Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Small dog barks on big dog

    While driving my Turbo to work this morning a Cayman, if the owner reads this I know who you are and I will happily buy you a coffee downstairs ,tried everything to race me. Overtook on left and right, went directly in front and accelerated hard... obviously it was no effort to keep up. Not that we went very fast, on a public road and after all this is Switzerland and there are speed cameras all over the place.

    However, one thing struck me... why is it always the small dogs barking on the big dogs? Even though the small dog must know it has met it's nemesis and that the big dog could bite it's head of in an instant.

    How many Cayman owners here feel the need to prove themselves, and their car, as soon as they spot a 911? (Maybe I should add that this is not the first time it has happened to me)

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    2 words: inferiority complex....

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    I think sometimes its more a case of the person trying to get a response from the Big dog... Provoke it so that it has to show its power! Some people love nothing better than seeing a beast in full chat!!!! Including me!

    THen again could just be small man syndrome!!!!

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Quote:
    bluelines said:
    why is it always the small dogs barking on the big dogs?



    Small dog has quicker reflexes and knows he can evade the reaction of the big dog in a nip 'n tuck situation - just watch a Jack Russell out manoeuvre a German Shepherd,

    But they have the intelligence to avoid a big dog in an open field where the big dog can run faster

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    some people just got small ones and can't help themselves

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    2 words: inferiority complex....



    I think you are spot on

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    errr i beg to disagree...just came back (been driving for 8 straight high speed) from a 2 day trip to italy (2000 km in less than 2 days) so i had many encouters (small report tomorow):
    i have a cayman S and would try to "race" a 911 tt just to see how much faster it is. i dont think anyone is really kidding themselfes....

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog


    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Maybe the Cayman driver just wanted to see how fast the a Turbo was and have a bit of fun?

    You'd have to be a half wit to think a Cayman could keep up with a Turbo

    Sounds like you're upset he "dare" race you more than anything

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Small dogs often like to play with big dogs, not to bite them, but for fun. Hell, I've played with 911s before, but often they don't want to play. Which is fair enough.

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    I had the same episode with a boxster S while driving my TT on the PCH in CA. He was rentless and he meant no harm, he seemed curious and somewhat clueless with respect to the power of the TT. Well after 5 miles of a chase I thought a little lesson would not harm the little doggie. Let's put it this way, he was so far behind that when slammed my brakes he passed me as if his car was fire, well over 120 m.p.h.

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    2 words: inferiority complex....



    I think you are spot on



    Sounds like you're "projecting".

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Just came back from a trip to th UK and had a similar experience.
    I was in my fully loaded (as in "luggage everywhere"- incl 1 GF) 986S, when I met a 997S cab on the Autobahn.
    No challenge on paper, but none-the-less it was fun to "race" a bit.
    Apparently the guy either didnt bother or didnt know how to push his 997, but I had no trouble following or passing him going 230-240 km/h.
    I was hoping he had floored it to see the actual difference of the two cars, but for some reason he just went semi-fast.
    Even my GF asked why he didnt just pull away from us, seeing that he was clearly not driving slowly- but I guess not all 911-owners have a problem getting overtaken by an "inferior" Boxster

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Hhhhmmm - Dr. Phil turning into a speed-demon on the German Autobahn
    Hope your UK stay was a bit less wet than mine (I'm not referring to the drinks)
    As for your "encounter" on the Autobahn: not unusual at all - I know it's hard to get for those of you pistonheads living in countries with restricted highways, but as per my own observation the vast majority of sportscar drivers never floor their toys on the AB even if the situation would allow it (I'm sure the statistic doesn't apply to Rennteamers ). I'd say that that the majority of drivers don't push it further once they've reached a speed of approximately 230/240 km/h (exactly would you've encountered) - for some of us it's fun to driver faster, for others it's pure stress
    Reminds me of a testdrive with a C6 couple of weeks ago (Ferdie and me had some fun while "hunting" each other with the demo-cars). Unfortunately we had a nanny from the dealership joining us as passengers . Once the nanny realised that we were going 280 km/h he said: oh, please - not more than 250 km/h with the demo-car

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    ...
    the vast majority of sportscar drivers never floor their toys on the AB even if the situation would allow it (I'm sure the statistic doesn't apply to Rennteamers ). I'd say that that the majority of drivers don't push it further once they've reached a speed of approximately 230/240 km/h (exactly would you've encountered) - for some of us it's fun to driver faster, for others it's pure stress
    ...


    This is also my observation. I would also say that most of the sports cars here in the greater Munich area rarely seen on an open stretch of "autobahn". For most of the buyers they seem to be more like income statements or bank account "on wheels".
    I regularly drive the A9 between Nuremberg and Greding (Direction Nuernberg) and if the weather is fine and the road is dry I drive as fast as traffic (and traffics laws) allows. Only to find out that I am almost every time alone driving more than 230/240. Only once in a while a souped up BMW tries to keep up (till 250km/h). Never met a sports car there driving really fast.

    Just my 2 cents

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Funny you guys should talk about this, because back when I had a 427 cobra kit car (428 FE engine in it), full side pipes, loud as hell and twice as fast...it was only 911 turbo owners that ever tried to give me any grief. lol Everyone else would just nod and smile, but crazy turbo owners would near get themselves killed trying to show off for me.

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Quote:
    bluelines said:
    However, one thing struck me... why is it always the small dogs barking on the big dogs? Even though the small dog must know it has met it's nemesis and that the big dog could bite it's head of in an instant.



    There is surely quite a bit of truth in it, but see it in a different way. Most car passionate people like to see the difference in performance of two different cars, not due to any inferiority complex but to see the difference in performance to one's own car. Due to the performance of modern sportscars it is simply not safe to explore its limits in today's crowded streets, once you see a performance car driven by a well-experienced driver, you will understand its potential.

    I also believe, that some people of high-performance cars don't tend to explore its potential since it is already inherent in the car's character (say, reputation) - you can only loose ground once you attempt to show it to others.

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    I wonder what would happen if Bluelines happened upon a Carrera GT V-10 strolling along? I can see it now... Hey, it's all relative...

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Quote:
    Greentree said:
    I wonder what would happen if Bluelines happened upon a Carrera GT V-10 strolling along? I can see it now... Hey, it's all relative...



    Bluelines has since long sold his Turbo and Boxster and can now been seen driving a Cayman... he is happy, he is confident and he is always ready to wipe the grin off any smug 911 owners out there on the street.

    Of course, I knew my post would kick up some dust and it has been interesting to read the different answers. It was quite easy to figure out if the poster drives a 911 or a Cayman. By the way, I would not try to race a Carrera GT. That would be as silly as try to race a Turbo with, hmm... lets say... just as an example, a Cayman.

    However, it does not change the empirical fact that the only two types of cars (read drivers) that try to race me are either tuned-from-hell ricers with four mega exhausts, bling bling wheels and lots of fancy plastic painted in some obscure metallic paint... or Caymans.

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    From my experience, a lot of guys like to take on virtually any Porsche, because it's a Porsche. It may stem from an inferiority complex or simple curiosity - but I often experience ppl wanting to either race me or show off next to me.
    Just today I had a Mercedes M-class 320 something next to me flooring it like crazy from a red light coming onto the freeway.
    It's like a Porsche is a rolling yardstick that everyone wants to use on their own car.
    In actual facts, unlike the online debates, a real-life drag race is almost always pretty undramatic. Often when comparing two or more cars online, people expect "car A" to be dramaticallly faster than "car B" - but unless you have +100 BHP in relative difference between the cars (same app. weight), or one driver makes a mistake/cant drive, you wont see any really dramatic difference between the cars in terms of accelleration.
    I've been both shocked by theoretically much slower cars (that werent tuned) and dissapointed with cars that on paper are much faster than my wee Boxey.

    A dragrace (be it on a dragstrip or a public freeway) usually doesnt tell you anything - take 10 laps on a short track, and you will seperate the men from the boys

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    From my experience, a lot of guys like to take on virtually any Porsche, because it's a Porsche. It may stem from an inferiority complex or simple curiosity - but I often experience ppl wanting to either race me or show off next to me.
    Just today I had a Mercedes M-class 320 something next to me flooring it like crazy from a red light coming onto the freeway.
    It's like a Porsche is a rolling yardstick that everyone wants to use on their own car.
    In actual facts, unlike the online debates, a real-life drag race is almost always pretty undramatic. Often when comparing two or more cars online, people expect "car A" to be dramaticallly faster than "car B" - but unless you have +100 BHP in relative difference between the cars (same app. weight), or one driver makes a mistake/cant drive, you wont see any really dramatic difference between the cars in terms of accelleration.
    I've been both shocked by theoretically much slower cars (that werent tuned) and dissapointed with cars that on paper are much faster than my wee Boxey.

    A dragrace (be it on a dragstrip or a public freeway) usually doesnt tell you anything - take 10 laps on a short track, and you will seperate the men from the boys




    exactly my thoughts.
    Especially hard when facing big diesels on the autobahn...

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    From my experience, a lot of guys like to take on virtually any Porsche, because it's a Porsche.



    I just ignore it and let 'em go. I don't need or want to prove anything and I certainly don't want to get involved in silly adolescent traffic light grand prix. It's not what owning and enjoying a Porsche is about.

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    From my experience, a lot of guys like to take on virtually any Porsche, because it's a Porsche.



    I just ignore it and let 'em go. I don't need or want to prove anything and I certainly don't want to get involved in silly adolescent traffic light grand prix. It's not what owning and enjoying a Porsche is about.



    Yup, true.

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    I happen to own an ML320cdi(wife does the school run in this) and took delivery of a low milage Cayman S last Friday evening.The torque of the diesel is delicious but the sound of the Cayman past 4k revs is addictive!I absolutely love this car and it's great to play with ohter fellow enthusiasts regardless of what they drive.Recently, one evening on my way home from work whilst driving an SLK on the highway I flew passed a 996 Turbo sitting in the slow lane. He immediastely engaged and we both had great fun although there was obviously no contest.We both new this from the get go.He waited several times for me and flashed goodbye at my off-ramp. To me this is the spirit of what makes us sportcar enthusiasts. We cannot all afford the newest Turbo's or 430's but a least we can occasionaly enjoy each other without malice.In real life 3,597 sec's is nothing.The memory that lingers is the enjoyment of seeing an awesome piece of machinery in action.

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Quote:
    werner said:
    [...] had great fun although there was obviously no contest.We both new this from the get go.He waited several times for me and flashed goodbye at my off-ramp. To me this is the spirit of what makes us sportcar enthusiasts. We cannot all afford the newest Turbo's or 430's but a least we can occasionaly enjoy each other without malice.In real life 3,597 sec's is nothing.The memory that lingers is the enjoyment of seeing an awesome piece of machinery in action.



    Absolutely share your opinion. Way to go!

    Re: Small dog barks on big dog

    Quote:
    werner said:
    I happen to own an ML320cdi(wife does the school run in this) and took delivery of a low milage Cayman S last Friday evening.The torque of the diesel is delicious but the sound of the Cayman past 4k revs is addictive!I absolutely love this car and it's great to play with ohter fellow enthusiasts regardless of what they drive.Recently, one evening on my way home from work whilst driving an SLK on the highway I flew passed a 996 Turbo sitting in the slow lane. He immediastely engaged and we both had great fun although there was obviously no contest.We both new this from the get go.He waited several times for me and flashed goodbye at my off-ramp. To me this is the spirit of what makes us sportcar enthusiasts. We cannot all afford the newest Turbo's or 430's but a least we can occasionaly enjoy each other without malice.In real life 3,597 sec's is nothing.The memory that lingers is the enjoyment of seeing an awesome piece of machinery in action.



    Seem like the Turbo owner is a true petrol head and happy to have a play, regardless of the level of spending power you have.

    Wonder if he went home and rued how you dare you challenge his mighty turbo (did you not who he is??? ), not likely I bet

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt
     
     
     
     
     
    452918 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 9/25/21 12:11 PM
    WhoopsyM
    167407 1111
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/17/21 8:59 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    65605 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/27/21 1:55 AM
    watt
    54733 528
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    46554 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 9/27/21 4:56 PM
    WhoopsyM
    43373 392
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    12042 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    466104 3586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 6/25/21 2:56 PM
    the-missile
    385075 3506
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 8/12/21 4:57 PM
    Topspeed
    381510 3918
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    347585 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    317144 2646
    Porsche 992 GT3 9/27/21 2:19 PM
    the-missile
    263865 2988
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/26/21 10:49 AM
    WhoopsyM
    250843 1586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    167549 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    118072 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    102055 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/5/21 4:30 PM
    BjoernB
    92398 1221
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    82091 209
    Lambo Aventador and SV 8/27/21 2:33 PM
    Topspeed
    71417 698
    AMG AMG GT R 7/8/21 3:07 PM
    CGX car nut
    71277 824
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    50654 596
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 9/14/21 1:11 PM
    BjoernB
    47244 1165
    Others Bugatti Chiron 7/22/21 6:55 PM
    Topspeed
    41986 480
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 6/24/21 6:30 PM
    Porker
    39742 531
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    38545 615
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 7/7/21 8:38 PM
    Jim_in_Iowa
    30459 394
    Ferrari 488 Replacement 4/17/21 8:28 PM
    Rossi
    27456 370
    Lambo Urus (SUV) 7/21/21 6:22 PM
    Topspeed
    25901 592
    Motor Sp. [2021] Formula 1 9/27/21 7:01 PM
    KMM
    24383 682
    266 items found, displaying 1 to 30.