Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape story

    Okay here's a topic to make you cringe:

    Remember all the discussion about the tender leather dash and how it might get scratched? How about the back of the seats? The painted rear center console is pretty AND vulnerable. My passengers airbag has got a small wound. WORST OF ALL: I dented my Porsche by opening the door getting out of my own BMW!

    Got any funny-sickening minor damage stories?

    On the serious side which mistake did you make to GET the damage. Also, were you able to get it repaired or are you condemned to living with it?


    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    The BMW door against one's own Porsche is too funny :-)
    Sorry but I cannot help...you must have felt miserable !!!

    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    The BMW door against one's own Porsche is too funny :-)
    Sorry but I cannot help...you must have felt miserable !!!



    LOL! It's funny now. At the instant of impact I erupted with a huge booming prolonged one word expletive.

    I soon calmed down and was relieved that my "museum-quality" car was finally "broken in."

    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    Even now after four months I'm still not accustomed to how much car there is behind me in my 911. Coming from an unbroken chain of two-seaters having both a back seat and an engine behind me has been tough to get used to. My last car was a BMW M Roadster which had what seemed like 10 feet of hood in front of me (that's '3 meters of bonnet' for you Brits) and hardly any car behind me.

    Coming home from a long drive a few weeks ago, feeling tired and a bit bleary-headed, I pulled into my garage and pulled up to the distance that felt about right and then promptly closed my garage door on the engine lid. It made a large gash down to the bare metal and took little chunks of plastic out of both bumperettes.

    My girlfriend said that the car was obviously totaled and the only practical solution was to trade it in on a Turbo Cab, but I opted to just spend $700 to get the engine lid repainted.

    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    They say there are only two kinds of Nürburgringers: Those who have hit the armco and those who have not yet done so.

    Last week at the Ring during a sudden thunderstorm I aquaplaned into the armco on one side of the track and then bounced back across to hit the barrier on the other side. All grip was gone and the car was completely out of control.

    No injuries, but the car is totaled. And is not covered by insurance.

    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Okay here's a topic to make you cringe:

    Remember all the discussion about the tender leather dash and how it might get scratched? How about the back of the seats? The painted rear center console is pretty AND vulnerable. My passengers airbag has got a small wound. WORST OF ALL: I dented my Porsche by opening the door getting out of my own BMW!

    Got any funny-sickening minor damage stories?

    On the serious side which mistake did you make to GET the damage. Also, were you able to get it repaired or are you condemned to living with it?






    In my case it was the other way around... the pointed 911 side-mirror dented my MB door... fixed in 5 minutes by a dent remover.

    All this can easily be corrected by the "Dent Doctor" (or similar service) and/or specialty leather shop.

    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    Reversing out of new garage (crappy narrow one). Forgot that on BOTH sides, the entrance is narrower than garage itself - CRUNCH. Door mirror (only the mirror thank God) now has two small & perfectly formed triangular chunks out of the painted plastic surround for the glass.

    Very, very annoying, although most people wouldn't notice if I didn't point it out. Any ideas how to fix? Will post a photo tomorrow.

    Was caused by sleep deprivation so wasn't looking as hard as I should (very much agree that lack of sleep = dangerous - equiv to being blootered).

    SoS.

    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    Sonofstig, can probably be fixed as a DIY with a paint touchup kit.

    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    I've yet to scar my own car, but it's suffered a couple of indignities thusfar...

    1. 4-year old daughter backing her electric-powered "Razor" dirt-bike out of the garate, loses balance in the midst of a 3-point turn, and bike falls against rear bumper, taking a big honking chunk of paint out of the rear bumper cover... I came walking around the corner right after it happened, poor little girl panicking and scrambling to pick up bike, saying "I think it's o.k., I don't think I hurt it...". I kept my sanity, reminded her that this is exactly why I tell her to be super careful in the garage, and had the bumper-cover resprayed the following week. It turned out perfect.

    2. I had one minor door ding that didn't hurt the paint, dent doctor, gone...

    My interior is flawless, not a scratch, not a speck of dirt, no wear, nothing.

    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape story

    Over this last weekend my wife and I got back home(we were out in her car) and I was standing at the top of the stairs in the garage and asked her for the house keys(never imagining she'd toss them). Out of nowhere she pitches her keys up to about the level just above my ankles. I just barely got a hand on the keys enough to deflect it right at my 997. Sure enough it hit the right front fender and made a couple of chips.

    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    Didn't happen to me (yet) but at a "pit stop" a fellow Porschephile got his cup of coffee, put it on roof of his car while he was organizing to get in, he gets in, starts car and opens sunroof: coffee bath unleashed.

    Probably nearly impossible to get a coffee bath on a 997 though; considering how the sunroof opens.


    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    Sounds like a lot of do it yourselfers out there. Very unfortunate. At least you know who to blame.

    Mine happened a few days ago. After merging into the fast lane of a highway, I noticed a pickup with trailer in tow in front of me who just came from a construction site. Too late! He started spraying everyone on the highway with rocks each time he hit a bump on the road. Incensed, I hit the gas and went around him at nearly double the speed limit.

    Found a bunch of rock chips on the hood, windshield and even cracked the paint under the 3M tape.

    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    A couple of weeks ago was out with my 10 year old son. Both my kids and wife know that this car is "different" than Dad's company car volvo LOL! Anyway, we were at a park and going home. He's actually pretty good about making sure there is enough clearance between the bottom of the door and a curb. This time, however he opened the door kind of hard and right into a chain link fence. I was already in the car and saw this and freaked. I told him not to touch it but sure enough he was already in the car and just pulled it out of the fence.

    The damage wasn't too bad as it was right on the edge of the door and is chipped. I tried really hard not to yell but he knew I was furious. I would have thrown up if I had done this myself.

    The ride home was only about 10 minutes (longest 10 minutes for him i bet) but I didn't say a word. We pulled into the garge and he went in the house. I stayed in to examine the damage. A minute later my wife came out with a pained expression on her face. She knew I was upset but she also said our son was up in his room hysterical crying. I felt pretty [beep]. She tried to give me the "it's only a car" bit but I stopped her. Yes, it's a car but It doesn't mean i'm not upset.

    I went up to see my son and told him I still love him and I knew it was an accident.

    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    A couple of weeks ago was out with my 10 year old son. Both my kids and wife know that this car is "different" than Dad's company car volvo LOL! Anyway, we were at a park and going home. He's actually pretty good about making sure there is enough clearance between the bottom of the door and a curb. This time, however he opened the door kind of hard and right into a chain link fence. I was already in the car and saw this and freaked. I told him not to touch it but sure enough he was already in the car and just pulled it out of the fence.

    The damage wasn't too bad as it was right on the edge of the door and is chipped. I tried really hard not to yell but he knew I was furious. I would have thrown up if I had done this myself.

    The ride home was only about 10 minutes (longest 10 minutes for him i bet) but I didn't say a word. We pulled into the garge and he went in the house. I stayed in to examine the damage. A minute later my wife came out with a pained expression on her face. She knew I was upset but she also said our son was up in his room hysterical crying. I felt pretty [beep]. She tried to give me the "it's only a car" bit but I stopped her. Yes, it's a car but It doesn't mean i'm not upset.

    I went up to see my son and told him I still love him and I knew it was an accident.



    Poor kid! I'm glad you handled it correctly.

    Re: Tell us your scratch dent ding burn scrape sto

    During the RennTeam gathering in Montreal last weekend one of the Hotel Valets manged to close the garage door on the hood of one of the cars and then backed up taking the front bumper off as well. Perhaps the member would like to provide more detail.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    576518 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino
     
     
     
     
     
    356415 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    85728 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/4/21 8:01 AM
    bluelines
    43207 328
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35017 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    32639 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/9/21 2:25 PM
    Porker
    14740 297
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4095 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    560621 5257
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/20/20 8:24 AM
    schmoell
    533215 4260
    Porsche Cayman GT4 4/12/21 7:15 AM
    GnilM
    400091 3571
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/11/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    355008 3912
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/27/20 4:06 PM
    Topspeed
    352076 3486
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/5/20 9:55 PM
    DaveGordon
    312189 3242
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    309505 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    215039 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    182085 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    160208 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    137919 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 4/11/21 7:38 PM
    Moser
    106807 1993
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    105229 1225
    McLaren F1 2/25/21 11:33 AM
    RCA
    76977 207
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 3/15/21 7:26 PM
    Enmanuel
    69311 1151
    AMG AMG GT R 11/19/20 11:47 PM
    Topspeed
    64427 819
    Lambo Aventador and SV 3/15/21 3:59 PM
    Topspeed
    63297 679
    Porsche 991 Speedster 9/3/20 4:29 PM
    Topspeed
    56251 878
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    42876 596
    Others Bugatti Chiron 4/10/21 11:02 PM
    bluelines
    36171 475
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    33489 615
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 3/21/21 5:01 PM
    Topspeed
    28526 385
    272 items found, displaying 1 to 30.