Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: GT3 engine issues again?

ADias:

Doesn't this suggest that the rev limiter should be 8kRPM (or lower)?

Seems that 9k may have been too much for the 3.8L, but after much investigation it seems Porsche thinks 8,500 rpm is the safe limit for 100 hours of top performance while racing (for the long-stroke 4.0L)

However, there is also evidence that the high redline was not the reason for the failures, but it did hasten their manifestation.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Remember that piston speed is a factor there.. 9k on the 3.8 is equivalent to 8.6 or something on the longer-stroke 4.0.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Re Grant: 100h of racing is pretty typical, but... racing engines are rebuilt at about those many hours. :)

Yeah, over 8kRPM may be the issue. Unless owners are OK with rebuilding every 100h or so. :)

---

Note to RC: Tried to quote Grant (post above) and the website quoted the post following Grant's. tried it 3 times.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

ADias:

Re Grant: 100h of racing is pretty typical, but... racing engines are rebuilt at about those many hours. :)

Yeah, over 8kRPM may be the issue. 

Actually, last year's Cup had 50 hour interval and RSR was 40 hours.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

DaveGordon:

Remember that piston speed is a factor there.. 9k on the 3.8 is equivalent to 8.6 or something on the longer-stroke 4.0.

That's true, but most of the failures have occurred in the valvetrain which is independent of the pistons/stroke issue.

--

The farmer:

Yep, no problems at all. Porsche has handled this perfect so far. Only trouble right now is that the new engine was delivered last night, but something went wrong when unloading it. So this morning, when the mecanics came in, they found my new engine up side down ! angel So now that one is on its way back and Porsche will deliver a new new engine😂😎 But this is NOTHING to blame Porsche for, but rather the drunk (???) lorry driver...

Only thing I now need to do is to make sure to have sufficient insurance. If the new engine, god forbid, blows, it will be on me, since you don't get another two years on the new engine.....

But thanks to Porsche taking good care of me and my problems, I will be on track as usual in April smileykiss

Suggestion: Why don't you get a warranty extension?

Also, another suggestion: Be careful with the information you provide here. Porsche is monitoring this forum and since track racing isn't really covered by the Porsche warranty...I think you get my point. Smiley They may be nice once but maybe not the second time.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

That is the connecting rod?  (See picture). No way. It looks similar but way too small. The end connecting to the crank would need to be much larger. Strange part. Certainly an end cap paying there but you can see it does not attach to what is shown as the rod. 

This is not good news for GT3 owners hoping to resell or hang on to for decades. 

I was puzzled for a while, too.. Then realised it was the big end cap viewed end-on.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

I was puzzled for a while, too.. Then realised it was the big end cap viewed end-on.

Oh, makes sense...

--

RC:
    The farmer:

Yep, no problems at all. Porsche has handled this perfect so far. Only trouble right now is that the new engine was delivered last night, but something went wrong when unloading it. So this morning, when the mecanics came in, they found my new engine up side down ! angel So now that one is on its way back and Porsche will deliver a new new engine😂😎 But this is NOTHING to blame Porsche for, but rather the drunk (???) lorry driver...

Only thing I now need to do is to make sure to have sufficient insurance. If the new engine, god forbid, blows, it will be on me, since you don't get another two years on the new engine.....

But thanks to Porsche taking good care of me and my problems, I will be on track as usual in April smileykiss

Suggestion: Why don't you get a warranty extension?

Also, another suggestion: Be careful with the information you provide here. Porsche is monitoring this forum and since track racing isn't really covered by the Porsche warranty...I think you get my point. Smiley They may be nice once but maybe not the second time.

Thx RC, from now on no more info....SmileySmileySmiley

RC, seriously? If something breaks with a GT model on a track the warranty is void?  That can't be.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:

RC, seriously? If something breaks with a GT model on a track the warranty is void?  That can't be.

It is in the discretion of your dealer and regional manager (except for Model Year 2014 GT3 that came with explicit track warranty).  So far, all reasonable claims from track failures have been covered by Porsche.  Stopping track coverage would be a major policy change, but it is within Porsche's legal rights to do so.  I'd be very surprised to see this happen though - several competing manufacturers have recently made specific track warranty coverage part of their marketing efforts and Porsche's reversal would have a significant cost (damage to their brand image would likely exceed their warranty expense savings by a wide margin).

--

After 10 years of severe reliabily / blown problems with 9M6 cathastrofic engines whish only stopped on 2008 when they released the DFI engines, this all GT3 engine mess is unaceptable  

--

J.Seven

So guys, got the car back last week with new engine. New the first 1500km is done. No extensive reving first 3000km, so half way back to that glorious sound between 8-9 thousand and open windows in all tunnelssmiley

But a really terrible trip from Stockholm to Oslo (and to Rudskogem raceway in Rakkestad) and back onCup2's, sub zero degrees and snowfall two out of three days....laughlaugh. But the company was very nice, thank god, so no need to freeze during the nights....frown

Need to have the engine run in by end of April for the first real track day of the season. So far the engine seems fine, drank some oil, but nothing extreme. Extended warranty and all fine with Porsche. But that might not be such a big surprise? During the winter I have thought about what could have happened if the enegine would have blown in eau rouge in stead of in the slowest chicane on Spa? Huh.....heart And maybe Porsche thought about this as well?

Well, all fine and good with Porsche regarding the GT3, just the Panamera problem left to solvekiss 

And Porker, i would love to join you guys for a track day. I wouldn't have any problems with looking in to the "ass" off bluelines white, lightning fast GT4 

I don't have a lot of experience of the internet "weirdos", but I actually met a guy that on the internet seemed almost from out of space, but actually was a very nice and funny guy, that I really enjoyed spending some days wiith.But I guess RC has his points as well, regarding guys pretending being something different than in real life. This guy was not so good looking in real life as on internet, but I'm sure you are working on that issue Whoopsy.....wink

The farmer:

I don't have a lot of experience of the internet "weirdos", but I actually met a guy that on the internet seemed almost from out of space, but actually was a very nice and funny guy, that I really enjoyed spending some days wiith.But I guess RC has his points as well, regarding guys pretending being something different than in real life. This guy was not so good looking in real life as on internet, but I'm sure you are working on that issue Whoopsy.....wink

SmileySmileySmiley

You know, my looks are not for guysSmiley

--

Funny: Last time I personally met a Rennteam member, he said "I imagined you taller...". 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

The farmer:

I wouldn't have any problems with looking in to the "ass" off bluelines white, lightning fast GT4 

I have put a "Follow Me" sticker on the GT4 rear end. Extra large text. So you can read it from some distance SmileySmiley

--

bluelines:
    The farmer:

I wouldn't have any problems with looking in to the "ass" off bluelines white, lightning fast GT4 

I have put a "Follow Me" sticker on the GT4 rear end. Extra large text. So you can read it from some distance SmileySmiley

Thanks! kiss

bluelines:
    The farmer:

So other drivers can actually follow you? 👀 I am deeply disappointed. Maybe you should get a white TT instead, with V10 engine. 🤠✌🏼

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Well, not all drivers, RC 

--

bluelines:

Ah...trying to pull a Porker on me? Smiley Nah, you're too clever for that. Smiley

--

RC:
    bluelines:

Ah...trying to pull a Porker on me? Smiley Nah, you're too clever for that. Smiley

OMG RC, hitting me where it hurts! Smiley

Farmer, if you're ever considering a trip to Spa again hit us up, would love to provide a flatbed for your journey back. Smiley

This season will be a calm one for me as the RS will be sold. Back with a vengeance next year. Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Porker:
    RC:
    bluelines:

OMG RC, hitting me where it hurts! Smiley

Farmer, if you're ever considering a trip to Spa again hit us up, would love to provide a flatbed for your journey back. Smiley

This season will be a calm one for me as the RS will be sold. Back with a vengeance next year. Smiley

Thanks PorkerSmiley 

Back to Spa in October (I hopeSmiley), so be readySmiley Right now the snow is poring down and I'm struggling to get enough km in to the new engine before the first track event next week. Snow and Cup2's is not a perfect match, but what the h.., some drifting practice might be fun....👍😎

And for all of you that wonders, the lift is crucial when the snow is more than 10 cm high on the streets....Smiley

So, the new engine works ok, but one thing is annoying. After running it in for about 3.000km (no need really, but did it anyway since the spring been awful up herelaugh), I've now started to USE the car again. Quit a busy schedule with in total 10 track days (Sweden,Norway and Estonia) the last 3 1/2 weeks and a total of about 2900 km on track and the car devours oilheart 4,5 l during the track driving run. PAG says it's all fine and nothing can be said until the engine has run for about 10.000 km.....mail

So Porker, be ready to bail me out from some dubious workshop when I visit Spa in October (but this year I will ship the GT3 and take the Panamera or fly down)

But otherwise it's great that the season finally is here. Also flow down to Germany for two days with the cup car on Hockenheim. Great fun (Whoopsy,this years was really on the next level compared to Leipzig last yearblush. I do hope the Mexican wedding was worth your missing out ?!  ) and a good thing to do after starting to think of myself as a quit decent driver, building confidence on the track days. Both Timo Bernhard and Wolf Henzler where there and drove as well and boy, I'm such an amateur.....smiley I'm not the most humble guy generally, but you will NEVER see me brag about my driving skill on this forum. I am lightyears after the REALLY skilled guysyes But I'm having FUN👍✌️😎And boy what a great track. Nice feeling to be able to rev out the cup car in the parabolica....😛

Next up some relaxing days in Palma, then back on track againsmiley

Sounds like you're having fun!  Some of the GT3 guys have reported less oil useage after more time (but your consumption seems pretty high)

--

The farmer:

So, the new engine works ok, but one thing is annoying. After running it in for about 3.000km (no need really, but did it anyway since the spring been awful up herelaugh), I've now started to USE the car again. Quit a busy schedule with in total 10 track days (Sweden,Norway and Estonia) the last 3 1/2 weeks and a total of about 2900 km on track and the car devours oilheart 4,5 l during the track driving run. PAG says it's all fine and nothing can be said until the engine has run for about 10.000 km.....mail

So Porker, be ready to bail me out from some dubious workshop when I visit Spa in October (but this year I will ship the GT3 and take the Panamera or fly down)

But otherwise it's great that the season finally is here. Also flow down to Germany for two days with the cup car on Hockenheim. Great fun (Whoopsy,this years was really on the next level compared to Leipzig last yearblush. I do hope the Mexican wedding was worth your missing out ?!  ) and a good thing to do after starting to think of myself as a quit decent driver, building confidence on the track days. Both Timo Bernhard and Wolf Henzler where there and drove as well and boy, I'm such an amateur.....smiley I'm not the most humble guy generally, but you will NEVER see me brag about my driving skill on this forum. I am lightyears after the REALLY skilled guysyes But I'm having FUN👍✌️😎And boy what a great track. Nice feeling to be able to rev out the cup car in the parabolica....😛

I know you guys had an amazing time! My spy told me as much Smiley

I had always wanted to drive Hockenheim, oh well, next time. 

BTW, how was the guy with the 'pig' GT3RS? Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    The farmer:

I know you guys had an amazing time! My spy told me as much Smiley

I had always wanted to drive Hockenheim, oh well, next time. 

BTW, how was the guy with the 'pig' GT3RS? Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

The farmer:

So, the new engine works ok, but one thing is annoying. After running it in for about 3.000km (no need really, but did it anyway since the spring been awful up herelaugh), I've now started to USE the car again. Quit a busy schedule with in total 10 track days (Sweden,Norway and Estonia) the last 3 1/2 weeks and a total of about 2900 km on track and the car devours oilheart 4,5 l during the track driving run. PAG says it's all fine and nothing can be said until the engine has run for about 10.000 km.....

Is it possible that Porsche "re-adjusted" lubrication for the 991.1 GT3 engine? Smiley Smiley 

1.5 l oil / 1000 km is a tiny bit much for late generation Porsche engines...

--

I refilled just last week 0.2 Liter and have just passed 10k km.......- None of my porsche's consumes oil as described....but then I must say I am not tracking them. (just spirited driving last week at the mille miglia indecision)

Well my 911R ate 0.5L of oil already for 4000km................

My Cayenne Turbo S ate a whole litre at 9000km. It's now at close to 11,000km

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    758729 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433276 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259555 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256699 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80460 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5300 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870330 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805121 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM