Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Gallardo Brakes: Steel vs Ceramic

Like the title says, which one can be compared to Porsche's PCCB ? GT2 in my case, which has been flawless since 2008.

Deadline for me is till mid July, help me out here guys "To Ceramic or Not to Ceramic" Smiley

Some say the Ceramic is by far the best and some other swear that they are mushy compared to the Steel and would stay away, what's the deal ?  Smiley

C&D
    - Carbon-ceramic brakes are an option which, if our experience with the last model carries over, should be avoided on account of their nearly unmanageable grabbiness.

Motorauthority
    - The optional carbon-ceramic brakes are also excellent, though we wish Lamborghini would follow cross-town rival Ferrari’s example and make them standard on the new model. Still, there’s not much to complain about when you’re spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a car and the brakes deliver up to 1.2g of seatbelt-straining force.
    - The LP560-4 isn't brilliant in all areas though. The carbon-ceramic brakes still lack proper feel for stop-and-go traffic, a problem we’ve noticed on a number of other cars fitted with them, including the McLaren SLR (not sold here) and the Porsche Carrera GT (now out of production).

C&D
    - The only chink in the armor is the car bon-ceramic brake system that commands $15,600 over the standard brakes. As far as we can tell, the first few inches of brake-pedal travel has little effect on the brakes; meanwhile, the Lambo continues to hurtle toward Internet immortality on www.wrecked exotics.com. Keep pushing, and without warning, the brakes clamp down hard, and you’ve stopped well short of the stoplight. Passengers will wonder why you seem incapable of driving your Italian toy smoothly, you’ll regret spending Honda Civic money on a set of unsatisfying brakes, and you might just get rear-ended by a Toyota Corolla whose driver was trying to snap a picture of your car. The Gallardo Superleggera we tested in November 2007 had even worse brake feel. Feel aside, the brakes achieve an excellent 158-foot stop from 70 mph, but the all-or-nothing touchiness is inexcusable.

6speedonline
    - I don't have the 560 but I do have the 640 with CCB . Awesome braking power is all I can say and yes , they are good for daily driving as well and have minimal to no fade as they last 5 times longer than the normal brakes. I opted for CCB because my LP was to be a permanent collection car for me.

EVO UK
    - The brake pedal is worthy of a mention too: Lamborghini more than any other car maker has struggled with pedal feel on its ceramic brakes, but they’re much better on this Gallardo than on the last one I drove. Of course, we didn’t even get the blighters hot on our road route. (LP570-4)

Autocar
    - We tried the Gallardo with optional carbon-ceramic brakes, and although these work well once warmed, they do feel a bit dead on the road.

dr-autoreview blogspot
    - Steering feel is much improved, but the optional carbon-ceramic brakes take finesse to master.

EVO UK (560 Spyder)
    - These brakes are much better than the optional carbon-ceramic items we’ve had on most of the Gallardos we’ve tried (and which, strangely, only have six-pot calipers on the front). They give more feel through the pedal – although it’s still not perfect — and don’t show any signs of wilting in a long and tight descent.

Insideline (570-4 SL)
    - Luckily, the 2011 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera slows down even quicker than it accelerates thanks to monster carbon-ceramic brake discs and six-piston front calipers. At the start of our day the brake pedal sat high and bit hard and early, with wonderful progression all the way to the floor even when the rarely bothered ABS had to wake up. And at the end of our day, after being thumped repeatedly for hours on end, nothing had changed.

- This car would stop even better with a softer suspension, though, and on most corners, it would have more grip, too. At the very least, it would make you less worried, because the bumps would throw you around a lot less midcorner.

EVO UK
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTURVn4XDLI

Motor Trend
    - And if you get in over your head, charley-horse your leg on the brake pedal and those indefatigable carbon binders will throw you into the shoulder harness with upward of 1.5 g of whoa, halting in 299 feet from 100 mph (our seventh best production car), and 104 feet from 60 mph.

Re: Gallardo Brakes: Steel vs Ceramic

I have never had the opportunity to drive a car equipped with CCBs, however, the longevity of the braking surfaces vs. steel combined with the lower amounts of brake dust and increased braking ability would lean me in the direction of CCBs over steel - however, the their needs to be some degree of price to value rationalization.

IMO get ceramic discs if you intend to drive the car only on public roads or if you don't mind the high cost of replacement (if you track the car, the discs will no longer last for the lifetime of the car) ...

If you plan to track the car (and want to keep replacement costs down), then get steel rotors ...

As for brake feel, my humble advice ... don't decide based on what others think ... try it for yourself and make your own choice ... if the car isn't available yet, try another model from the same manufacturer ... that's better than following second-hand advice from a magazine ...

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

IMO get ceramic discs if you intend to drive the car only on public roads or if you don't mind the high cost of replacement (if you track the car, the discs will no longer last for the lifetime of the car) ...

If you plan to track the car (and want to keep replacement costs down), then get steel rotors ...

As for brake feel, my humble advice ... don't decide based on what others think ... try it for yourself and make your own choice ... if the car isn't available yet, try another model from the same manufacturer ... that's better than following second-hand advice from a magazine ...

My dealer tells me anyone who ordered a Gallardo never bothered nor asked about the ceramics, the only car equipped  with ceramics as std now is the Aventador and the result has been excellent braking.

I would take CCB on the next car, too. The performance you only can feel once the disk it hot IMO but simply the fact that you have always clean rims is worth every penny smiley

100% agree with Easy - those who track their cars frequently don't tick that option - but if you drive yr car on public roads only and don't mind the costs the PCCB is a fantastic option and you have a much cleaner wheel all the time. If costs are NO issue take the PCCB - altough you won't feel a big difference to steel. I drove both - but I am happy with the steel once although I like yellow more than red

Thanks guys!

The car for sure won't be heading to the track, many people on Lambo forums seem to not understand that CCB needs to be warmed up before it bites hard and throws your passenger out of the windshield smiley

I honestly wouldn't buy another Porsche without PCCB particularly the 911, but I've never had driven the Lambo and was wondering what's the deal with people whinning and crying about dead pedal and all of a sudden it gets firm.

One more question for those who owned a Gallardo, would you put a tick on "Rear View Camera" ?

I forgot to mention that in my PM-for rear view camera you need to order Navi.

Thanks Kreso!

I guess I'll just avoid using the navi since it won't be the latest as you said heart

I really like the Gallardo, it's a great car. And sorry for maybe being a bit negative on this, but wouldn't you rather wait a bit for the new model instead of buying at the end of the model life? 

Enmanuel:

I really like the Gallardo, it's a great car. And sorry for maybe being a bit negative on this, but wouldn't you rather wait a bit for the new model instead of buying at the end of the model life? 

If you can send a message to Mr. Winkelmann and Maurizio Reggiani to revive the the conventional manual box, I'd be more than happy to wait a couple more months, I was ready to order the Super Trofeo Stradale with manual + rwd but the answer was NO! Smiley

I'm pulling the trigger for two good reasons (being patient since 2004): Manual Gearbox + Rear-Wheel Drive, some people think I'm still a primitive driver, but I honestly can't find myself keeping the car for more than a year or two whenever I end up with an Auto gearbox, whether it was tiptronic or DSG add to the list the new Cayenne TT which I traded in this year (8/2010).

Good read for you Enmanuel, if you're a true petrolhead Smiley
    http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/05/an-afternoon-with-a-legend/

Manual - Excellent choice!

I agree with Easy - 100%.  I love my PCCB for the street.  Not only will the rotors last the lifetime but I would not be surprised if my pad go 200K no problem.  The BEST part is no brake dust!  If you seat them properly they will not squeal either. 

I have never had brakes that are so easy to modulate and finesse - so I have no idea if the Lambo brakes are different from the PCCB I have.  They should be similar so I don't understand why some say they are so grabby or abrupt.  I LOVE MINE.

I have been looking at the little Lambo, - used of course.  I would also prefer the manual.

BiTurbo:
    Enmanuel:

If you can send a message to Mr. Winkelmann and Maurizio Reggiani to revive the the conventional manual box, I'd be more than happy to wait a couple more months, I was ready to order the Super Trofeo Stradale with manual + rwd but the answer was NO! Smiley

I'm pulling the trigger for two good reasons (being patient since 2004): Manual Gearbox + Rear-Wheel Drive, some people think I'm still a primitive driver, but I honestly can't find myself keeping the car for more than a year or two whenever I end up with an Auto gearbox, whether it was tiptronic or DSG add to the list the new Cayenne TT which I traded in this year (8/2010).

Good read for you Enmanuel, if you're a true petrolhead Smiley
    http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/05/an-afternoon-with-a-legend

I understand your reasoning. If this car makes you feel they way you want to feel then go for it. I for one love the gallardo and I think a RWD would be a huge joy to drive. I just hope you post a lot of pictures once you get it. 

And what an amazing article! I'm usually not a fan of modified exotics but this one was done with so much care that it looks great  , thanks a lof for the link I very very much enjoyed it. I've only seen an F40 once and from a distance but it's one of my favorite Ferraris ever, much more than its successor the F50.

BjoernB:

100% agree with Easy - those who track their cars frequently don't tick that option - but if you drive yr car on public roads only and don't mind the costs the PCCB is a fantastic option and you have a much cleaner wheel all the time. If costs are NO issue take the PCCB - altough you won't feel a big difference to steel. I drove both - but I am happy with the steel once although I like yellow more than red

Smiley Once PCCB, always PCCB...unless someone seriously track races the car (replacement discs are just too expensive and no, they won't last very long if you seriously track race the car).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

The only assumption to note is whether the Gallardo CCBs last as long as the Porsche PCCBs in regular road use ... one would expect this to be the case ... given the Audi involvement ...

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

The only assumption to note is whether the Gallardo CCBs last as long as the Porsche PCCBs in regular road use ... one would expect this to be the case ... given the Audi involvement ...

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/49-wheel-tire-discussion/6244-anyone-have-audi-ceramic-brakes-their-r8.html#post63229

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/49-wheel-tire-discussion/6244-anyone-have-audi-ceramic-brakes-their-r8-2.html#post95546

R8 owners are more open minded people and don't mind pushing their cars to the limit, unlike Lambo owners that only go for the Lifting System and call it a day Smiley

on this point, has anybody had trouble with STEEL brakes on an LP570 on track?

a very good friend of mine who tracks regularly (also owns a GTR and 3.8 GT3 with PCCB, both standard brakes) has had repeated brake fade problems with his Lambo on-track.

the track is NOT big, and speeds at the end of the straight are only approx 190-200kph in the Lambo.  i was in car with him once, and we had a big moment where the pedal went to the floor, and it was only quick pumping of the pedal and downshift, plus a good runoff area that saved us.

after this incident, he bled the brakes, put new dot 4 fluid in, and yet the problem remains.  the car has less than 5k kms on it, virtually brand new.

is this normal for Lambo brakes?  in the GTR and Porsche, no problems of this sort.

--
    '07 Cayenne TT '06 Ruf RT12 '06 GT3 '06 Jeep SRT8 '03 911 TT '99 MB E55 '98 Evo 5 '87 BMW M3

I think that the 570-4 a.k.a. Superleggera comes with carbon ceramic items only. Are you sure it's a Superleggera?

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

yes 100% sure

its this car (on the right obviously).  also have videos of it

--
    '07 Cayenne TT '06 Ruf RT12 '06 GT3 '06 Jeep SRT8 '03 911 TT '99 MB E55 '98 Evo 5 '87 BMW M3

Update: My little Lambo will be showing up this week according to my dealer and it's the only 2013 Lambo with a stick, which will steer away everyone once they see the 3 missing center console buttons that's been replaced with a metal rod and a cue ball Smiley

They made me an offer on a Super Trofeo Stradale and I gave them a hint on dropping even more weight (2wd + Manual) but reply from the factory was Never! AWD & E-Gear only Smiley Smiley

Car looks stunning in real life, but I'm not into AWD + Semi-Auto / Flappy-Paddles

REALZEUS:

I think that the 570-4 a.k.a. Superleggera comes with carbon ceramic items only. Are you sure it's a Superleggera?

CCB has been optional for all Gallardos until 2013 SL Edizione Tecnica was revealed in Paris motor show

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765608 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437395 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261473 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258267 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82791 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5334 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877619 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809932 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM