Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2013 Belgian F1 Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps

So, the latest news is that Raikkonen's negotiations with RBR broke down leaving the seat open for Ricciardo.

Suffering withdrawal symptoms without F1 :) thank goodness F1 is back!

Will be fascinating to watch!

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2013 Belgian F1 Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps

Looks like both Sat & Sun could see some rain to spice things up ...

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

What a Q3!

Alonso drove the wheels off his Ferrari but he was still powerless to catch Vettel.

Vettel extracted the performance from what is still comfortably the fastest car on the grid. The fact that Webber was some distance behind just shows how inconsistently Webber extracts the maximum from the car. I can only imagine the points lead RBR would have if both their drivers were consistent.

Hamilton and Rosberg drove well today but their cars lack the ultimate pace of RBR.

Vettel clearly has a serious image problem. He is getting booed at every podium interview. Winning at all costs is ugly. It tarnished Schumacher's reputation and legacy but it seems Vettel does not mind about that (yet).

Sadly, a very undramatic race. It was over on the first lap.

--

Just before the podium, a silent Alonso looked utterly in despair, knowing that he just doesn't have the car to mount a successful challenge to Vettel.

--

easy_rider911:

Just before the podium, a silent Alonso looked utterly in despair, knowing that he just doesn't have the car to mount a successful challenge to Vettel.

An all time talent also qualifies as such by successfully developing the car into a championship car (like Schumacher did when he moved to Ferrari). Alonso probably knows that as well... 

MKSGR:
    easy_rider911:

An all time talent also qualifies as such by successfully developing the car into a championship car (like Schumacher did when he moved to Ferrari). Alonso probably knows that as well... 

+1, exactly.

MKSGR:
    easy_rider911:

The driver can only do so much for the development of the car, mostly limited to giving feedback along with the test drivers and that's it. the wind tunnel engineer's role for example is be 100 times more influential in today's formula one cars.

That is what Alonso knows and hence his despair... he can drive the wheels of the car, extract more from it that his rivals it won't matter, the leader has a car that is easily a second faster per lap on  season average, and he can't do a thing about that. He is regarded as the fastest driver in the grid time and time again by the F1 team's themselves and by the drivers in polls but no driver can make up that gap in today's cars...

That idea of the driver being responsible for the cars engineering development is a myth. The lotus has been on average faster than the Ferrari this season with Kimi, can anyone be as naive as to say that it's because Kimi who is known to not get involved in car development has developed the car more than Alonso who is know to be a perfectionist and somewhat anal about testing and development? 

--

easy_rider911:

Vettel clearly has a serious image problem. He is getting booed at every podium interview. Winning at all costs is ugly. It tarnished Schumacher's reputation and legacy but it seems Vettel does not mind about that (yet).

The best in every area generates jealousy, from school to F1. Unfortunately, both Vettel and Scumacher are among the best. 

I like Vettel as an individual (from TV interviews) and I don't see how he spoils his image. 

I cannot also relate to your "winning at all costs" statement. Next time he will slow down and wait for others in the spirit of fair play.

--

"Form follows function"

Carlos from Spain:

That idea of the driver being responsible for the cars engineering development is a myth. The lotus has been on average faster than the Ferrari this season with Kimi, can anyone be as naive as to say that it's because Kimi who is known to not get involved in car development has developed the car more than Alonso who is know to be a perfectionist and somewhat anal about testing and development? 

The fact that Lotus is not a serious title challenger, maybe due to Raikkonen's indifference. A very good car which cannot progress further due to the driver's lack of input.

Ferrari are back to their problematic selves. What can Alonso do? He doesn't own the team or choose the management and the personnel.

--

"Form follows function"

easy_rider911:

Vettel clearly has a serious image problem. He is getting booed at every podium interview.

Not this time:

http://loosewheelnut.co.uk/post/59298187922/laura-teapot-people-werent-booing-seb-for

Did you see Vettel on TopGear or with Letterman? The audience loved him.

I don´t think he has a more serious image problem than f.e. Alonso...Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

On Top Gear, Vettel was very narural and an excellent communicator. OTOH, if someone wins the title 3 years in a row he is bound to have "enemies". Something like Manchester United in football.

Alonso has no image really. I am not saying this in a derogatory manner as far as his driving is concerned, which is very consumate, but as a figure he  doesn't generate much interest.

--

"Form follows function"

I think the TV/media coverage one watches/follows has such a big impact on how one views a driver. Schumacher's (and now Vettel's) images are different inside and outside Germany IMvHO.

I personally respect Vettel's ability to extract the performance from the car. He is ultra consistent and rarely makes mistakes.

But I am not persuaded that he outperforms his equipment. Obviously, no one actually outperforms their equipment literally but it is just a figurative expression used to describe a driver who, through skill/sheer determination etc is able to get a race result that the car had no earthly right to expect (given its capability). There are very few drivers one could describe this way. I think Alonso did this in 2012 with a very bad Ferrari car. I don't think Alonso has outdriven his car in 2013 like he did last year.

I don't like Vettel on a personal level. My view is based on dozens upon dozens of instances of seeing how he behaves, how he answers questions, the decisions he makes. That's just my personal view, which doesn't matter to anyone else one bit. It just matters to me.

The point about slowing down for others as fair play is just silly. I think the multi21 saga is the kind of incident I'm talking about. Making contemptuous, dismissive comments like "Mark is too slow. Get him out of the way" was disgusting IMO. Making rotating finger gestures in Turkey to describe Mark Webber as crazy was also inappropriate. These are just a few examples. There are plenty of other things I base my opinion upon.

Anyway, like I said, this is my view of him. Others can love Vettel for all I care. It makes no difference to me.

--

I thought it was hilarious to watch the crowd booing Vettel then they would stop booing when Coulthard was talking and then they would resume booing when Vettel was answering. It was just funny ... I couldn't stop laughing.

--

All the booing and hullabaloo was caused by and because of the Greenpeace protest.

No one including the Press linked this to Vettel  yes who won a most straightforward race.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

All the booing and hullabaloo was caused by and because of the Greenpeace protest.

No one including the Press linked this to Vettel  yes who won a most straightforward race.

--

"Form follows function"

Smiley

I was waiting for the rain ... a boring race...Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

Regardless of pleasing the crowd; to see a race finish with Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, and Rosberg was a really good day for me!

Rosberg started in 4th and ended in 4th a great achievement in the same car that is known for more qualifying pace than race pace and gave Hamilton a start in 1st and finish in 3rd (Hamilton is still IMHO the better talent over his teammate). Vettel started 2nd and ended 1st (might look like he only moved up one spot, but who else could he pass?) Alonso started in 9th and ended 2nd, not a bad day at all!

I missed seeing Raikkonen at the finish of the race, but in the rest of the drivers; I am still looking for consistent talent.

reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

Yes, no one was booing SV. People were actually cheering him. No character issues in Belgium for him, as in UK.

This is what happened at the beginning and continued around SC interviews, and it's hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pRBVGKFgAUU

How come Mark W always makes poor starts, he would finish so much more on the podiums if he just sorted his starts out..Puts himself in traffic straight away...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Yes - consistant talent is what it is all about.  Kimi has it in spades - anyone knows what caused his break problem?

At any rate - great race - wish it would have rained of course.  Alonso would have won IMHO in the rain. (given a Kimi retirement)

Leawood911: Alonso would have won IMHO in the rain. (given a Kimi retirement)

Vettel is a rain master too. Think of his first F1 win.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Leawood911: Alonso would have won IMHO in the rain. (given a Kimi retirement)

Vettel is a rain master too. Think of his first F1 win.

That was legendary. I bet he needs to win another 4 straight championships for the haters to admit how good he is Smiley

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    629560 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

389406 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 7/4/21 12:06 PM
    nberry
    91491 1094
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 7/28/21 4:07 PM
    pgouveia
    49398 354
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    37378 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    34886 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 7/30/21 10:05 AM
    Porker
    21587 464
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    5741 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    446711 3586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 6/25/21 2:56 PM
    the-missile
    373598 3506
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 6/22/21 5:42 PM
    Topspeed
    373268 3917
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    335951 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    312696 2646
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    279593 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 7/20/21 3:10 PM
    Topspeed
    239315 1567
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    163611 1379
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/31/21 11:32 PM
    bvineyards
    149740 2840
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    139609 792
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM