Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 Turbo without the cheap side vents...

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Quote:
    arakis said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:The same way Maranello did it with the F430. But, the middle piece would have to go. Which would be even better IMO.

I'm venturing to guess that that the middle piece smooths the airflow to the intercooler and it's not just a useless design weirdness. Usually form follows function at Porsche, as opposed to Ferrari

And where exacly on the 430 form doesent folow function

Ignore his comments... he just comes around to spout some brainless jargon to see if he can get a rise out of people.

How about the glass covering over the engine bay, too bling and lower class for me.

The design of the clear cover may not be to your liking however it would still need to be covered and vented whether translucent or not. In other words this is still a very functional piece. (this is more a matter of personal taste)

Something that would be completely extraneous would be like the clock/wart of the sport chrono package which really does not exhance or function for overall car performance but instead is considered a "bling" item.

Covered and vented and PAINTED the rest of the body's exterior color.

I agree with you on the Sports Chrono clock. Better would have been a digital lap counter built into the console.

LOL, you guys are funny... It will always be kind of the same discussion, and it all comes down to one conclusion; most porsche people are no ferrari people and vice versa...
    -Joost-

This is a very interesting photoshop...

Although I like the smoother vent sides, I seem to agree with RC that the TT is a bit cluttery (look at the rear exhaust vents, front lip with LEDs....

However, it does seem as if the design team made it the way it is for aesthetic purposes. Pinning these "cheap" vents due to production cost cutting would not seem logical when the Cayman S has similar vents that are more subtle...notice how the vent inserts are very close, maybe 5-10mm off of the actual vents

Compare both on photoshop and you'll see that the protrusion almost makes sense with the design of the car as a whole... It is very interesting to compare the TT to other Porsche's viewed at the same angle. A lot of the designs start to make sense...

Quote:
    Joost said:
    LOL, you guys are funny... It will always be kind of the same discussion, and it all comes down to one conclusion; most porsche people are no ferrari people and vice versa...
    -Joost-

VERY STRANGE, but unfortunately seems to be true.

Honestly, I can't understand. Really. They are both such great car makers, with a famous history and absolutely wonderful cars in the current model range.
    I don't understand people bashing the other one just for odds and ends.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Joost said:
    -Joost-

Honestly, I can't understand. Really. They are both such great car makers, with a famous history and absolutely wonderful cars in the current model range.

The bashing mainly seems to emerge from people who own neither car, but are fans of one of the two marques. I love both car makers, although Porsche's philosophy suits me better.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Quote:
    arakis said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:The same way Maranello did it with the F430. But, the middle piece would have to go. Which would be even better IMO.

I'm venturing to guess that that the middle piece smooths the airflow to the intercooler and it's not just a useless design weirdness. Usually form follows function at Porsche, as opposed to Ferrari

And where exacly on the 430 form doesent folow function

Ignore his comments... he just comes around to spout some brainless jargon to see if he can get a rise out of people.

Funny to get that from you, of all people...

Anyway, I was talking about a different engineering philosophy at Ferrari. The beauty of shape was always but before engineering demands. The bodies were beautiful at the expense of aerodynamic efficiency...
    Quick quiz: Who said "Aerodynamics is for people who don't know how to build engines", and what does he have to do with Ferrari?

Enzo... and he's dead. Your point?

My point is in my first post on this matter, the one you labeled 'brainless jargon', and your preferences (although valid, to each his own) have nothing to do with my point.

Quote:
    Now you never answered my question from days back...
    What (non-Porsche) cars equalled or surpassed the 993TT in performance during its timeline?

I'll answer as soon as you can tell me what non-Porsche cars will equal or surpass the 997TT. Hard, proven facts, not useless unproven hype.

Anyway, I propose we let this incipient flame for another time

Quote:
    Rossi said:

If you were referring to me, I wasn't bashing Ferrari. Just pointing out the difference in design philosophies.

Ffs, what's going on lately? This used to be a place where you could have a spirited discussion without getting cheap puerile namecalling thrown on you
    (no Rossi, not you:))

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Joost said:
    -Joost-

And I'm not bashing Ferrari, per se, just critiquing a styling point, as I do on a Porsche, even though I am an ardent Porschphile.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    The bashing mainly seems to emerge from people who own neither car, but are fans of one of the two marques. I love both car makers, although Porsche's philosophy suits me better.

Very well said. Whoever says that Ferrari builds bad, ugly or slow cars, is out of his mind. I love Porsche because it suits me very well (41, married, two kids, jeans, casual wear, still all my "own" hair, not rich enough to start a midlife crisis and buy a condo in St.Tropez, etc.) but I love Ferraris too, they're just not the kind of cars I would really buy. I would buy a Porsche AND a Ferrari if I had the money but if I'd need to choose from both (and unfortunately I'm not wealthy enough to have the opportunity to own both at the same time), I always go for the Porsche.

And of course I have a "thing" for Lamborghini but thats another story.

Quote:
    Crash said:

Interesting point of view. You may be rightm, but I'm not that sure, if this applies to the majority you speak of.

Quote:
    brunner said:
    If you were referring to me, I wasn't bashing Ferrari. Just pointing out the difference in design philosophies.

Ffs, what's going on lately? This used to be a place where you could have a spirited discussion without getting cheap puerile namecalling thrown on you

No brunner, I wasn't referring to you, I was just generally speaking.
    I see the situation the same way as you do:
    lately we sometimes see an unjustified slander even here at rennteam, which I am not used to from this forum.

I think the only one that bashes Porsche like it was his job is Nick

Having said that, I still think his new Yellow Ferrari is gorgeous...but I think I will buy myself a Gallardo Spyder (I know you agree with me RC) instead.

As for your question to me about what cars WILL equal or surpass the 997 TT... Well we'll have to wait and see for the answer. Yet you've still avoided my question about the 993 TT...

Quote:
    brunner said:

It all starts somewhere doesn't it?

link for brunner...

I think it is time for a grouphug!
    Well, I must say, it is refreshing to see what could grow to a row grow into an adult conversation between car enthusiasts... That's what maeks Rennteam so special.
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Joost said:

Joost, Joost, Joost, you see me really concerned.

First you say you love Ron and now you even want to hug the whole group! Oh boy...

Quote:
    Joost said:
    -Joost-

I wish I could afford to be both

Quote:
    Joost said:

Well, maybe not a hug, but a beer would be pretty cool.

I still have to learn that even on a Porsche forum, I should bite my tongue, as we say, whenever critiquing other marques. I certainly apologize if I sounded like I was demeaning anybody's tastes in car styling.

IMO the point with the 997tt design is that unfortunantely Porsche just opted for a cheap evolution of the 996tt design. this is where things as these funny side vents and led lights come from. if they would have wanted to do a statement, they could have (think of the 997tt being the derivation of the CGT like the 430 is from the enzo) but they chose not to. reason beiing the margins - and nothing else... this is schwabenland.....

ps: nothing against them, but this one is a lay up...

LOL, I hope I didn't concern you guys too much :P Well, on the next Rennteam meeting I'll bring a crate of beer ok?
    Regarding the design evolution of the Turbo; IMO, porsche design is now all about evolution as opposed to revolution. The 997 to the 996 was not a giant leap, and so the evolution from the 996tt to the 997tt is not a giant leap too.
    BUT: I think they made the differences a bit too small now. They chose for an overdesigned rear, but then the wing stays almost the same... I would have preferred a less designed rear, and a newer wing. They keep the sidevents almost the same, but then add these strange foglights... maybe weird choices have been made, but I can only judge when I see the car in real life... And I trust on it that when I see it, I will be stunned... cause one thing is sure; it will be a porsche, and it will be a beast... two reasons to love it. Of course the beast can always be more extreme, but I think the turbo is operatind in the margins of whats possible already, so let's just leve this car to bits!
    -Joost-

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

679502 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 10/9/22 4:08 PM
    watt
    313488 1186
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 11/27/22 12:22 PM
    DJM48
    210359 1251
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 11/9/22 4:37 PM
    Joost
    196042 434
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/6/22 12:37 AM
    WhoopsyM
    179602 580
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 11/22/22 8:19 PM
    GaussM
    121301 9
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 11/25/22 8:11 AM
    M3ike
    50865 67
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    514425 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    469771 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 11/27/22 2:46 AM
    WhoopsyM
    465394 3785
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/30/22 6:31 PM
    Grant
    223545 774
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/30/22 11:46 AM
    Wonderbar
    221773 1446
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM
    spudgun
    193235 834
    Lambo Aventador and SV 5/20/22 5:24 PM
    Topspeed
    189202 710
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 10/27/22 2:59 PM
    Leawood911
    184136 1863
    Porsche GT4RS 11/24/22 3:09 AM
    GnilM
    183233 1193
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 4/19/22 10:08 PM
    Leawood911
    157163 1590
    Others Bugatti Chiron 8/30/22 4:31 PM
    Josef
    153933 525
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/12/22 5:09 PM
    watt
    150079 535
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 2/28/22 7:42 PM
    Topspeed
    136648 409
    Porsche Red Nipples 991.2 GT3 Touring on tour 10/6/22 11:48 PM
    DJM48
    133583 501
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 6/7/22 1:20 PM
    Topspeed
    131835 593
    Others Corvette C8 7/18/22 12:40 PM
    WhoopsyM
    131082 443
    Porsche Dave and Gnil @ Nürburgring Nordschleife 7/4/22 10:42 PM
    DaveGordon
    129689 722
    Motor Sp. [2022] Formula 1 11/23/22 5:52 PM
    Enmanuel
    120271 1553
    Others Toyota Yaris GR 4/13/22 8:33 PM
    Grant
    100742 640
    Lambo Huracán EVO STO 7/21/22 8:37 AM
    RCA
    100095 335
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 10/24/22 7:42 AM
    RCA
    97527 402
    Ferrari Wandered to the dark side 8/29/22 9:35 AM
    BiTurbo
    72619 418
    Ferrari Ferrari Roma 4/18/22 4:33 PM
    watt
    31435 438
    176 items found, displaying 1 to 30.