the weight gain is additional safety equipment required for sale in the United States.

The European and US safety legislation requirements are not so far apart that a weight difference of 300 pounds between the two versions of the same model for those two markets can be plausibly explained, as witnessed by the fact that you do not get such differences with other vehicles sold in both markets. In the case of most car models the differences are limited to certification stickers and software, neither of which are known to be particularly heavy.

Sounds like the facts or figures have got distorted here somehow. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    Sounds like the facts or figures have got distorted here somehow

Would make sense... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I know the reason for the enormous weight increase of the US-version: smiley

For all my American friends here at rennteam: no offense intended! cool

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Iain, I run a bit late for congratulations, but nevertheless many congrats on your fabulous new purchase. wink

For me the 4C is one of the most tempting new cars currently available on the market. Light, reasonably powered (for such weight), great design and very handy dimensions. kiss

Thanks Stefan Smiley  The car is a lot of fun and takes you back to what driving is about as it gets a bit lively as the speeds rise thanks to the lack of power steering. I took it out for a 100 mile + run yesterday and had great fun on some fairly quiet roads around the Cotswolds. There is a great switchback type climb call Fish Hill near Broadway that provided a lot of entertainment in particular  Smiley The upshifts in Dynamic mode remind me of the Scuderia as you get quite a thump in the back if you keep the throttle buried as you shift up. As you point out the dimensions of the car are far better than the 458 for driving on narrower country roads. The 458 is huge in comparison.

ISUK:
    ...there is a great switchback type climb call Fish Hill near Broadway that provided a lot of entertainment...

I know it well kiss I'm from Cheltenham originally..

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    748159 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt

451273 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 9/21/21 11:01 AM
    Leawood911
    166541 1101
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/17/21 8:59 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    65508 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/22/21 7:09 AM
    BjoernB
    54188 515
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    46497 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    42958 380
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    11998 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    465159 3586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 6/25/21 2:56 PM
    the-missile
    384888 3506
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 8/12/21 4:57 PM
    Topspeed
    381345 3918
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    347358 3252
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    337313 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    317046 2646
    Porsche 992 GT3 9/17/21 4:41 PM
    lexs4
    262528 2975
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 7/20/21 3:10 PM
    Topspeed
    249905 1567
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    167474 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    143245 792
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    117978 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM