Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2012 F1 season

The 2012 F1 season calendar has just been finalised.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14738779.stm

Turkey missed out as expected. A real pity that F1 didn't take off there enough to justify keeping it on the calendar. Istanbul Park is a great track.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2012 F1 season

Obviously F1 needs to expand into developing markets where car sales are rising quickly (so that manufacturers will want to participate in F1 for marketing themselves in those new markets and as a showcase for their technology). Clearly without money and participation, F1 would just not happen. It's not just a sport - it's a business.

But this sadly means that historic circuits can't find a place on the calendar. No Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard in France.

Spa-Francorchamps deserves its own race every year but there is talk about Belgium and France alternating in future rather like Hockenheim & Nuerburgring or Suzuka & Fuji. Except the difference is that those are events within the same country whereas France and Belgium alternating IMO involves a bigger sacrifice for F1 fans. Plus, Spa-Francorchamps is one of the best tracks in the world. It deserves special treatment IMO. Spa IMvHO is a far better spectacle than many of the newer tracks that often make for less exciting races.

Indianapolis wasn't a good track IMO for F1 usage but it was important for F1 to have a presence in the USA. I'm glad that will be put right with the new track in Austin. I'm really looking forward to that. It looks like 'Spa in the desert' with its elevation changes and layout.

It remains a daydream for me to see F1 cars at Laguna Seca or Watkins Glen in the USA. It would be amazing if F1 rotated between Austin, Watkins Glen and Laguna Seca.

Russia also wants to host a F1 race. Let's see how that progresses ...

I would like to see F1 return to South Africa. Kyalami would be interesting ...

Sadly I can't see F1 returning to former venues in Europe. The trend is for F1 to expand out of Europe towards more distant locations plus the ability of various Eurozone countries to afford to host a F1 race is now much more difficult.

I don't think we will see another F1 race at Estoril in Portugal during the next 25 years for financial reasons. I doubt the Dutch or the Austrians would want to pay for events at Zandvoort or Salzburgring respectively.

I personally would not shed too many tears if F1 dropped Malaysia, Bahrain & Valencia to free up space in the calendar for races elsewhere.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Turkey FAIL!!!!!!

Vettel can't drink on stage because your stupid rules? Ok than byebye Turkey... stay in the stoneage a bit longer.

All in all, should be a very exciting season! Go Vettel!! 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

easy_rider911:

It remains a daydream for me to see F1 cars at Laguna Seca or Watkins Glen in the USA. It would be amazing if F1 rotated between Austin, Watkins Glen and Laguna Seca.

Wouldn't that be fantastic! Imagine Webber passing Alonzo through the Corkscrew!
    I think the Austin track is looking very interesting and the new November date will be much more comfortable for all.

The other track I'd love to see added is Mt. Panorama in Bathurst. Get the race out of the park in Melbourne and onto a road course that could parallel Spa for excitement. Admittedly, one would have to build a few more hotels out there, but ...

--

"People ignore design that ignores people."

Atzporsche:

Turkey FAIL!!!!!!

Vettel can't drink on stage because your stupid rules? Ok than byebye Turkey... stay in the stoneage a bit longer.

All in all, should be a very exciting season! Go Vettel!! 

The decision had nothing to do with the local customs. In Bahrain and Abu Dhabi the "champagne" does not even have alcohol in it. It was all about money, as it always is in F1.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Atz, Turkey didn't attract enough local fans. Simple as that. Nothing to do with alcohol.

BTW alcohol is freely available and widely drunk in Turkey. EFES beer is brewed locally and is very popular. I've seen it being served in Istanbul and on the south coast in Oludeniz and Fethiye.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Turkey

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efes_Beverage_Group

I think your pro-Vettel feelings are making you get carried away. If you have ever been to Turkey (especially Istanbul), then you would never say they were in the 'stone age' at all. Rural life is still quite traditional in Turkey but the cities are very modern indeed so saying things like that about Turkey is just ill-informed and, to me, just sounded culturally patronising.

The countries that do not use alcohol on the F1 podium are Bahrain and Abu Dhabi. They use ward which is a fizzy, non-alcoholic equivalent - just so that the drivers have something to shower on each other.

Personally, I find it silly. The Bahrainis and Emiratis (in Abu Dhabi) want to mimic a celebration that involves using a substance that is strictly forbidden to them. They should stay true to themselves rather than exposing themselves to ridicule.

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

BTW alcohol is freely available and widely drunk in Turkey. EFES beer is brewed locally and is very popular. I've seen it being served in Istanbul and on the south coast in Oludeniz and Fethiye.

In fact, there's a little bit of a wine production industry in Turkey, as well. In the cities, wine, beer and spirits are widely available.

And while there are parts of Turkey that are "backwards" and provincial in the rural sense, that's not true in Istanbul and hasn't been for a long time. Istanbul rocks and is one of my all-time favorite cities to be in.

As far as Bahrain and the Emirates banning a substance that is "forbidden," the public display is very different from what happens behind closed doors. And sometimes not so very closed doors.

--

"People ignore design that ignores people."

Exactly  I love Istanbul ... one of my favourite cities 

Yes, in places like Dubai, alcohol is forbidden in public except in 5 star hotels. You need an alcohol licence to buy alcohol from one of the authorised sellers. Even then, the quantity one can buy is limited.

uae.overseas-homes-direct.com/dubai/living-costs.html

Of course, if you know the right person, crates of alcohol can be delivered to one's home very easily.

--

997.1 C2S

+ 1 Watkins Glen!

I grew up near there and was lucky enough on a few occasions to do some parade laps around it in an SL 500. What a great, great circuit.

It's just that it's in the middle of nowhere...

I am in love with Istanbul too, especially for an architecture student, it's one of the best places you can visit period.

I didn't mean to be so deterioative towards Turkey, but perhaps I was watching the whole thing from the wrong angle.. A German TV with commentators. That being said, I do want to add that I am a little tired to some of the political BS played with regards in this case to alcohol... I've been to both Istanbul and the rural backlands of Turkey. Many great beers were consumed and it is obvious people enjoy of freely... 

From what I heard here, it was about alcohol or rather just statements, but it was ill informed yes. If it's just about money though than the German GP is next on the line... BE can go to numerous "new" countries who'd love to put themselves on the map..

Sorry for offending anyone, it was a very poor post.

GOOO VETTEL 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Easy, like you, I would love to see F1 return to South Africa. Unfortunately, Kyalami is not a viable option, given that the circuit would need massive investment to upgrade it to current FIA standards. Also, in the past decade or so, there has been a lot of development in that area, with the result being that Kyalami now sits in the middle of a residential suburb. There has been a lot of talk recently about a possible GP track in Cape Town - one idea focused on a new, purpose-built track near the airport, while another mooted the concept of a street circuit around the Green Point/Waterfront area (near the World Cup stadium). Of the two, I guess the second has a slightly greater chance of success - given the much lower initial investment required. However, I'm not holding my breath. Unfortunately, the SA government views motor racing as an elitist sport, with no benefit for "the masses". Basically, if it ain't football, rugby or cricket, don't expect any support from govt. Even the local governing body, Motorsport South Africa, has jumped on this bandwagon - recently stating that it would only support a local GP if it involved a local participating (!) and if it had demonstrable benefits for the local community. Sadly, I think an SA Grand Prix will remain a pipe dream for now (but I sincerely hope I'm wrong about this).

Atz,

No worries, all is cool. I think the issue with Istanbul was that it just didn't attract enough spectators to make it viable. Which, of course, I one of the main reasons I was thinking it would be fun to go to a race there!

Oh, well. There's always Austin.

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

Austin would be a blast We need more city tracks

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 1/28/22 12:18 AM
    Pilot

517838 1295
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 1/22/22 9:42 PM
    Enmanuel
    187727 1158
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 1/9/22 7:08 PM
    Wonderbar
    75898 401
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 1/22/22 12:34 AM
    watt
    74238 761
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    56710 531
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    50807 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    14155 29
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    1264 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    478125 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    393803 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/25/21 12:31 AM
    WhoopsyM
    388967 3949
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    354626 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 1/28/22 3:10 PM
    Grant
    325959 2654
    Porsche 992 GT3 1/26/22 4:50 PM
    BiTurbo
    297601 3321
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    258025 1587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    170362 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    121793 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    106121 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 12/22/21 7:10 PM